Author Topic: PLEASE Stop the Flash Adds- PGC Admins...  (Read 8047 times)

PLEASE Stop the Flash Adds- PGC Admins...
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2003, 12:15:27 PM »
No, seriously Rick. It's time to simmer down with the ads, okay? The occasional popup and flash ad is tolerable but when the start popping up, one after the other, bringing up download windows for songs and causing errors that force me to restart the computer you have gone too far.  I've gotten ads that actually make it impossible to shutdown my computer, I have to pull the plug!  Not to mention my 56k dialup, "Mr. No Pictures in the Sigs."  If you want to make money put an online store in it or buy someone else's.  You can't get something for nothing.

Sorry to be so gruff but its 100% true.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: PLEASE Stop the Flash Adds- PGC Admins...
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2003, 04:20:10 PM »
And as I have said hundreds of times before, we have very LITTLE control over the types of ads you get served.  If we lose you as a reader, then that's the price we had to pay.  Sorry.  Turning them off on a selective basis is simply not an option right now.

And you can be gruff all you want, but you seriously exaggerated the issue.  We've NEVER had ads "popping up, one after the other, bringing up download windows for songs and causing errors that force you to restart the computer".  And if we ever have, it's been fixed VERY quickly, because it was a MISTAKE and nothing more.

All I will say is that if you can't deal with it, get off the internet, because it's only going to get worse, and not just on our site.  They want to make sure people are seeing these ads, and they're going to keep coming up with more intrusive ways to do it.  And smallish sites like ours simply can't argue with them and risk losing the revenue entirely.  You're going to pay for your web content in one way or another, you just won't get a choice most times.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Shredder

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2003, 04:55:38 PM »
Hey guys,

Sorry for starting up what's obviously a heated topic.  I didn't intend for it to get this bad.  But if the folks at Planet Gamecube have fixed something, I havn't noticed a single flash add in the last 4 days.  A new record, so thanks, something is obviously changed .   The only problem I still have is the base.com adds.  Along with flash adds, these two are the most annoying because of sound loads, movie loads, and what not.  Sometimes you can't even skip them using the link provided because they have to finish loading whatever long movie they need to load.

But for what you have done so far, Thanks for trying to help .

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2003, 06:41:46 AM »
Well for the past few days I have been getting download windows to download movie players and songs as if I had clicked on a download link.  And every time I get an ad titled "Download Windows XP..." it stays on the taskbar, won't be closed out, no matter what and prevents me from shutting my computer down.  I have also recieved ads from this site that have automatically restarted Windows Explorer on at least 2 occasions.  If you can't choose which ads you put on then why haven't I seen them on other sites?

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2003, 10:57:11 AM »
run adaware and quickly, thats not PGCs doing at all, run a spyware killer that someone mentioned also.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2003, 02:45:39 PM »
I need some help, any would be appreciated.  I get these strange pop ups from Messenger Service.  They pop up over everything, but do not stop me from doing whatever I'm doing.  Think of them as a post-it note placed on the screen of my moniter.  I close them and sometimes they pop up again shortly after or I won't see then again for as much as 15 to 20 minutes.  They only started early this week or late last week.  I have both ad-ware and spybot and used them both but neither seem to remedy this annoyance.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2003, 04:21:50 PM »
The problems you're having sound like general problems with your computer.  The ads we run don't behave that way.

The "Messenger Service" pop-ups are being sent over the network (Internet) by another computer, so it sounds like you either don't have a firewall, or have a hole open that they're using.  Those aren't coming from PGC either.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2003, 09:19:31 PM »

Originally posted by: nitsujdark
I need some help, any would be appreciated.  I get these strange pop ups from Messenger Service.  They pop up over everything, but do not stop me from doing whatever I'm doing.  Think of them as a post-it note placed on the screen of my moniter.  I close them and sometimes they pop up again shortly after or I won't see then again for as much as 15 to 20 minutes.  They only started early this week or late last week.  I have both ad-ware and spybot and used them both but neither seem to remedy this annoyance.

Disable the Messenger service in your admin tools control panel.  I don't have administrative access to this computer, so I can't give step by step instructions, but just search for Disabling Messenger Service in google.  You should find some sort of instructions on how to get rid of those things.

The problem is a glaring security hole in Windows, not any adware.  Turning off that service will just allow you to maintain your sanity.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2003, 11:27:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

Originally posted by: nitsujdark

Disable the Messenger service in your admin tools control panel.  I don't have administrative access to this computer, so I can't give step by step instructions, but just search for Disabling Messenger Service in google.  You should find some sort of instructions on how to get rid of those things.

The problem is a glaring security hole in Windows, not any adware.  Turning off that service will just allow you to maintain your sanity.

I found that out just a little while ago, that it's something in windows.  I have XP.  One of the messages I got just after getting online had a url so i went there and read that about it, wanted to see services for like 25.00.  Thanks for the heads up on how to stop it.  I did something in services in admin, since I am the only user on this computer (I bought it.) I didn't have to work aroudn anything.  I went into computer management then services and stopped messenger.  I'll see what that does.  If that doesn't work then I do a search like you said and go from there.  Thanks, I knew when I saw you had posted here that you would probably know what it was.  And thanks to Rick as well since he was close to what was wrong.  I knew it wasn't PGC because I'd get the pop ups even if I cleared my cookies and history.  Thanks again.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2003, 03:44:59 PM »
Not a problem.  Glad I could help.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean