Author Topic: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?  (Read 43126 times)

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2003, 08:23:44 PM »
I really don't see how someone can say the N64 Zelda graphics are better than Wind Waker's. They are very outdated now. It's like someone saying the original Legend of Zelda graphics are better than A Link to the Past's graphics.

Now if you are talking about the art style then that is a different story. Honestly, though the Zelda 64 DO NOT have realistic graphics. Both the N64 games and Wind Waker are cartoony it's just that Wind Waker has a different style.

Personally, I have recently gained a greater appreciation for Wind Waker's graphics. After playing Ocarina of Time for the first time recently after having beaten Wind Waker I felt the graphics were very ugly and outdated. Wind Waker is a truly gorgeous game and even though I've said that I would rather they use Ocarina's art style with cel-shading in the past I really don't feel that way anymore. Especially after realizing that most of the characters in Ocarina of Time have that weird deformed look that the Wind Waker characters have.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
RE:Zelda: Wind Waker was it a let down?
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2003, 08:12:22 AM »
Try this...

Imagine a version of Wind Waker in OoT graphics. All that water, looking like it did in OoT. How could you do that! It just wouldn't work for the type of game that WW is. However applying WW graphics to OoT would look great but make it look a bit more childish. The fact is that the two graphics styles are perfectly suited to what they need to do. OoT needed to look gritty and a bit frightning. WW needed to look bright and cheery but still be able to worry you (the earth temple scared me a bit!).  

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2003, 03:45:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Jale
Try this...

Imagine a version of Wind Waker in OoT graphics. All that water, looking like it did in OoT. How could you do that! It just wouldn't work for the type of game that WW is ...The fact is that the two graphics styles are perfectly suited to what they need to do.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Oh and also, I think that Majora's Mask, unfortunately one of Zelda's most undervalued games or so it seems, would have looked even better celshaded, but that would confilct with it being a continuation of the Hero of Time story so they'd have to make Link resemble OOT Link for it to make sense. MM was just so unusual, so "out of this world" that, after playing WW (and Viewtiful Joe) I think celshading would have been perfect for the game. Unfortunately, the N64 didn't have the guts to allow a celshaded game to play smoothly.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2003, 06:06:08 PM »
I always thought Link's Awakening would be awesome if cel-shaded, too.  Well, not always. . . only since I played Wind Waker.  But I'd rather them do a new game than a remake any day.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline i wanna rock

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2003, 04:29:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill
It really makes me wonder if the people that diss Wind Waker's graphics have even PLAYED a Zelda game before OoT...The ignorance of some people pisses me off so much...

So you imply I am ignorant now? What would it matter if someone had'nt played a Zelda game before OoT? Would it make their playing of the more recent games less exciting? I know i should'nt be 'dissing' you, as you odviously have some respect and experiance on these boards, i should'nt be answering back to such a pressence that uses words such as diss.

The ignorance of SOME people pisses you off? So you are either a very upset person, or very prejudiced. Every one is ignorant in one aspect or another.
Why don't you tell me what the famous words of Colonel Inglis were at the battle of Albuera? Because I get SO pissed of when people are ignorant about that one....

Originally posted by: Gibdo Master
Honestly, though the Zelda 64 DO NOT have realistic graphics.

At what point did I say in my post that they were realistic?

Originally posted by: evil intentions
Complain to someone else about your problems, because Ninty did a great job.

So my opinions are irrelevant becuase your opinion happens to be the same as everyone else on this board?
You match my opinion with an opinion?
Unless this is an area for people who love WW and hold the same opinion as each other, I am allowed to post here.
You would rather have me go so you can stay here syaing:
"God, the new style of graphics is so great.",
"Yes, it is isn't it?"
Oh would'nt life be great if we could all have conversations and agree with each other on everything...

Since my opinions are obviously not valued I shall respectfully stand down, as a game in the former graphics will not happen while everyone insists on loving these new graphics. I shall save my keyboard some wear.        
Signatures are a needless waste of bandwidth!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2003, 05:32:27 AM »
Calm down kids.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2003, 02:46:05 PM »
iwannarock, of COURSE you can have your own opinions and you should feel free to express them. That's what forums are for. But you have to expect that someone will disagree with you. And you can rebuttle to. Just don't attack the individual who disagrees. I mean, Bloodworth is obviously very close to shutting down this thread and I may not be helping the situation.

Regardless, my position remains the same: I cannot wait for the next "I am a tremendous clownboat.".

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2003, 04:32:34 PM »

Oh would'nt life be great if we could all have conversations and agree with each other on everything...

No, man.  People like you exist solely for the purpose of making conflict.  Keeps it interesting.

You don't seem like a bad guy, just saying that as far as I'm concerned, you are not a person.  Merely a few bits of electronic information on my computer that happen to disagree with me.  So it's hard to sympathize.  You think this argument against you with these graphics is bad, we're all living the Gamecube sucks battle from day to day. . . at least you and the rest of us can agree on some things video game related.  Don't pretend your the victim here, because we're all in the same position.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2003, 05:00:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
 Merely a few bits of electronic information on my computer that happen to disagree with me.

AH HA HA HA HA! Oh that is beautiful.

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2003, 04:03:23 PM »
The Wind Waker was about what I expected it to be, and my expectations weren't extremely high to begin with. I knew it wouldn't be anything like Ocarina or Majora's Mask, but it was all right. Some of the gameplay elements and puzzles were fun, but it was no where near the N64 Zeldas. The graphics were an ok change, but I would be very upset if they continued cel-shading Link. It's just too cartoony for me. Like the part when Tetra defies gravity for a second and falls down after the branch she was on breaks. I thought it was kind of dumb, but my 7-year old sister liked it. Go figure. Like I said, the graphics weren't that bothersome to me, but I would like a change in the future.

Another thing that bothered me was the time it took to beat the game. I figured that if they could make OOT last so long on the power of the N64 they should be able to make Wind Waker 3 times as long. Sadly, it appears they sacrificed a couple more levels in favor of a couple more miles of ocean.

However, the worst part of it all was the sailing. What the heck was Nintendo thinking? It seems I'm asking myself that question a lot now a days. I credit them for trying to be inovative, but let's face it. Sailing sucked. End of story. I've had beaten every Zelda game more than once until I played this. I just couldn't bring myself to endure all of that sailing again. I didn't even get all of the items and stuff it was so boring.

With that said, I'd give this game a 'B'. I mean, it is Zelda after all. However, if someone tried to pass this game off with any other character other than Link it would've been shot out of the sky. Hear's hoping for a slightly better game next time around.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2003, 06:42:24 PM »
Odd, this is the only Zelda game I've beaten more than once.  Three times, as a matter of fact.

Like the part when Tetra defies gravity for a second and falls down after the branch she was on breaks.

I agree.  That bit is annoying, even to me.  I suppose younger sisters are allowed to like it, though.

They did cut a few levels to get it out on time.  I'm hoping they put the levels into the sequel, or perhaps have a bonus disc that include those levels.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2003, 05:47:23 AM »
I like the bonus disk idea. I want to play them as they were meant to be played, in WW.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2003, 11:56:31 AM »
I would like to see a bonus disk containing the following:

Wind Waker with extra levels
Ocarina of Time in Wind Waker Graphics
Majora's Mask in Wind Waker Graphics

Offline xanrastafari

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2003, 04:05:14 PM »
Well I haven't beaten it yet (got it for xmas) but as of the fourth dungeon, it's good, but far, far too easy, both puzzle-wise and combat-wise.  Still pretty fun though.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2004, 07:19:47 AM »

However, the worst part of it all was the sailing. What the heck was Nintendo thinking? It seems I'm asking myself that question a lot now a days. I credit them for trying to be inovative, but let's face it. Sailing sucked. End of story. I've had beaten every Zelda game more than once until I played this. I just couldn't bring myself to endure all of that sailing again. I didn't even get all of the items and stuff it was so boring.

Sure, the sailing got boring after a while, and yes, it got annoying having to sail everywhere just to get to a tiny piece of land somewhere. But Ninty likes to try new things. It was a really good game. I loved the cel-shading. The sailing was only a part of the game. It didn't make the whole game bad. I still enjoyed all the puzzles and dungeons. WW was a really good game with a few things that made the game a bit annoying. Either way though, to me, all Zelda games are great.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2004, 10:10:58 AM »
Grey Ninja and I are quite possibly the only people on earth that actually liked the sailing.  Then again, I may be wrong about him; not sure.  And I am very easily entertained.

However, it is incredibly difficult to impress me, and to keep my attention for a while.  This game did both.  I played it three times.  I never played a long game three times before that (long being longer than one or two hours till completion, like many NES games).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2004, 11:52:38 AM »
Hey, don't forget about me!   to sailing!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline CardBoardBox

• Official Forum Blast Processor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2004, 12:03:09 PM »
I went to a sailing camp.  It hated it.   to capsizing

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2004, 05:31:45 AM »
I wasnt completly adverse to the sailing portion of the game. Sometimes it was a bit annoying but sometimes it was fine. One thing though: When it is raining the rain always falls towards the front of your boat, regardless of wind direction. Wierd!

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2004, 01:39:01 PM »
OOO! Add me to the list of sailovers. (Holy crap that was so bad I think I'm gonna throw myself in a tree grinder.) I live no where near water and I've gone sailing 1.2 times in my life. It's so much fun to be on the sea with the wind at your back and the boat is steadily going up and down. And the sky in WW looks so cool. I often just stop my boat and stare at the stars. Then a gosh darn storm comes by and ruins everything. I started another file of WW before Christmas and I'm 1/2 way done; I've use the Ballad of Gales twice. That's it. I just love sailing.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2004, 04:11:35 PM »
For some reason, I don't like to use the faster way out. I only used the Ballad of Gales once, and that was for the fire and ice arrows on top of mother and child isle. I did the sailing the whole time. It doesn't bother me much.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2004, 05:01:42 PM »
I think the sailing really gave you a sence of just how large the world was.  It took about 15 to 20 minutes to sail from corner to corner.  It did bother me to much, but once I got the ballad of gales, I used that from there on out.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2004, 05:31:04 PM »
Me too.  You realize that too much of a good thing can be bad, don't you evil intentions?

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2004, 08:10:19 AM »
I used the balled of gales loads when I was attempting to complete the Nintendo Gallery. If I had to sail the same route about 30 times I would have had to smash my head in with a brick (or just stop playing, whatever takes my fancy).

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2004, 06:52:39 AM »
Am I the only one who has noticed that the WW graphics are more in line with the traditional zelda graphics?  If you exclude OOT and MM, which I think are pretty consistent with WW graphics too, stylistically at least.  But my main piece of evidence is LttP.  WW is like that game but with a 3rd dimension graphically speaking.  I think it is completely appropriate that WW's graphics are like they are.  I'm sure that if the 64 would have had the power OOT would have looked like WW, its obviously the style they were aiming for.  OOTs graphics are not "realistic" who would call big blue and red 4 legged spiders realistic, and those weird jaws that all the people have?  The only thing realistic about it are the textures used, they tried to make a "grass" texture b/c they couldnt adequately paint grass like they do in WW.  Enough is enough, WW is graphically true to its roots, completely appropriate, and greatly appreciated by those who know.  
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306