Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553243 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4900 on: November 23, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »
Batman Suicide Squad: Assault on Arkham

Batman was barely in this movie, but I guess they were trying to sell it on name recognition (surprise surprise). 85% of this was Deadshot and the Suicide Squad. Not terrible, but nowhere near DC's best.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: November 23, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
How any villain with any self respect can call themselves Captain Boomerang boggles the mind.  I had to actually google him to see if this character was for real. 

And now he is in Arrow....*sigh*

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: November 23, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
How any villain with any self respect can call themselves Captain Boomerang boggles the mind.  I had to actually google him to see if this character was for real. 

And now he is in Arrow....*sigh*

and in 2 weeks, on The Flash as well (Arrow vs The Flash crossover).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: December 18, 2014, 03:16:02 AM »
I finally got around to watching The Wind Rises, and it's easily the most boring & most passion-less film I've seen all year. To top it off, the film features performances (apparently on both the English & Japanese language tracks) so quiet and emotionless that that it feels less like a film and more like the animators decided to draw 2 hours of Disney Animatronics re-enacting the Hall of Presidents. Typically, biopics exist to reveal insights into famous historical figures in order to give the audience an idea of the people behind the great moments of our time, but this movie doesn't care about the people in this story, just that an airplane got made eventually. And apparently the writers knew how boring the script of their biopic was, because they decided to throw in a completely fictional turberculosis-stricken wife to serve no other purpose than to die.

I'm not a fan of Miyazaki (outside Porco Rosso & Kiki's Delivery Service), but even by his low standards this movie's a complete flop.  At least the animation's nice to look at, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:09:37 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: December 18, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »
That sounds pretty horrific for a Miyazaki film. Although I have always felt peak Miyazaki was back around Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service and Laupta(Crazy good music). Nausicaa is ok, but is so heavy handed and the world so shizo with its technology it breaks the movie. Spirited Away looks fantasitic but felt pretty nonsensical and forgettable outside of a couple elements.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: December 18, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
That sounds pretty horrific for a Miyazaki film. Although I have always felt peak Miyazaki was back around Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service and Laupta(Crazy good music). Nausicaa is ok, but is so heavy handed and the world so shizo with its technology it breaks the movie. Spirited Away looks fantasitic but felt pretty nonsensical and forgettable outside of a couple elements.

Mononoke?

But yeah, the best Ghibli movies aren't even the ones that Miyazaki directed. Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday, and pretty much every Takahata film are superior to every film Miyazaki ever did.

Oh, and the movie isn't as bad as broodwars says it is. It isn't the best, but he tends to exaggerate these sorts of things.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: December 18, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
I thought Nausicaa would have been great with just a bit more character development, especially between the two villains.

And ObbyDent's right. My favorite Miyazaki film isn't even a Miyazaki film as I originally thought. It's a Takahata film. And that movie is Pom Poko. I thought Miyazaki finally nailed his "humans are assholes to ecology" bit, but it turns out it was Takahata.

I guess my favorite film that Miyazaki directed is Howl's Moving Castle. I am still not sure what happens storywise, but I just find it so damn creative and funny. The english dub is fantastic, especially Billy Crystal as Howl's heart. It's very well done. But again, I have no idea why anything happens in that movie.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: December 18, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
Oh, man. Pom Poko is such a fantastic movie. Incredibly beautiful in almost every way and incredibly heartbreaking at the same time. It was interesting to see the slow decline and fall of the tanookis over a few decades.

I find it to be a shame that Takahata never had the cult following that Miyazaki has. Hell, most of my friends who I'd consider to be knowledgeable about anime don't know who Takahata even is. All they care about are three movies: Totoro, Spirited Away, and either Howl's or Mononoke.

Is my hipster showing yet?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: December 18, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »
I didn't really like Howl's Moving Castle. I'm partial to Kiki's Delivery Service though Kirsten Dunst's shrill, wounded harpy voice nearly wrecks an otherwise pretty stellar dub.

Whisper of the Heart is probably my favorite Studio Ghibli film even though that ending is rushed and far worse than the rest of the film.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: December 20, 2014, 11:54:44 PM »
I haven't seen many Studio Ghibli movies myself. Of the ones I have seen, here's how I personally rank them.

1. Grave of the Fireflies
2. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (I know it isn't technically Ghibli but often considered to be.)
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. From Up on Poppy Hill
5. The Wind Rises
6. Howl's Moving Castle
7. Princess Monokoke

I've actually just borrowed Spirited Away so I'll see that sometime from now. Grave of the Fireflies is the first Ghibli film I've watched and I guess all others I've seen have been compared to it and yet it still holds my number one spot. I saw Nausicaa a few months ago and was really impressed with it. Judging by my list, it would seem I'd like the older Ghibli movies more than the newer but I'll slowly give them all a shot.

I think the strongest thing about Ghibli movies however is the music. Even when watching one I think is a bit of a stinker, I'm still impressed by the music.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: December 21, 2014, 12:53:37 AM »
However, it's time to talk about the best movie of 2014. (Keep in mind I've yet to see Boyhood, Under the Skin, The Imitation Game and a few other highly praised movies.)

That film is Whiplash.

Go see it. Even if it is playing a town 10 hours from where you live. Plan a trip and go see it. It will be worth the drive and you'll want to have the 10 hours coming back to mull it all over.

Why are you still reading this? Unless you've already seen this movie, you should be heading out to see it right now.

2014 has been a year of much movie disappointment for me. There's been a lot of crap released. Even films I'd hoped might be good or others seem to really like, such as Edge of Tomorrow and Interstellar, have been disappointments. Let's just say that at the moment, Dumb and Dumber To would actually be one of my top 10 movies so far and even that I recognize is a movie that could have used a bit more work.

Regardless, even if I had liked those movies more, Whiplash would still have blown them out of the water. It sounds like a pretty basic premise of a drummer trying to prove his skill and the sadistic music teacher that only accepts perfection and the clash between them. But it plays this story out masterfully.

When the movie was over, I was left in a state of stunned awe. I left the theater dazed and replaying so much of it in my head. Starting my car, I realized that I was sort of catching my breath and just beginning to relax. That's when I realized just how intense of an experience this movie was. This movie is intense. It sucks you into this world and doesn't let go. You feel the pressure and stress that is going on and all the ups and downs as things go good and go bad. Perhaps, too, the fact there is so much drumming go on which affects the tempo of the soundtrack and music playing and is often done at a high rate of speed is another reason as to why my heart was pounding so fast. Whatever it was, that whole combination worked for me.

J.K. Simmons is the front runner for the Best Supporting Oscar (despite the fact Oscar nominations haven't even been made) from a lot of sources and has already won some awards and gotten other nominations for his work in this film. Personally, I think calling him a supporting actor would be like calling Mozart a supporting character in Amadeus. To me, he is a main actor. That isn't to say Miles Teller who plays the lead does poorly. He is also exceptional. It's just that J.K. Simmons character is a force in this movie. Like a good villain, you understand his motivations and you can admire and despise him in various situations. It is great work.

One thing that was unexpected for me going into the movie was that it would be a more jazzy soundtrack. My problem with jazz is that as much as I want to like it, so much of it is rather boring. What I mean by that is when I hear a good jazz song or music, it really sinks into your soul. You can just really dig it and it is the greatest sound on Earth. Unfortunately, that isn't the vast majority of jazz music. Compared to that feeling, a lot of it comes off rather plain or a bit boring and repetitive. So, with a movie about achieving greatness in music, the soundtrack reflects it and I was digging the music in this right from the beginning opening credits and on to the Whiplash song, Fletcher's piano piece and the Caravan number. This is what I think of when I think jazz.

In the end, Whiplash is a movie that reinvigorates a person about movies and cinema. It represents the amazing things that can still be achieved on screen and is a great example of how to properly use the medium. It is a movie that stayed with me all evening and then was right there with me when I woke up the next day. It's all I wanted to talk about. I had to search out other reviews and forums just to get some more discussion and thoughts on it.

It currently sits as the 4th best movie of 2014 on Rotten Tomatoes rankings (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/?year=2014) with 96% approval both by critics and by audience members. Thus, there is a very good chance you will like it too. I went into the movie knowing next to nothing about it aside from the small story description I gave earlier and knew it was highly reviewed. I hadn't even seen a trailer for it. Thus, I don't want to get into too many specifics in an effort to let others see this movie with that same mindset of unknown potential.

The other big thing I can do to ensure enjoyment is to tell you to go see it already. I saw it two weeks ago and my enthusiasm for it has not diminished unlike a lot of other films this year. If you see this movie, you won't care about whether Marvel or Sony make Spiderman movies in the future or whether pulling The Interview was a good idea because Sony Pictures was smart enough to distribute this film. All you'll be thinking about after is why can't more movies be this good.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:57:20 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: December 21, 2014, 01:14:04 AM »
Did... did you just copy and paste that from somewhere else?

2014 has been a pretty meh year for movies. Can't even be bothered to look for a movie of the year. It hasn't helped by poor marketing overexposing movies most people don't give a flying **** about(Looking at you fucking Hobbit movies). Or that a movie I was looking forward to watching (John Wick) didn't even come out here.

Better luck next year I guess.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: December 21, 2014, 03:08:05 AM »
Did... did you just copy and paste that from somewhere else?

2014 has been a pretty meh year for movies. Can't even be bothered to look for a movie of the year. It hasn't helped by poor marketing overexposing movies most people don't give a flying **** about(Looking at you fucking Hobbit movies). Or that a movie I was looking forward to watching (John Wick) didn't even come out here.

Better luck next year I guess.

No. Is there another site where someone said something similar?

It has most definitely been a meh year for movies which is disappointing since the past 3 years have had a lot of great movies. I've wanted to see John Wick also but since it has been released in my area, I keep putting it off to see other movies like Nightcrawler, Interstellar, Whiplash, etc. I'll probably go see The Theory of Everything this week instead of it as well unless I decide to gamble that theatres will keep playing Theory of Everything for another week and check out Wick instead. Plus, Foxcatcher is now playing in a theatre this week so the clock is ticking now on how long that will be shown. I wish there was a way to know how long a theatre was going to show a film so it was easier to know which would be around for awhile and which would be limited.

As for poor marketing, keep in mind that Transformers 4 is the worldwide box office leader at over $1 billion dollars. Maleficent, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Rio 2 are all in the top 13 worldwide box office leaders and The Hobbit will most likely be up there also. Sadly, people still want to see those movies. Although maybe I'm part of the problem as I'll go to The Hobbit 3. I actually did enjoy the Desolation of Smaug for the most part but I don't have high hopes for the third movie. My favorite part of The Hobbit book was the confrontation of Bilbo and Smaug amongst the treasure and I quite enjoyed that part in the movie as well. I was always eager to see the second film because of that. But now the Smaug part is mostly over and I can not remember anything about the ending of the Hobbit after Smaug dies so I have no idea what's coming except it will probably be long.

« Reply #4913 on: December 26, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
This: http://thespiderslair.com/?p=478

It was not as good as I remembered it.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: December 26, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
The Interview

A damn fun movie that makes fun and mocks the **** out of everything. It starts from the first scene and it doesn't stop till the credits. It somehow just keeps escalating.

« Reply #4915 on: December 27, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »
The Interview

A damn fun movie that makes fun and mocks the **** out of everything. It starts from the first scene and it doesn't stop till the credits. It somehow just keeps escalating.

I was going to see it but they didn't have it on Playstation. which is odd they released it on Xbox but not Playstation I was disappointed I don't have a way of seeing it at the moment. I will have to wait for Netflix or iTunes to balls up I guess.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: December 31, 2014, 03:39:17 PM »
LUCY?

Anyone wanna try and explain just what the hell I watched? If I take drugs I become God?  Huh?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: December 31, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
LUCY?

Anyone wanna try and explain just what the hell I watched? If I take drugs I become God?  Huh?

They left off the post credit scene where she wakes up strapped to a hospital bed because it was all a drug induced nightmare coma.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: December 31, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »
The Drop

This movie reminded me of Breaking Bad; not for the plot, but because of the intense conversations. It's incredible. The amount of anxiety this movie was able to build with just a few characters and scenes is incredible. The last 20 minutes or so is wrought with tension, so intense that even the smallest, most mundane actions are disturbing. And I have to mention the well written antagonist. They're unpredictable. I never knew what they were going to do next, and it freaked me out. They were just so unlike myself, or any of the other characters, yet so firmly placed in reality that it was actually pretty frightening.

The payoff for all the tension is a wonderful climax that doesn't let you down. By the end of the movie, you'll wonder what you just watched and want to watch it again. It's that good. And other than a few scenes that I think went just a tad too long and disrupted the otherwise brilliant pacing, this movie is a perfect.

9.5/10
black fairy tales are better at sports

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: December 31, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
LUCY?

They left off the post credit scene where she wakes up strapped to a hospital bed because it was all a drug induced nightmare coma.

I was hoping for something like that. I thought Morgan Freeman was running a simulation within a program but NO they ended the movie in the worst possible way I could never imagine.  I mean an omnipotent Flash-drive? I've been a shitty writer for 15years and I liked Superman Returns better than Man of Steel. I know thats crazy but not as crazy as matter-transfering time travel because of drugs. If I saw this in the movies, I'd a walked out and threw fruit at the side of the building.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4920 on: December 31, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »
Lucy

No it wasn't an omnipotent flash drive. It contained fundamental knowledge of the universe and the path to follow Lucy to ascension. The knowledge is also gated so that the massive amount of knowledge wouldn't lead to the human race to blow itself up with it.

The drug is suppose to be some sort of energizer like coke. Lucy ODed on it but happen to win the genetic lottery ana become increasingly super human.

The other ending would have been worse as they are "It was all a dream ending" which is beyond lazy and gutless. It would have sucked hard.

It is a Luc Besson film. The guy is almost a trope. Leon, Taken, Fifth Element, Transporter series.

Has a strong female protagonist that is as strong if not stronger than a male? Check so much. The science is mostly nonsense but is justified and consistent in-universe? Check. Cool non-shake cam sequences(This alone make Lucy better than most films)? Check. Lots of style? Check. Has foreign or outright alien language? Check. Doesn't feature America? Double check.

If this movie pisses you off then I am really surprised there isn't rioting outside Transformers showings.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: December 31, 2014, 11:04:21 PM »
If this movie pisses you off then I am really surprised there isn't rioting outside Transformers showings.
That's actually just a travesty.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: January 01, 2015, 10:46:45 AM »
I 'd watch Transformers 1 (Bay's best film)  any day of the week before I set eyes on Lucy again.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: January 01, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »
If Bay ever had a good film it would be The Rock. Maybe the Bad boys series because they are fucking cartoons. Transformers series is a rolling garbage pit.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: January 01, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
Bay indeed has some stinkers in the Transformers series, but the first one still has that perfect mix of comedy and action that he is good at.  The Rock, Armageddon Bad Boys and Transformers can be in his top tier.