Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553269 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2625 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
Thor

I'm not going to go into this one too much. Let's just say that it was pretty mediocre overall.

Asgard looked ridiculously cartoony, whereas everything that took place in Midgard was boring (visually and story wise). However, there was some humor to be found in the initial "fish out of water" sequences upon Thor's arrival in Midgard. Natalie Portman was annoying and the romantic subplot involving her and Thor was terrible. I really wish big budget films would stop shoehorning love stories into films. Loki made for a pretty lame villain, especially given how much more cunning he is in actual mythology.

That said, Anthony Hopkins made for a great Odin. Chris Hemsworth actually made for a pretty good Thor, too. I still would have preferred to see Alexander Skarsgard in the role, but I guess his name wouldn't have sold tickets. :rolleyes:
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: September 19, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »
Watched Rising Sun again (been about 10 years)

It is silly and uneven.
That said, I enjoyed it as a guilty pleasure. It has some particularly hilarious commentary on so-called "Japanese culture"
6.5/10
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: September 19, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
Saw The Lion King in theatres.  Unlike George Lucas Disney really didn't do anything but add 3D.  Its still a good movie and hearing it on a good sound system was a treat.  Since the movie theatre I saw it at charged less then the normal average ticket price to see it in 3D I can say I don't feel bad about seeing it that way.  If someone sat me down and asked if I wanted to watch the 2D or the 3D version I watch the 3D one but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out.  Just like Real life the 3D was subtle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: September 19, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
I'm about to go watch in IMAX. Should be awesome.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: September 19, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »
My girl went and watched it in 3D about a week before it hit theaters and said the 3D was really well done. She actually wants to go watch it again.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: September 19, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
My girl went and watched it in 3D about a week before it hit theaters and said the 3D was really well done. She actually wants to go watch it again.
I go with her then.  As I said the 3D isn't "wow, 3D"  its more "hey this looks like how I see the real world".  Which fits this movie very well.  Another movie I think that this would really work for would be Alladin.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: September 19, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »
I go with her then.  As I said the 3D isn't "wow, 3D"  its more "hey this looks like how I see the real world".  Which fits this movie very well.  Another movie I think that this would really work for would be Alladin.

I was really underwhelmed by the whole Lion King 3D presentation:

Picture: it is necessarily dimmer because you have to wear 3D glasses. This holds true for all current 3D presentations at theatres so I won't hold this one specifically against Lion King

3D: I noticed a curious effect from the conversion process: some foreground images that are clearly supposed to be in-focus were rendered blurry. I first noticed this in the scene near the beginning where young Simba excitedly tries to wakes up his parents. When the three are still inside the cave and the sleepy parents are complaining to each other, Mustafa is blurry while Simba and the mom lion are not. This effect repeated at various times in the movie. Did any of you notice this?

Sound: I was shocked how unimpressive it was. Right from the beginning, it seemed as if the levels were set too low and the mix was wrong. As an example, when the monkey guy first hold up Simba so the animals can greet him, the music should swell so much that it blows you away. It didn't. It was flat and the animal whoops of greeting under the music were so muted s to be almost gone. The thump at the end of the beginning song when the title first appears was a dull thud. The elephant footsteps were also dull thuds. The bird-twets and ambient savannah sounds were flat. Etc etc. I know the htheatre I went to has an excellent sound system. I think the locked didgital print from Disney just had inaadequately set sound levels. I don't think the theatre is permitted to adjust them either. Also, the sound mix itself was flat and lifeless. Really really poor, in my opinion. I had a better time watching the DVD.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: September 19, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
Fatty to be frank you had a terrible theater.  Because my sound was much better then that.  I call the theater and ask them to fire whoever dropped the ball on that movie because they did.
Also if you get a good theater they'll have the brightness set correctly for 3D movies and they don't look any different then 2D.  Unfortunately the bulbs are more expensive and most theaters turn them down to extend there life to non-recommended but accepted qualities.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2633 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
I saw it too, and the sound was great. One of the best parts was the hippo stomping during "I just can't wait to be king."

I thought the 3D was pretty good. Considering it was a 2D film, I half expected to see everything looking like cardboard cut-outs. In stead, you get the occasional character that looks a bit elongated or otherwise oddly shaped. Other than that, it was probably the best 3D effects you can get with 2D animation.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: September 19, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I watched it in 2D since I was worried the post-production 3D effect would ruin the movie. Also, since The Lion King is my favorite movie of all time, I wanted to feel like I was watching it as if it was '94. The sound was IMPRESSIVE by the way. A million times better than at home.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »
Saw The Lion King in theatres.  Unlike George Lucas Disney really didn't do anything but add 3D.  Its still a good movie and hearing it on a good sound system was a treat.  Since the movie theatre I saw it at charged less then the normal average ticket price to see it in 3D I can say I don't feel bad about seeing it that way.  If someone sat me down and asked if I wanted to watch the 2D or the 3D version I watch the 3D one but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out.  Just like Real life the 3D was subtle.

Out of curiosity, are they showing the original Theatrical Cut in theaters or the "Special Edition" with the spectacularly crappy and unnecessary "Morning Report" song shoe-horned in?

The Lion King is probably my favorite animated movie of all time, certainly my favorite Disney movie.  Things have been looking rather favorable that I'm going to be working again soon, and if so I'm totally buying the 2D Blu-Ray.  **** 3D.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: September 19, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »
It would have to be the Theatrical Cut because I don't remember any song that I didn't know and I haven't seen the "Special Edition". 

Ok I just looked it up on Youtube.  That is definitely not in the 3D version.  During that time it was pouncing lessons.  Your right that is bad.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »
It would have to be the Theatrical Cut because I don't remember any song that I didn't know and I haven't seen the "Special Edition". 

Ok I just looked it up on Youtube.  That is definitely not in the 3D version.  During that time it was pouncing lessons.  Your right that is bad.

Good.  I'm hoping the Blu-Ray version keeps that song only as a deleted scene in the Extras, where it belongs (unlike "Human Again" in the Beauty & the Beast Special Edition, which we're stuck with on the Blu-Ray).

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: September 20, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
Fatty to be frank you had a terrible theater.  Because my sound was much better then that.  I call the theater and ask them to fire whoever dropped the ball on that movie because they did.
Also if you get a good theater they'll have the brightness set correctly for 3D movies and they don't look any different then 2D.  Unfortunately the bulbs are more expensive and most theaters turn them down to extend there life to non-recommended but accepted qualities.
I hope you are right. Probably you are. My only hesitation is that I actually caught the first 15 minutes at two different theatres (long story) and the situation wa the same at both. But, the theatres are part of the same chain so maybe that explains it.

Jacking up the brightness on the projector does not solve the 3D glasses dimming problem (to my knowledge). All it does is wash out the picture. I am not aware this is a projection practice. The sad fact is that post-filming 3D conversion just dims the originally shot picture. If the feature was filmed digitally in 3D in the first place (a la Avatar) this is less of an issue. (Again, this is just my understanding. I am prepared to be shown incorrect).
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2639 on: September 20, 2011, 12:16:39 PM »
From what I've noticed, the picture is noticably darker just by putting on the 3D glasses. If you cover the sensor while wearing them you can see the effect turn on and off.

A good bulb will brighten all colors across the spectrum. Increasing the 'brightness' will washout the colors with white light, so a good technician on the camera will have all the settings at optimal. I think its safe to say about every theater is now using a digital projector instead of the old reel type (in which case there isn't really any settings to adjust except how close the lamp is to the film).

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: September 20, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
I probably already did a review on this but damn...

'The Fountain' 10/10

Something about this movie really gets to me. Maybe its the obsession or the devotion or the love or just the whimsical nature of it all, but every time I see it, it ends up sticking with me; giving me a feeling I can't shake for at least a day.

Maybe it is the score, which is Clint Mansell's best since 'Requiem for a Dream'. It is smooth and melodic when it needs to be and ready to give you goosebumps in a seconds notice. The end theme ('Death is the Road to Awe') especially is by far one of the best compositions I have ever heard, soundtrack or otherwise. It's beautiful and tense, and ready to explode, yet thoroughly uplifting and tragic.

Aronofsky's directing is no slouch either. His use of imagery is simply breathtaking in this movie. Every single frame is shot with purpose, leaving you as the viewer, searching thoroughly through each piece for clues. His directing skills become an integral part in understanding the underlying story. And that's an important point to recognize early on because this is not an easy movie to understand. I have seen it three or four times and each time I have a different theory of what message he is trying to portray. There are not many movies like this.

This hardest thing to enjoy about this movie is simply how sad it is. It may not be as terrifyingly depressing as 'Requiem', but it is really really sad. Some of it plays on cliche heart strings, while others you'd have to genuinely be a robot (Bender) to not find harrowing. The conclusion though....My God the 10 or so minute scene when the song I linked to plays over, isn't sad or tragic yet it is so incredibly emotional that I have yet to see anyone, including myself, hold back a tear. This isn't a "Mufasa dying" kind of tear. You know the one that you would hide from your lady friend if she's watching it with you. This is definitely not that. It's more like an outpouring of emotion from watching such a brilliant conclusion brought to life by impeccable music and imagery. It's a tear produced from the sheer fact that you've had goosebumps for the last 5 minutes straight.

Though I gave it a high rating, this isn't my favorite movie. 'The Boondock Saints' takes the cake in that respect. But it is a mandatory film in my collection. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch it by yourself and really get in to it. Don't be afraid to turn up the volume either. You won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:11:10 PM by The Unagi »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »
'The Fountain' 10/10

Yes, yes, yes... YES!!!

Easily one of my favorite films of all time. From the themes to the visual effects, it's almost akin to a modern 2001: A Space Odyssey. I really don't think that Aronofsky is capable of making a bad film. Here however, the sorrow is a little more personal for the audience. Whereas in Requiem for a Dream, all of the characters brought on (and even deserved) their suffering.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:57:19 PM by Morari »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
Yes you're right and I think that's because all of Aronofsky's films deal with obsession, unhealthy obsession that finally breaks the character. It makes for a remarkable story. In 'Requiem for a Dream', their obsession brought on the breaking of their characters but did not release them from the improsiment of their obsession. In 'The Fountain', the exact opposite happened, with the breaking of a character finally leading to what the character wanted all along. And that's why I think this movie's message is more beautiful and personal.

Speaking of characters, Hugh Jackman's portrayal of a Conquistador is perfect. I never thought of him as much of an actor until this movie. Actually the whole past setting is remarkably well done.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:11:57 PM by The Unagi »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: September 20, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »
Speaking of characters, Hugh Jackman's portrayal of a Conquistador is perfect. I never thought of him as much of an actor until this movie. Actually the whole past setting is remarkably well done.

Agreed. I always thought he was fairly average until viewing The Fountain.

That said, I don't think that the Conquistador scenes actually account for the past. It was always my understanding that those sequences were overtly fictional within the confines of the film. It is, in fact, the modern or present-day setting that is portrayed as being the past. The seemingly futuristic sequences are actually the present. At least... those are my thoughts.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: September 20, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »
I didn't want to spoil anything so I just said 'past'.

If you want to get down to it, this is how I think all three existences tie in to each other.

The past is Izzy's story, with the Inquisitor playing the part of her cancer and the Conquistador playing the part of her husband and her savior.

The present, aka the actual past, is his recollection of how Izzy died. It is shows his deepest regret...not spending more time with her, not walking with her on the first snow. Also it is how we are linked to the book and thus to the "past" as well as explaining how he is alive in the future.

The future is the present, and it's him as an astronaut after finding the "cure for death" still trying to find a way to bring Izzy back. The tree is Izzy and all he wants is her to stay alive once again until he can bring her back to life with Xbibalba, but all she wants him to do is finish the book. Finish the book. But throughout the film he has no idea how to.

Once his character breaks and he realizes what she has been asking of him all along and more importantly how to be back with her as a part of the universe, he finally accepts 'Death as the road to Awe'. He turns to stardust and flows into Izzy as she blooms one last time before they both become one with the universe, ending an amazing and deeply complex story.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:09:53 PM by The Unagi »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2645 on: September 20, 2011, 11:51:31 PM »
Transformers 3

Shitty.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: September 21, 2011, 02:23:34 AM »
Great posting by Halbred. I haven't seen the movie. Or the second one for that matter. The first one was bad enough. But I was really enjoying the conversation between Morari and The Unagi as they delve into The Fountainhead and it's meanings and emotional ties to the movies and then the Halbred post. Greatly timed.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2647 on: September 22, 2011, 01:54:50 AM »
I thought TF3 was a great improvement over 2. More action, more robots, no lame generic stereotypes infused into robot personalities. Was the story great? Hmm, what was the last great Transformers story you watched on TV? The comics are probably more successful with story-telling, but I'm not sure. But the robots merged with the environment so well that I never said 'That looks pasted on'. Too bad I can't say the same about Green Lantern.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: September 22, 2011, 02:46:21 AM »
Hmm, what was the last great Transformers story you watched on TV?

Beast Wars. That's also pretty much my only knowledge of the Transformers series. Never saw the orginal or anything after this series. But I did like a lot of the story on this show.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:37 AM »
Hmm, what was the last great Transformers story you watched on TV?

Beast Wars. That's also pretty much my only knowledge of the Transformers series. Never saw the orginal or anything after this series. But I did like a lot of the story on this show.

Indeed, Beast Wars was awesome, easily the best Transformers series.  I also have to put in a good word for its successor Beast Machines.  It's nowhere near as good and it's more than a bit of a slow burn, but when it finally ramps up it's quite a decent series in its own right with a pretty epic finale.

I also thought Transformers Armada was pretty decent once they stopped focusing on the "Gotta Catch 'em All" MiniCon aspect of the show.  I've also heard very good things about Transformers Animated, though I've only seen the pilot.  I haven't seen Transformers Prime, but I've heard some good things about it.