Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553291 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3525 on: October 01, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
Wait, how is The Empire Strikes Back not the best in the series?

I dunno. I always liked Return of the Jedi better.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: October 01, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
Well, your opinion is wrong. Empire Strikes Back is the best. Return of the Jedi is a great movie, until the end - especially the newest update with Hayden Christensen's ghost.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3527 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
It was certainly the most exciting (with Luke's whole world going all to ****). But I think it's understood that the revisions only made the movies the worse.
Still though, three great movies out of that original trilogy. About 1 1/2 good movies out of the prequels.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3528 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Meh, I am not a big fan of the original trilogy in their original versions. They are much better with the special effects (not commenting on the other changes, like having Greedo shoot first, just on the actual special effects).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: October 01, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »
I still can't stand any of the movies other than Empire Strikes Back. I blame James Earl Jones for that.

But I did like the cartoon/CG show for a while. It wasn't amazing, but it was a fun watch every once and a while.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: October 02, 2012, 03:17:47 AM »
Meh, I am not a big fan of the original trilogy in their original versions. They are much better with the special effects (not commenting on the other changes, like having Greedo shoot first, just on the actual special effects).

It depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about a general cleaning up like removing the matte boxes from around all the ships in space, fixing the lightsaber colors, stuff like that, yes, that's an improvement. If you're talking about throwing in a bunch of CGI robots/locations/creatures/ships/singers in Jabba's palace/sarlacc pits because hey why not then I vehemently disagree with you. All of that **** sticks out like a sore thumb and ruins the aesthetic of what I think is still a good looking film. I really wish Criterion would storm Skywalker Ranch and take the prints of the original cuts of the original trilogy by force and give them the restoration jobs they deserve.

And EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is the best, but I accept arguments for the original STAR WARS as well. RETURN OF THE JEDI is not the best and anyone who says it is is clouded by nostalgia. **** the prequels.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: October 02, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
Revenge of the Sith was amazing
Attack of the Clones was terrible and overdone
The Phantom Menace was okay

Don't complain about Hayden Christenson's bad acting, because the original trilogy had worse acting (like a majority of movies from the 1970's and early 1980's).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:18:08 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: October 02, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »
You're so funny Tendoboy, I can't stop laughing. Stop hurting me.

Go here and educate yourself as to why the prequels are so bad. I guarantee that the reviews are far, far more entertaining than the movies. It will take you couple hours to watch them all, but you will get some real insights from people who actually know how to make something entertaining on a budget nearing Zero dollars.

GL might have given birth to Star Wars, but he was the one who made it bad.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: October 02, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »
Revenge of the Sith was the closest the prequels got to the original trilogy, in terms of tone, plot, and story progression.

And every single Star Wars movie is filled with bad acting. Lucas can afford big budgets for special effects and sets, but then he has C-list actors starring in his movies for some reason. (I know Samuel L Jackson was in the prequels, but his role was pretty insignificant)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:39:21 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
I'll just say that Ultimate Power Corrupts Ultimately.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3535 on: October 02, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »
ooohboy, Revenge of the Sith was a good movie. For once I actually agree with tendo, his assessment of the prequel movies is spot-on.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: October 02, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »
You must have a very very low opinion of the OT if either of you think ST:RotS was remotely close to it. RotS was the "Closest", but there is a massive difference between that and actually being "Close". The OT and prequals are not remotely close to each other when it comes to quality.

As for the C-list comment. Natalie Portman, Ewin McGreger, Liam Nesson, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and more. All these people can act, they know their craft. That can't be said of Christian Hayden who has continued to show that he is worthless in his chosen profession. Tom Hardy who played Shinzo in the bomb that was Star Trek Nemesis has turned around and proven himself as a high caliber actor.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3537 on: October 02, 2012, 05:54:16 PM »
ROTS was a good movie, period. Not "close", I would rank it as one of the better SW movies (and better than ROTJ).

C-list doesn't refer to quality, just star-power.
Mark Hamill was a nobody before Star Wars, he only had bit appearances in TV shows and a made-for-TV movie. Harrison Ford wasn't a big star before SW either, he was maybe B-list though as his only big role before it was American Graffiti. Carrie Fisher was practically a nobody as her ONLY acting role before SW was a movie called Shampoo (which she was barely in). Natalie Portman had only been in very minor roles before the SW movies, so she was def a c-lister. Liam Neeson is one of the few exceptions, but the majority of SW actors (even the stars) was virtual nobodies/c-listers before being cast.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: October 02, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
I don't like the Ewoks as much as the next person, but to consider RotS better than RotJ is either a joke or insanity. The final confrontation between Luke and Vader alone makes it better than any of the Prequels. RotJ did suffer from Ewoks and having too many concurrent plot threads. But there is a lot of gravity and tension in RotJ that the prequels never have.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: October 02, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
Natalie Portman had only been in very minor roles before the SW movies, so she was def a c-lister.
Before The Phantom Menace, Natalie Portman had already been cast by Luc Besson, Michael Mann, Woody Allen, and Tim Burton. Her film debut as Mathilda in Leon: the Professional was anything but a minor role. She was getting noticed before her turn as Padme. There are only so many quality roles for teenage girls. She would have made it without George Lucas.

Speaking of Leon: the Professional, I really wish the stars would align and whatever differences Besson and Gaumont Film Company have would get resolved and Mathilda: The Professional would be made.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:29:54 PM by Adrock »

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: October 02, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
Good God. REVENGE OF THE SITH is a terrible movie. It is less terrible than ATTACK OF THE CLONES, but it is still ridiculous bullshit. Terrible writing, way too much terrible CGI, and yes, Hayden sucks at acting in both of those movies, as do all of the actors in these movies. No, STAR WARS was never about great, paramount acting but at least the actors in the original trilogy convincingly portrayed human beings. Hayden does not. I'd argue Lucas is more to blame than Hayden, but the point still stands.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3541 on: October 02, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
LOL, what? TrueNerd, you are the ONLY person I have ever seen that thinks ROTS is a terrible movie. It is at least the 3rd best Star Wars movie. Hayden is annoying, but the rest of the movie is really enjoyable. The CGI is good, and the story is interesting.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: October 02, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »
Return of the Jedi has its problems, but to even for a second consider putting any of the prequels ahead of it is insanity. RotJ looks bad compared to the other two in the original trilogy, but RotS is helped immensely by being compared to the absolute garbage that came before it. I would take Ewoks over Hayden Christiansen every time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: October 02, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
Everyone needs to go watch Looper.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: October 02, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Shia Lebouf is too cocky, the plot is mundane and drags on for way too long. And there are too many explosions and overdone slow-motion sequences.

Another movie I saw recently was Super 8. One of the best movies I've seen all year. J J Abrams is the new Spielberg. He seamlessly combines good character development, a tight script, and plenty of action sequences to create movies that are genuinely enjoyable.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:21:31 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3545 on: October 02, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
LOL at the thought Abrams could even be mentioned in the same breath as Spielberg. Abrams sometimes gets lucky.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: October 02, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
LOL at the thought Abrams could even be mentioned in the same breath as Spielberg. Abrams sometimes gets lucky.

Well I would say Peter Jackson is the next Spielberg, but you'd probably disagree again.

I like Abrams' movies. At least he tries to tell a story in his movies. Super 8 was like a mix of The Goonies and Cloverfield.

Steven Spielberg hasn't had a hit summer blockbuster in a long time. He's been surpassed by younger filmmakers, like Joss Whedon.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3547 on: October 02, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
I eventually hated Super 8. The Final Confrontation between Kid and Alien comes down to the Alien not slaughtering the kids because the main kid FEELS BAD BECAUSE HIS MOM DIED? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Bullsh*t.

This is not a spoiler. You know it's coming THE ENTIRE MOVIE.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:43:23 PM by Halbred »
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3548 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »
How does Joss Whedon surpass Speilberg? Speilberg can make action movies, dramas, etc.

Whether you liked the movie or not, 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull made $786 million and that more than qualifies as blockbuster status. Then he didn't direct any movies for 3 years. His last 2 movies came out in November and December of 2011, so they aren't summer anything and his next movie is in November. I should also point out that Spielberg produced Super 8. He was executive producer of Men in Black III, which made $624 million (blockbuster). He was executive producer of Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which made $1.1 BILLION. To say he hasn't had a summer blockbuster in a long time is laughable as he has 2 this year alone.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:42:41 PM by TJ Spyke »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: October 02, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »
Hardly any of those were "his" movies. He didn't direct Transformers or Super 8. He's been more of a producer lately. If Spielberg can DIRECT a new movie that can surpass Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, or Saving Private Ryan (in terms of quality and financial/critical success), then okay.

And Lucas really needs to break out if his Star Wars shell. He should direct more varied movies to diversify his portfolio.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:50:16 PM by tendoboy1984 »