Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553205 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3675 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:08 AM »
Jesus DIES.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: December 06, 2012, 03:17:30 AM »
There is no Tyler Durden.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3677 on: December 06, 2012, 10:45:03 AM »
It was Earth all along.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: December 06, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
Jesus DIES.

BUT THEN HE COMES BACK OMG

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »
Only in the movies and books.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
I shot J.R.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: December 07, 2012, 12:16:57 AM »
Watched Rise of the Guardians last night.

Tad childish, but everything else make up for it. Sandman was awesome. Character designs were amazing.

Recommended if you can get past slightly sappy story.

Worse than "How to train your Dragon" but better than "Kung Fu Panda" (not that it is an achievement of any kind).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: December 07, 2012, 12:32:42 AM »
Kung Fu Panda was freaking brilliant, don't even kid yourself.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: December 07, 2012, 12:37:56 AM »
Don't work and don't study, kids, be your usual fat slobs and you will succeed over other actually hard working people: the movie.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: December 07, 2012, 12:47:51 AM »
I thought it showed that working in your strengths allowed you could overcome great odds.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: December 07, 2012, 02:01:17 AM »
Don't work and don't study, kids, be your usual fat slobs and you will succeed over other actually hard working people: the movie.
I mean, that's the Hero's Journey. Luke is destined to bring balance to the Force, Harry is the Boy Who Lived, Aang is the Avatar, etc. It's all the same thing. None of these characters earned their lofty designations through hard work. They were "chosen," or born into it, for whatever reason. I would argue that Po does put forth a lot of effort in his training once he is chosen. He just had to figure out the HOW of his abilities to reach his potential, which is a good lesson for kids. And c'mon, that chopstick fight scene is awesome.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: December 07, 2012, 02:13:23 AM »

Stratos is right. And in any case, who cares about a message to the kids? The action was great, the animation was top-notch, I thought it was hilarious, with a likable cast... do you seriously hate the movie because your interpretation is a cynical one?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: December 07, 2012, 02:58:13 AM »
I actually think I liked the second film as much as, if not more than, the first one. Pleasantly surprised with  how it came out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3690 on: December 07, 2012, 08:42:22 AM »
Pixar vs Dreamworks vs Sony Animation vs Blue Sky (Fox Animation)...

FIGHT!
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: December 07, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »
I also loved the second film, but that whole "inner peace" thing got a little heavy handed near the end. And I wish the villain had been a better fighter on his own like Tai Lung was.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3692 on: December 07, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
I mean, that's the Hero's Journey. Luke is destined to bring balance to the Force, Harry is the Boy Who Lived, Aang is the Avatar, etc. It's all the same thing. None of these characters earned their lofty designations through hard work. They were "chosen," or born into it, for whatever reason. I would argue that Po does put forth a lot of effort in his training once he is chosen. He just had to figure out the HOW of his abilities to reach his potential, which is a good lesson for kids. And c'mon, that chopstick fight scene is awesome.

Bullshit.

Luke has to learn to use the Force, and doesn't defeat the emperor without help from Vader. He ultimately balances the Force by swaying Vader emotionally and getting him to throw Palpatine down a hole or w/e.

Ang can't fulfill his destiny without first mastering all four elements, which he goes through a lot of hardships to do. Sure, the bending masters who teach him just fall in to his lap, but he still struggles with each one. Growing and changing as a person along with his fighting style.

And Harry Potter had to go to class? I dunno. Not the biggest HP fan.

/nerd rage

Side note: I liked Kung-Fu Panda.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: December 07, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
His name is Aang.

/nerdrage

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
His name is Aang.

/nerdrage
No, his name is Ong.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3695 on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
His name is "Typo."

And let's not mention how shitty that movie was.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3696 on: December 12, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »
I loved both Kung Fu Panda movies. The first one edges out the sequel, just because Tao Lung is such an awesome villain.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: December 12, 2012, 03:07:12 AM »
Stratos is right. And in any case, who cares about a message to the kids? The action was great, the animation was top-notch, I thought it was hilarious, with a likable cast... do you seriously hate the movie because your interpretation is a cynical one?
I just want to finish this up, because i will start to sound like waaay overthinking crazy person raging over a kids movie, but ah well...

It's not only about the message for kids, it's about message for me. Yes, production values were good, but for me it was all undone by shitty main character made worse by plot bending to make him win.

The point is there was no progression for MC. He hadn't learned anything new, in fact he didn't even try. Or he did and gave up instantly cause it's "too hard" for him. He just gave up right away and chose not to work on himself, not to broaden his horizons and do the same thing he always did his entire life. Stuff his face.

But "he was himself!" "That his nature!" His nature is to stay the same and always choosing easiest way out? To never learn new skills? To not even try to work on himself? To give up instantly at the face of the lightest challenge? This is not one's nature or character, it's called laziness and stagnation as an individual.

Even the main mcguffin of the movie spells it out by showing empty manuscript, saying: "There is nothing to learn out there for you. Don't even try. You are a perfect magical snowflake and you're fine as it is".

I have major gripes with this kind attitude and seeing it being preached through this movie simply riles me up.

I fully realize it might sound ridiculous for someone and i am VERY far to being overzealous about my beliefs (i actually laugh at those crazy people protesting against disney/hollywood/whatever it is this month), but it's one thing i just can't, i am physically unable to support.

In other news i watched Paranorman. A good puppet animated movie and pretty dark too. The plot is more or less Silent Hill of all things.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »

You probably know this but The Simpsons didn't make that up. Those shirts were hugely popular during that stretch between the Dallas episode where J.R. got shot and the eventual reveal which, I think, was a few months into the next season. I recall they seemed to drag out that storyline for ever.
I remember seeing those shirts all the time on sale at the K-Marts and Jafcos my folks would drag me to as a kid, circa 1980, or '81, I think? We used to go there and I would hang around the electronics department salivating over the latest Commodore 64 or T.I. 99. Good times.

Anyway, saw Skyfall lat night. I liked it. My wife was lukewarm on it.
I will never forgive her for whispering her dead-on comparison to Home Alone during the last battle. Pretty much ruined the entire ending for me. But, gotta give her props: the comparison was spot-on.

Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: December 12, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
It's actually been a pretty interesting season for films this Fall.

In recent weeks I've watched The Master (which was incredible), Killing Them Softly (which was so-so), End of Watch (which was an interesting take on the buddy-cop movie), and more recently Seven Psychopaths (which was fun, but as a huge fan of the McDonagh brothers slightly disappointing).
Gouge away.