Author Topic: The Good News  (Read 3987 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
The Good News
« on: February 25, 2003, 05:34:25 AM »
Here's the situation.  Last year Nintendo released new games in the Mario, Metroid and StarFox series, as well as some interesting new games like Animal Crossing and Eternal Darkeness.  This year we can definitely look forward to Zelda, Wario World, F-Zero, Giftpia and Mario Kart and we can possibly look forward to StarFox, Pikmin 2, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf and 1080 Avalanche.  Not to mention third-party exclusives like Harvest Moon, Virtua Fighter Quest, Project Number 03 and Viewtiful Joe.  Third party support is heads and tails above the Nintendo 64, and most of the first and second party games are actually on schedule for a change!

So what do we do?  Complain that we're losing a Wakeboarding game, or complain that we're not getting Castlevania...a game that Konami never ever claimed would be released for GameCube!  As far as I can tell the only truly bad announcement we've seen in recent weeks was the withdrawal of several sports titles on the GameCube; in my opinion there is more than enough good news to make up for that.

I think we may be looking at the best year Nintendo has had since the peak of the Super Nintendo era - there wasn't exactly a shining lineup of sports titles for that system either.  There are already more great titles than I can afford to buy this year, so I'm not going to weep for the loss of some THQrap or a few sports games, instead I'll celebrate all the excellent games that I couldn't play if I didn't have a GameCube.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Sean

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 07:59:05 AM »
Everyone should pay attention to Couch's breath of fresh air post here.  It's exactly dead on.  Couple this with Nintendo's utter profitability and their very steady, slow "sea change" concerning partnerships and game design, and you've got a bright future, even in the midst of a three console war.

I think if this gets said often enough, one or two of you MIGHT just begin to understand that Nintendo has a handle on things.  It's just too bad it has to be said so often, and with so little effect.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline jasstoltz

• View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 08:26:55 AM »
A great point. Personally I couldn't care less if Sony or Microsoft have sold more consoles so long as Nintendo isn't going under (clearly they aren't), and so long as great games continue to come out for the GameCube (clearly they are). I think it would be a safe argument to make that GameCube more than holds its own as far as quality of games, which, to the gamer not the businessman, is far more important. Would it be nice to play Grand Theft Auto on GameCube? Of course! But there are a lot of PS2 owners who don't care that they "are winning" when they can't play Zelda or Metroid.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 08:37:34 AM »
All I can say is, TRUE
and now go look at the new PN03 suits in the PN03 thread.
LZ 2005

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 10:13:39 AM »
I doubt it's even possible for Nintendo to do bad business in 2003. I mean just look at this exclusive support alone! I can't bare to look at 3rd party multiplatform games like Soul Calibur 2, as I'm already being "forced" to buy at least 10 exclusives the rest of this year ^_^

Evolution Worlds NEO, Shrek: Extra Large, Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2, Resident Evil 0, Sonic Mega Collection, Super Monkey Ball 2, Metroid Prime, E.T., Tube Slider, Zelda: The Wind Waker (+OOT/URA), Skies of Arcadia Legends, Wario World, Lost Kingdoms 2, 1080ΒΊ: Avalanche, F-Zero GC, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Mario Golf GC, Mario Tennis GC, Mario Kart GC, Dead Phoenix, Donkey Kong GC, Giftpia, Eclipse, Game Zero, Kirby's Airland, Marionette, Mega Man Network Transmission, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, P.N.03, Pichu Bros. Party Panic, Pikmin 2, (Pokemon 3D), Sonic Adventure 1 DX, Star Fox Armada, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3, Viewtiful Joe & maybe Too Human & Golden Sun GC.  
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 10:13:50 AM »
I don't know where I'm going to find the money to get all these games. . . and don't forget Killer 7, Metroid Prime 2, and Kirby.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 11:12:16 AM »
There are a lot of good games coming to the GCN this year and I believe it could be the most exciting year in GCN's history. Still I hate the fact that we're getting a lot less sports games. That is my favorite genre and if they take it away I'm going to have to jump ship to PS2 I guess it's all right though as long as I have NCAA Football and Madden. Take those away and I'll be seriously pissed.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 11:19:39 AM »
I'm not into sports games, but as for you. . . the Mario sports games are fun. . . I don't figure that's what you're into, but it's better than nothing.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 03:03:55 PM »
sigh, looks like i have another 2 jobs to get just to buy these games (which subsiquently will leave me no time for gaming) woe is me!!

but seriously, yippee a terrific line up coming out for gamecube my lovely little purple box wont know whats hit it also its good to see some optimism for a change!! i thank you couchmonkey perhaps it will spread to the doom and gloom merchants around here hell bent on giving up on their "favorite" console

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
The Good News
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2003, 03:14:15 PM »
I personally cannot wait for Mega Man Transmission or Mario Tennis. I do not like tennis but the game is just so fun you cant help but playing it. It is going to be a huge hit. I also cannot wait for the Four Horsemen of Apocolypse. That game looks crazy! I bet it is going to be all over the news about being so violent.
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!