Author Topic: Episode 307: Don't Let Your Kids Huff the Warm Mushroom Cookies  (Read 13113 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 307: Don't Let Your Kids Huff the Warm Mushroom Cookies
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
I'm editing much of this week, and I'm not quite done yet. I'll be up tonight...at some time.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 06:30:42 AM »
FTL is an absolutely fantastic game. It is a very easy game to lose a couple hours on as you fight your way through one encounter at time, sometimes by the skin on your teeth, while at other times trumping the opposition so hard you take pity.

I haven't unlocked the secret ship yet, but my current favorite is Mantis ship type B with it's 4 teleport pads. Who needs guns when you can send 4 veteran mantis to disembowel everybody on the ship for maximum loot. With it's starting load out it has a high enough defense ability to stop damage from most attacks. It does lack gun of any kind, which means running away from sector 1 drones if they have unconnected rooms and the scrape cost for the weapon system power is steep for that second bar. but by sector 3 you are rolling in the cash.

The boss is pretty much a walk over at this point. It doesn't have any real tricks, so once you know what it does, you can methodically take it apart with minimal damage.

If you are having trouble with boarders, invest in doors, max it out and introduce them to the finer points of space travel by opening the air locks on them. Let them see stars and choke the bitches out. It is also great for fires.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »
I personally upgraded my doors to max and would vent out the air.  That rarely did anything to the boarders but slow them down.  I have yet to see the lack of air stop boarders.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »
It depends on the situation. With max doors a pair of humans beaming into an double airlock and you immediately expose them to vacuum, they are dead. Mantis will break out if they attack the same door otherwise die, but be weakened and killed in the next room as that goes into vacuum. Just make sure you keep the door behind them open.

If four mantis beam into the engine room of the Kestral Type A, evacuate it, open it to space. They might do one point of engine damage, but they will then be too busy trying to get out of the airless room to do more harm. You then drive them towards the weapons room making sure the back third is spaced as they break through each door. You can then fight them there as they have been heavily weakened or you can open the middle airlocks and continues to flush them to the front of the ship towards the medbay.

It gets real messy if they beam into the front of the ship in the type A as flushing them towards the medbay is a lot more involved and abandoning the pilot seat is last resort in a fire fight.

The key to dealing with boarders to to set it up so that they fight on your terms. Even if you don't kill them, if they came from a ship they will retreat and not come back. Yeah it sucks a little to lose the crew bonus, but it's better than losing the crew or the system. Also remember the air in the ship has a rudimentarily phyisics system. More doors you open, quicker air escapes. To get air back into a room faster, use the open all doors button, but remember to press the close all doors button first then open all and only once as clicking twice will open all doors which will almost immediately space the ship.

Even if you don't space them, doors gives your guys time to get back to the medbay to heal and fight them for another round. Max doors can actually contain a fire long enough for it to burn itself out.

Of course if you have a Mantis team of your own, you can counter board them before they can board you keeping the fight on their ship. Or a preigniter to blow out that system, but they will try to board once the system is repaired and if the boarding party is still alive.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »
I've been really behind on podcasts, so I only listened to this tonight. I'll be student teaching in the spring, and I will definitely be doing a survey like the one mentioned here.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
I've been really behind on podcasts, so I only listened to this tonight. I'll be student teaching in the spring, and I will definitely be doing a survey like the one mentioned here.
With the added Question of:
Who do you think is the best Moderator on NintendoWorldReport.com:
NWR_Insanolord
JP Corbran
Insanolord
One of those other Guys
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
I always guide boarders to my medbay and kill them there unless I'm flying a boarding ship (which usually means that I have a strong enough crew to waste all invaders wherever I please).