Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718101 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread
« Reply #1925 on: June 02, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »
Ok so what has everybody dl recently? I got River City Ransom last night. I have a question when you buy food and you die afterwards does the stat changes stay? what about books?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

« Reply #1926 on: June 02, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »
I downloaded The Adventures of Lolo a few days ago, but I've only played it once since then.  I spent an hour or two playing it the first night, but I oops-edly just turned off the console without saving first, so now I'm spurning Lolo and his cute catepillar enemies, too.

I'm sort of out of the loop; is there any mention of Ogre Battle or Ogre Battle 64 being brought to the VC?  I'll light up the world with the clicking of my heels if VC brings me Ogre Battle.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: June 02, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »
This Mondays games include 2 wiiware games and 1 VC title Toki Tori for 1000 points and Protothea 1000 points and for Vc a Neo Geo title Ninja Combat for 900 points.

Looks like I got my wish! PROTOTHEA! OH YEAH! Maybe I have a chance of beating this shooting game since I heard it's easy!

I got River City Ransom last night. I have a question when you buy food and you die afterwards does the stat changes stay? what about books?

From what I remember (I finally downloaded it last night too, but it's one of the key games of my childhood, and I recently went back and beat it after tracking down a copy at Funcoland), the only thing you lose when you die is your money. I'm pretty sure you keep your stats and book-learned abilities... and I think your items too?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1928 on: June 02, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »
Doctor Mario, River City Ransom.

I am not sure how the stats increase, but I think the really big increases when you die you lose them, but the +1 stuff I think stays, but I am not positive with that...River City confuses me so much.  I have spent time just trying to level up my character...and I dunno if I have done any good.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1929 on: June 02, 2008, 05:10:31 PM »
I downloaded The Adventures of Lolo a few days ago, but I've only played it once since then.  I spent an hour or two playing it the first night, but I oops-edly just turned off the console without saving first, so now I'm spurning Lolo and his cute catepillar enemies, too.

I'm sort of out of the loop; is there any mention of Ogre Battle or Ogre Battle 64 being brought to the VC?  I'll light up the world with the clicking of my heels if VC brings me Ogre Battle.
There isn't any information about Ogre Battle or Ogre Battle 64. There is Shining Force to tide you over.:)Kairon I am sure you are overjoyed about Today WW releases. Hey you wanted these titles to come out today...wish for Earthbound!
Thanks for the tip Spak-Spang and Kairon.:)
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1930 on: June 02, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
Some new ESRB additions
Art of Fighting 2, Fatal Fury 2, Dig Dug,Samurai Showdown, My Pokemon Ranch and Burning Fight.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: June 02, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »
Protothea looks like it was squeezed out faster than a dog can squeeze one out while running. Don't waste your 10 dollar bill, hold out for Gyostarr.

Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1932 on: June 02, 2008, 08:47:57 PM »
Protothea looks like it was squeezed out faster than a dog can squeeze one out while running. Don't waste your 10 dollar bill, hold out for Gyostarr.

I will do just that because between the gameplay styles Pyrothea seems a bit boring to me and Gyrostarr the game system reminds me of Four Sword Adventures. Competitive Co-op.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: June 02, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »
Protöthea looks like it has the slow pace of R-Type minus all the stuff that makes R-Type actually interesting.  But we'll see what the reviews say.
GOREGASM!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: June 02, 2008, 09:36:27 PM »
I don't know, it looked pretty cool.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: June 03, 2008, 02:06:55 AM »
Protöthea looks like it has the slow pace of R-Type minus all the stuff that makes R-Type actually interesting.  But we'll see what the reviews say.
IOW it's made in the west?

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: June 03, 2008, 02:22:03 AM »
I d'know, is that its problem?  I don't know what the differences in trends between eastern and western shmups are.
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: June 03, 2008, 03:38:22 AM »
Some new ESRB additions
Art of Fighting 2, Fatal Fury 2, Dig Dug,Samurai Showdown, My Pokemon Ranch and Burning Fight.

Hmm... I can't remember if I like Dig Dug.

Wow, I almost forgot about My Pokemon Ranch. That'll be....weird....

What's burning fight?

I am not sure how the stats increase, but I think the really big increases when you die you lose them, but the +1 stuff I think stays, but I am not positive with that...River City confuses me so much.  I have spent time just trying to level up my character...and I dunno if I have done any good.

I never felt that my stats dropped Spak-Spang, but I may be mistaken. Basically, I ignore a lot of stats in RCR. I just concentrate on stamina, willpower, and whichever "attack" stat my book ability uses. I usually up my kick while my brother buys the other book to up his punch. We usually only buy one book each though because there are many cases where you do only want a single punch instead of a flurry of attacks.

I've heard a lot that Pyrothea is very easy. That's an IMMENSE recommendation in a shooter to me. I usually celebrate wildly if I get to level two in any vertical scrolling shooter.

Gyrostarr DOES sound cool, but it also sounds hardcore... then again, I've never played a tempest game or anything remotely like it, so maybe.... still, it's gonna suck to die a lot.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: June 03, 2008, 03:47:05 AM »
I can understand the appeal of a shmup that doesn't completely kick your ass off if you're not great at the genre, but a dull game with a managable difficulty level doesn't seem much more worth playing to me than a good game that's too hard. :/
GOREGASM!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: June 03, 2008, 03:56:53 AM »
I d'know, is that its problem?  I don't know what the differences in trends between eastern and western shmups are.
Western shmups tend to have life bars, insane weapon powerup levels (think Tyrian) and enemies that require these upgrades to get anything done.

What's burning fight?
Some Neo Geo beat'em up, not sure about the quality.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: June 03, 2008, 04:03:51 AM »
I can understand the appeal of a shmup that doesn't completely kick your ass off if you're not great at the genre, but a dull game with a managable difficulty level doesn't seem much more worth playing to me than a good game that's too hard. :/

When you haven't beaten a game in ages, believe me, it's got appeal.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1941 on: June 03, 2008, 04:26:12 AM »
As KDR pointed out it is a beat em up like the Streets of Rage series. In fact it is a identical game. I haven't played the game so I will try to find more information.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: June 03, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »
When you haven't beaten a game in ages, believe me, it's got appeal.

Then get Toki Tori.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: June 03, 2008, 06:57:40 AM »
IGN's got a review for Protöthea up.  They describe it as dull and unpolished, and gave it a 5.4.

They also call it a challenging, hardcore shooter.  Good luck, Kairon!
GOREGASM!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: June 03, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
Hey All,

If you want to try a demo of Protothea go to the website below.  Ubisoft released this as a PC game a few years ago, and has now ported it to wii ware.  Once you play it for 30 secs, you'll want no more, guaranteed.

http://www.download.com/Protothea-demo/3000-7447_4-10371504.html?tag=lst-2&cdlPid=10371503

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: June 03, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »

ARGH! I died like, five times on the level two boss, and stage four is sorta smacking me down.

But all you haters can step off. I love this new, slower paced shooter with languidly scrolling stages. I love the feeling of actual 360 degree attention this requires since I can move and shoot anywhere easily. Even the inertia they give your ship makes it feel different from your standard shooter.

Yes, I can already pin point flaws and areas where the game would need some common sense improvement in order to rise above the morass(meaningful weapons, lack of ground enemies later, lack of multiplayer, lack of interactive level elements, offscreen enemies shooting at you, etc.), but the gameplay itself is a change of pace and I happen to find it refreshing and appealing. I REALLY hope that someone takes this concept and improves on it 300 % because it's got promise at its core.

Also, I found out that Sabarasa entertainment helped port the game to WiiWare. That's cool, those are the guys behind Mazes of Fate for the DS and GBA, and they're an indie based in Argentina. Happy to give them my support!

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: June 03, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »

. I REALLY hope that someone takes this concept and improves on it 300 % because it's got promise at its core.

Somebody already did, its Geometry Wars for the Wii.  I've had the game for 6 months now and I'm still addicted!  I think its only 30 bucks now for those that don't have it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: June 03, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »

. I REALLY hope that someone takes this concept and improves on it 300 % because it's got promise at its core.

Somebody already did, its Geometry Wars for the Wii.  I've had the game for 6 months now and I'm still addicted!  I think its only 30 bucks now for those that don't have it.

But it's not scrollong! I need the scroll! T_T

But yeah, I do need Geometry Wars... it's my biggest hole in the collection, my biggest regret.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: June 03, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
Get it, you won't regret it!!  Especially if you're into electronic music, you can just pop in your own mix and loose yourself in a world of strange shapes and destruction.  It'll probably drop down to 20 any day now!

Oh, but don't get the DS version, its just not the same.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1949 on: June 03, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »
I was waiting for Geometry Wars to drop in price.  I was hoping to pick it up around $19.99-$25.00  but I also don't want to miss out on it...perhaps I will pick it up if this Summer doesn't have any great games.