Author Topic: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!  (Read 162000 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars 7 in 2015
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
I don't know the validity of this rumor, i saw it a few days ago and never bothered to actual look into it, but the RUMOR started that Disney was in talks to buy Hasbro.

And remember that Hasbro owns Transformers and My Little Pony, for you Botboys & Bronys out there.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »
Yeah I was going to post that here but the rumor was the rumor was only around for a day before it got smashed by Hasbro.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/11/hasbro-denies-disney-rumors.html

Stock in the Pawtucket-based toymaker (HAS:Nasdaq) spiked 6.8 percent to $38.66 at the opening bell amid speculation that Disney (DIS:NYSE) was preparing a multi-billion dollar bid for Hasbro.

Hasbro declined comment, citing its policy of not talking about rumor or speculation. CNBC analyst David Faber reported that Hasbro's advisors told him there's "absolutely nothing going on that they are aware of at all, in any way, shape or form" involving Hasbro or Disney.
 Wall Street analysts said a Disney acquisition didn't make much sense, just after Disney agreed to buy Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 billion. And for any deal to happen, Hasbro would have to dissolve agreements with Disney's competitors.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:25:12 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »
Disney doesn't need to buy Hasbro, just putting new Star Wars films on screen pretty much secures their future with all the toys to come.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »

Disney doesn't need to buy Hasbro, just putting new Star Wars films on screen pretty much secures their future with all the toys to come.

Disney does need to buy Hasbro as they want major control of kid's entertainment. They have the girl's 5+ market down pact with all of the disney channel stuff. They still don't have the boys market locked down.

Right now the Marvel and Star Wars brand will go a long way in helping secure this market. Disney has to be feeling pretty bad for letting go of the power rangers brand a few years back, they let the brand die while a well placed nostaliga campagin from nickoloden has revied the brand immensely.

Disney buying Hasbro gains them a lot of things. Highly valued properties in Transformers, G.I. Joe, my little pony, beyblade, Magic the gathering, and dungeons and dragons.

Not only that but the pruchase of Hasbro would be a cross production wet dream.  You would have all these properties across what would become disney channels (XD, hub, disney channel) with disney now controling the mechadsing process for toys and such (instead of going through mattel and hasbro already does toys for transformers). Then you have all of the comics going though marvel instead of darkhorse (starwars) and IDW (transfomers and mylittlepony).

This puts them in a very good postion of printing money from one investement. They would be killing the middle man for the most part.

All disney would need now is a capable gaming divsion which probably wouldn't be hard to do. They have the lucasarts divsion as well as junction point. With a few smart aqustions and studio form ups (thq) they could control every thing.

Its scary and somewhat monopolstic and would probably be allowed to happen because even with that disney is still smaller compared to say news corp or time warner.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
shingi does make a lot of good points about this but I don't agree that they do not need to buy Hasbro because as I already pointed out it isn't happening. I also think that for a few other reasons the hypothetical buying of Hasbro would be bad for the company. Gravity Falls is a Disney cartoon and MLP:FIM is a Hasbro cartoon and while both are great cartoons that I love having them both under the same umbrella will cause to much conflict. There is also the fact that Hasbro has allowed to let the fanbase grow by leaving the videos and content up on youtube you have to go search for Gravity Falls episodes and the Gravity Falls stuff at times are not available in other countries thus removing most of the growth to the fanbase overseas.

Also going to throw out this link. Hasbro was the number 7 Licensor this year up from 12 last year according to this site so that may have been a possible reason for this rumor that has been smashed. http://www.rankingthebrands.com/The-Brand-Rankings.aspx?rankingID=234&year=454

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
Lucasfilm has confirmed that Star Wars Episode VII will be written by Michael Arndt, who won an Academy Award for writing Little Miss Sunshine and was nominated for writing Toy Story 3.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-star-wars-movie-michael-388424?google_editors_picks=true
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2012, 08:55:15 AM »
I meant it as Hasbro does not need Disney to save them, once the Star Wars movies hit their toy line will be secure. As far as Disney goes, they won't buy Hasbro they have no need to, Marvel and Lucas are entertainment companies just like they are, Hasbro is a toy company what Disney would be interested in if anything would be their entertainment properties Disney does not now nor have they ever been in the toy business, they happily license their stuff out for a reason.

As far as the Power Rangers brand goes, I don't know what happened there  but I don't remember it ever being totally controlled by Disney it was always Saban and Bandai I thought. Disney was just one of many outlets that aired their stuff I doubt they were directly involved in the production for any significant length of time, if ever.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
Actually, Disney has been trying to get back the toy licenses for Marvel properties since buying Marvel.

As for Power Rangers, Disney bought the franchise in 2003. They then sold it back to Haim Saban (the creater of the English dub) in 2010. So they owned the franchise for 7 years, but by the end they didn't even bother to dub an entire season of the of the Sentai series into Power Rangers.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
I meant it as Hasbro does not need Disney to save them, once the Star Wars movies hit their toy line will be secure. As far as Disney goes, they won't buy Hasbro they have no need to, Marvel and Lucas are entertainment companies just like they are, Hasbro is a toy company what Disney would be interested in if anything would be their entertainment properties Disney does not now nor have they ever been in the toy business, they happily license their stuff out for a reason.

As far as the Power Rangers brand goes, I don't know what happened there  but I don't remember it ever being totally controlled by Disney it was always Saban and Bandai I thought. Disney was just one of many outlets that aired their stuff I doubt they were directly involved in the production for any significant length of time, if ever.
Brah Acquisition's aren't based on if a company needs saving? they just usually wait to get a better deal. Like I said Disney would be buying the IP but controlling the manufacturing of toys would be icing on the cake.  It would akin to how Samsung or apple have gotten so big in the tech field.

Plus being happy licensing changes once you have the means to produce your selves. For the longest time Boom Comics was known for make comics based around Disney properties that were really good and a bulk of the company's revenue. Right after Disney bought marvel that ended rather quickly and now marvel handles all Disney licensed comic material. The only expectations are reprints of older Carl Bank's stuff which is done by fantagraphics.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
Yeah, I meant everything since DOGMA. CLERKS 2 is actually not awful, I forgot about that one. Either way, not even Smith's good movies suggest he could or should be involved with a Star Wars movie.

You are missing the point of his movies then, his movies are made for nerds, plain and simple. he tackles relationships and stuff but mostly he just makes movies about nerds trying to look like normal people. He deep down is a huge Star Wars fan and has made some decent action movies so I think he could handle Star Wars and take it seriously.

Not that he would be involved chances are Disney wouldn't even approach him.

Nothing that you just said suggests he would be good at making a Star Wars movie. Smith is at his best with very small scale, dialogue driven movies. Star Wars is neither of those things. As a director, he's visually very plain and in a lot of cases boring which again wouldn't suit him to a Star Wars movie. And what are his decent action movies again? Unless I'm mistaken, COP OUT is as close as he's come to action and that suuuuuuuucked.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2012, 11:15:20 PM »
Now that John Candy is dead who is going to play Barf?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:16 AM »
Getting rid of Power Rangers was the best thing Disney has ever done with the series.

It's not just Nick's Nostalgic campaign (which, I think, has more to do with the 20th anniversary that's coming up) for the series that has revived it - it's Saban's involvement with the series.  The man knows how to handle it while Disney... well, Disney took a lot of missteps.  A lot.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »
Aaaaaand JJ Abrams is directing.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/24/jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-vii/

I think this is a fine choice. Abrams' STAR TREK '09 is very enjoyable despite having a terrible script, and a lot of that is due to JJ. Episode VII will probably be the best script he's ever worked with. I am quite curious to see how this movie will differ from TREK '09. I would guess he'll be much more restrained stylistically. I'm also glad they hired someone who has some weight to throw around. JJ will bring some personal touches and ideas to the table that won't be crushed by the giant corporate machine because he's JJ Abrams. At the very least, I thought TREK '09 was a really satisfying blend of practical effects/sets and CGI and hopefully he brings that to Episode VII.

Also, can we, the internet, stop making lens flare jokes? One, has no one ever seen CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND or DIE HARD? JJ didn't invent them, nor was he the first to have a lot of them. Two, they stopped being funny four years ago. It's just lazy.

Oh ALSO. Who's gonna do the score? John Williams or Michael Giacchino?

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »
I'm fine with Abrams. I think Williams will score it if he's still alive.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »

I think this is a fine choice. Abrams' STAR TREK '09 is very enjoyable despite having a terrible script, and a lot of that is due to JJ.

It was due to the writers strike - meaning that when it was handed in that's what they had to make.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
I think JJ Abrams now is a bad choice.  Simply because you shouldn't have the same people at the helms for Star Trek and Star Wars.  As I mentioned on Twitter we are probably going to see a lot of little things about the universe be similar between the two because thats how he sees this type of setting.

If he wasn't doing Star Trek as well I think he be an excellent choice.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
Abrams is a terrible director. He'd be great for Star Wars though. Mystical double-speak, meaningless action, no real characters or plot. He's already tried his hardest to pervert Star Trek into exactly what Star Wars already is. Maybe he'll leave real science fiction to the professionals and we can actually have that Worf spin-off that Michael Dorn has been talking about.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing the Worf Academy book turned into a movie or better yet the Red Alert Serious from lat 90's that spans multiple time periods and different aspect of the federation.  Be a 4 movie undertaking if memory serves.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
The Star Trek movie was tits. Zoey Saldana...oh yeah.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek (I am a fan of Star Trek parodies....In Living Color, anyone?), so I don't have time invested like you poor folks. I thought the movie did fine to introduce the world,

It's funny that Disney would pick the same director. I think it maybe a futile attempt to have trekkies and warsies come together in a moment of catharsis.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
Disney has some history with JJ Abrams with Alias and Lost both being ABC shows so I'm not terribly surprised his name came up. Star Trek also seems like the kind of movie George Lucas wanted to make with the prequel trilogy, but didn't have it in him to make.

I felt like it would have been fitting if John Lasseter directed Episode VII as kind of a homecoming to Lucasfilm. I wonder if Disney approached any director of Pixar's films. Brad Bird did a fine job on Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »
The Star Trek reboot was a good movie, just not a good Star Trek movie. I think Abrams is a better fit for Star Wars than he ever was for Star Trek.

Also, can we, the internet, stop making lens flare jokes? One, has no one ever seen CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND or DIE HARD? JJ didn't invent them, nor was he the first to have a lot of them. Two, they stopped being funny four years ago.

Michael Bay didn't invent explosions, and wasn't the first to overuse them, but I think it's perfectly fine to make fun of him for them. And I thought saying that Tatooine's two suns meant double the lens flare was pretty funny.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »
not sure if im excited about abrams. I just hope damon lindeloff is not involved. I don't need endless mysteries of hot air. I do need action though.

either way. in some way people who worked on that 70s show should be involved. That period hair is flawless.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »

I think this is a fine choice. Abrams' STAR TREK '09 is very enjoyable despite having a terrible script, and a lot of that is due to JJ.

It was due to the writers strike - meaning that when it was handed in that's what they had to make.

Yes. And also because Orci and Kurtzman are bad writers. Thankfully, those two and Lindelof will probably have minimal input, if they have any at all.

Also, can we, the internet, stop making lens flare jokes? One, has no one ever seen CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND or DIE HARD? JJ didn't invent them, nor was he the first to have a lot of them. Two, they stopped being funny four years ago.

Michael Bay didn't invent explosions, and wasn't the first to overuse them, but I think it's perfectly fine to make fun of him for them. And I thought saying that Tatooine's two suns meant double the lens flare was pretty funny.

It's not that I don't understand where these jokes come from, I just think both jokes are lazy and played out. There are plenty of things to criticize both Bay and Abrams for but explosions and lens flares are the easiest, most obvious surface level aesthetic details to mock. Either way, all of the lens flare jokes were made by the Monday after TREK '09 came out. I've been hearing the same joke for four years now. It's old.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2013, 11:07:56 PM »
It's official, Lucasfilm has confirmed that Abrams will direct the movie: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/j-j-abrams-star-wars-2/

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2013, 07:01:17 AM »
I can't wait to see the Plinkett review of this one.

Actually come to think of it, Plinkett actually says in his Star Trek 09 review that Abrams would be a good director for Star Wars. Maybe Plinkett is clairvoyant?