Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718132 times)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread
« Reply #1675 on: March 18, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
A friend of my brother had Spelunker on his NES.  I always find it interesting when someone I know had some obscure NES game that I had never heard of at the time.  How the hell does a kid end with such a game? 

I know one reason.  Parents who buy games and don't know which ones to buy.  That's how I ended up with Back To The Future for the NES, which was quite possibly the worst game ever made.  Which means, aside for the licensing issues, it should have made it to the VC by now.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 18, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »
I know one reason.  Parents who buy games and don't know which ones to buy.  That's how I ended up with Back To The Future for the NES, which was quite possibly the worst game ever made.  Which means, aside for the licensing issues, it should have made it to the VC by now.

Yeah but at least Back to the Future is based on a popular movie.  Spelunker is just obscure and when presented with the option of buying that for your kid or some popular "name" title why would you pick the obscure title unless you specifically heard your kid talking about it?

When I was a kid you heard about games through a handful of sources:
1. Nintendo Power
2. Other kids at school
3. The arcade (ie: arcade home conversion)
4. TV commercials
5. You liked a licence and found out through whatever means that there was a Nintendo game based on it

So I always wonder who was buying games at the time like Solomon's Key or Legacy of the Wizard or Clash at Demonhead.  It doesn't matter if the game is good or bad.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 18, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »
My first games aside, from the pack-in were Friday the 13th and XEXYZ. Yeah go ahead Ian try to figure that one out. I liked XEXYZ, as a kid, but it could have been because Friday the 13th sucked and besides Mario/Duck Hunt that was all we had to play. Now as an adult I think the only thing I like about the game is nostalgia, weird ain't it?

It is because people like my parents base what games they buy on 2 factors, what's in the bargain bin and what they can afford. My dad still tells me I "should have got the Sony Player" just because he recognizes the brand, he knows Nintendo and loves the Wii, but still tells me I made the wrong choice. He is dumb like that when it comes to games, most parents are.

EDIT: Which reminds me, why hasn't that game come to VC yet wasn't it made by Hudson? I know it had the little bee on the label.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
Yeah but at least Back to the Future is based on a popular movie.  Spelunker is just obscure and when presented with the option of buying that for your kid or some popular "name" title why would you pick the obscure title unless you specifically heard your kid talking about it?

Box art.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 19, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »
Price. I got Fire Fighter for the Gameboy because it was the only game in the store that was fairly cheap. It's not THAT bad but nothing outstanding either.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: March 20, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »
When I was a kid you heard about games through a handful of sources:
1. Nintendo Power
2. Other kids at school
3. The arcade (ie: arcade home conversion)
4. TV commercials
5. You liked a licence and found out through whatever means that there was a Nintendo game based on it

So I always wonder who was buying games at the time like Solomon's Key or Legacy of the Wizard or Clash at Demonhead.  It doesn't matter if the game is good or bad.

There's one other possible source: game rentals.  I used to rent games a lot in the 90s because, at least during the 8-bit and 16-bit generations, renting games was still relatively cheap...at least where I was living.  I always tried to be careful about which  games I personally bought.  However, I rented quite often, and, on occasion, I made rental choices based on box art.

In fact I remember renting both Legacy of the Wizard and Clash at Demonhead.   I really enjoyed the latter, actually.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 20, 2008, 09:50:48 PM »
We actually used to rent the CONSOLES just to play games before we ever bought our first NES. All my friends had Nintendo's and we still had our old faithful Atari, so to play the new games we either had to goto a friends house, or rent the console with the game of our choice. This wasn't an everyday thing but that was how I first enjoyed Super Mario Bros. 2
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1682 on: March 22, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
This Monday's games are Kings Knight for the Nes and Powerball for the Genesis. Kings Knight is a vertical shooter from Square and Powerball is I would say is a futuristic version of Dodgeball and it is from Namco.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:21:52 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: March 23, 2008, 06:31:31 AM »
Hmm.. Powerball... why does that sound familiar?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

« Reply #1684 on: March 23, 2008, 07:28:33 AM »
What are tonight's Powerball numbers?
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 23, 2008, 07:39:07 AM »
What are tonight's Powerball numbers?

Oh. *slinks away humiliated*

« Reply #1686 on: March 24, 2008, 04:23:48 AM »
Don't be humiligrated.  My last two posts featured pulltabs and lottery references, respectively.  I live in a pueblo of shame.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: March 28, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »
HOLY ****ING SH*T
http://gonintendo.com/?p=39017

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood is hitting the Virtual Console in Japan this April.  This means the chances are really good it will come to America eventually as well.

Espiecally since the PSP remake of the game bombed, I'd imagine Konami would want to release this right away in America.  Since nobody bought the PSP game, Konami doesn't have to worry about this effecting sales since there's no sales for this game to effect.

Plus if an unknown game like DoReMi got released here in America, then it's almost a given since Rondo of Blood is from a well known series in America.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 28, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »
SWEET! ... uh... except I don't really play Castlevania games that much... STILL! I'm excited for Nintendo's sake!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1689 on: March 28, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
This Mondays games are Crusin USA for the N64 and Wonderboy for the Sega Master System. I remember playing Crusin USA. I liked all the unlockables. As for Wonderboy haven't played it or any SMS games. What are some good games for it?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:28:04 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 28, 2008, 09:28:26 PM »
I already have The Dynastic Hero.  Don't need anymore Wonderboy games.
GOREGASM!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1691 on: March 28, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »
HOLY ****ING SH*T
http://gonintendo.com/?p=39017

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood is hitting the Virtual Console in Japan this April.  This means the chances are really good it will come to America eventually as well.

Espiecally since the PSP remake of the game bombed, I'd imagine Konami would want to release this right away in America.  Since nobody bought the PSP game, Konami doesn't have to worry about this effecting sales since there's no sales for this game to effect.

Plus if an unknown game like DoReMi got released here in America, then it's almost a given since Rondo of Blood is from a well known series in America.
This is great news. I am kinda like Kairon in that I haven't played many Castlevania games. Of those that I have played I have enjoyed.InstaDownload.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 29, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
My frothing demand for all things 2D Castlevania demands Rondo of Blood be released immediately.  Castlevania III, too, please.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 29, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »
This Mondays games are Crusin USA for the N64 and Wonderboy for the Sega Master System. I remember playing Crusin USA. I liked all the unlockables. As for Wonderboy haven't played it or any SMS games. What are some good games for it?

Cruisin' was one of those terrible games I did not yet know was terrible. haha
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1694 on: March 29, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »

I would have to disagree with you the first two were good after that I would have to agree.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: March 29, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »
My frothing demand for all things 2D Castlevania demands Rondo of Blood be released immediately.  Castlevania III, too, please.

Yes. More 2D Castlevania games please.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #1696 on: March 30, 2008, 02:32:45 AM »

I would have to disagree with you the first two were good after that I would have to agree.

Some of us STILL don't know that they're terrible.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1697 on: March 30, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »

Some of us STILL don't know that they're terrible.
Well it is my opinion.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: March 31, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »
I liked Cruisin' USA in the arcades but the N64 port was too compromised.  I especially felt that controls weren't as smooth.  Considering it was an "Ultra 64" game in the arcades I assumed the port would be perfect and was very upset at it wasn't.

But then a big part of the thrill at the time was "hey look it's a 3D racing game".  We soon got overloaded with 3D racers but at first that was a very new thing.  Each console had a port of an arcade 3D racing game.  The Saturn had Daytona USA, the Playstation had Ridge Racer and the N64 had Cruisin' USA.  Before then the only games like that on consoles were Virtua Racing and Stunt Race FX and they both had very blocky polygons and low framerates.  Cruisin' USA had vehicles that actually looked like cars!  Holy crap!

It doesn't help that even if you compare the arcade versions of those three titles I mentioned, the one on the Nintendo console was by far the worst.  In retrospect a lot of third party N64 games achieved more praise than they normally would have due to not having to compete with a better selection on the Playstation.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: March 31, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »
I downloaded Cruisn Today, I loved that game even if it wasn't all that good.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144