Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553204 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4325 on: July 29, 2013, 12:19:27 AM »
To be fair, you didn't clarify that you were talking specifically about movie rights, so someone had to correct you lest we allow the misinformation to spread.

So much this.

What was said was in no way correct.  FOX doesn't "own" the X-Men and FOX doesn't "own" the film rights to the X-Men.  They currently hold the theatrical film license for the franchise - although they may currently hold the complete live-action rights altogether.  I know the live-action television rights for Spider-Man are back in Marvel/Disney's control (last I recall reading on it, at least).

Which means Spider-Man *could* appear in the SHIELD TV series.  In theory.  Not sure if X-Men is held by FOX for live-action.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
Saw Epic This weekend.  It was pretty good.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: July 30, 2013, 11:55:21 PM »
So I'm 38 minutes into Sharknado (XBMC is amazing), and somehow it's both better and far, far worse than I imagined it would have been.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:03 AM »
Yep, that's the worst thing I've ever seen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: July 31, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »
So I'm 38 minutes into Sharknado (XBMC is amazing), and somehow it's both better and far, far worse than I imagined it would have been.
Yep, that's the worst thing I've ever seen.

I've had it on my computer waiting to be MFT'd should I decide to resurrect that thread.
Just saving it for a bored saturday or sunday night.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »
I watched Monsters University yesterday with my sister. While certainly not as well-realised as the original, just being able to spend more time with Mike and Sully again (this time before they became life long friends) made this film worth watching for me. There are some good gags, the visuals are top notch and the casting (Helen Mirren and Nathan Fillion were cool additions) is great.

The soundtrack in spots sounded a little too much like Toy Story for my liking, but otherwise it was a very enjoyable film.
Gouge away.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:13 AM »
I should be seeing The Heat and Red 2 this week.

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: July 31, 2013, 07:18:42 AM »
Pacific Rim - 10/10

I'm a huge mecha fan, and Pacific Rim delivered on everything I hoped it would. It had plenty of over-the-top Jaeger on Kaiju action; there were several subtle references to other mecha series, such as Mazinger Z and Armored Trooper Votoms; and, the characters were fairly likable, especially Ron Perlman as Hannibal Chow.

I went in to the theater hyped and came out hyped to see it again. I've already seen it twice, and I can't wait for it to come to Blu-ray.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: August 01, 2013, 02:40:35 AM »
Saw Wolverine two days ago, didn't post cause i forgot -- that's how meh this movie was.

When you have stupid plot movie at least has to deliver some action. Apart from train fight there wasn't any.

Mid-credits scene with Picard and Gandalf was the best thing from the movie.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:34 AM »
The Wolverine was awesome, you're out of your mind. Not the best super hero movie ever made, but definitely better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine or X-Men 3. The train fight scene was simply awesome, but I thought the whole movie was quite enjoyable. I liked the post-credits scene too, if anyone is confused by it (I don't think you are), then they probably never watched the post-credits scene from X-Men 3 (after ALL of the credits). A lot of people don't even realize that it had one...probably could have used spoiler tags though.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: August 04, 2013, 01:44:59 AM »
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Wow.  This awesome movie, featuring Flash Gordon, is amazing.  I haven't read the comics it's based off of (although I did just watch the Justice League DCAU episodes that feature a somewhat similar concept, but totally different *everything* else).

Time and time again, Warner Bros. knows how to make a great animated DC movie.

It's not perfect, and there are a few issues with the storyline (like, what was really the point of the entire Superman subplot.  Oh, and Barry, you probably shouldn't call him "Clark"... why the heck would he have that name in this timeline?), but seeing Cyborg kick some ass again (FYI: Justice League: DOOM is awesome as well) was a plus.  The Batman reveal was handled nicely... The hinting of The Joker lit up every happy part of my brain...  second/third tier heroes and villains making minor cameo appearances was spiffy (although the Kaldur'ahm version of Aqualad made me sad for no Young Justice).

Overall, fun movie.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: August 04, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Wow.  This awesome movie, featuring Flash Gordon, is amazing.  I haven't read the comics it's based off of (although I did just watch the Justice League DCAU episodes that feature a somewhat similar concept, but totally different *everything* else).

Time and time again, Warner Bros. knows how to make a great animated DC movie.

It's a damn shame they won't let the animation guys anywhere near the hollywood movie guys.
They could probably do something really special. I'm very reserved on excitement for the Man of Steel 2/Sups vs Bats seeing as they don't really seem to have a forward moving goal that has been planned out ahead of time.

And I recently watched Return of the Dark Knight, and i enjoyed pt1 more than pt 2, but damn, old Bats was savage in this one. Using that "Old Man Strength" to stay in the game, wasn't sure he would make it to the end. Pretty good movie overall though.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: August 04, 2013, 02:10:25 AM »
Yeah, I haven't watched Dark Knight yet.  I need to - it's one I'm waiting to catch on sale though.  I PM'd Flashpoint at Best Buy with Amazon's $13.99 - I really, really wanted to watch it.

I get the impression that the only idea that they have for Man of Steel 2 is Superman vs. Batman.  Beyond that, I don't really think they have much of a game plan.  "Fans want it, let's make it happen."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: August 04, 2013, 03:35:58 AM »
It does kinda seem that they are trying to get to the Avengers money in as few movies as possible.

They are rushing their play because Marvel has successfully done what WB & DC could have done with a full catalog had they just decided to get their **** together and take the risk.

Of course Green Lantern bombed hard (But RR should have been too busy with Deadpool anyway)
Wonder Woman has been in limbo for over a decade complete with a cancelled pilot for TV
The Flash hasn't been mentioned since his early 90's TV show (lasted almost 1 season I think) and is getting a new show launched off of Arrow on CW (not sure if this means TV Green Arrow and TV Flash will tie in to the Sups/Bats JL movie)
Superman & Batman are the only go to's in the DC catalog, and I guess it will take them both to setup enough crazy to bring in the rest of the Justice League.
Just not sure how well it's gonna work.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: August 04, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
The Heat - Nothing special about it. It dragged in places. Soon as it loosened up about 30 minutes from the end it improved.

Red 2 - Helen Mirren with a sniper rifle. That's all i ever wanted. Can we have Ian Mckellen with grenades for Red 3 please?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4340 on: August 04, 2013, 08:14:03 PM »
Pacific Rim - 10/10 (IMAX 3D)

Man, this movie was good. There's a lot of cheese, but it's whatever. You're getting everything you asked for out of this movie. Giant robots punch giant monsters, and the plot carries it. Characters are good too. All the while it just feels like a movie that couldn't have been made before now.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:19 PM »
it really couldn't have, atleast not in a way that would have looked anywhere near as good as it did.

It's doing really good overseas right now ($45Mill opening in China this weekend) and has yet to open in Japan, Brazil & Spain, so here's to hoping for that sequel to get greenlighted soon.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: August 04, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
I want this movie to do well and I be interested in a sequel during the jumps they made in the movie.  I would not be interested in one after the fact.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4343 on: August 04, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
I would so much rather someone just start making the Gundam franchise in to a series of movies, starting from the beginning.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4344 on: August 10, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »
The Wolverine. Wow, I never thought a movie starring Wolverine could be so BAD. It's beyond boring, and the few "action" scenes are brief and not that good. Let's just pretend this crap never happened.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4345 on: August 10, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »
I think I gave it a 7 on twitter. Thinking about it now, it probably deserves a 6, but I'll stick to the 7 I gave it. I liked The Wolverine but mostly because it avoided things that made the last Wolverine movie terrible. It was weird how they avoided the word "Mutant" until the end of the film. I'll disagree about the action scenes being boring. They weren't that violent, but they were interesting, for the most part.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: August 10, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »
The Wolverine. Wow, I never thought a movie starring Wolverine could be so BAD. It's beyond boring, and the few "action" scenes are brief and not that good. Let's just pretend this crap never happened.

Obviously you haven't seen Xmen Origins: Wolverine.

The Wolverine was fine. It wasn't great, but it was good enough for what it was.
Considering how poorly Fox treated the last wolverine movie, I'm surprised it turned out as good as it did.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4347 on: August 10, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
At most I would consider it a "meh" movie, the kind I would say MAYBE watch if it's playing on TV and you have nothing else to do.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: August 10, 2013, 11:26:22 PM »
Elysium

It's a good sci-fi movie. Too bad it's made by director whose previous movie was absolutely mindblowing and literally life-changing.

It retreads the plot and even setting of District 9 but lacks something that made D9 so amazing. Even if main character of D9 was uberjerk in the beginning you still found yourself rooting for him by the end. It was a wonderful journey for the character. Damon can't evoke even the echo of that feeling.

Action scenes in Elysium were good and gory just like in D9, but shaky camera i think wasted some of them.

It's still a good movie, but a kind disappointing after D9.

Still, i LOVE how sci-fi movies are making a full on comeback these last years. Even if you exclude superhero genre, we still had lots good-to-great sci-fi movies: Source Code, Pacific Rim, Platen of the Apes, Oblivion. And there will be more: Gravity, Interstellar.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: August 11, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »
The fact that Wolverine says "****" in The Wolverine automatically adds 1-2 points to whatever score you plan on giving it, though he said it in the first one too...