Author Topic: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!  (Read 162000 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars 7 in 2015
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »
I have the DVD with the Theatrical cut when Hans shoots first its the quickest solution to a problem.  The least amount of risk for the maximum reward at the time.  Smuggler Calculation.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
I think Han was justified, but it still changes his character to have fired in DIRECT REACTION to a shot from Greedo, rather than shooting preemptively. Han shooting first shows a higher level of resolve and coldbloodedness, even though it is justified.

That makes a little more sense than it goes from being a bad guy to good guy in an single instant. Still many people faced with that situation would still not take the shot. The gun was drawn still means he had to think fast, kill or be killed. At least that was how I saw it, even as a kid when I didn't know any better.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
That's basically what they already were. Aside from Anakin/Vader, they were the only characters to appear in all six movies.
and obi-wan

Sure, if you count very minor cameos in Empire and RotJ.
I do count them. Cameos? OK, sort of. Minor? I definitely think not.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
How was Obi Wan's role in Jedi minor? He had almost as much dialog and screen time in that as he did A New Hope. Even in Empire, he was only there for a couple of shots but they were in no way minor. Minor would be like when they put someone in the back ground just for the hell of it to stir up the fans, like ET.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2012, 06:12:21 PM »
That makes a little more sense than it goes from being a bad guy to good guy in an single instant. Still many people faced with that situation would still not take the shot. The gun was drawn still means he had to think fast, kill or be killed. At least that was how I saw it, even as a kid when I didn't know any better.

Another fact you aren't taking into consideration is that Han had his gun drawn under the table. At least Greedo had his threat right in Han's face, and was unaware of the threat directed at him. The idea was the Han was a despicable person who was involved with other despicable people, and he fit right in. Having Han wait until the shot was fired means he wasn't as despicable as previously thought. It means that if Greedo didn't shoot, he wasn't going to shoot. But Han not waiting means he was going to shoot regardless of the actions taken by Greedo. Han was found in a bar and he wanted to escape and have his location unknown by Jabba. Killing Greedo was the only way to enforce that.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
had his threat right in Han's face, and was unaware of the threat directed at him

Again suggesting Han was in the clear to shoot. Anyone puts a gun in your face it gives YOU the right to shoot first, it is called self defense. Why is that so hard to grasp? No matter WHAT if a person is threatening your life and you shoot them it is self defense period.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
No, it doesn't give you the right. And it wasn't in his face, he was across the table. The changes in the 1997 and 2004 edits totally change his character and make his change mean almost nothing. Han was not justified in shooting his fellow smuggler, he was NOT acting in "self defense".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
No, it doesn't give you the right.

Yes, it does. Greedo posed a physical threat by drawing and aiming his gun. Han was acting in self defense. Unless the Catina world has some pussy "duty-to-retreat" law, I'd say Han was completely in the right to use deadly force.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
No, it doesn't. Han was an asshole to begin with, and he was NOT acting in self defense. And pussy law? I would hope Catina does not have one of those savage "shoot people I think are threatening me" laws that let you kill someone for looking at you wrong by claiming you thought they were gonna attack you.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55:32 PM »
Holy Christ people... if you're going to try to argue Star Wars as if you know anything about it, at least get the planet names right.  It's not "Cantina Planet" or anything of the sort.  It's friggin' Tatooine.  I mean, I could understand not knowing the name of the planet if it was some weird planet that was mentioned for three seconds and never brought up again...  But we're talking TATOOINE.  One of, like, three planets that appear in multiple films and are relevant to the plot in any way, shape or form.

Before you start arguing about the personality traits of Star Wars characters, try getting to know the movies.

Hell, I'm not even a Star Wars "fan" and I know that much.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »
i thought this was a joke until i started seeing this everywhere else

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 01:01:57 AM »
This may be my most popular thread ever. I deserve some sort of prize when it hits 100 pages.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:29 AM »
I just can't believe people are discussing American Legal constructs on a lawless planet in a town that is described as a "Wretched hive of scum and villainy". That and "Cantina Planet".
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2012, 01:50:00 AM »
I think acting in self defense comes in many flavors, and killing the aggressor is the extreme end of it. Han could have done several other actions, but he sat there cool as a cucumber, totally unfazed by the gun, and shoot Greedo in the gut. And quietly walked out throwing money to the bartender. Seems to me he may have done that before.

Han knew that Greedo wasn't going to shoot because Jabba wouldn't get his money. Greedo was just making a point.

Also LOL @ Catina planet... :D Next: that death star moon... lol
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:51:46 AM by bustin98 »

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »
The issue of the original versions of the original trilogy is one of preserving film history. These films are three of the most important and culturally significant films ever made and they basically no longer exist. Yes, they were released on DVD but those versions are transfers from the early 90s and have a resolution of 360p. That's YouTube quality, and no way to properly watch Star Wars. What exists instead are watered down, objectively worse versions that undermine the original films with every single change.

Ridley Scott did it right with Blade Runner. When they put that movie out on bluray, they included FOUR different cuts of the film, including one that had previously only been seen by a couple hundred people once at a film festival. Why George refused to do the same with Star Wars is beyond me. But again, hopefully now that he's longer in charge, Disney and Fox will get together and right this wrong that has been going on for the last fifteen years.

EDIT: I thought of a good analogy. The Special Editions are like if Nintendo decided it was a good idea to paste the New Super Mario Bros graphics and music and maybe even the physics on the original Super Mario Bros and no longer offer the original in any form. Except the Special Editions are worse than that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:05:56 AM by TrueNerd »

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
I agree totally with preserving the Original films, always have, I also agree the Han Shot first scene is offensive. My thing is it's not this huge personality changing event that alters history of the character, it is just an ugly shot that makes no sense and a stupid change that only incites fans. I won't mention that anymore, it seems like the hot button issue among fans.

I did read somewhere else that the comic books are in danger of being effected, a spokeperson from Dark Horse said something to the effect of they are safe, for now but the future was uncertain. If Disney pulls the Star Wars franchise away from Dark Horse, that could pretty much kill Dark Horse as I understand its their only major property.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
Why George refused to do the same with Star Wars is beyond me.
George Lucas doesn't want them to exist and he's spent the last 15 or so years trying to purge them from people's memory. Ironically, the more he tries to do that, the more people hold onto the memory of those films.

Reactions to the sale are all over the map. I think it would benefit Disney greatly to release a restored version of the original cut. They would make a **** ton of money, placate fans of the originals, and everyone else who likes the special editions can pretend they don't exist. Disney doesn't have the desire for revisionist history as Lucas does.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea of an Episode VII. Wasn't "The saga is complete" the tag line of Revenge of the Sith? I feel like it'd be better to leave it alone.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
They have already stated they are not interested in releasing the originals at this time, plus Fox still owns the rights anyways so nothing changes there.

As for the saga is complete, they have already updated the official site to reflect that, the movies will now be packaged as the Skywalker Saga. I think that might suggest a reissue with a new name coming up which would render the existing product highly collectible in the near future should that happen.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2012, 08:57:26 AM »
Disney is all about revisionist history. They rewrite their own history all the time. Their entire play is nostalgia. Nostalgia works best when you change things to keep it more in line with people's memories than with what actually happened.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »
I meant, in terms of Star Wars since Disney has no real reason to pretend the original films never happened. It's not the same thing as say, pretending their artists didn't put a dick on the VHS cover of The Little Mermaid.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:22:04 AM by Adrock »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
That is a urban myth that has been debunked, there were no penis drawn on the box, only people who have an obsession with phallic objects think there is.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »
Uh, what? Sure, the myth is that it was done on purpose, but you can't argue that a phallus-shaped object wasn't drawn on the cover. Come on, dude.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.asp

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »
And pussy law? I would hope Catina does not have one of those savage "shoot people I think are threatening me" laws that let you kill someone for looking at you wrong by claiming you thought they were gonna attack you.

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.â€

--Robert E. Howard
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:08:52 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »
For those who haven't heard, Lucas has said he will donate almost all of the $4.05 billion he is getting from the sale to an education charity. http://samuel-warde.com/2012/11/george-lucas-donates-4-billion-from-disney-sale-to-education/

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
Yeah. He's been doing stuff like that for a while. I may hate some of his film decisions, but he's a decent human being. Good for him.