Author Topic: Another RPG for PS2 (DW5)  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Koopa Troopa

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Another RPG for PS2 (DW5)
« on: October 30, 2003, 03:12:01 PM »
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2003/2097.html

You'd think Squenix would show us Cube owners a little love... We don't even get the bloody remakes }

That's it... I'm not  supporting Squenix until they put something decent on the Cube. I refuse to purchase another PS2 RPG.

I know I sound like a fanboy, but I'm seriously sick of my main system getting the cold shoulder.  

EDIT: Forgot the "not" in my "support" statement.  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Another RPG for PS2 (DW5)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 03:18:02 PM »
Oh ye of little faith...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
RE: Another RPG for PS2 (DW5)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 03:46:48 PM »
Mmm? You're not alluding to that horrible excuse for support, "Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles", are you?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 04:38:24 PM »
Don't blame Enix for that.  They do what they always do.  Make games for the most popular system.  That is unmistakeably the PS2.  They would be on GameCube instead if it had 50 million people who owned one.  Besides, the original game was on Super Famicom.

But personally, I am happy to see this just be made.  Their remake of Dragon Quest 4 was very well done, and Dragon Quest 5 looks just as good.  Unlike Square, Enix actually knows how to make a good remake.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 04:52:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa
Mmm? You're not alluding to that horrible excuse for support, "Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles", are you?

Haha, no...Something that we haven't seen yet...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2003, 05:28:37 PM »
Oh? I don't have any faith in Squenix, FF:CC is the most we'll be getting. And they expect us to thank them for it... I can't even buy this in the hope of garnering more support.

But personally, I am happy to see this just be made. Their remake of Dragon Quest 4 was very well done, and Dragon Quest 5 looks just as good. Unlike Square, Enix actually knows how to make a good remake.

Yeah, I know... thats why I'm so ticked, I love the DW games, I prefer them over FF anyday.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2003, 05:51:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Koopa Troopa
Oh? I don't have any faith in Squenix, FF:CC is the most we'll be getting. And they expect us to thank them for it... I can't even buy this in the hope of garnering more support.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles actually looks a whole lot like an old school Seiken Densetsu, which is a very good thing.  I for one am very much looking forward to it.  It's strange for me to say this, as I turned my back on Final Fantasy after Final Fantasy IX, but the game really does look good.  Even if it's all we get, it's nothing to scoff at.  It's a HELL OF A LOT better than Final Fantasy XI I guarantee you that.  They may as well have just crapped in a box for that game.

But...  I really don't think it's the last game they will make for GameCube.  My Magic 8 Ball says that All Signs Point to "No" regarding that.  Call it gut instinct.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003, 06:04:08 PM »

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles actually looks a whole lot like an old school Seiken Densetsu, which is a very good thing. I for one am very much looking forward to it. It's strange for me to say this, as I turned my back on Final Fantasy after Final Fantasy IX, but the game really does look good. Even if it's all we get, it's nothing to scoff at. It's a HELL OF A LOT better than Final Fantasy XI I guarantee you that. They may as well have just crapped in a box for that game.

I apologize, I wasn't very clear. Its not that it looks bad, it looks fun, but it requires GameBoys to play, and I only have one (and don't know anyone that owns one, they do own cubes though). That is what makes me angry about this game, plus its not much of an RPG, more of a dungeon crawl (not to say such games are bad).

But... I really don't think it's the last game they will make for GameCube. My Magic 8 Ball says that All Signs Point to "No" regarding that. Call it gut instinct.

Well, I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2003, 06:47:11 PM »

I apologize, I wasn't very clear. Its not that it looks bad, it looks fun, but it requires GameBoys to play, and I only have one (and don't know anyone that owns one, they do own cubes though). That is what makes me angry about this game, plus its not much of an RPG, more of a dungeon crawl (not to say such games are bad).

I believe that single player can be done without a GBA.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 07:47:47 PM »

I own a GBA as well, and I am in a new place and I only have 1 friend who will probably move away in two weeks.  It's not like I am really going to be taking advantage of the multiplayer either.  But I STILL think that the game is going to kick ass.

And the single player mode can be played easily enough with a GCN controller.  Nobody is forcing you to buy a GBA, and nobody is forcing you to make friends.  The game is just MORE enjoyable with more people.  I really wish that people would just stop this crusade.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 07:58:20 PM »

I own a GBA as well, and I am in a new place and I only have 1 friend who will probably move away in two weeks. It's not like I am really going to be taking advantage of the multiplayer either. But I STILL think that the game is going to kick ass.

If the game IS a dungeon crawl, it won't be nearly as much fun without other people

And the single player mode can be played easily enough with a GCN controller. Nobody is forcing you to buy a GBA, and nobody is forcing you to make friends. The game is just MORE enjoyable with more people. I really wish that people would just stop this crusade.

What are you talking about? I OWN a GBA, I just don't have friends who own one(I made this pretty clear in my last post). And Crusade? What?  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 08:47:14 PM »

What are you talking about? I OWN a GBA, I just don't have friends who own one(I made this pretty clear in my last post). And Crusade? What?

Yeah, I know you said you owned one.  And I said I owned one AS WELL.  The thing is that I just don't see where anyone said that the game is unplayable without friends with GBAs.  And I certainly didn't see anyone say that the game is playable without friends with GBAs.  Everyone who has actually/b] played the game has said that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles uses the GBA connectivity in a very useful and necessary way.  I just have a problem with people who continually bash the game because they don't understand that.  That is the crusade I am referring to.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 02:49:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
Their remake of Dragon Quest 4 was very well done, and Dragon Quest 5 looks just as good.  Unlike Square, Enix actually knows how to make a good remake.

The Dragon Quest 4 remake was cancelled.  Are you talking about the DQ 1&2, DQ 3 remake for the GB Color instead?  I wanted DQ 4, but Enix cancelled the game.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 03:15:35 AM »
Yup, DQIV for the PS was sh!T canned for the US but it was released in Japan.

Then again the DW/DQ series never sold to hot in the US so it's kinda understandable.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 07:43:13 AM »

Yeah, I know you said you owned one. And I said I owned one AS WELL. The thing is that I just don't see where anyone said that the game is unplayable without friends with GBAs.

That is what I have been hearing, if you don't have GBAs you can play multi-player... playing single-player without a GBA is news to me. And would you stop putting words in my mouth? I didn't say the damn game was unplayable without friends, but I'm positive it isn't going to be half as fun without other people. All I know is what I've heard and read, and that is that the game requires Gameboys to play.

Everyone who has actually played the game has said that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles uses the GBA connectivity in a very useful and necessary way.

Yeah it puts your HUD on the GBA... Oooo, totally necessary.

I just have a problem with people who continually bash the game because they don't understand that. That is the crusade I am referring to.

Please, I'm as much entitled to be angry about a game, as you are to blindly adore it. If the game REQUIRES Gameboys to play, then I have every right to be ticked off. And considering there isn't really anything special about the game, I'll probably have an even better reason to be upset.

I know at least as much as you do about the game, so don't tell me I don't "understand" something.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 07:48:07 AM »
Oh, another RPG for PS2? So what? I wish the whole CRPG market on the PS2 would just collapse from overflooding, maybe that might convince those ####### publishers to release some good games on the PC.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 09:06:50 AM »

I know at least as much as you do about the game, so don't tell me I don't "understand" something.

I know that everyone who has played the game (most notably Penny Arcade) says that the multiplayer would be exceptionally annoying without GBAs.  That's all I am saying.

The Dragon Quest 4 remake was cancelled. Are you talking about the DQ 1&2, DQ 3 remake for the GB Color instead? I wanted DQ 4, but Enix cancelled the game.

Nope.  I am talking about the fully 3D remake of Dragon Quest 4 that was released on the Playstation in Japan.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 01:35:02 PM »

I know that everyone who has played the game (most notably Penny Arcade) says that the multiplayer would be exceptionally annoying without GBAs. That's all I am saying.

Then I would be inclined to say the game is poorly designed. I'm all for GBA/GC connectivity, but if it means I can't play the game as it was meant to be played, I'm not too happy. If the single-player turns out to be something worth mentioning I'll re-think things, but as it stands the game is a multi-player oriented title that has a requirement that is VERY hard to meet.

I mean look at Pac-Man Vs. it also recommends(perhaps requires) a GameBoy to play, but it only calls for one, a requirement which is more than easily met.

Nope. I am talking about the fully 3D remake of Dragon Quest 4 that was released on the Playstation in Japan.

Well, mostly 3D (referring to the sprites, of course). Didn't it use the DW7 engine? I still wish they'd brought it over here (US).  I'm really gonna miss those hand-drawn animations.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »

I mean look at Pac-Man Vs. it also recommends(perhaps requires) a GameBoy to play, but it only calls for one, a requirement which is more than easily met.

So does Pac Man Vs feature poorly designed gameplay because it requires a GBA to play?  Couldn't it be possible without a GBA at all?

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 04:29:08 PM »

Then I would be inclined to say the game is poorly designed.

or not, its poorly designed if connectivity was an afterthought, but it wasn't, the whole idea of it is to be the killer ap for gcn -> gba connectivity, and from what i've heard its exceptionally well designed with connectivity in mind.

even though this is ment to be a topic about Dragon Warrior 5 for ps2, i don't really know why you guys are reviving the patheticly old and stupid argument about FF:CC's connectivity, people either hate it (ignorant or otherwise) or people like it (everyone else). do i complain that i can't play online with PSO? no, i just accept its something that me as a gamer won't be able todo, i don't launch countless posts/threads on the subject that playing online (ie with friends) isn't available to me in australia so therefore the game is stupid etc. drop the whole stupid 'debate' about FF:CC using connectivity, its moronic

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2003, 02:12:33 AM »
YES SIR
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?