Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553249 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4025 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
Just enjoy it like a B movie from Mystery Science Theater.  You could just play the Genesis game which is much better.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:56 PM »
I reckon they should rename Django Unchained to Django Off Da Chain!

Really?

I hope that sounded funnier in your head.

I'd like to see you come up with a better comment that conveys my enjoyment of the movie that is also a pun on the movie title, mate. That's A-Grade quality!

I also thought the "Australians" were pretty hilarious as well.

:confused;

Weird. I thought that was the weakest part of the film.

Those scenes with Django in transit to the mine didn't really go anywhere, and needlessly dragged the film beyond what would have (IMO) been a far more natural conclusion (the death of Candy and Shultz, and the amazing bloodbath that followed). Admittedly, when he does return to the estate it's from a position of power (which I assume was the point) but nothing much has really changed other than the fact that they weren't expecting him. I can't help but feel that there must have been a more adroit way to have written that ending.

There's also the fact that those scenes with Australians include one of the worst cameos I've ever seen. It was excruciating to watch him try to act and do an accent at that same time, lol. Truely terrible.

It doesn't really matter though, because the rest of that film is so well made.

I didn't really enjoy that part. I liked when Tarantino got blown up, but the rest was pretty cringe worthy. I also doubt that Australians would have an accent that thick after being settled by the British only 70 years prior to when the film was set. It is pretty cool that the other Australian was Jon Jarrett, who is the star of Wolf Creek. Tarantino has said that Wolf Creek was his favourite horror film of the 25 years, and has claimed that Jon Jarrett is his favourite Australian actor. It was a bit of a pleasant surprise to see him.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:09:55 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: February 06, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
When i read the script i didn't know Tarantino would be one of the Australians, that being said that made it all the more funny. The scene was kinda goofy and weak. Theres a similar scene in Army of Darkness that holds up a lot more.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: February 06, 2013, 04:50:12 PM »
... What scene in ARMY OF DARKNESS?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: February 06, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
where the knights are dragging ash in bondage, thats about all the similarity though.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »
Well, that's also the opening of the film as opposed to the end. Way different stakes going on.

I had no problem with the Australian scene in DJANGO. Sure it was goofy, but there's lots of goofy stuff in that movie.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: February 07, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »
So i watched Zero Dark 30. The film's relentless focus by focussing on Maya (and her quest) alone for me nearly ruined it, mainly as it didn't answer other questions that stuck up during those 10 years.

What else did she sacrifice?
She has no friends because she's trying to find him, or because she can't make friends because of her personality? Does she want to be distracted? Has she tried?
Do her family know where she is? Has she tried to keep in contact?
Was the tears in the final shot to say "i dont know where to go now?"

Also, stick a camera on the shoulder of one of the children on the third floor and film it shaky-cam/24-style as they all cower and hide from the military blowing stuff up downstairs, while we see split-screen what the military does. That would have racked the tension up higher.

I found the character opportunities far more interesting than the actual main plot.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
She has no friends because she's trying to find
him, or because she can't make friends because of her personality? Does she want
to be distracted? Has she tried?
Do her family know where she is? Has she
tried to keep in contact?

I'm not sure those questions really fall within the remit of what the film was trying to accomplish. I do, however, feel that enough of Chastin's character (in particular her obsession) was shown for the audience to infer what her social and family life would have been like. On another level, you might even argue that friends and family were simply not important to her character during this period of her life, and that's reflected by the absence of both throughout the film.

I can only speak for myself, but those weren't the primary questions that this film left me with. I was far more intrigued by the machinations within the CIA and the justifications the various characters employed to justify their actions. It was absolutely fascinating.

This was the real question for me. You can check out my impressions of the film a few pages back, but I took those tears to mean two things. Firstly, it was an outpouring of relief. Secondly, it was the final realisation of what she had done in pursuit of her aim. She had performed some atrocious acts throughout the film (torture being foremost, but let's not forget that she was also the person pushing most forcefully for the compound to be bombed despite the presence of children), and her crying at the end was more a question to the audience. Is the termination of one evil person a justifiable reason to suspend our own codes of conduct or morals? In pursuit of fighting evil, do we ourselves become evil?

It's not a question that the film answers, but rather one that the film poses.

As you can probably tell, I thought this film was exceptional.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:57:25 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: February 07, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »
She has no friends because she's trying to find
him, or because she can't make friends because of her personality? Does she want
to be distracted? Has she tried?
Do her family know where she is? Has she
tried to keep in contact?

I'm not sure those questions really fall within the remit of what the film was trying to accomplish. I do, however, feel that enough of Chastin's character (in particular her obsession) was shown for the audience to infer what her social and family life would have been like. On another level, you might even argue that friends and family were simply not important to her character during this period of her life, and that's reflected by the absence of both throughout the film.

I can only speak for myself, but those weren't the primary questions that this film left me with. I was far more intrigued by the machinations within the CIA and the justifications the various characters employed to justify their actions. It was absolutely fascinating.

This was the real question for me. You can check out my impressions of the film a few pages back, but I took those tears to mean two things. Firstly, it was an outpouring of relief. Secondly, it was the final realisation of what she had done in pursuit of her aim. She had performed some atrocious acts throughout the film (torture being foremost, but let's not forget that she was also the person pushing most forcefully for the compound to be bombed despite the presence of children), and her crying at the end was more a question to the audience. Is the termination of one evil person a justifiable reason to suspend our own codes of conduct or morals? In pursuit of fighting evil, do we ourselves become evil?

It's not a question that the film answers, but rather one that the film poses.

As you can probably tell, I thought this film was exceptional.

Maybe it's me. I preferred when the film began to look at her damage to her personal life that quest did. It only literally fluttered at it for a moment about half way in and only began to hit home when she wrote 100 DAYS!!!! on the window. Then it disappeared again.

The personal toll of quests like this is something that will live with HER indefinitely (remember she basically sacrificed her entire 20s to do this) even if her quest had benefits for the country/countries over the world.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: February 08, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
did you miss this scene?
Nope.
1) He was angry cause you know, Joker kidnapped his gf
2) His coin is double sided -- so even when he's angry, he's still in control.
3) He's standing right beside a guy dressed in latex with little cute ears on his head, who just beat that guy (or broke something in him, don't remember), and HE is the one with the dark side?

Dent doesnt know batmans there. H'es just scaring the **** out of a schizo with his hand gun and batman shows up and is all like "hey maybe if someone saw you do this **** it would look bad, cus you know this is mel gibson type ****"
District attourney's usually arent that crazy. He's still in control, but he's still being extreme. Also at that point Joker has not kidnapped Rachel yet. He supposedly shot Gordon, but thats no excuse to pull mel gibson stuff.

and by mel gibson stuff i mean the crazy rants with his ex wives and the police..not this

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2499150105/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:38:12 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: February 08, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »
and by mel gibson stuff i mean the crazy rants with his ex wives and the police..not this

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2499150105/
That's awesome. It's Mel Gibson's feel-good Twoface movie.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: February 09, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
What all those other Batman movies were leading up to...

I'm about to watch The Dark Knight Returns (pt 1) for the first time!

edit: Ok so it just ended, and my first impression is WOW. My second impression is "okay, I need to go order this and pt 2 on amazon right now"

The animation was great except that once scene at the start where bruce is in that race and the vehicles just didn't move that fluidly. That's just me being nitpicky though, and I probably shouldn't of even brought it up :P I just want my opinion of it to be fair.

Also, I don't normally like the giant hulking steroid-looking Batman design (not just in this, in other versions as well) but I must say for the amount of brutality displayed in this film, this style did fit much better than the more scaled down version of Batman that I prefer. Oh same sort of disappointment turned to joy happened with Batman's voice. I grew up more on Batman: TAS than the comics or films, so Kevin Conroy will always be THE batman vocally; however Peter Weller's voice grew on me by the end of the film, especially when I read the name in the credits and after 10 minutes of thinking really hard realized why I know the name and voice of Peter Weller; IT WAS FUCKING ROBOCOP THE WHOLE TIME! haha I think it made the brutality that much more enjoyable because now I can picture some strange crossover where elderly batman refuses to retire and becomes robobatman, with peter weller's voice (naturally).

Overall, 10/10 will watch again :D

edit 2: BOOOoo I thought part 2 was out already :( I wanted to buy it noowwwwwww
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:59:33 AM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: February 09, 2013, 01:15:48 PM »
Starship Troopers: Invasion. The graphics are decent but the animation feels like claymation a lot. I'm not big into it. The story is bad as well, but that's to be expected. Lots of scenes of four space marines standing in a line firing and alien bugs.
I hope the animation in Captain Harlock ends up being a lot better.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4038 on: February 09, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Part 2 is out now. I have it.

These were amazing in their dedication to portraying the original series panel for panel.

Joker's voice actor was all wrong for him. But then only Mark Hamill will ever do.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: February 09, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
The Dark Knight Returns adaptation was very faithful and transfered the comic to animation letter to letter.

That's why it's a bad animated movie.

The original book is just Frank Miller screaming at everyone who he thinks are everything that is wrong with the world. In this book he outrightly claims that liberals, feminists or whatever are worse than rapists and murderers. Most of the book (and the movie) is a tv footage with talking heads who are strawmen for Miller to make shots at. I don't even care about politics but it still annoys me -- that's how clumsily and in your face it's executed.

Faithful adaptations like these basically use original comic book almost as storyboards, basically the only thing they add is music. DKR pt.1 had awesome sounding 80s electronic music -- easily the best part of both movies (pt.2 lost it for some reason).

DKR pt. 1-2 is one of the very few movies from DC Animated i didn't buy. Just get "Wonder Woman" or "Under the Red Hood" if you insist on your Batman. Even "Year One" will do, cause it's another faithful adaptation but of a good book for change.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:46 PM »
Part 2 is out now. I have it.

These were amazing in their dedication to portraying the original series panel for panel.

Joker's voice actor was all wrong for him. But then only Mark Hamill will ever do.

I went to amazon and the bluray is listed as pre-order only..

Just get "Wonder Woman" or "Under the Red Hood" if you insist on your Batman. Even "Year One" will do, cause it's another faithful adaptation but of a good book for change.

The reason I started this batman movie kick was because I was sick on my weekend off of work and started making a  dent in my netflix queue starting with Batman: Year One and immediately followed by Under the Red Hood.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: February 10, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
Yeah, I haven't seen the DKR movies, but faithful adaptations of those stories sounds horrendously unappealing. I've been lukewarm on DC's animated movie effort of late, though. I think All-Star Superman is the last one I actually liked.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4042 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »
Lots of movies lately.

FLIGHT

Great movie, but not happy by any means. Not really about the plane crash--that's just what frames the larger story of one man's struggle with alcoholism. Kelly Reilly, who played Watson's fiance in those gawdawful Sherlock Holmes movies, is a similarly-addled drug addict here. I definitely recommend seeing it.

THE DINOSAUR PROJECT

One of the worst movies I've had the displeasure of seeing. No, seriously. And there's only one kind of dinosaur in the entire movie. Giganotosaurus-sized waste of time. Found-camera movies are not my bag anyway, but the promise of dinosaurs lured me in. Don't fall for it!

HERE COMES THE BOOM

Surprisingly hilarious and touching. I watch UFC fights with some regularity, so it was interesting seeing Paul Blart get into a fight with an actual UFC fighter towards the end. Salma Hayek was a bonus, too. She's my "get out of marriage free" card, so anything with her is gold. But even without her, it would be a great movie. Kevin James is really growing on me as a comedic actor.

ATLANTIS (the Disney movie)

At the behest of former staffer Pedro Hernandez, I gave this movie a shot. It was good, and not at all what you'd expect from a Disney film. There's no singing (huge plus), very different art direction (supposedly inspired by Mike Mignola's style) (which isn't clear at all), and a great hodgepodge of voice actors including Michael J. Fox, Spock, and Jim Varney in his final role. There's a bizarre turn toward the 2/3rds mark that...doesn't make a lot of sense, but whatever. I wish some more time had been spent on the few interesting vertebrates that barely make an appearance. The tiger-thing looked cool.

SPAWN (1997)

Caught the last half on TV. Holy crap, people. Remember when we thought this movie looked GOOD? Go back and rewatch it, seriously. The battle scene in Hell is ABYSMAL. The movie's only redeeming quality is John Leguizamo as Clown, chewing scenery in every shot he's in. Violator was cool in 1997, but looks terrible now. Like most of the film. I do wonder why it never got a sequel, though. I remember it doing well at the box office.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: February 11, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
FLIGHT

Great movie, but not happy by any means. Not really about the plane crash
Yeah i also went into it thinking it was boomtastic disaster movie.
It's actually very similar to "Cast away" starts with plane crash and two hours after that is all about the hero, who is almost alone with his own problems (of course there are redhaired girl, his friend and Don Cheadle but you get the point).
Also i don't get it how if he really wanted to come clean in the end why he only admitted alcoholism and not drug abuse. Makes the ending kinda hypocritical.

ATLANTIS (the Disney movie)
Great movie. One of the first uses cell shaded CGI i saw in feature movies. They blended it with hand-drawn animation flawlessly.

SPAWN (1997)

Caught the last half on TV. Holy crap, people. Remember when we thought this movie looked GOOD?
Haha, yes. I remember how description on the back of VHS box talked up how they used special effects technology by Silicon Graphics for that as a major point.

Go back and rewatch it, seriously.
 The battle scene in Hell is ABYSMAL.
Nah, it always looked abysmal. There is a moment in Hell when Spawn is thrown away and flies right through few floating platforms. Even back then, as a teenager i could tell how bad that looked. It's like they took one Spawn sprite and dragged him through those platforms in Flash.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:17:46 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: February 12, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »
FLIGHT

Great movie, but not happy by any means. Not really about the plane crash
Yeah i also went into it thinking it was boomtastic disaster movie.
It's actually very similar to "Cast away" starts with plane crash and two hours after that is all about the hero, who is almost alone with his own problems (of course there are redhaired girl, his friend and Don Cheadle but you get the point).
Also i don't get it how if he really wanted to come clean in the end why he only admitted alcoholism and not drug abuse. Makes the ending kinda hypocritical.
Because the cocaine really didn't impair him. The alcohol sure did, but not the drugs.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #4045 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »
I never liked the Spawn movie or thought it looked good, though the soundtrack is kickass.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: February 12, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
I never liked the Spawn movie or thought it looked good, though the soundtrack is kickass.
QFT. I saw it in 7th grade and it was something a 7th grader would like, but it hasn't aged well. I would rather watch Black Dynamite. Todd Macfarlane has talked about directing his own version, and judging by his toys if he used mostly practical effects it would be awesome.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: February 13, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
I just watched Spawn the other night as well. Thankfully it was the Director's Cut, so it wasn't quite as terrible as it could have been. Still, it wasn't the film that I remembered it being. Just about every line spoken was cringe worthy, with John Leguizamo being the only redeeming (violating?) quality. None of the effects really hold up at all, but the actual Spawn suit still looked nasty and cool.

I need to dig out the old animated series that HBO ran instead.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
Kirk Hammet and DJ Orbital's "Satan" is pretty awesome, even if it's only two guitar riffs.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: February 16, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
Batman: The Movie (1966)

Batman to Robin: "Our job is done. Let's leave inconspicuously.. Through the window, we'll use our Batropes."

I guess going through the door while world leaders are arguing and seem to have no recollection that they were recently dehydrated into tiny piles of pixie dust would be too conspicuous, for Batman & Robin that is.