Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda Wii U No Longer Prioritized For a 2015 Release  (Read 7920 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda Wii U No Longer Prioritized For a 2015 Release
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »
Regarding the Xenoblade:Zelda competition... uh, this is the Wii U.  So you buy one but not the other and then once you're done with the first there is nothing else available at all so you buy the second.  The competition is if the user owns another console to take away their attention.  If not they'll likely to catch up during an inevitable drought.  My Wii U owning friend must have every first party Wii U release because if he didn't he'd have nothing to play.

The thing is these are both going to be 100+ hour games.  The average person will easily spend months playing them and then when they're done, they'll probably want to play something else because they're burned out from a giant open world game.  If both games came out this fall, most Wii U owners would have chosen Zelda and by the time they finished it, there could be another new installment from a long running Nintendo franchise to take their attention from Xenoblade or some people might just feel they've had their open world fix from Zelda alone.

That's the advantage to being a long running franchise and more popular like Zelda compared to Xenoblade.  People are going to play Zelda no matter what because it's Zelda.  Even if they don't get it at launch, they'll eventually buy it sometime down the road because of the brand name alone.  Xenoblade on the other hand doesn't have that luxury and so needs to get as many people buying it right away or else it could easily be forgotten about several months later because it lacks the name recognition.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »
Not angry, not disappointed, no surprised. First thing that came to mind was that this game would get the Twilight Princess treatment. I could see this and the NX launching at the end of 2016. Zelda releases on the NX first and then a few weeks later on the Wii U. Sure Wii U only gets 4 years but this is a really dire time for Nintendo. Only the biggest Nintendo fans seem to have bought the Wii U anyway so those guys like me will probably be there for the NX day one any way. I doubt anyone is going to feel burned especially since the X-Box went 4 years and then it was 360 all the way.

And in all honesty, if that is their plan I don't blame Nintendo at all. Think about how much "new" Zeldas always seem to fall further and further behind in sales and general perception with gamers. There was 10 times more interest in the Majoras Mask remake than Skyward Sword or A Link Between Worlds. I mean man, how do those working on the game feel about that? The hierarchy goes Mario > Pokemon > Donkey Kong > Animal Crossing > Zelda.  This is the world we live in now. Nintendo knows at this point only a fraction of the few million people who got the Wii U will get this anyway. So let em push it on a brand new console as the definitive Zelda we've all dreamed off.

Of course I say this like it's set in stone but not even being shown at E3? Remember SS's demo? One tiny little forest area just toying with weapons, a mini boss and a bigger boss. I bet they can show and demo that right now if they want to. They want this Zelda out of sight and out of mind. So when they do announce that brand new console this will be their flagship game to make people hyped.

I know we normally think of casuals when regarding the Wii but that launch had a million and 1 die hard gamers trying to get the new Zelda yesterday. There is no way Nintendo didn't notice that. They figured they could get the same results with another 2D Mario but I think they are going with last gens strategy.

Then you got the 30 year anniversary of Zelda in 2016 and boom! Super mega hype extreme! To the max! You just watch.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:54 PM »
And in all honesty, if that is their plan I don't blame Nintendo at all. Think about how much "new" Zeldas always seem to fall further and further behind in sales and general perception with gamers. There was 10 times more interest in the Majoras Mask remake than Skyward Sword or A Link Between Worlds. I mean man, how do those working on the game feel about that?

The **** is this ****?  Skyward Sword sold 3.7 million, something Majora's Mask 3D won't even get close to.  Even Ocarina of Time 3D hasn't reached Skyward Sword numbers and that's a remake of a more popular game. Hell, Link Between Worlds was at 2.5 million as of March 31st of 2014 which was only a few months after it's holiday 2013 release, which was now a year ago.  For all we know the game could be over 3 million by now which is pretty close to the original lifetime sales of the N64 version of Majora's Mask which only did 3.4 million.

Once again, just because a vocal minority on the internet loves to always bitch about the newest Zelda's, doesn't mean the rest of the world feels the same way.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »
And in all honesty, if that is their plan I don't blame Nintendo at all. Think about how much "new" Zeldas always seem to fall further and further behind in sales and general perception with gamers. There was 10 times more interest in the Majoras Mask remake than Skyward Sword or A Link Between Worlds. I mean man, how do those working on the game feel about that?

The **** is this ****?  Skyward Sword sold 3.7 million, something Majora's Mask 3D won't even get close to.  Even Ocarina of Time 3D hasn't reached Skyward Sword numbers and that's a remake of a more popular game. Hell, Link Between Worlds was at 2.5 million as of March 31st of 2014 which was only a few months after it's holiday 2013 release, which was now a year ago.  For all we know the game could be over 3 million by now which is pretty close to the original lifetime sales of the N64 version of Majora's Mask which only did 3.4 million.

Once again, just because a vocal minority on the internet loves to always bitch about the newest Zelda's, doesn't mean the rest of the world feels the same way.

Don't curse at me like I personally insulted you. Then again maybe I did. I didn't say anything about sales of any games that have been out for several years now. My point is anecdotal sure but with those opening sales of Mojoras Mask I have to think there is more interest and positive mind share in it then a brand new game like Link Between Worlds. For a game that was the 2nd black sheep of the franchise it sure has been getting a lot of praise lately and hasn't been nearly as divisive amongst fans as SS.   
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
That's just recency bias.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV