Author Topic: Nintendo Of America Lowers Suggested Price Of 2DS  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Of America Lowers Suggested Price Of 2DS
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:26:07 AM »

Now how much would you pay?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40990/nintendo-of-america-lowers-suggested-price-of-2ds

Nintendo of America has just announced their first hardware price drop in nearly two years, with the 2DS benefitting.

A press statement announced that the entry level handheld will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $99.99 effective August 30. Mario Kart 7 will still be included in all 2DS systems.

The last MSRP reduction on Nintendo hardware came with the reduction of the Deluxe Wii U to $299.99.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Of America Lowers Suggested Price Of 2DS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
Good to hear, for the first time in about 7 years Nintendo has a well priced handheld, even if it's the gimped little brother version.  It's sold better than I thought at 4 million or so (or at least 1/4 of 3DS sales since and where it's available).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »
Makes sense.  The 2DS immediately looked all the more inferior once the New 3DS came out.  At this price it works well for its intended purpose of a cheap model to get your kid so they can play Pokémon.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »
At this price I might buy one for my kids!!!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
Wait a second, is that $99, WITH Mario Kart 7 included? That's a premier pack-in title, is this the cheapest a Nintendo handheld has ever gotten if you take the pack-in into consideration?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
You might be right Kairon.  I don't think the GCN had a pack in once it was $99.  I think the NES still had the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt pack in at $99 though.  But it may not have been considered worth a high price at that point.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
I felt that this model should have launched at this price, so nice to see it finally reach it.

Wait a second, is that $99, WITH Mario Kart 7 included? That's a premier pack-in title, is this the cheapest a Nintendo handheld has ever gotten if you take the pack-in into consideration?
Not by the numbers, no. The Game Boy was $99.99 when it launched, and included Tetris, headphones, and 4 AA batteries. Later on, the Game Boy Basic Set was sold at $49.99.

If you factor inflation into the equation, then it might be, but that's tough to nail down.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »
At that pricepoint, with MK7 included, I'm considering buying one for my kid's birthday or for Christmas.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »
The worst model of the 3DS with a boring Mario Kart game. Damn right it should be $99.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.