Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 549972 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
If the 3DS has a movie player, what kind of format will it play the movies in? For example, .avi, MP4, or something else? What would be the cheapest for Nintendo and most effiecient for the Consumer?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
If the 3DS has a movie player, what kind of format will it play the movies in? For example, .avi, MP4, or something else? What would be the cheapest for Nintendo and most effiecient for the Consumer?
Why do you always ask questions that we couldn't possibly have the answer to?

I get it now.

I guess I have no interest in graphics at all. The 3DS intrigued me with...you know...the 3D, but other than that, I would be more impressed with a rumor that detailed the layout of buttons and screens and if there is a joystick or not.

According to that FCC filing, it looks like the 3DS has atleast 1 joystick
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30917.msg609168#msg609168
and if you look closely, not only do you see the joystick, but the button arrangement on the board.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:49:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Looks like the DS in terms of layout. I see a D-pad and 8 other buttons.

The joystick looks decent, but it looks really small.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
And so what if a familiar company made the chip. It will be completely propriety to Nintendo standards anyhow, so comparing it to their previous chips is unnecessary and irrelevant. Take ATI again, the Gecko chip was nothing like what they had produced for computers and other devices at the time.
Well actually the Gecko chip was not made by ATI but acquired by ATI after they bought the company that Nintendo was working with to create the Gecko (or whatever it was called for the GC).  So while it was ATI's chip, they did not originally make it.

So even if it is NEC or whoever, they may have recently bought another start up and are using their tech in the 3DS.  Have we headrd of any Japanese company that recently (last 18 months or so) bought out a smaller company because they wanted the tech?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Glad Nvidia is not involved cuz I don't want them swimming in the same exclusive Club Nintendo Money Pool as ArtX's offspring.  Hated their chips since the Riva TNT.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
Joynub confirmed?

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
Glad Nvidia is not involved cuz I don't want them swimming in the same exclusive Club Nintendo Money Pool as ArtX's offspring.  Hated their chips since the Riva TNT.
Ah yes, ArtX was their name.  I always thought of them as promising.  I wouldn't want nVidia either as they don't care at all about power management (see their new 470 and 480 discrete graphics cards).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Looks like the DS in terms of layout. I see a D-pad and 8 other buttons.

It also appears that the top screen is widescreen and the bottom screen isn't, but I'm really hoping they change that before the official reveal.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Final Fantasy VII announcement - now in 3D
« Reply #408 on: June 07, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
I can just imagine the RPG MENUS popping out in 3D.  So futuristic.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile

My apologies, BnM, but I wanted to spur a discussion about the 3DS having a movie player. You always seem to be able to bring good sources of information about technology and I just wanted to find out.

What is this Final Fantasy 7 in 3D? Is the game coming out on 3DS?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:12:23 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 07, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »

My apologies, BnM, but I wanted to spur a discussion about the 3DS having a movie player. You always seem to be able to bring good sources of information about technology and I just wanted to find out.

What is this Final Fantasy 7 in 3D? Is the game coming out on 3DS?
Nope, that is Pro's new joke about the 3DS.  This is the thread that we speculate on what the 3DS entails and he's decided to start a rumor that FFVII is coming to the 3DS which there is no rumor before about it nor proof.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 07, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
There's something about Nintendo possibly releasing a handheld that's significally more powerful than their current home console that seems really odd to me.

I know there's a ton of nVidia hate, but I'm impressed by the Tegra and the Tegra II would, obviously, be even more impressive. I remember reading an article where they pegged the Tegra II as slightly more powerful than the Wii. If Nintendo is going for an even more powerful chipset, I can only imagine this would be a response to the supposed power of PSP2 which rumors have it close to Xbox 360 level of power. Somehow Sony convinced 3rd parties to support PSP despite it's many shortcomings. I like my PSP because it has some excellent software even though I'm baffled as to how Sony pulled their extensive support. Nintendo says they're not competing, but we all know they are. Every cent consumers spend on Sony/MS is not being spent on Nintendo products. If Nintendo can keep costs down (sub-$200 MSRP) and have 3DS be a powerhouse as well, they should go for it. Matching or coming close to PSP2's power basically takes away Sony's one advantage over Nintendo in the handheld arena. Always a good thing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 07, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »
Mobile chipsets have been sprinting to catch up with desktop equivalents for the last few years. What we have in the DS now is probably a $5 chipset today and even at the time it was released, was probably not the best bang for buck chipset out at the time that didn't devour batteries in the process.

Another thing to think about is that the GC chipset was designed with shrinking it down in the future in mind. The Wii is basically a souped up GC, which was in turn probably also being scaled down at the same time. So instead of looking at a shrunken GC chipset for the 3DS we could be looking at a shrunken Wii chipset in the 3DS or even a beefed up shrunken Wii chipset of some sort.

A whole other scenario is that Nvidia isn't actually out of the picture, but the 3DS isn't using Tegra/II, it's using a heavily modified version of it that you wouldn't be called Tegra/II.

The point being that a mobile chipset capable of running Wii+ graphics shouldn't be very difficult to produce at a price that is fair and affordable. Especially at the size order that Nintendo would be making.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #413 on: June 07, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »
As for what else is gonna be NEW about the 3DS besides the 3D;
How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXITjLurof0
Tactile Feedback for the touch screens.
http://www.diginfo.tv/index.php?ofs=1&pid=24
apparently dirt cheap once in mass production (~$0.10-$0.20 a piece)

edit: LOL
from the Rumor thread and also posted in this thread somewhere around the same date
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg597206#msg597206
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:02:36 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
Apple annoucing the iphone 4 is a swipe towards Nintendo because the 3DS is going to be revealed less than a week from now. They have included wii style accelerometers and this is a sign that Apple has answered Nintendo's call of being the enemy of the future.

Supposedly the Iphone 4 is retailing for $199.99 and this gives credence to my theory that the 3DS will not have a price above $200 just for the sake of competiveness. I am now seeing the 3DS at $180 to just piss Apple off.

I forsee some kind of skype enabled communication for the 3DS to compete with Apple's phone service. To compete with itunes, I see Nintendo teaming up with Google to merge some kind of multimedia itunes-esque service for the 3DS for movie and music purchases. Nintendo will mistl likely take a hands off approach to this in the mean time and let the consumer and Google to work it out.

When Nintendo announces the 3DS, the PSP will be officially dead as a consumer product, atleast in my eyes. Sony will have no choice but to reveal the PSP 2 and if it fails, they may fall out of the handheld market temporarily until they ragain their bairings.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:55:10 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
Apple has announced an iPhone every year around this time for the past four years, so I'm pretty sure it's not a swipe at Nintendo. Also, the iPhone has always had accelerometers. The only new thing is that they're adding a gyroscope. I don't think Apple is concerned with Nintendo at the moment. They just wanna sell phones and apps and ad space and all that other **** they sell.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
E3 cannot come soon enough.

Two things Nintendo is known for is being kiddy and for NOT including things in their consoles and software(online), this is their chance to prove everyone wrong on the leaving out category, but I feel like that should, at the very least for the sake of marketing, be coupled with a big partnership like with Google, Nvidia, or MS... but that's actually another thing Nintendo is known for: not partnering with other companies.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:59 PM »
E3 cannot come soon enough.

Two things Nintendo is known for is being kiddy and for NOT including things in their consoles and software(online), this is their chance to prove everyone wrong on the leaving out category, but I feel like that should, at the very least for the sake of marketing, be coupled with a big partnership like with Google, Nvidia, or MS... but that's actually another thing Nintendo is known for: not partnering with other companies.

They could partner with other companies in the sense that they may provide services that Nintendo is unwilling to enter or feels like they may be too inadequate to provide to the consumer. For example:

Netflix: Movie Service
Google: Multimedia storefor apps, internet service(payable?)
Skype: Some kind of communication app that allows the 3DS to be a phone

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2010, 11:17:11 PM »
Two things Nintendo is known for is being kiddy

I though crap like this stopped years ago, but I see there are still people who believe that non-sense. The only people who ever thought that were people who were anti-Nintendo.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:09 PM »
But Nintendo has been partnered up with IBM and ArtX/ATi/AMD for the last 2 generations....
also Sharp & ARM on the handheld sector since..... forever.

But I'm 100% behind a Google/Nintendo team up (see rumor thread) for certain things like background OS/Online/3DS-Wii2Ware-App Store.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 08, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »
As much as I would like to be proven wrong, Nintendo will never have an app store (at least this coming generation). It baffled me that they even allowed Netflix on their console.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:14 AM »
Well, clearly, there's a first for everything then.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 08, 2010, 12:36:10 AM »
NVC podcast has some 3DS rumors, sounds like POWER POWAH YALL

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=126192

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 08, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »
Very interesting. It is true that you need at least double the processing speed and ram to output 3D, but I didn't think that had to do with the graphical capabilities.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 08, 2010, 12:50:14 AM »
Why do you guys always force me to click through?

NVC podcast has some 3DS rumors, sounds like POWER POWAH YALL

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=126192
E3

- Craig thinks the 3DS name won’t change
- Craig has Epic Mickey scheduled in his second day at E3

3DS

- Craig backs up the 360/PS3 power rumor, as he's the one that got the info from devs
- devs were very impressed with the power
- Quality of the visuals will depend on the resolution of the 3D screen
- significant power needed for the double rendering of 3d image
- 3D will be an option on the system itself
- Apparently a slider will be able to toggle the strength of the 3D effect
- IGN believes there will be a Mario Kart game
- Developers are trying to figure out what to do with the 3D
- some devs still waiting on 3DS dev kits
- Craig has heard the 3D effect is very cool

so no one else has to.