Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 548511 times)

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #650 on: June 16, 2010, 12:10:27 AM »
From Kotaku's 3DS spec sheet:

http://kotaku.com/5564518/check-out-the-3ds-hardware-specs?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=laconica

"STYLUS

4-inch stylus (when full extended)"

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »
Sounds good to me, I'd figure Netflix would Jump on the bandwagon as it had for Wii.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
3DS Stylus has internal memory that lets you transfer data from unit to unit by putting the stylus into it's holder.

Sort of like a flash drive? THe stylus for this thing will most likely be a miniturized wiimote at the least. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 16, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »
From Kotaku's 3DS spec sheet:

http://kotaku.com/5564518/check-out-the-3ds-hardware-specs?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=laconica

"STYLUS

4-inch stylus (when full extended)"

Yeah, I saw that.  But if that was really all it was, there would surely be a photo of it somewhere. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2010, 12:32:46 AM »
I really really hope they put two identical sized screen in the final unit.

But assuming this cost $189.99, would any of you be willing to buy a 3DS XL $219.99
that had 2x4.5" screens?
I would. I think it's worth the extra money. I kind of get the impression that since the top screen is the 3D one, Nintendo just assumed that developers will use that as the "action" screen despite the fact that several DS games, including some of their own, used both screens for gameplay. I think switching between the 2 sizes would be disorienting. Since the E3 unit isn't final, I think it's possible for Nintendo to change this though I wouldn't hold my breath. I would prefer if both screens were touch and 3D as well but that's asking too much.

I really hope they reconsider the addition of a right analog stick/slide pad. It makes sense. I think it depends on 3rd party input and E3 impressions. Nintendo has plenty of time to adjust the hardware. Still, not holding my breath. Would be nice though. You'd think this wouldn't be an issue considering everyone and their mother agreed that PSP would have greatly benefit from a second analog nub, even if a game still worked well without it.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »
Engadget is reporting that none of the demos on the show floor actually used the accelerometer/gyroscope... you would think that would be a feature they would want to show off. Nintendo themselves could have used it for Pilotwings to demonstrate its accuracy. Along with them leaving out rumble, and a release date, it makes me wonder just how far along the 3DS really is, that even Nintendo didn't have those features in their games.

Engadget also has brief impressions of some games which I was glad to find:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/nintendo-3ds-in-depth-preview-it-works/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:37:04 AM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2010, 12:39:14 AM »
I still think that Nintendo should put the 3DS d-pad where the analog nub is located. Second, the dial/lever for the 3D visuals on the upper screen should be changed to something like the volume nodes on the DSi. A dial seems to vulnerable to wear and tear and potential damage. They could put the nodes in the bottom right corner of the upper screen and I would be happy. They could make it touch sensitive with the pointer of the stylus to adjsut the 3D image.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
I forgot about rumble! Maybe there's hope! (Probably not)

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
That analog nub kind of looks like the d-pad of the Neo Geo Pocket. Which adds more credence to my theory that the 3DS will have a virtual handheld service.

NeoGeoPocketMonochrome.jpgNintendo3DS.jpg

Do they look similar enough to be emulated?

How about the Game Gear?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:57:29 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2010, 12:51:44 AM »
Engadget also has brief impressions of some games which I was glad to find:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/nintendo-3ds-in-depth-preview-it-works/

Classics collection: Something we wouldn't expect, but a roundup of a few of Nintendo's classic titles (Super Mario Bros., Yoshi's Island were a couple we saw) is actually served pretty will by the 3DS, with those familiar pixelated backgrounds given just a bit of depth. It's unclear if, when or how this would hit market, but we sure hope it does.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 16, 2010, 01:27:36 AM »
I just got an idea on how Nintendo can sell this system like gangbusters to gamers outside their typical fanbase. Set demo units of this badboy at Gamestop, BestBuy, Walmart, and any other large store with Madden 11. Madden 11 in 3d will have a chunck of current PSP owners jumping ship with the quickness. We already know the Nintendo fanbase will be purchasing the system day 1 along with the casuals that get caught up in all the holiday hype, but the Sony and Xbox followers will swarm to Madden and the like.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #661 on: June 16, 2010, 03:00:42 AM »
Does anyone know if the touch screen is multitouch?  Or if it has more touch sensors?  Not that it matters much, because multitouch may not be useful on a small screen.

Also, I am really pleased with those updated graphics on the Nintendo 64 games.  I am hoping that Nintendo decides to release a 3DS store for downloads that have been 3D-ified.  And it sounds exactly like what Nintendo would do...upgrade the graphics and add 3D and then sell it again to all of us.

Though, if they are full fledged games maybe they can have additional content?  I will still buy them just for the updated graphics and 3D but I want more.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2010, 03:09:11 AM »
As far as we know, it's a stylus-based touch screen, and (also as far as we know) it only has one stylus.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2010, 03:56:43 AM »
Stylus control doesn't mean it can't be multi-touch...just unlikely.

I think I am excited about a Classic Nintendo Collection.  I would love Nintendo to release a full priced game that has 3Dified classic games.

Like 10 classic Nintendo games, would be awesome.  Then perhaps a 64 collection. 

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 16, 2010, 05:08:02 AM »
Can't wait to see what the 3DS can really do, I hope they'll announce the launch date/price soon, this looks awesome. On could be on Par with PS3/360. I doubt sony could counter that, seeing their financial issues with the psp among other things.

Oot looks good.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »
but the Sony and Xbox followers will swarm to Madden and the like.
Just what I always wanted, whiny teenager fan brats in my fanbase. :I
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 16, 2010, 12:13:05 PM »
Just what I always wanted, whiny teenager fan brats in my fanbase. :I

Hey, I'm a fan of Madden and sports games in general,  I take offence to that.  j/k lol.  I get what your saying but you shouldn't stereotype gamers less you be stereotyped yourself lol.  I'm sure there are whiney teenager brats in the Madden demograph but from my experience through my Friends, the Madden fans and the like are always adults who fall in between the casual and the hardcore.  They like their shooters, sports, and multiplayer games but don't really put too much into gaming as a whole to see gems like Kirby's Epic Yarn (for example) for what they're worth.  They either never hear of such games or if they do, they just dismiss it out of ignorance (which they aren't even aware they have) 

All in all though, I'm thinking more towards Nintendo's benefit, not us.  Nintendo would want to eat into the PSP fanbase.  Having these type of games opens the doors for others to follow such as one of the numbered GTA series or something similar to Forza/GTA as examples.  I for one would love to have some of those games we don't see too often on a handheld. 

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 16, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »
That analog nub kind of looks like the d-pad of the Neo Geo Pocket. Which adds more credence to my theory that the 3DS will have a virtual handheld service.

NeoGeoPocketMonochrome.jpgNintendo3DS.jpg

Do they look similar enough to be emulated?

How about the Game Gear?

The virtual handheld service would be even better if Nintendo and the other comapnies went back and made their titles in 3D.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 16, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »
I found this great in depth video of the 3DS which I'd like to pass on to you all. It explains all the ports and buttons on the system which one in particular caught my eye. On the back of the system, there is a port which many thought was for LAN port but in the video I think he describes it as an infra-red receiver.

They also compare the 3d affect from the 3DS to that on the PS3 which I found some of the comments to be very interesting. They stated that some of the 3d in the Killzone demo felt layered as apposed to actual depth. Let me stop describing it and let you see for yourself, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtS6mc8lrRw

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 16, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
I really really hope they put two identical sized screen in the final unit.

But assuming this cost $189.99, would any of you be willing to buy a 3DS XL $219.99
that had 2x4.5" screens?
I would. I think it's worth the extra money. I kind of get the impression that since the top screen is the 3D one, Nintendo just assumed that developers will use that as the "action" screen despite the fact that several DS games, including some of their own, used both screens for gameplay. I think switching between the 2 sizes would be disorienting. Since the E3 unit isn't final, I think it's possible for Nintendo to change this though I wouldn't hold my breath. I would prefer if both screens were touch and 3D as well but that's asking too much.

I really hope they reconsider the addition of a right analog stick/slide pad. It makes sense. I think it depends on 3rd party input and E3 impressions. Nintendo has plenty of time to adjust the hardware. Still, not holding my breath. Would be nice though. You'd think this wouldn't be an issue considering everyone and their mother agreed that PSP would have greatly benefit from a second analog nub, even if a game still worked well without it.

I think the screen mis-sizing is on purpose to discourage developers using both as one screen.  Nintendo had made a comment about how the touch screens gets smudgy and not ideal for viewing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 16, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »
NES MAX Returns.  It reminds me a lot of that.
That was my thought as well.  But it sounds like it has true analog control, so it's even better.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 16, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »
I think the screen mis-sizing is on purpose to discourage developers using both as one screen.  Nintendo had made a comment about how the touch screens gets smudgy and not ideal for viewing.
Maybe. Sounds like PR to me, kind of like when Sony said they ditched rumble in favor motion controls because they supposedly couldn't coexist. Besides, with 3D optional, there's really no reason why both screens can't be used for gameplay. Nintendo themselves even had a few games that used both screens for action. For example, New Super Mario Bros. switched screens sometimes albeit not terribly often. I kind of feel like that's the advantage of having 2 screens and so many options. I don't think Nintendo should be discouraging developers from anything. They should want developers to use their hardware in any inventive way they please in order to make the best games possible.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 16, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »
This 3DS model might be a prototype and Nintendo has the real thing for reveal later in the year. This is just like the actual DS prototype that was shown at E3 2004 and the actual version was released later that year and was radically different that what was hown at E3 of that year.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 16, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »
Yeah, the E3 2004 DS models were hideous. Still, the changes were purely cosmetic. The chances of Nintendo changing one of the screens and adding an additional analog slider thing is slim at best. Not impossible, but probably not going to happen. If people speak out, especially developers, they might convince Nintendo. I remember reading that Epic Games showed Microsoft what Gears of War would look like with the planned 256MB of RAM then with 512 MB of RAM and then Microsoft was went ahead and added the extra RAM. Still, that's Microsoft and this is Nintendo. I digress. Making those additions probably wouldn't be too hard between now and when the design is finalized, but I'm not expecting much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 16, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
Yeah, the E3 2004 DS models were hideous. Still, the changes were purely cosmetic. The chances of Nintendo changing one of the screens and adding an additional analog slider thing is slim at best. Not impossible, but probably not going to happen. If people speak out, especially developers, they might convince Nintendo. I remember reading that Epic Games showed Microsoft what Gears of War would look like with the planned 256MB of RAM then with 512 MB of RAM and then Microsoft was went ahead and added the extra RAM. Still, that's Microsoft and this is Nintendo. I digress. Making those additions probably wouldn't be too hard between now and when the design is finalized, but I'm not expecting much.

Is it too far fetched to assume that a Mass Effect and Gears of War 3DS game could happen, but I see Microsoft clamping down on this though.