Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 548261 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #675 on: June 16, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »
I found this great in depth video of the 3DS which I'd like to pass on to you all. It explains all the ports and buttons on the system which one in particular caught my eye. On the back of the system, there is a port which many thought was for LAN port but in the video I think he describes it as an infra-red receiver.

They also compare the 3d affect from the 3DS to that on the PS3 which I found some of the comments to be very interesting. They stated that some of the 3d in the Killzone demo felt layered as apposed to actual depth. Let me stop describing it and let you see for yourself, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtS6mc8lrRw

He did say infrared but that seems awfully redundant especially considering its location. It can't be used to track the stylus, or be used during gameplay unless it's like a 'Z' button, but infrared to serve other purposes... DS's can already communicate wirelessly with each other, so are we going to be transferring 3D pics, apps, movie trailers, and gameclips by infrared? Why would that be necessary?

OR!!! is it for the Wiimote??

Edit: Quote from the video comparing Sony 3D to Nintendo: "On 3D TV's that you see, basically half the light is diverted to one image, half of the light diverted to the other, so there's a sort of darkness about it. Whereas this(3DS) it's pristine, it's bright, it's clear, it's Nintendo! You know? It's bright, it's beautiful."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:52:05 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 16, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
He did say infrared but that seems awfully redundant especially considering its location. It can't be used to track the stylus, or be used during gameplay unless it's like a 'Z' button, but infrared to serve other purposes... DS's can already communicate wirelessly with each other, so are we going to be transferring 3D pics, apps, movie trailers, and gameclips by infrared? Why would that be necessary?

OR!!! is it for the Wiimote??

I'm not sure how the Wii remote would use an IR receiver with its own IR receiver.

I'm guessing it's there to be there - just in case they want to do more things like Personal Trainer: Walking or Pokéwalker type applications.  One IR receiver on the system is cheaper than IR receivers in each game pak.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 16, 2010, 11:06:29 PM »
Oh, I should have said that maybe it's not an IR receiver but transmitter if it did a broad spread it could replace sensor bar, not saying that's what it is though, I was joking.

I was serious however when I said it seemed awfully redundant... Unless... it will function as a Wii controller that could be cool.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #678 on: June 16, 2010, 11:42:40 PM »
I think it is smart to have different sized screens.  It allows us to have a bigger screen for gameplay, but also the size of the system doesn't change. 

Also the touchscreen is good for an input device, but not always good for gameplay, specially if you are touching it at the same time, or having to look at both screens.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #679 on: June 16, 2010, 11:56:25 PM »
Does this quote mean what I think it means?

Playing games is about playing games with my friends, and I want to know what my other friends are playing online. And that's going to give me the ability, and it's also going to let me know that - sports scores, because I'm interested in sports, exchanging achievements with other players. Because when you look at DS penetration rates, there are going to be a lot of friends to talk to and communicate with.

The speaker is EA's Ryan Stradling.
The source is http://e3.nintendo.com/interviews/#/?v=interview_stradling

Knowing what your friends are playing online? Cheevos?
In a Nintendo video?

Is this EA-specific or, god help us, does the 3DS have a XBL-like system?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »
I would love to see a Madworld game for the 3DS. Imagine a 3D chain saw and blood spatter.  :cool;
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 17, 2010, 12:09:52 AM »

Playing games is about playing games with my friends, and I want to know what my other friends are playing online. And that's going to give me the ability, and it's also going to let me know that - sports scores, because I'm interested in sports, exchanging achievements with other players. Because when you look at DS penetration rates, there are going to be a lot of friends to talk to and communicate with.

In a Nintendo video?

Oh man, I would love a "modern" feature like a friend list on wii. -_-
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 17, 2010, 12:13:31 AM »
I think it is smart to have different sized screens.  It allows us to have a bigger screen for gameplay, but also the size of the system doesn't change. 

Also the touchscreen is good for an input device, but not always good for gameplay, specially if you are touching it at the same time, or having to look at both screens.

But it looks like there is enough room for the wide screen on the bottom without even moving the analog, dpad or buttons.

& there is sooo much unused real estate on the top screen area that it kind of bugs me little.
How about a bigger top screen and then a wide screen touch screen too (would also work well with onscreen keyboard)?

I'm seriously hoping they reconsider on the bottom screen considering that there is already enough room for it with out even having to reorganize the bottom or move any of the inputs.

In a Nintendo video?

I'm sure Nintendo has heard the outcry form it's now more massive than ever fanbase and has been spending those profits accordingly.
They didn't mention an LIVE like service before for nothing. Nintendo seems to be the master at telling you what they are working on without ever telling you much at all, and you never know that they just hinted to you until it's been officially revealed.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 17, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Is this EA-specific or, god help us, does the 3DS have a XBL-like   system?

Maybe it's that OS that lets you have multiple things open at once that they were talking about. Sounds great to me.

Anyway, I don't think we've discussed the tagline, there's so much they can do with it. I think 'It's N your face' would be fine blow chunks blow 3D chunks
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 17, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »

& there is sooo much unused real estate on the top screen area that it kind of bugs me little.
How about a bigger top screen and then a wide screen touch screen too (would also work well with onscreen keyboard)?

But think about the price.  I would assume that a regular touch screen, would be substantially cheaper than a 3D touch screen.  If you go adding 3D touch screen I would imagine the price would sky rocket.  Sure they are around, but are apparently only new tech, and possibly unreliable.  I think one is fine.  But I would like bigger screens.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 17, 2010, 02:38:37 AM »
I can not say this enough, I want them to switch the position of the d-pad and the analog nub. A bigger top screen would be nice as well fr playing movies.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 17, 2010, 03:00:36 AM »
I can not say this enough, I want them to switch the position of the d-pad and the analog nub. A bigger top screen would be nice as well fr playing movies.

You can say it as many times as you want, but your still wrong. The primary control system should be an analog stick, I mean we want accurate, smooth movement in 3D environments right? D-Pad's need not apply.

Did you play Star Fox 64 thinking, **** IF ONLY IT WERE AN SNES CONTROLLER.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 17, 2010, 03:14:33 AM »
Could someone make a stick with a base that could pop into that slider?

Ah screw it, bad idea.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:16 AM »

But think about the price.  I would assume that a regular touch screen, would be substantially cheaper than a 3D touch screen.  If you go adding 3D touch screen I would imagine the price would sky rocket.  Sure they are around, but are apparently only new tech, and possibly unreliable.  I think one is fine.  But I would like bigger screens.

I didn't say anything about a 3D touch screen. Just a larger one, on the bottom, and then an even larger top screen to fill in some of that empty space.
I say just push the system up to $199 and with all the games just revealed, it will still sell out.

It hasn't even come out yet and it's already amassing a far better 3rd party line up than the Wii has in 4 years. Top that off with more stellar 1st party support and 3D movies and you won't keep this on the shelf for the next 5 years.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 17, 2010, 06:38:57 AM »
I like the idea that this could work as a Wii controller. Combining touch controls with Wii games would be pretty neat and something I always wanted to see happen with other games between Wii and DS. I hope it can synch up with the Wii like that via Bluetooth.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 17, 2010, 09:49:19 AM »
Hey guys, question. Will the 3D effect of the 3DS work for me? I have one eye that's lazy and astigmatism. I've watched Disney's Christmas Carol with the 3D glasses and it worked for me, so I'm assuming it will be the same for the 3DS? I really want the 3D effect to work for me when I purchase the system.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 17, 2010, 10:26:40 AM »
Could this be a hint of a 3DS virtual console?

http://kotaku.com/5565824/rumor-3ds-allows-game-installs

Look at the bottom right corner of this picture. Is it a 3DS game cartridge?

http://www.infendo.com/nintendo-3ds-on-the-show-floor/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:39:16 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #692 on: June 17, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »
Look at the bottom right corner of this picture. Is it a 3DS game cartridge?

http://www.infendo.com/nintendo-3ds-on-the-show-floor/

That's what it looks like.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 17, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
Hey guys, question. Will the 3D effect of the 3DS work for me? I have one eye that's lazy and astigmatism. I've watched Disney's Christmas Carol with the 3D glasses and it worked for me, so I'm assuming it will be the same for the 3DS? I really want the 3D effect to work for me when I purchase the system.
There's a good chance you will see it.  The nice thing about the 3DS is that you don't need to be able to see the 3D in order to enjoy the system because the 3D can be turned off.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 17, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »
That's good to hear, I heard that one eye and people with lazy eye wouldn't be able to see the 3D effect, so I was worried. As Disney's Christmas Carol 3D worked for me last Christmas, so I would hope the 3DS
would too. I'm really stoked, this is the first time since the DS that I've been excited over a handheld, I love the DS.. however I've only ever brought two games in the last 6 years I've owned it.

The 3DS has a great library already and I'm really stoked, Snake eater looks impressive. I just wonder what the pricing will be for both system and games.

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 17, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »
You only got one eye?

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 17, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »
Is there any info or screens for the classic game collection?  I'm curious about that.  What is it classic arcade games (or console games) where the background layers appear at various 3D depths?  It would be mostly a gimmick, but could be kinda cool to see sprites doing that sort of thing.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 17, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
lol, no. I have an eye disorder, one of my eyes is lazy and astigmatism. So I was hoping that wouldn't interfere with the 3DS's 3d effect.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 17, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »

The different sized screens don't really matter except for when the action switches between them. Games like Contra 4 wouldn't work unless the sides of the top screen were blacked out. By this, I'm not referring to backward compatibility. Rather, a game that uses both screens as one big screen. If that's the only real difference, I can't see Nintendo justifying this design choice. Everything that can be done with the current 3DS set-up is possible with 2 widescreen displays. For games that need the whole screen for gameplay, there's the top screen. However, some of the most innovative software on DS such as Elite Beat Agents, Nintendogs, and The World Ends with You used the touch screen as the main screen for control and gameplay.
But it looks like there is enough room for the wide screen on the bottom without even moving the analog, dpad or buttons.
Pretty sure there is, however, the point is moot, considering these are prototypes which may reflect the final design, but are prototypes nonetheless. If there isn't room, Nintendo has like 8-9 months to come up with a different design. Nintendo did it in less time 6 years ago.

And I'm with you on the real-estate of the top screen. It's due to the bezel and placement of start/home/select which could be easily moved.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 17, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »
anyone believes that it'll launch around the holidays this year? Seems to be following in the footsteps of it's predecessor  I'd be really excited if that's the case for an US launch this holiday.