Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553406 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2675 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »
Total Recall is a Paul Verhoeven movie, which means it does all 3 at the same time. You made the mistake of trying to peg it into one category. His best movies don't work like that. The remake will be bollocks. See what happened last time someone remade an Arnold movie.
What was the last time someone tried to remake an Arnold movie?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
Conan the Barbarian?

In both cases though, neither the original film nor the remake were anything close to the great source material.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: September 27, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
Trigun: Badlands Rumble - A few months back, I rewatched (and reviewed) the original Trigun anime TV series and still really liked it, so naturally I picked up the Blu-Ray for the new Trigun movie today.  90 minutes later, I can say that I enjoyed the movie, but there was nothing about it that surprised me.

Honestly, there really isn't much to say about this film.  It's a Shounen Jump-style anime filler movie: it takes place early in the Trigun series, involves several completely new characters, and nothing of consequence occurs in relation to the main series.  There are a few amusing call-backs to the original series (especially in the music) and the U.S. fandom (who this movie was pretty much made for given that the Trigun anime was never popular in Japan like it is in NA); the animation is very good (but not great) as I expect from a Studio Madhouse production; and the action scenes are generally well-done.  I have a major gripe with one of the film's major plot twist, which is something that fans of the TV series will immediately call B.S. on and it's something the film drags on for WAY too long.

As for the Blu-Ray, the transfer is pretty much flawless so no complaints there.  Sadly, Funimation could only get Jonny Yong Bosch to reprise his premier role as Vash in the dub, but the replacement actors they've cast for the other returning characters are high-pedigree veterans.  They even do a pretty good job at mimicking the tone of the original dub actors.  That's why it's all the more baffling that pretty much ALL the extras are related to the original Japanese production, with not even a commentary track with the dub cast.  Chances are, if you care about Trigun at all, you got into the show with the English dub, so why not have something in the extras related to the movie's dub?  I'm never going to watch all these interviews with the Japanese actors, because I will never listen to their performances.

The movie's a fun 90 minutes, but it's ultimately pretty forgettable.  I'm willing to excuse it because we haven't had new Trigun animation in well over a decade, but IMO Studio Madhouse only gets to do a movie like this once.  If they do another movie or a new TV series, it needs to be something actually substantial.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:45:26 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »
The Kids Are Alright: 8/10

Really good movie about two kids birthed through artificial insemination (separately by a lesbian couple) seeking out their shared biological father. The movie is fairly predictable with some things, but unique in its presentation, and development. I liked it.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: September 27, 2011, 10:40:17 PM »
Thor 8.5/10 Exceeded expectations...a lot
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: September 28, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
You must have had rock bottom expectations...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »
yeah, i honestly didn't know what to expect. I like the idea of Thor, but never was into the comics, also from my experiences with Thor he never seemed like he could be a great character, the trailer made it look like some shitty sets in the desert and some golden Asgard. Also, i didnt think Chris Hemsworth looked like Thor, he's a big dude, but doesn't look right to me. However, Chris Hemsworth's interpretation seems like a cooler character than I pictured. Not at all what I had pictured, but such a different take that it was appealing. Also, I saw this movie years ago, it was called Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lungren and Frank Langella, this was however a much better version of that story. Also, the bridges reminded me of that Rainbow bridge the sages in Zelda make to get into Ganon's castle. A couple of things reminded me of Zelda, in a good way. Though, i have to say sitting through a movie in a theater I'm extra harsh on a movie, because it requires my whole attention, however i'm very lenient watching movies at home on DVD.  So, yeah maybe if I watched it at a theater i'd be in a shitty i payed 10 dollars for it mood, but I used a promo code and got it for free in redbox so, yeah.  There was one seen in Yodenheim where it looked like it was on a blue screen, but I can forgive that. Now, my problem is I really want to watch Masters of the Universe. On the other hand I know why im so forgiving on Thor, and thats because I have seen Masters of the Universe. Speaking of Fish our of Water movies, theres another one with these people from the middle ages i wanted to see, but forgot what its called. Which reminds me

12 Monkeys 8.897 out of 10, totally unscientific numbers.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: September 28, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »
Contagion: 5/10

The worst well-acted movie I've ever seen. They tried to be a non-typical epidemic movie by focusing on unusual aspects of the events, but they in turn made a boring movie. 
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: September 28, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
I actually liked that movie. It was great to get a realistic vision of what happens during outbreaks. It was also fascinating how chance could make such a terrible disease.

Also the pacing was fantastic. It went from relatively calm to full on anarchy.

I'd have to give it at least an 8.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: September 28, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »
yeah, i honestly didn't know what to expect. I like the idea of Thor, but never was into the comics, also from my experiences with Thor he never seemed like he could be a great character, the trailer made it look like some shitty sets in the desert and some golden Asgard. Also, i didnt think Chris Hemsworth looked like Thor, he's a big dude, but doesn't look right to me. However, Chris Hemsworth's interpretation seems like a cooler character than I pictured. Not at all what I had pictured, but such a different take that it was appealing. Also, I saw this movie years ago, it was called Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lungren and Frank Langella, this was however a much better version of that story. Also, the bridges reminded me of that Rainbow bridge the sages in Zelda make to get into Ganon's castle. A couple of things reminded me of Zelda, in a good way. Though, i have to say sitting through a movie in a theater I'm extra harsh on a movie, because it requires my whole attention, however i'm very lenient watching movies at home on DVD.  So, yeah maybe if I watched it at a theater i'd be in a shitty i payed 10 dollars for it mood, but I used a promo code and got it for free in redbox so, yeah.  There was one seen in Yodenheim where it looked like it was on a blue screen, but I can forgive that. Now, my problem is I really want to watch Masters of the Universe. On the other hand I know why im so forgiving on Thor, and thats because I have seen Masters of the Universe. Speaking of Fish our of Water movies, theres another one with these people from the middle ages i wanted to see, but forgot what its called. Which reminds me

12 Monkeys 8.897 out of 10, totally unscientific numbers.
lol, The He-Man live action from 1987?  We had a copy of that on Beta-Max that I watched when I was little at one point.  Got to love Fried Chicken.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: September 28, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
Masters of the Universe

Now that should be a MFT movie for sure.
We gotta all get on skype and sync our movies and watch them together.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Masters of the Universe

Now that should be a MFT movie for sure.
We gotta all get on skype and sync our movies and watch them together.
I be game but I have to get it from Netflix I don't have a copy anymore.  Also if you search "Masters of the Universe" on Netflix Courtney Cox shows up.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: September 28, 2011, 12:41:14 PM »
I saw that, but that's because she is the only relevant actor today that was in that movie.
Quote from: Netflix
The supporting cast includes Billy Barty and Courteney Cox in her feature debut.
^I didn't know she was in that movie until I had just re-read the description again right now.

But I also didn't know that they tried to revive He-Man back in 1990, but I do remember when they brought him back in 2002 (vs the Snake Men).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: September 28, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
I've got the newest He-Man cartoon on DVD that my Mom got me by mistake.  Its not bad.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: September 28, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Also even though Master of the Universe isn't a "Horror" movie, you can MFT it next month since it's full of costumes and that should be very Halloween appropriate. So go ahead and drop it onto your Netlfix list.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: September 28, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
I actually liked that movie. It was great to get a realistic vision of what happens during outbreaks. It was also fascinating how chance could make such a terrible disease.

Also the pacing was fantastic. It went from relatively calm to full on anarchy.

I'd have to give it at least an 8.

That total anarchy last for about twenty minutes before they found the vaccine

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
Well yeah, but every part of cycle seemed to last that long.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: October 01, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
Just watched contagion. seemed more educational than entertaining. It was completely predictable and not a surprise at all. No suspense & no climax.

DVD rental at best.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: October 01, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
Just got out of Killer Elite  & Drive.

Just not a very exciting day at the movies for me today.
I wasn't actually looking forward to any of the movies playing, but since it's sorta become a monthly tradition, I went anyway.

Both movies were decent, nothing I'd go to the theater for... I got a little sleepy during Killer Elite, but it had some good moments, and I was trying to take advantage of the empty theater for Drive, but that didn't work out as planned either.

Might hop one more movie in an attempt to see a fourth that doesn't come on for another hour and a half.

edit: 4th movie didn't happen.

Drive is a really slow paced monotone movie with very short burst of action. Ryan Goselin probably only had about 20-30 lines in the whole movie and there are lots of almost awkward silence scenes. Overall it was interesting, but not a theater movie for me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:59:46 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: October 01, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »
Recently (re)watched Escape from L.A., and it was a lot more enjoyable than Escape from New York was.  The biggest differences I see between the two movies is that it feels like the creators finally let the writers and the cast have fun with sequel (I loved the shot of Snake in the sub underwater nearly getting snapped in half by a fake shark while passing over Universal Studios), and Snake actually gets to do things that show why he has this legendary badass reputation.  The movie isn't the most polished or the best-paced (and Bruce Campbell plays a completely thankless role in a 2-second cameo where you can't even tell it's him), but it is at least fun.  It was also amusing seeing Kurt Russel perfect his Snake voice, considering David Hayter (and Hideo Kojima) completely ripped his character's name and voice off for Metal Gear Solid.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2695 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:58 PM »
The Kids Are Alright: 8/10

Really good movie about two kids birthed through artificial insemination (separately by a lesbian couple) seeking out their shared biological father. The movie is fairly predictable with some things, but unique in its presentation, and development. I liked it.

This movie convinced me that the Golden Globes are rigged. This is not a comedy AT ALL, BY ANY MEANS. I didn't even chuckle during the film, it's not MEANT to be a comedy.

But guess what award it won? Best Muthafukin' Comedy. So I figure some kind of deal was made where the movie had to win SOMETHING because it was progressive and featured lesbians or something, but it clearly wasn't going to win Best Drama, so they shoehorned it into Best Comedy, and it won. And I got really effing angry.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: October 05, 2011, 02:45:02 AM »
Reviews have started coming out for the Lion King Blu-Ray, and I thought a few things I've seen in them were worth mentioning here since we were talking about the movie a little while back:

1.  On the upside, the horrible "Morning Report" song does not play during the regular sequence of the movie, unlike the previous DVD release.  It is relegated to the Extras, where it belongs and good riddance.

2. On the downside, apparently there was controversy with the original theatrical version of the film I wasn't aware of.  If you want to read more about it (including pictures), you can do so here, but suffice to say a 4 year old apparently discovered the word "SEX" written in a dust cloud during a pivotal portion of the movie.  The boy's parents complained to some consumer watch group, and the matter was taken up with Disney.  As a result, the Blu-Ray is now missing 2 seconds of footage to remove the "offensive" image, one that despite having seen this movie probably a dozen times I had never seen until now.

I wonder if this means Aladdin will be edited as well when it finally hits Blu-Ray, as there is definitely a sequence in the film where Raja is growling at him and you can hear Aladdin muttering what sounds like "all good teenagers...take off their clothes!" (though apparently the actual line is much more harmless, him saying "all good 'tee-gers' take off and go!")  That got a good laugh whenever it was shown in school, so I have a feeling that's going to be struck out of the audio mix next time if this Blu-Ray is any indication.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:48:38 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: October 05, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
2. On the downside, apparently there was controversy with the original theatrical version of the film I wasn't aware of.  If you want to read more about it (including pictures), you can do so here, but suffice to say a 4 year old apparently discovered the word "SEX" written in a dust cloud during a pivotal portion of the movie.  The boy's parents complained to some consumer watch group, and the matter was taken up with Disney.  As a result, the Blu-Ray is now missing 2 seconds of footage to remove the "offensive" image, one that despite having seen this movie probably a dozen times I had never seen until now.
Wow, that is really old news.  They had changed/removed that scene with the VHS releases once it was found in the Lion King.

Another one of those type of things is that the original VHS cover for the Little Mermaid there was suppose to be a Dildo in the background. 

I figure on Alladin they just record a new sound to put in its place.  Like, "All Good Tigers would scat."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:02:03 AM by Ceric »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
Wow, that is really old news.  They had changed/removed that scene with the VHS releases once it was found of the Lion King.

*shrugs*

Well, the DVDTalk review I read treated it like it was a new edit to the movie, so go figure.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: October 05, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
Drive is a really slow paced monotone movie with very short burst of action. Ryan Goselin probably only had about 20-30 lines in the whole movie and there are lots of almost awkward silence scenes. Overall it was interesting, but not a theater movie for me.

I watched the first 30mins of this and then stopped. Too much silence, but the story was interesting just took way too long to get there, and did so very quietly