Author Topic: METROID PRIME 2  (Read 96798 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
RE: METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #575 on: December 10, 2004, 01:05:28 AM »
The only thing Echoes lacks is the wow factor, which generally is to be expected. It's entirely on par with Prime, and the number of refinements shown make it an improvement over an already "structurally perfect game".

My one only grudge with both Prime and Echoes is the camera transition from first to third person. When Samus is facing in an opposite direction [in first person] for which the camera has to change [to go to morph ball], the camera goes more nuts in Echoes than Prime.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 15, 2004, 09:08:43 AM »
I've been avoiding this thread for the past month because I wanted to avoid any and all spoilers.  I just picked up the game yesterday, and I have one simple question.

Are there any items/creatures/enemies (besides bosses) that can only be scanned at one time in the game?

The first time I played Metroid Prime, I didn't scan the wasps from the missle mini-boss because I didn't realise they were a seperate entry from the normal wasps.  I'd like to avoid making a similar mistake this time around.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 15, 2004, 09:35:40 AM »
Yes, there are several.  You want to be very careful because there are several enemies that appear only once.  Constantly check with your scan visor like I did, look at an enemy really quick even if you think you might have already scanned it; one or two look very similar to other enemies.  Most are in pretty obvious boss-like situations, like mini-bosses, though not all.  Some minibosses start out as light world creatures and get possessed, and don't appear again in the game, so you want to be sure to scan the normal and dark enemy.
I got 100% scans, but you've got to be very attentive toward everything.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 15, 2004, 10:52:33 AM »
I'm at 83%.

I'm a little upset with a blatant rehash of an enemy: the luminoth cleaning drone in MP2 is just basically the pulse bombu in MP1.

Offline mjbd

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #579 on: December 26, 2004, 09:41:53 AM »
I got Metroid Prime for christmas, and so far I like it even better than the first.  The visuals are some of the best in a videogame, but its really the level design that sets it apart.  On a technical standpoint, I think they have outdid themselves in every area, even the framerate is silky smooth.  Gotta get back to playing, but this is definately the game of the year.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

« Reply #580 on: December 28, 2004, 02:26:20 PM »
Anyone need help on first encounter of Dark Samus or Amorbis? Read On!
What, Retro Studios is Awesome!  They made Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2 echoes and Thunder Rally*, an Action Adventure game*, Retro NFL Football* and an RPG*(I think).
*supposed to be for "Dolphin"(GameCube) but got thrown away.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 29, 2004, 03:22:27 AM »
hmm, well, Ive had the game for almost a month now, and I just cant motivate myself to finish it although im only at 38% or something
I dont know, even though its awesome, it seems to me that it has even more backtracking then the last one
maybe its just me, but I prefered the first one, I think at times I had an easier time to get myself to play through the first one a second time then I do when playing MP2
LZ 2005

Offline ChaosMaster220

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 31, 2004, 07:49:11 PM »
Well i like this one better because to me it is more challenging then the first don't get me wrong the first one was awesome but to me the second one is good because of multi player and the two different worlds i mean the graphics are stunning the movie sequences are actully entertaining and it seems more real in my opinion maybe you like the first better beacause it was more simple to handle maybe this one is too challenging no offense intended it is just my opinion so that is what I beilieve
I am the light in the darkness the hope when there seems to be none
I am chaos master allie to good nightmare to you!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 31, 2004, 08:12:25 PM »
Yeah, the only thing that detracts from my experience is that I think the game is way harder than the first one, but I'm not someone who likes super-hard games anyway, so it's most likely just me...Other than that I love the gameplay mechanics in this one far more than in the first one...The new visors are fantastic and are perfectly implemented, the dark world is interesting enough, and the morphball puzzles are absolutely incredible...I couldn't have asked for more...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ChaosMaster220

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 01, 2005, 08:55:12 AM »
Well I didn't mean to insult someone it just my opinion that some people like games such as harry potter where you can beat it intwo days tops but if you beilieve that it challenging then i agree because i am still playing it so that is my opinion I agree the visors are stunning
the dark visor is my personal favorite and i also like the light suit I also enjoy that your visor actully gets messed up if you are in rain it doesn't just bounce off you and leave no mark like in other platform/FPS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 02, 2005, 07:23:09 AM »
Finished with 88% scanned(I didn't bother looking for the things I missed when I realized I had missed an earlier boss somehow) and 100% items...A fantastic ending, so do your best to get at least 75% of the items...(You'll thank me later!)

Offline ChaosMaster220

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 02, 2005, 10:28:16 AM »
That's good to know i think i already have that but hey i wouldn't hurt to check every once in a while o yea did you konw that there are hidden objects such as in the first one like the ice sperder in the first metroid there are i tems like that Just a fyi

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 02, 2005, 06:10:53 PM »
Periods, man!!! P.E.R.I.O.D.S!!!!

I'm enjoying MP2 very much, but I just don't see how anyone can get through the entire game without the hint system. There's really no structure in comparison to the first game, but it's still very enjoyable.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 02, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »
That's the way a Metroid game should be...The first game was way too soft, and really only done to get newbies into the Metroid series...

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 02, 2005, 09:11:01 PM »
"That's the way a Metroid game should be...The first game was way too soft, and really only done to get newbies into the Metroid series..."

I donĀ“t think that the first game was too soft! I think you must be a real hardcore gamer to make such a statement. CanĀ“t get things hard enough? If people say things like you do too much, I really donĀ“t think that there will be a lot of people buying the games in that series in the near future. NCL President, Satoru Iwata, already took steps to move gaming in a much simpler direction, as games have indeed become too complex. People just donĀ“t have the time, or donĀ“t bother the struggle to complete games that are too difficult.

Only true hardcore gamers will bother to pick up the fight each time.

IĀ“ve seen enough to know what I talk about.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #590 on: January 02, 2005, 11:26:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Smadte
Periods, man!!! P.E.R.I.O.D.S!!!!

I'm enjoying MP2 very much, but I just don't see how anyone can get through the entire game without the hint system. There's really no structure in comparison to the first game, but it's still very enjoyable.

I've been playing it without the hint system (tho I haven't played it in over a month, farthest I'm at is beginning of Sanctuary Fortress), and I find it more rewarding.  If you've already had a lot of experience with the first Prime (and previous Zelda experience also helps), then it's not as difficult as it seems, THANKS TO the lovely detailed Map System.  Basically, you evaluate the tools you have, then you check the map to see where you haven't been (what doors you haven't opened), then you visit the places, investigate, unlock new rooms, and be pleasantly surprised.  The map says so little, yet shows so much.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 03, 2005, 02:06:56 AM »
I agree that the hint system is not really needed for Echoes, but not about the first Prime.  If it wasn't for the hint system, I would have never found out about using the boost ball on half-pipes.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 03, 2005, 04:41:23 AM »
The reason why I play the Metroid games is not because they are challenging, but because of the same reason I love the Zelda series...It's about exploration...Being told where to go all the time may be fine to those who just want to get through the game, but for those who like discovering things for themselves, it's not...

Offline ChaosMaster220

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 03, 2005, 07:23:04 PM »
I agree. he has a good point when he talks about that I mean I love being able to go where I want when I want like in harry potter you get to choose when to do the class or objective in the game you also chose when to end it. I like Zelda wind waker because you could do sidequests, in Metroid echoes you can go scan Items or you can go get energy tanks missle expansions and so on (o yea I also think the Light suit rules I mean combined with the Dark visor brillient.) I also agree about the maps they are a little confusing with floor levels but that makes it fun to look at.

[Look I put P.E.R.I.O.D.S man]

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 05, 2005, 10:40:34 AM »
The freedom to explore is fine, thatĀ“s what made me play the game in the first place. But I donĀ“t like having to face a Boss thatĀ“s so difficult that you die again and again, and get no help nomatter how many walkthroughs you consult. I am not a hardcoregamer as such, but could be taken for one if they didnĀ“t look carefully. But I do know the hardcoregamers, and I do know the casual gamers. My point is simply that Retro should avoid making the next Metroid game as difficult as this sequel is.

The first one was perfectly balanced in difficulty and learning curve. But I still recall having big issues with the buttons, when I had to perform various maneuvers in boss battles. I sometimes felt like my fingers were being twisted slowly, for simply having to cross my fingers to do the required actions. Still, I could juuust make it, and finish the game! But I NEVER expected that the much anticipated sequel would be harder.

I feel that the sales numbers for that first GCN Metroid game, speaks for themselves too. A lot of people liked to play through it. But when you felt you took a punishment in certain important sections playing that first game, you feel itĀ“s torture to go through a sequel which has been made MORE difficult. So while I donĀ“t want to insult the people who really feel itĀ“s a great sequel, I still am compelled to ask the question WHY they increased the difficulty? Do they realize how many casual gamer may be put off by the increased difficulty? THere will be scroes of people who will complain. I recall they did with the second last Boss in MP1. I did too, and it took me 30 attempts to finish it and move on to the final Boss.

I certainly canĀ“t be the only player who is dissapointed in Metroid Prime 2.
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 05, 2005, 12:29:13 PM »
the hint system IMO is not even that helpful
it often gives hints far too late and youve already discovered where to go
LZ 2005

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #596 on: January 05, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »
I suppose Samus's operating system is named "Navi XP."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 05, 2005, 09:30:13 PM »
Difficulty is really hard to work with, because there are casual and hardcore gamers.  Hardcore gamers oft complain of Wind Waker being too easy, whereas I know plenty who liked the challenge just fine, and even a few who found it too difficult to play.  It was supposed to be easier, to introduce new people to the series, which I know it did.  However, someone's always going to complain.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 05, 2005, 10:03:56 PM »
Metroid games require some sort of continuity when you are playing them, otherwise you will become lost. The continual aquisition of new items helps this problem a lot: exploration never feels worthless when you can use your new beam to obtain a missile expansion or energy tank every time you wander off to look for a new objective.

For some reason the soldier's logs gain my attention. Even though they are a minute part of the game, they still break the atmosphere for me. It always feels awkward reading prose full of slang and cliches in a medievil RPG, because I always presume it has been translated from a strange and faraway language, and it follows that in the future our language will have sufficiently changed to warrant translation as well.

Hardcore gamers oft complain of Wind Waker being too easy, whereas I know plenty who liked the challenge just fine, and even a few who found it too difficult to play.

I do not consider myself to be a hardcore gamer, but the ease with which I completed WW detracted much from the game's experience for me. I'm playing it through with three hearts now, and I still haven't died once, despite having completed all but the last level of the monster labrynth on Outset.

The puzzles themselves are often nothing but a series of tasks requiring no cognitive challenge at all. Consider the mirror puzzle in the earth temple: after identifying the next mirror you can move, and shifting it along its trench into it's hole, you have completed that part of the puzzle. Once Medli's tricks have been learned, there is nothing more. I realise it would be a departure from the series, but perhaps some sort of 'hard mode' would benefit the next Zelda?

« Reply #599 on: January 06, 2005, 01:43:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
I suppose Samus's operating system is named "Navi XP."

I've yet to look at it in further detail.  But there is a visor effect that may revial such things.  I know for a fact it show her suit model number...

*Update*

Chozo Battle Suit Ver. 4468-VM6-P

Computer and Operating System wise, the system only reffers to itself as "Main Computer Systems" during a status check.  This leads me to belive that the OS is embedded and indiffrent to the hardware.  Also, you have to think diffrently.  Samus isint exactly using a desktop operating environment like virtually every OS today.