Author Topic: Will Zelda: Wind Waker break sales records?  (Read 9656 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Will Zelda: Wind Waker break sales records?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2003, 05:45:00 AM »
An anime style Zelda might be possible for the next game in the series, assuming it looks "cooler"...I think that if Wind Waker does poorly                     in North America and Europe, Nintendo will definitely feel the pressure to make the design more mainstream...but I'm getting off topic.  This sounds like an interesting idea for a new thread.

I'd still like to see the game do well purely because I'm a fan of Zelda and Nintendo.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2003, 02:07:46 PM »
HOLY SH!T, that preorder thing is really working, Ocarina of Time on GAMECUBE is number one on Gamefaqs, and Ocarina of Time on N54 is number six. Vice City had been number one since the day it came out, Zelda has put a stop to the juggernaught! I bet that OOT bonus disk will be the number one game in February if it's counted as a game. Smart move Nintendo, VERY smart move.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2003, 05:00:06 PM »
i think i read somewhere that there was already something like 265,000 pre orders and this was before they officially started the pre-order program. The game is already a hit. 200, 000 in sales constitutes a hit. The game is not out yet and its a hit. I may take back my previous statements. Now whether or not the sales will rise significantly above the pre-order sales and rise to an uber million seller giant is subject to various facors. I just hope the world is different then i beleive it is.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline yeg0

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2003, 06:26:09 PM »
I think it will do well at lauch, slump, and rise again when everyone who bought at launch tells their friends and such...
-yeg0

"HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2003, 09:50:48 AM »
It's entirely too hard to say for sure what the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker sales will do, but if Super Smash Brothers: Melee is any indication, it will continue to sell. Unlike Metroid Prime, Zelda has a main mascot appeal to it, and unlike Super Mario Sunshine, as long as it truly delivers, it will have some amount of staying power.

However, it occurs to me that everybody and his brother that owns a Gamecube is preordering Zelda, namely for the bonus disc. Frankly, I'm surprised if Nintendo shipped 250,000 bonus discs. I think Ocarina of Time could sell 3,000,000 copies on the Gamecube, too.

If there are enough preorders, it will be hard for Zelda to keep up that kind of pace. However, I do think the amount of consoles sold will spike in response to the release. The increase will be the factor. With only a small climb in console sales, Wind Waker should sell approximately 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 copies in all. If good number of consoles move, then it could sell 3,000,000 no sweat. If Wind Waker caused the kind of craze Ocarina of Time did, then it would probably tie or break its record, but I don't think that will happen. It's just not likely.

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2003, 01:16:28 PM »
I think that WW sales will be hurt by the graphic style, but I don't think it will hurt that bad. I know a few casual gamers who don't want the Zelda game because of the graphics, but in the long run I think WW will do really well.

I used to be one of those people who totally hated the toon shading, but over time it's grown on me a little bit. I would still much rather prefer realistic graphics, but I will finally admit that the toon shading is probably the best approach to the WW game. I think they should keep the toon graphics for the rest of the GC games, but upgrade to realistic graphics as soon as technology is advanced enough where you can get the fluidity of toon shading with realistic graphics. That'll be the day.

The toon shading looks pretty nice in the video clips, but what's up with the ReDead's?I was laughing out loud when I saw a picture of them.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2003, 05:30:32 PM »
The latest number seems to be 300,000 preorders. 300,000 is a great number, but it seems low because they had 250,000 before the Bonus disk deal started. That means after heavy promotion, they only got an additional 50,000.

Maybe 300,000 refers to the number of Bonus disk they produced and the actual pre-orders number is higher.

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2003, 05:34:39 AM »
From 600,000 pre-orders to 950,000 sales on day 1 & 2??
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2003, 08:48:57 AM »
Where did you get those numbers?

And I have to say that after playing Wind Waker, I don't think there's a single person in the world who can say the graphics have ruined it for them without it being a lie. It looks so fluid and natural (the graphics) that I don't know if another Zelda game will ever top it. There's too much about this game that feels natural and welcoming.

After the fence riding people give this game a try, they will most certainly want to buy it. I wouldn't doubt if this game doesn't pass a million sales within its first two weeks of release.