Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Confirmed  (Read 9571 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
New Super Mario Bros. 2 Confirmed
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »

A true sequel to 2006's 2D revival game is coming, sooner than you think!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29903

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is coming to 3DS in North America, Europe, and Japan in August, Satoru Iwata revealed during Nintendo Direct today. Nintendo of America confirmed the North American release on Twitter shortly after. Nintendo of Europe confirmed it during their own Nintendo Direct the several hours later.

The brief imagery shown featured Raccoon Mario, with a full flying ability just like in Super Mario Bros 3 complete with a P-charge bar in the lower left corner. The screenshots also showed climbable spider webs, a sparkling golden Mario charging through a castle level, and a level crowded with shiny golden enemies.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Adrianwii

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Miiverse - AndrewIdaho
Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Confirmed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
Looks like a good game but the graphics should be more updated. The game should of been called "New Super Mario Bros 3D" because New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the 2nd version.
Nintendo Gamer since 2002
Favorite Games: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64, Mario Party 10

Offline Eyothrie

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:24 PM »
P-wing!
RTR!

Offline Karmacode

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
I was hoping with "New Super Mario Bros. 2" they would incorporate some SMB2 elements.
3DS: 3866-8385-5554
Gamertag: K4RM4CODE

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
NOA confirmed on their Facebook page that NSMB2 is releasing in the US this August!
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5672-8390

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:05:25 AM »
"No release markets outside of Japan were confirmed."

Really guys? It's Mario, it will be sold everywhere.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »
Now I can finally get rid of NSMB DS. Hopefully the 3DS version will have a level editor.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:51 AM »
So this year we will getting New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Mii? Well, I guess Nintendo wants to make it's bottom line look good for investors.

I hope there will be a bunch of new and interesting mechanics and levels in both games that excite me, but given previous entries of the series I expect the games will be safe and familiar. They will probably be fun to play, though.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »
LEVEL EDITOR PLEASE!

K thnx

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »
I demand to know what team is behind this and the Wii U version. Hopefully these games are more inspired than their predecessors.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »
Flying opens up the level design considerably. I would like Nintendo to move on from the New series because I feel like its constricting their creativity. Still, the leaf power up has potential to spice up the gameplay. I'll be buying this since I buy every Mario game and I like 2D games. Seems like a step backwards from Super Mario 3D Land though.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »
Like it or not, New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii both sold incredibly well. That trend could very well continue with this game.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:36:25 AM »
At least they didn't continue the add-words-to-name pattern and name it "New Super Mario Bros. Wii 3DS".

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 02:03:40 AM »
At least they didn't continue the add-words-to-name pattern and name it "New Super Mario Bros. Wii 3DS".

Technically, NSMB Wii was the 2nd game, so this should be called "New Super Mario Bros. 3".

Hopefully the Koopa Kids are back! And since this is taking many cues from Super Mario Bros. 3, I expect to see a level with the Kuribo Shoe...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »
The fact that this is coming out in August means NSMB Wii U probably isn't going to come out until sometime in 2013.  Since the Wii U isn't going to come out until November, there's no way in hell Nintendo is going to release two 2D Mario games within 3 months of each other.  Mario Galaxy 2 was done by the end of 2009 but Nintendo delayed its release over 6 months because they didn't want it to take away any attention for NSMB Wii's during the 2009 holiday season.  Considering gameplay wise, Galaxy 2 was very different from NSMB, and yet Nintendo delayed it 6 months, I wouldn't expect NSMB Wii U to come out until at least mid 2013 now.

I mean really, just look at how the holiday season would go this year if Nintendo released both games.  One 2D Mario game for $40 on a $170 system, while another ones $50 on a $300 system.  Yeah I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows which game the majority of the Mario audience would by this holiday and sense the Wii U is launching this November and will really need the holiday sales to give it a great launch, using a NSMB just isn't an option anymore since the 3DS will have just gotten a similar game and take away most attention a Wii U version would originally have gotten during the same time.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 02:12:44 AM »
Can't wait!  ;D

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 02:13:10 AM »
Yeah I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows which game the majority of the Mario audience would by this holiday and sense the Wii U is launching this November and will really need the holiday sales to give it a great launch, using a NSMB just isn't an option anymore since the 3DS will have just gotten a similar game and take away most attention a Wii U version would originally have gotten during the same time.
Well, then, wouldn't it make more sense to delay the 3DS game so Nintendo can launch Wii U with a Mario game?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 02:20:02 AM »

I mean really, just look at how the holiday season would go this year if Nintendo released both games.  One 2D Mario game for $40 on a $170 system, while another ones $50 on a $300 system.

I'd love to know where you got those prices from. The Wii U Mario game could be downloadable for all we know.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 02:26:56 AM »
Well, then, wouldn't it make more sense to delay the 3DS game so Nintendo can launch Wii U with a Mario game?

Yes it really would.  Having a NSMB for the Wii U launch would have worked perfectly sense it would have been exactly 3 years since NSMB Wii came out which would have given the Wii U version a huge amount of attention.  Nintendo has now taken away a lot of NSMB Wii U's hype since there's already a newer NSMB that be fresh in everyone's mind with nobody really feeling a need to buy NSMB Wii U right away because they'll have just played the 3DS version.

This kind of makes me wonder if there's going to be something radically different about the Wii U version now that really sets both games apart because the Wii U game is going to need something to get people's attention because right now the 3DS version is going to overshadow it if both games end up similar.

I'd love to know where you got those prices from. The Wii U Mario game could be downloadable for all we know.

NSMB Wii sold over 20 million copies as a $50 game before Nintendo even started packing it in with the systems.  I don't need to find any facts because Nintendo is a company that loves money and if they know they can sell a game like NSMB on a home console for $50 and sell 20 million copies, they're going to release its sequel for another $50.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 03:22:22 AM »
Maybe it isn't New Super Mario Bros. Mii anymore but Super Mario Bros. 4 by Good Feel.

I don't know if this is crazier in the wishful thinking department, but perhaps New Super Mario Bros. Mii is smaller game than expected and is loaded on to every Wii U as the launch period pack-in. Maybe there could be some connectivity between New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Mii as well.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 03:37:20 AM »
Maybe it isn't New Super Mario Bros. Mii anymore but Super Mario Bros. 4 by Good Feel.

I don't know if this is crazier in the wishful thinking department, but perhaps New Super Mario Bros. Mii is smaller game than expected and is loaded on to every Wii U as the launch period pack-in. Maybe there could be some connectivity between New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Mii as well.

Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros. 4 (in Japan, it has "Super Mario Bros. 4" as a subtitle).

Technically, that would make NSMB DS "Super Mario Bros. 5", and NSMB Wii "Super Mario Bros. 6". That would mean NSMB 2 (3DS) is "Super Mario Bros. 7".

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:16 AM »
This kind of makes me wonder if there's going to be something radically different about the Wii U version now that really sets both games apart because the Wii U game is going to need something to get people's attention because right now the 3DS version is going to overshadow it if both games end up similar.
I was thinking the same thing. What if Wii U still launches with Mario but it's not a "New" series entry? What if it's it's own line? That would certainly draw attention more than a sequel would, granted it doesn't suck. That would be the best case scenario.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »
Flying opens up the level design considerably. I would like Nintendo to move on from the New series because I feel like its constricting their creativity. Still, the leaf power up has potential to spice up the gameplay. I'll be buying this since I buy every Mario game and I like 2D games. Seems like a step backwards from Super Mario 3D Land though.

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. This is a very safe announcement, delving into familiar territory. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course; I greatly enjoyed both NSMB and NSMB Wii, and I'm sure this will be lots of fun as well. But will it be as clever or unique as Super Mario 3D Land? I'm leaning towards 'no', though who can say at this point with just a handful of screenshots to go on? Here's hoping that they've got some real surprises in store.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »

Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros. 4 (in Japan, it has "Super Mario Bros. 4" as a subtitle).

Technically, that would make NSMB DS "Super Mario Bros. 5", and NSMB Wii "Super Mario Bros. 6". That would mean NSMB 2 (3DS) is "Super Mario Bros. 7".

Not at all. Fans don't get to pick which count. That would be like saying that Halo 3 should have been called Halo 4.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 08:54:41 AM »
And where does Super Mario Advanced 3: Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 fit into that numbering system?