Author Topic: Interview with a Phantom  (Read 2574 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Interview with a Phantom
« on: October 26, 2003, 05:10:41 AM »
Link

Abstract: The first public Q&A session with Infinium Labs, the makers of the Phantom console, was held. While Infineon dodged many questions, what came out still looked grim.

Okay, another wannabe in the console arena who just begs for a sample of the harshness of the market.
Pro: Well, they actually managed to build something that at least looks like what they promised, even though it currently seems more like a fancy case mod.
Contra: This thing is the manifested Evil (even moreso than the iQue!)! Full of DRM tech, designed to help the publishers in their war against the customer!

Oh, and they actually went as far as to believe the same bulls### Bill Gates does: That every single household in the world has unmetered broadband access. Somebody please kick them back into reality!
Hm, maybe MS buy's them out and/or incooperates their tech into the Xenon. Maybe the Xenon will be pretty similar to the Phantom.

Bottom line? Uh, I don't want one. Even if it released with good exclusives I wouldn't want one. I am unwilling to pay for immaterial goods (i.e. software only available for download). I am unwilling to pay for DRM'ed content. This thing is against every single of my principles.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Interview with a Phantom
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 05:57:24 AM »
I guess I'm a bit behind in times, but I thought I read some where a while back that the Phantom was just this "fake" console.  So, what exactly is the truth?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 06:13:35 AM »
It is a PC in box, with a broken CD Drive

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE:Interview with a Phantom
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 03:51:18 PM »
its real...but its so vaporised it seems like a hoax....these people have dug themself in  a whole.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 07:30:45 PM »
they are carrying the joke a bit far don't you think, infinium labs i mean ;p, also the thing is enormous, my PC case is smaller o_O

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 10:02:40 AM »
I think this is just a guy with a dream, who managed to get a lot of press before he had any funding, and now its all a big pile of confusing crap.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 11:41:24 AM »
I was under the impression that this was a media joke to show off something that he could do.  Now it's being carried out more.  Makes me wonder.

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 04:40:25 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
It is a PC in box, with a broken CD Drive

Penny Arcade?
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 07:04:27 PM »
Yes that's penny arcade.

Its been astablished for awhile that this console is basically vaporware. (I doubt it was nothing more then a guy with the right connections and diarehia of the mouth.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 05:37:56 AM »
Some theories include this being a scam or money laundering operation. The main guys behind the Phantom have a long history of "cooking the books", scams and bankrupt companies.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 06:41:52 AM »
Look, it's a PC, but at a different angle!

(Mysterious agents come up from behind Oldskool)

I'm afraid you know to much...
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 07:39:00 AM »
Well some people looked up the address of the supposed headquarters. All that in that room is a table and two phones, so its a pretty sure thing. Even time he is ask about he either ends the conversation or dodges the question.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.