Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553324 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4750 on: June 01, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
I finally sat down and watched First Class and then went to go see DoFP.

Not Horrible/10.

I had avoided First Class since X3 was so bad and it didn't seem like First Class got very good review, but my friend wanted to go see DoFP, so I broke down and rented First Class on Amazon.  It was entertaining.

DoFP was okay as well.  I'd say they're both renters though.  DoFP really annoyed me with the whole Where the heck did this entire 'send someone's conscious back in time' power that Kitty Pryde had come from?  Ugh.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: June 01, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »
Listed in order watched.

A Million Ways to Die in the West - funny, but not Great.
Starts off life a big budget play, or a Mel Brooks "Blazing Saddle" wanna be movie. A lot of the jokes were in the trailer, but not all of them, and Charlize Theron is gorgeous in this movie. Lots of laughs to be had, but some of them were a little too try hard. POst Credit 1 & 2 were a nice laugh, but not worth sitting through the whole credits for, so I'll just spoil it for you here Django shows up and shoots the shooting gallery guy... and then after the credits ask "Where da white women at!?"  the 2nd scene was literally 2 seconds long. Don't wait for it. I already told you what it is. now you can move on. you're welcome

X-Men: DOFP - pretty good but not Great. A good effort at rebooting w/o rebooting abs attempting to tie everything together even though it's obvious that that wasn't the original intention of all the movies. There was a some tense moments, and Quicksilver scene was pretty good, but you can tell it was tacked on as he should have been handy in the rest of the script as well.... but he was added in after the script was written. And damn did that post-credits scene at the end look rushed. The cg was terribad, looked like a gamecube cut scene.

Godzilla - Better than Xmen in my opinion. Not nearly as much monster action as I was hoping for, but the action we got was solid. And just when I was wondering if Godzilla was gonna be able to do something from the old movies, BAM there it was. I enjoyed this one. Probably tied to be my favorite movie of the day with....

Neighbors - I missed the first 5-10 minutes, but this movie was consistently funny. Young Stifler was & Efron were both good in this. Rogen and his leading lady were also pretty good. I could see a straight to DVD sequel happening in a new neighborhood with the same fraternity (different neighbors).

Overall a good day. No duds, even if AMWTDITW was not quite as funny as I hoped and a little too much in the trailers. & DOFP wasn't all it was hyped up to be. I also feel there may still be some continuity loose ends that need tying up, but I couldn't be 100% sure w/o a series rewatch... and that ain't happening. I guess I can just check the internet, I've been avoiding spoilers online for a week now, and I'm also curious which cast is moving forward... Past, Present or both.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:00:56 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: June 01, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »
I saw Maleficent (I have kids). Enjoyable movie, Angelina Jolie did a great job, but no one else did. There are also way too many scenes where it's just her walking into a room or area slowly...we get it...she's Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty. Now, I'm not that concerned with "Disney Princess Cannon" but this movie makes a complete mockery of Sleeping Beauty. It's a more interesting story, but it *completely* ruins the original movie in every way imaginable. Now, all of the old Disney Princess movies come from books (I mean, they actually open with someone opening a book), so in a way it still works because the old movie is just the telling of a story, and not presented as an accurate account, so in that sense it doesn't ruin anything...I'm getting way too into this. It seems like a ton of stuff was cut from it, but it was pretty fun to watch.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »
I almost stayed for that movie too, but 4 movies already had my butt hurting.
Although the theater I went to had really comfortable leather stadium seats that rock with armrest you can put up or down. It's very nice, but 4 movies in a row is already a lot. 3 is usually the perfect lineup, but I'm glad we stayed for Neighbors because it rounded out a better end half at the movies.

« Reply #4754 on: June 01, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
Anyways I don't think I will even try giving it another shot it clearly looks like it was made for todays youth audience which is not me.

If you don't mind me asking, as it's not in your profile, how old are you?
I think the average age of the active posters here are around 30+yrs old (children of the 80's).

Well I mention this in my dropping out of school thread and elswhere but I am 31. Also unlike a lot of people here, I don't have kids so there is little incentive for me to watch kids/family films.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:28:38 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4755 on: June 01, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »
See, I didn't like Neighbors. It was kind of the same joke for two hours.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: June 02, 2014, 01:26:22 AM »
I forgot to mention that one of the oversights of DOFP I think is that they introduced several new characters, but I don't think they ever actually introduced them. They were just there and doing their thing.

Still a solid entry in the X-Men saga for trying to salvage the cluster **** of prequels into an ongoing storyline. Also the highest grossing X-Men movie WW so far, thanks to the international market.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: June 02, 2014, 02:50:50 AM »
Or you could just read the source material which is probably better than both the movie and that Stargate episode.

All you need is Kill is the source book for Edge of Tomorrow but has nothing to do with Stargate - but in terms of watching something that is centred around time loops that episode is better.

I forgot to mention that one of the oversights of DOFP I think is that they introduced several new characters, but I don't think they ever actually introduced them. They were just there and doing their thing.

Still a solid entry in the X-Men saga for trying to salvage the cluster **** of prequels into an ongoing storyline. Also the highest grossing X-Men movie WW so far, thanks to the international market.

Bishop just turns up. One of my favourite characters from the 1990s cartoon just turned into THAT.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: June 02, 2014, 03:06:23 AM »
The Devil's Backbone -- from what I understand, this is del Toro's first "big" film. It was billed as a horror movie, but it's not really that at all. It's about orphans in a middle-of-nowhere boarding school (or something) and there's a mean dude who wants to steal some supposedly hidden gold? It's not super-clear. The "horror" angle comes from a ghost who appears to one of the kids every now and then, but none of the creepy horror elements from other del Toro elements show up here.

Also takes place during, or shortly after, the Spanish Civil War, which is also when Pan's Labyrinth is set.

I didn't really like it, mainly because it was slow-moving and I didn't get what I was promised.

Yeah, Devil's backbone is weird. I also didn't like it, but one friend really enjoyed it for some reason. Not even sure why.
That armed bomb sitting right in the school yard is kinda neat as a symbol.
From what i remember there is a another movie set in this "spanish trilogy" which stars Ron Perlman (Chrono or something), i should watch it sometime.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:09:01 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: June 02, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »

On one hand, I'm okay with that.  We're supposed to believe that mutants are *everywhere* and that it's a whole world of people... Every movie has folks who come in-and-out of the plot without any real introduction or background.

On the other hand... this sounds like the set up for Batman v Superman...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #4760 on: June 02, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
I made the mistake of watching Nostalgia Critic old vs new Spider Man before seeing Amazing 2 so now I am not even sure I want to see it. I still prefer the original but I stop at 2, 3 was just awful.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: June 03, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »
I saw The Devil's Backbone in about 2003. I always liked the movie, really atmospheric. Its one of those "I've wound up in a pretty bad place" movies. I like the effects for the ghost. The abusive guy is pretty terrifying.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:40:33 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

« Reply #4762 on: June 03, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »
Just watched Star Trek Into Darkness on Netflix.

The last one was better. This was a total mess of a movie, if this didn't carry the name Star Trek and all the baggage that franchise brings with it, this movie would have totally sucked as a stand alone. Also this movie was just too much fan service with all the little nods that make no sense in the reboot universe. The action was too over the top but that is typical in todays sci-fi blockbusters so I can kind of forgive that. The acting was good for the most part, a little forced in some areas but that might be more the bad script than anything. The entire movie felt way to frigging rushed especially towards the end but damn even the beginning was rushed. The special effects were mostly pretty good, considering the source material that was to be expected. The cameos were just out of place this time around, and I won't ruing it for anyone who hasn't seen it but the villains were cheap. I avoided reviews of the movie because I didn't want any spoilers.

Now for the good, or what I did like, well the ending mostly how they tied it into the original series, there were a few moments that truly felt like Star Trek but for the most part this is an abomination that they slapped Star Trek name on just to draw in an audience. It wasn't totally bad, not Search for Spock bad, but it was not super good either. Overall I rate it a 3.5 out of 5.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: June 04, 2014, 03:30:30 AM »
The Search for Spock was relatively brilliant next to Into Darkness. Truly dire ST movies are the Final Frontier, Generations and Insurrection. JJ is fun in really short bursts, but the man can't write a coherent plot to save his life. He is like the Micheal Bay of Plot.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: June 04, 2014, 05:12:16 AM »
JJ Abrams is a lot better suited to the franchise he's doing now than Star Trek. Also, The Motion Picture was just as bad as the ones you mentioned, oohhboy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:42 AM »
I did say dire. Motion picture was pretty bad in a long drawn out boring way, but I wouldn't consider it dire. But if you chose to lump it in the same category, there isn't much keeping it above that bar.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: June 04, 2014, 05:34:16 AM »
Yeah, if you were to cut about 40 minutes of shots of the Enterprise slowly moving through V'Ger that movie would be a lot less terrible.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #4767 on: June 04, 2014, 08:09:50 AM »
So it's not his fault then its the Star Trek curse right? Plus I actually like Michael Bay so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: June 04, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »
He was just a bad choice to make a Star Trek movie, or at least a Star Trek movie that was true to the spirit of the series. He made the movie he set out to make, that the studio wanted him to make, it's just not a good fit as Star Trek.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
Finally saw Star Trek: I Want to be as Good as Wrath of Khan.

I felt like I was watching a movie of a games Cutscenes strung together.  I kept feeling like there was something I wanted to play but these Cutscenes kept popping up.

I can't say it's a good movie because of that.  The Marvel thread we're talking team to build up and I think these movies lose something by not having the TV Series to help build these relationships.  All these character really feel generic this time.
Instead of retyping I'll just quote this for my view of the movie.

This just doesn't really work like how most of the Next Generation Movies just don't work.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: June 04, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
That's how JJ works. Look back to some of his other work like Mission Impossible, same thing, a bunch of action scenes strung together. You want him to help influence an action scene, never to write anything.

Alias was a complete mess of a show plot wise, but each episode was "small" enough that as stand alone it sort of works. No effort was expended on any sort of long term coherency. The characters never changed the whole time the show ran, that was the only consistant thing about it. If he needed a character to get out of something he would always pull something out of thin air, make it look cool but completely unfeasible, then completely forget about it.

He never should have gotten as big as he has.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: June 04, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
Big action scenes strung together with pretty poor writing. Man, he really was the perfect choice to replace George Lucas.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: June 04, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
It's going to look soooo cool until you stick a brain cell to it, then poof!. It's all gone, replaced by endless retardation. Agreed, a perfect GL replacement.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: June 04, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »
He never should have gotten as big as he has.

But then we wouldn't have got the shows (under his production studio, also the best ones) that had absolutely nothing to do with him: Almost Human, Fringe, and Person of Interest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: June 04, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.