Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553180 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5575 on: July 06, 2017, 10:20:05 PM »
Spider-Man Homecoming - 10/10

I was afraid that this movie was going to get over-hyped, especially with how much promotion it's received. Well, that didn't happen. It is, absolutely, by far, the best Spider-Man movie ever. None of the others even come close. We finally get a high school Spider-Man that actually seems like a high school student, who goes to school with other high school students. We finally get a villain that has a conscience although, yes, he does murder one person in the movie. We finally get the true MCU Spider-Man movie that we've always wanted. There were 5 Spider-Man movies before this one - the Green Goblin was in 4 of them, thankfully he is not in this one, and there is no mention of any Osborns at all. Honestly watching any of the previous Spider-Man movies now seems like it would feel like a chore. I hope that the Venom movie does somehow relate to this movie, because this movie is absolute gold.

Now for some spoilers: Yes, Zendaya does play MJ, but her first name is Michelle, so technically she's not Mary Jane...but yet she kind of is. Vulture does not die, he's in prison in the first post-credits scene and lies to Mac Gargan, denying that he knows Spider-Man's identity - because Spider-Man saves Vulture's daughter earlier in the movie (who is Peter's love interest), and saves Vulture at the end. Also, the man that he just lied to will most likely be the villain of the next movie, and he's better known as Scorpion. Pepper Potts returns and Tony proposes to her to make up for the press conference that was going to happen at the end, but Tony has to improvise because Peter turns down the invitation to join The Avengers, after setting his eyes on, and refusing, the completely bad-ass Iron Spider costume that Tony made for him. Aunt May finds out that Peter is Spider-Man right at the end and yells out "What the fu--" right as the credits start.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: July 07, 2017, 12:40:59 AM »
I am so behind on movies, might have to go binge some on my own. Wish I had more friends to go see them with.

Have yet to see Logan, GotG2, Pirates, or Wonder Woman. Gotta get on the cinema train! Might skip them all and go straight to Spidey because of all the positive feedback I've heard so far.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: July 07, 2017, 01:58:22 AM »
Spider-Man was awesome. No joke.
and it was non-stop entertainment.

Easily the best Super-hero film of the year so far (I have yet to see Wonder Woman though).
Holland I think nails both Spider-Man and Peter Parker, and there was plenty of both all through out the movie. I also feel that The Vulture was pretty good. Kinda scary, developed and clearly motivated.

With all the well timed humor and intense action, I think this just might make most people's top of the MCU list (if not also Spider-man movie list and possibly even Top Superhero Movie list).
Thor: Ragnarok got it's work cut out for it if it's gonna be the funnest and most entertaining superhero movie of the year.
While Guardians was good... Spidey was Great.
There was lots of MCU integration, but the main story itself was pretty self contained.
Oh and definitely stay for the post credit scene. well worth the wait. LOL

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
I loved Spidaman.  Great film.  Really liked how they worked Spidey's Civil War appearance into the first part of the film.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: July 08, 2017, 04:52:24 AM »
Post credit scene was indeed amazing.  Perfectly executed and fits the theme established through the movie.

Oh, and love the tease towards the end.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: July 08, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »
that final regular movie scene right before the credits was LOL

The Bodega convo was pretty funny too "How's your aunt...." "How's your daughter"

Zendaya was pretty funny with the "sarcastic" tone of her character speculations were true,
 and they really managed to down dress her for that magical butterfly from the cocoon "she's all that" moment in the later sequels

Michael Keaton was great. His character was menacing, and methodical, motivated and smart. His interactions with both Spidey and Parker were great. But Parker's reactions to him were hilarious. LMAO that whole scene from the moment he opened the door, till the moment he got out of the car was amazing.. and let me just add that the Vulture Wing Suit was pretty fucking dope. Marvel fucking nailed bringing that character to the Big Screen. Can't wait to see who's next.

Tom Holland has absolutely embraced the role and character of both Peter Parker and Spider-Man.
His interactions and reactions to everyone were great. He made this movie really enjoyable to watch.

Tony Stark/Iron Man didn't overtake the movie. This was most definitely a Spider-Man movie, and IM was hardly in it. It was well written to integrate SM into the larger MCU in a way that makes sense.

And having given the movie a day to sink in, this is easily Top Tier MCU if not Top of the stack.
Marvel Studios hit it out of the pack, and it would be a damn shame is Sony doesn't just sit back and allow Marvel to continue to rake it in for them and have access to everything they need to continue to make SM the best damn SM series possible. or hopefully Disney just buys Sony Pictures and end this issue w/ SM licensing once and for all (Sony was rumored to be entertaining the idea of selling the movie division, which holds the SM rights... since SM is the only franchise they have that makes money).

Summary: Fun movie for everyone. Best of the MCU. Best Spider-Man movie. Highly recommended for anyone that enjoys action, superhero and/or coming of age movies.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:55:19 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: July 08, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
I would rather Disney bought Fox if there was a studio for them to go after.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: July 09, 2017, 02:50:20 AM »
Fox isn't in a position to possibly need to sell though.

and why buy Fox? to get the X-Men rights back?
Fox doesn't own the Fantastic Four license, if that was the reason.

With Sony, we can strip Spider-Man and whatever other properties Disney may find interesting, and then sell the rest off. And Sony Pictures has actually been on the fence of actually wanting and needing to be sold, so it's more of a possibility than just a pipe dream.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: July 10, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
I know it is more of a pipe dream, but I just feel there would be a lot more potential with a Fox deal, even if its not happening.

And who owns F4 then? I thought Fox published the last three F4 films?
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5584 on: July 10, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »
Fox does still have the FF rights.  There has been rumors that Marvel got them back, however.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:02 AM »
But no one wants a FF movie, they have uniformly sucked.

I rather see a new Blade movie skipping the origin story. I have no idea who to cast as Wesley Snipes was just perfect for the role.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: July 11, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
There are folks (myself included) who want a good Fantastic Four movie.  The addition of bringing Reed Richards and the Thing into the MCU is exciting to no ends.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5587 on: July 11, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
Doesn't Blade have a daughter in the comics?  Couldn't a movie be made about her?  Maybe with Snipes even reprising his role.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: July 11, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
And who owns F4 then? I thought Fox published the last three F4 films?

Constantin Films has the F4 rights, but they have some deal with Fox to actually make the movies.
They are some German investment group, and I think they also own the Resident Evil license for movies as well.
They have reportedly been having some sort of shake-up where they might be in a position to sell or be bought out. I'm sure both Disney and Fox are watching closely.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: July 11, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
There are folks (myself included) who want a good Fantastic Four movie.  The addition of bringing Reed Richards and the Thing into the MCU is exciting to no ends.

We already got a good Fantastic 4 film. It's called "The Incredibles." :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: July 11, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »

And Dr Doom is one of the more fun villains after Red Skull, and the MCU really needs some new and more engaging villains.
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: July 12, 2017, 08:26:38 AM »
I need any of them, literally any except Loki, to appear more than once.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5592 on: July 12, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »
Finally saw Spider-Man Homecoming.

Oh, boy. This film. Where to even begin?  I loved all of it.  I really enjoyed that Peter was a high school kid who was constantly in over his head, but determined.  This is also one of the first superhero movies, to me at least, that pulled off the "try harder" trope found in so many Superman movies.  There wasn't a prolonged fight scene in a public area where Spider-Man didn't have his mask on. The romance didn't drag the movie with the hero revealing himself or having the love interest be in direct danger (she does get saved, but it's not from a villain).  The movie seems to side-step every opportunity to not be terrible.  But enough judging this movie on what it's not.  It's very funny.  It also sprinkles in a lot of references to the comics and to potential future films without beating you over the head with them.  The villain is well developed, but you've heard about this already.

9.5/10

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: July 17, 2017, 11:39:42 PM »
War for the Planet of the Apes - 8.5/10
It's a really sad movie. It's also really good. Go see it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: July 27, 2017, 09:43:08 PM »
I watched A Cure for Wellness

beautiful scenery and camera work in this film, but it goes on too long and is all over the place. Still enjoyed because I'm a sucker for the isolated asylum kind of movies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: August 01, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »
Dunkirk is dark depressing, grey, very tense and impressively well made. While the events of the movie don't really have much traction with people outside of Western Europe, at the end (mainly because of the Hanz Zimmer score), i let out a big sigh that it was over.

Definitely not a standard summer movie, but still a great experience all the same.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: August 06, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »
I recently listened to a podcast that talked about the upcoming (terrible) Jumanji reboot, and that reminded me that I never got around to seeing Zathura, the spiritual successor/clone of Jumanji.

Well, I have now and...wow, that was bad, alternating between boring, annoying, & lame. Nothing about this movie works, although Kristin Stewart puts forth her best performance as an inanimate, frozen person. It's easily the most expressive she's ever been.

There's just a sense of dread & adventure to Jumanji that's completely absent here. There's no LIFE to it and no stakes once the players read the instructions, where it TELLS them that finishing the game will reverse everything. Ugh...
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: August 10, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
I finally watched Wonder Woman the other day, and not that I was surprised, but I liked it.
Best DCEU movie so far.

The only real negative that happens to be pretty consistent throughout the movie for me was the jarring CG and slo-mo. They really need to ditch this Zach Snyder visual flare that has plagued practically all of his movies since 300. The real issue w/ the CG is that it just looks so fake.... like the movie turned into a video game for a spit instance. Especially that whip... wow, that just looked terrible, and then the end battle...

But other than all that, the movie was pretty good. I can see why WW is not becoming the face of the DCEU (other than the fact that she has the best movie so far....), and I look forward to a sequel. But what this doesn't do is make me look forward to JL. I know Joss took over, but until I see more, the ZS patented visual flare is a real turn off for me, and the only thing I can really knock WW for.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: August 10, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
I still think it was kinda meh. Good, but not great. I think it actually had the same problems as Power Rangers - good character development, but dumb action scenes.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5599 on: August 10, 2017, 11:17:09 PM »
I got see an advance screening of The Hitman's Bodyguard.

If you're worried the best jokes are in the trailer, don't be.  The jokes that are in the trailer are funnier with the comedic timing and context, and there's also more jokes to enjoy.  I had some problems with some of the lighting in quite a few shots.  It gets pretty distracting at times.  The dynamic between the mains is absolutely priceless.  The action scenes are all very fun to watch.  The intro takes a moment to get going and the ending drags a smidge, but the the rest of the film is pretty well paced.  The plot is pretty simple, so don't expect any deep story telling.  If you expect quips, violence, and the more than occasional "motherfucker", you'll like it.  Also, Samuel L Jackson's opening line made me laugh very hard.

7.5/10