Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553162 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4425 on: October 20, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »
This is true.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: October 20, 2013, 09:07:13 AM »
Escape Plan - I only watched this to see Jim Caviezel and i got exactly what i wanted.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: October 20, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
Sabotuer - One of Hitchcock's earlier films, centers around a man falsely accused of being a sabotuer at a airplane factory during World War 2. Has a clever tense scene involving using a car to break a pair of handcuffs.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: October 20, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
Sabotuer - watched it in a film class years ago. It's a really good movie. If you want to pay close attention to the movie...pay attention to the fire extinguisher....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4429 on: October 20, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
Captain Phillips - I really enjoyed Tom Hanks' accent for some reason. The movie itself is actually great. The pirates actually make interesting characters. Watching the scenes play out of the Pirates boarding the ship and trying to take control are pretty thrilling, even if the trailer spoils what happens. The US Navy shows up, and they're pretty badass. Only gripe is that the movie starts out on land, and the camera is already shaky. The extra shaky cam on top of what I was expecting with the ocean made me a little motion sick (though, I was partially hung over at the time of viewing)

8.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: October 21, 2013, 12:26:24 AM »
Sabotuer - One of Hitchcock's earlier films, centers around a man falsely accused of being a sabotuer at a airplane factory during World War 2. Has a clever tense scene involving using a car to break a pair of handcuffs.
Oh man, what a great film. I remember watching a lot Hitchcock movies a year ago and getting my mind blown at how great they all were (well except Vertigo probably).

Even his old black and white stuff still gives most latest Hollywood movies run for their money. It helps that his movies basically codified lots if not the majority of today's movie genres: spy movies, serial killer flicks, thrillers and so on.

They're still trying to ape him by remaking one of his movies every two years or so.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: October 21, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »
The Fifth Estate
8.9/10
I don't care how much of it is "true" or not, this is a terrific film. Truly engrossing, mainly as character study. The two main characters are beautifully acted, their relationship and actions utterly convincing and it all takes place against a very interesting story. Pacing is mostly good, maybe a bit sluggish in one or two spots. But definitely worth your time.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: October 21, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
Oh man, what a great film. I remember watching a lot Hitchcock movies a year ago and getting my mind blown at how great they all were (well except Vertigo probably).

Even his old black and white stuff still gives most latest Hollywood movies run for their money. It helps that his movies basically codified lots if not the majority of today's movie genres: spy movies, serial killer flicks, thrillers and so on.

They're still trying to ape him by remaking one of his movies every two years or so.
I use to read Hitchcock's short stories and books of his movies some in Elementary School.  I really enjoyed those but, the movies themselves I never got really into.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: October 21, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

Really? I find Vertigo an awesome experience. It's so different. I showed it to a friend of mine and he said it felt as though he were watching a book in that it was the same experience as reading a novel but he was watching it instead.

I think the biggest thing is Bernard Herrmann's score. It's such a hypnotic melody of great sadness and longing. Without it, than I think the movie is probably a disaster. Although, considering the movie Obsession, maybe not. But that music just puts you in a trance for what unfolds. And when it swells up at the end of the movie after James Stewart has recreated Judy into Madeline and she enters the hotel room and they embrace with the camera whirling around them, utter perfection. It's a movie that always leaves me feeling very blue after it is over.

Interestingly enough, years later, Brian De Palma made a movie called Obsession, with the sort of same idea of a man who loses a woman he loves and years later finds someone else who looks just like her. He had even stated it was made because of his love of Vertigo. He actually got Bernard Herrmann to score the movie. It was the last great hurrah of his career and the score was nominated for an Acadamy Award after he died. Despite having that plus to the movie, the rest of it just doesn't compare to Vertigo. If you've seen Vertigo, then you sort of suspect right away what you think is going on and the movie doesn't seem to be trying to hide it at all. But then, nothing happens for a long time. And so I began to think that maybe this movie would be Vertigo but without the twist. A different examination of the theme of just trying to reduplicate a past love in one's life. Unfortunately, the movie does have a bit of the Vertigo solution although with its own twist that is frankly, so wrong, which is a shame because the first hour and 10 minutes were actually ok but it just shoots itself in the foot in those last 20 minutes. And then it seemed like it might go for the really tragic ending as which might have kind of bouyed my opinion back up but it went for the happy ending of which I did not feel happy about.

In the end, I still can't help but feel it is an ok and interesting enough movie to see. To me, it's Herrmann's show because once again, his score works so well with the dreamy, sort of etheral images on the screen and it's his score that carries the movie but man, it's just such a shame that movie stumbles so much at the end.

After seeing Obsession, it just further illustrates how well Hitchcock knew his craft. Even a movie like Marnie which has so many things about it that seem-outdated or just goofy (like Sean Connery playing the son of a wealthy American family despite his clearly scotish accent) you just gloss over those things because of how compelling and enjoyable he makes the picture.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:13:59 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: October 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PM »
I'm watching Scream. Randy is the best. (I wonder what happened to Jaime Kennedy). Next up Scream 2 and than Cabin in the Woods
[size=78%] [/size]
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: October 25, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
I need to rewatch Vertigo. I remember enjoying the movie when it first came out. I didn't know that was a Hitchcock film. Most of his films I've seen were not all that impressive. Did I just get the bad ones? What hare considered his best films?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: October 25, 2013, 07:00:01 PM »
Well, the short list of great Hitchcock films would be: Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho and The Birds are regarded as his top five works. At least I'm pretty sure. Also, highly regarded and I think worth a viewing: Notorious, Dial M for Murder, Rebecca, Strangers on a Train and The Wrong Man. Pretty solid viewing list right there. The other good movies but with this list, you've pretty much seen the masterworks.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: October 26, 2013, 01:01:55 AM »
I've yet to see all his movies, but Frenzy is my favotrite one so far. It's kinda like Columbo episode where serial killer is the main character for the most of the film. And i realy liked how that movie changed moods from funny to gruesome to extremely tense and then back to funny.

I also really liked Rope. Amazing technical achievement - entire movie made in 3 (i think) shots, and it becomes just as tense as any other thriller even if all characters do is just sit and talk.

The Boat is also really good. Again mostly just theater play like talks. I must have i thing for enclosed settings.

Unfortunately most of his movies got remade (sometimes even more than once) and shamefully i've spoiled quite a few of them for me by watching inferior modern remakes first.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »
Those are a lot of movies I have never heard of before. Psycho is the only other one I have seen. Have to check them out some time.
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: October 26, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
Ender's Game - i became bored pretty quickly with this. The first reason was i went in knowing Gavin Hood (who directed Xmen Origins Wolverine) also directed this. Then in the movie itself i wasn't seeing any particular reason, except in the zero gravity battle arena, why he should advance to a higher rank. And so quickly.

Where The Hunger Games carries the tension of kids literally fighting each other to survive, this felt like kids doing the work of adults except it sidestepped the mental toll it would take on any of them to do a task like this at a young age. Then it brushes off going Ender killing off an entire species (as well as the other human ships he abandoned in the process) at a very quick pace, just to finish the story and set up the next movie.

I'm sure the books would have explored the moral aspects more, but the movie spent far too long in the training exercises and didn't look at the human cost anywhere nearly enough

I realised about half way through i'm watching a movie of a person who is essentially playing strategy games. And that is not really fun when you think about it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:33:51 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4440 on: October 26, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
Watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with my wife. I knew this movie was long but it definitely could have used a trimming. But despite some pacing issues most of the songs were very fun and memorable. My wife thought it was a very fun and humorous film as she had never seen it before. It was intended for children but all the actors seem so into their work you can't help but appreciate all the effort. Dick Van Dyke was hilarious as he usually is and everyone gave a great performance. You just don't see such total passion and commitment to craft in many modern non-Disney/Dreamworks family productions.

Also watched Thor. My wife was interested in watching Avengers and I advised that we watch the movies leading up to it so we started with Thor since it is back on Netflix. I enjoyed it much more this second time and my wife enjoyed it as well. She especially enjoyed the humor and how it blended history with sci-fi.

Any suggestions on the order of watching the Marvel movies? Is it worth it to watch the Hulk film despite the change in actors?
My Game Collection

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: October 27, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
The order to watch them are

Captain America
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Hulk
Thor
Avengers

Its worth it watching hulk since its still in contunity and the film is based upon an ever changing medum with different interpretations of charcaters.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: October 27, 2013, 12:16:27 AM »
Make sure you watch The Incredible Hulk, not just Hulk.  The movie called "Hulk" isn't part of the Avengers storyline and... well... it's not horrible.  You *could* watch it.  Just don't get them confused. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: October 27, 2013, 01:16:12 AM »
You mean the Edward Norton Hulk, right?
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: October 27, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »
Yes, watch the Edward Norton movie, not the Eric Bana movie.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: October 27, 2013, 05:33:17 AM »
technically, isn't the Incredible Hulk a spiritual sequel that more or less picks up where Hulk left off?

Not that I'm saying he should watch Hulk (it's kinda dull and Hulk doesn't show up till almost half the movie is over) but doesn't the events in Norton Hulk happen after the Bana Hulk? as in it's not exactly a reboot, just doesn't directly reference the movie before it even though it just carries on like a sequel.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: October 27, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
its interesting watching the parallel characters for hulk and the incredible hulk. I have trouble staying up during hulk. Skipping through it there are some cool scenes. Never watched it all the way through though.

I find Warriors awesome, but its probably just me. I dug everything about that movie. I've been told by people its both great and not that great, so i guess its one of those movies with a pretty solid split.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: October 27, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
Bana's Hulk tells the origin story of the Hulk.

Norton's Hulk re-tells the origin story of the Hulk in the first few minutes of the movie, but tells it in flashbacks and cutscenes.

If you were to remove the first part of Norton's Hulk, then there probably wouldn't be much that would conflict with Bana's movie, but the way that they tell the origin in Norton's is completely different than Bana's entire movie.

It's my understanding that Norton's movie was supposed to be a direct sequel to Bana's, but somewhere along the line, they decided they wanted to make some changes, so they just decided to reboot the franchise instead of calling it a sequel.  I don't really follow the behind-the-scenes much, so someone can correct me on this.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: October 27, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »
I remember reading that at the time the Incredible Hulk movie was made they weren't sure that the MCU was even going to be a thing and as a parachute the production decided to film the movie in such a way that it didn't contradict the first film, but it didn't try to reference it explicitly. The Stark and Shield logos were thew in as references.

But Now I think the first Hulk movie is out of continuity with the Avengers. In the original film Bruce has already mutated DNA and the gamma radiation turns him into the hulk by accident. In the new Origin they take from the Ultimates where Banner hits himself with gamma radation trying to recreate the super solider serum.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: October 27, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
I wouldn't call it Bana's movie, it's not his fault it sucks, it's Ang Lee's fault. The comic book transitions were pretty rad, but it was way too long, and the Hulk-cloud crap at the end was simply retarded. This came out at the same time as Terminator 3, and I heard someone say that they should have swapped directors, which probably would have made both movies better. Now that I think about it, Hulk was just a terrible, horrible movie. It's really bad, especially thinking back about it, with the dogs, and somehow Hulk could like hide behind trees. Really bad. The Incredible Hulk was great.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA