Poll

Which game should RFN podcast crew and listeners play and discuss for RetroActive?

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)
27 (42.9%)
Pokemon Pinball (GB/GBC Dual-Mode)
8 (12.7%)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (GBC)
4 (6.3%)
Wario Land 3 (GBC)
16 (25.4%)
Metal Gear Solid a.k.a. Ghost Babel (GBC)
8 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 01:27:32 AM

Author Topic: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition  (Read 30251 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:27:32 AM »
Note: All of these games will play on Game Boy Color, original Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, and the Game Boy Player accessory for GameCube. None will play on the Game Boy Micro or Nintendo DS/Lite. Only Metroid 2 and Pokemon Pinball are compatible with the original Game Boy (Fat/Light/Pocket/Super).

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (1991)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002SVEM/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1270356981&sr=8-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=metroid+2&_sacat=See-All-Categories
This unusual case of a numbered sequel released on a handheld lives up to its title, with numerous improvements and additions over the original NES game. This is the first appearance of elements like the Spider Ball, Spazer Beam, save points, and crouching. Players only familiar with the first and third Metroid games will be surprised to find that this black and white, handheld game clearly bridges that gap and in fact looks and feels much more like Super Metroid. The game structure, however, is unique within the series, as Samus explores deeper and deeper into SR-388 to drive the Metroid species to extinction but finds the creatures have mutated into increasingly dangerous forms.

Pokemon Pinball (1999)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000031KJL/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1270357385&sr=8-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pokemon+pinball&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=metroid+2&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
Arguably the most successful Pokemon spin-off game, both in sales and quality, this is an excellent and accessible pinball game with one major twist. Playing well offers chances to capture Pokemon and build up your Pokedex, just like in the RPGs. This feature, and all the mechanics supporting it, bring a longevity and depth to Pokemon Pinball that is rarely found in the genre. Note that this black cartridge will run on the original Game Boy (in black and white) or Game Boy Color (in full color). The game has built-in rumble powered by a single battery, but this feature is entirely optional and doesn't work well in the Game Boy Player.

Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (1999)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004R9HX/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270357866&sr=1-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bionic+commando+elite+forces&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=pokemon+pinball&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
This overlooked action-platformer, developed at Nintendo Software Technologies, is more sequel than remake to the classic NES game. The level designs are nearly all new, and the characters (including a new female commando) have new moves. They'll need them, because this GBC exclusive is extremely challenging, just like its predecessors and successors.

Wario Land 3 (2000)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004S99X/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270357931&sr=1-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=wario+land+3&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=bionic+commando+elite+forces&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
Although the previous game in the series was re-released as a dual-mode cartridge near the GBC launch, Wario Land 3 takes full advantage of the hardware as a GBC-exclusive game. This sprawling platformer features a non-linear world map, multiple level exits, upgradeable abilities, and brilliant puzzles. As in WL2, our anti-hero is immortal -- enemies either knock away coins or transform Wario into a variety of altered states that can be simultaneously annoying, useful, and hilarious. Both in technology and game design, this may well be the most ambitious GBC title from Nintendo before the platform was pushed aside for the Game Boy Advance launch.

Metal Gear Solid, a.k.a. "Ghost Babel" (2000)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004LC81/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270358415&sr=1-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=metal+gear+solid+game+boy&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_odkw=wario+land+3&_osacat=0&bkBtn=
Though sharing a name and some elements from the PlayStation MGS, this handheld game is entirely original and is considered canonical within the Metal Gear franchise. It is played from an overhead, 2D perspective like the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, but incorporates more modern controls and features from the 3D revival. Famously, MGS for Game Boy spent years as the #1 best-reviewed video game among all platforms at GameRankings.com. It is currently #12 and the highest ranking handheld game on that list.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:37:44 AM »
Additional Notes:

There were several requests for Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons/Ages. After much deliberation, I decided to omit these games, for multiple reasons. First, it would be difficult to choose among the three, and I certainly wouldn't want Zelda games competing against each other when there are many other worthy Game Boy nominees. Second, we have already covered a Zelda game (Adventure of Link) on RetroActive. Third, I am actively trying to showcase lesser-known games and avoid landslide victories by extremely famous/popular games that have already been discussed on our show and/or elsewhere.

Perfect Dark for Game Boy Color was a recent Shout-Out in Listener Mail and certainly seems to be an interesting game. However, I believe it is similar (at least superficially) to Metal Gear Solid, and the latter is widely considered to be superior, although perhaps equally obscure.

I intentionally avoided RPGs due to a preponderance of that genre in previous RetroActive features.

There will be a separate Game Boy Advance poll in the future -- though not necessarily to follow immediately after this one.

I tried to avoid games that are expensive or unusually difficult to find, or incredibly obscure. Hopefully the candidates include games that most listeners are familiar with, but maybe have not played or need to revisit.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:54 AM »
Metriod 2!!!

Been holding on to a copy I got a while ago in anticipation for this game to get it's chance. Hope it wins.

Though I do want to try Ghost Babel.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:16:09 AM »
Voted for Metroid 2, may not like the game much but it should provide for an interesting discussion on how the series started to evolve.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:32:21 AM »
I've cast my vote, but honestly I'd be happy with any of these.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:51:58 AM »
Wario Land 3, please & thanks.

It feels like it's been so long since I played it... having played WL4 and The Shake Dimension in the interrim, I would love to see how it holds up now.
All I can remember about the game is the deranged rabbit boss who plays football (soccer) against you.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:51 AM »
Hmm... Interesting poll.  I own all games except Pokemon Pinball.  I'd also have to rebuy Bionic Commando since the copy I bought a few years ago (lost my original) is buggy.  But I love that game so I wouldn't mind.  Metroid 2 is still one of my favorites ever.  I don't remember much about Metal Gear other than I really liked it.  And I didn't love Wario Land 3 like I expected coming off of the second game. 

I think I'm going to vote for Metroid 2: The Return of Samus.  Like I said the game is fantastic.  And I already know that I have a lot to say about it.  Plus like Zelda 2, it seems to be somewhat of a black sheep of the series and I like that for some reason. 

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »
I'll be honest--I don't plan to participate in this RetroActive.  My SP is at my parents' house so I don't have a means of easily playing a GB/GBC game.  That said, I think MGS would probably yield the most interesting discussion so I'm going to vote for that.

Metroid II has been discussed previously on RFN.
I don't have much interest in Pokemon or Pinball so I don't know how much can actually be said about a game that combines both.
Bionic Commando is pretty much the same game as the NES game and the recent remake.
I wouldn't mind Wario Land 3, as I love the game, but since both Jonny and Greg have spoken at length about Shake It, there will be a lot of ground that's already been covered.

Ghost Babel is an interesting title if for no other reason that the developers somehow managed to squeeze a Metal Gear Solid game into a tiny GBC cartridge--quite successfully, from what I understand.  There aren't a lot of games like this on GBC (or even GBA, for that matter) so I think it deserves a second look.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »
...WL3 and Shake It are fairly different games, vudu.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »
Let's see, I own three of these. Though Pokémon Pinball I have on a pirated 35-in-1 cartridge which I bought not knowing what it was.

It's between Metroid 2 and Wario Land 3 for me. I don't like Metroid 2, it's pretty bland, and far too maze-like considering the lack of a map. It doesn't help that every area looks basically the same. Really, a Metroid game was a bad choice for such a primitive piece of hardware. Wario Land 3 is fun, though I liked Wario Land II better. I'm not sure if it'd make for a good conversation piece though...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
I went with Metroid 2.  Yes, it's been mentioned fairly often on RFN already, but I don't feel that it's actually been discussed much.  Besides, of all the games on this list it's the only one I think I could find interesting to hear about, given that I have no way or desire to play any of these games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
I voted Wario Land III, partially because I've never played it. I do have a copy of Metroid II I got last year that I've been looking for an excuse to bust out my Game Boy Player and play, so I won't be too bummed if that wins.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
I went with Pokémon Pinball. Even if you are not a fan of Pokémon, it is still a excellent pinball games and pinball games don't get as much love as they should.

I've never played Metroid II: Return of Samus, but i've heard enough people talk about it that I don't want to play it. The general consensus i've read is that the game has aged terribly.

Wario Land 3 is alright and would be my second choice.

I have no interest in Bionic Commando: Elite Forces or Metal Gear Solid.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:35:15 PM »
Have you always italicized the titles of games, TJ, or is that just something you recently started doing?

It does make posts like nicer in my opinion.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
I've never understood the 'hate' for Metroid II.  Aside from the graphics (which isn't something that bothers me), I don't really get the complaints about how well the game has 'aged'.  The lack of a map option (one I believe Pale has complained about as well) has always seemed kinda weak to me - the game is *small*.  Very *small*.  Like, it can easily be beaten within 1 1/2 hours by an average player.

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/GB-GBC/MetroidII-ReturnOfSamus-SR388.png

It's super small.  There's no need for a map, here.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »
Considering you have to backtrack through areas that all look the same, searching for Metroids many of which look the same, the lack of any indicator of where you've been, what you've collected, and what you've defeated is a pretty big detriment. It doesn't really matter what size the game is, I wouldn't want to beat it in a single sitting and it's very difficult to pick it back up again later due to the lack of direction.

The game has other issues, which I'll get into if the game is picked.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
There's not a whole lot of back tracking - with a few minor exceptions, the game is actually fairly linear.  I dunno - maybe I'm just able to piece the flow of the game together better, making a mental-map in my head or something.  I was never deterred by the lack of a map.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »

Bionic Commando is pretty much the same game as the NES game and the recent remake.

I disagree.  Yeah the original gameboy version is essentially the NES version and Rearmed is a HD version of the NES game.  But the Gameboy Color game is quite different.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
I voted Bionic Commando, I absolutely love the music in the GBC version!
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Have you always italicized the titles of games, TJ, or is that just something you recently started doing?

It does make posts like nicer in my opinion.

I started doing it a couple of weeks ago, for the same reason you stated (I think it looks nicer).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
Went with Metroid 2 because it's such an interesting "in-between" title for the series, and introduces a LOT of modern elements. However, I'd be perfectly happy with Bionic Commando: Elite Forces because it's SUCH A GOOD GAME and it would give me an excuse to track down and buy again.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
If anyone is wondering what Pokemon Pinball is doing on this list, maybe this will help explain things: it is one of my most-played games of all time. I must have put at least 100 hours into it, often in stretches of 3-5 hours each. There's something special about a pinball game that can keep my interest that way, and I think it's the collecting psychology of Pokemon being integrated so well.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »
I've never played Metroid 2 before, but I've heard a lot about it and I've always wanted to give it a try.  I would pick up that game to play along for this Retro Active, so  I voted for Metroid 2.

Jonny...which ever game wins, please give an extra week or two for the play through since unlike the traditional Retro Active, we can't just download these games on the Virtual Console.  We have to wait for the mail man to bring them from eBay, which could take as long as 10 days.  I'd hate to buy a game only to have it arrive after the discussion is complete.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:17:16 PM by Jet Pilot »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 10:32:20 PM »
There are also local game stores that sell handheld games, I think only BC: EF might be hard to find.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
Quote from: Jonnyboy117 link=topic=30997.msg598630#msg598630   date=1270359464
Additional Notes:

Second, we have already   covered a Zelda game (Adventure of Link) on RetroActive.

We did do a Super Metroid Retrospective...

Honestly, I'm all out of Metroid.  Wario Land 3 sounds good, so I voted for that, but Ghost Babel is intriguing.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report