Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553205 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2575 on: August 23, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »
@BnM
I guess that's the difference, I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by it being a complete movie and not the jackass fest I was expecting.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: August 23, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »
RED - One completely underused Morgan Freeman and 4 "Mehs" out of 10.  You'd really think that a movie that contains the likes of Morgan Freeman and Bruce Willis going around shooting and blowing stuff up would be awesome.  But it's certainly not here.  The plot is nebulous for far too long, and I just found the movie pretty dull overall.  It's obviously trying to be spectacularly over-the-top with tongue firmly in cheek, but I didn't think either aspect of the movie really pulled its fair share of the load.  The humor isn't particularly funny, and the action scenes just aren't anything altogether remarkable.  This movie has a great cast, but they're just not given anything compelling to do.

I picked up the second (and last) Eden of the East movie today on Blu-Ray: Paradise Lost.  Hopefully, it can make up for not only the pretty underwhelming King of Eden movie but end the TV series on the right note.  I won't give my hopes up on that, given anime's track record on satisfying endings.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: August 23, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
Superheroes: 9/10

It's a documentary about real life superheroes. People who (like in the movie Super which I will review next) dress up in costume, armor, and non lethal weapons and combat local crime. Well, that's their purpose, but the only things they do are (I don't know if this should be spoiler tagged or not, but just in case: ) one group baits muggers with a flamboyant gay man and a woman who are part of their group, and then make a citizens arrest. While filming, they caught a drunk driver, called the police, who did not respond, so they took the guys keys and let him sleep it off. The other groups mostly help homeless people, but one of them patrols a park in NYC discouraging drug dealers. I would recommend this movie, this movie did affect me, and while I don't want to dress up in costume and patrol my suburban neighborhood, I do think I will be trying to help people more often in some way and be less apathetic.

Super: 9/10
I think it was BnM who reviewed this movie, and I watched it and loved it. As he, or whoever reviewed it said, Ellen Page was great in it. It's a movie about a guy who's wife gets into drugs and in order to save her he becomes a super hero. Before saving his wife he does take on smaller criminals and it's hilarious, absolutely hilarious. I thought most of the violent funny parts of Kick-Ass weren't funny (btw I loved that movie and think it was better than Super despite what I just said) but they were great in Super.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2578 on: August 23, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
30 Minutes or Less: 7/10

It was funny. Not side splitting, but still very funny. I was expecting it to be funnier considering the cast, but it I guess they didn't all mesh to well together. Danny McBride and Nick Swardson just don't make the best comedic duo, and Aziz Ansari just seemed muted.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
Super: 9/10
I think it was BnM who reviewed this movie, and I watched it and loved it. As he, or whoever reviewed it said, Ellen Page was great in it. It's a movie about a guy who's wife gets into drugs and in order to save her he becomes a super hero. Before saving his wife he does take on smaller criminals and it's hilarious, absolutely hilarious. I thought most of the violent funny parts of Kick-Ass weren't funny (btw I loved that movie and think it was better than Super despite what I just said) but they were great in Super.

I just watched Super last night, actually. I felt it was generally on par with Kick-Ass. The violence in Super isn't really glamorized at all, which makes it far less exciting though not necessarily less entertaining. They both explore the same idea, but go at it from different angles and with different motives. That said, I never got to liking the motive in Super. Frank's wife, Sarah, wasn't really worth the effort. She was a step away from being strung out when they first met and quickly fell back into that as people do. Was it because she was working at a less-than-reputable establishment? Was it that atmosphere and social circle that allowed Jacques to lure here away? Once a junkie, always a junkie. The fact that she up and left Frank again at the end only further removed any satisfaction from the initial motives. I know that Frank is a loser and all, but sitting through a "triumphant" film about someone with absolutely no self respect was a little painful.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: August 23, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »
Eden of the East: Paradise Lost - 1 Double Facepalm, 4 sad shakes of the head, and 1 "WHY?!!"/10.  Damnit, sometimes I hate it when I turn out to be right.  So, this is the glorious ending to your epic 12-episode TV series + 2 movies is it, Production I.G.?  Ugh...

Alright, let's get this over with.  This movie is...not terrible, but as I've come to expect over the years it is a terrible ending to the story begun with the TV series.  The hook of the TV series was this massive mystery based around a deadly game between these "chosen" Japanese citizens known as Selicao.  They're each handed 10 billion yen, and then told to "save Japan"...or die.  The most interesting charm of it was that each Selicao had what amounted to a magic cellphone that could do practically anything assuming they had the funds to pay for it.  As the main character slowly built his own plan to win, the audience is gradually shown the plans of some of the other Selicao, occasionally even leading to entertaining celllphone "battles" where each would try to outwit the other.  Even the first movie followed through on this idea with interesting personalities constantly in variable states of conflict, and sometimes characters would be removed from the game to build intrigue.

So given that build-up, you'd ASSUME that the finale movie would finally bring a great-deal of payoff, action, and drama to send this story off with a bang.  YOU'D BE DEAD WRONG.  Instead of focusing on the strengths of the series (the mystery, the phones, the eccentric personalities), we have a movie that spends almost its entire 1.5 hour running time answering a question no one asked in previous movies: "Is Takizawa the Prime Minister's bastard son?"  It then spends 5 minutes closing the game with one of the most B.S. endings I've ever seen: EVERYONE wins!  That's right, Mr. Outside declares EVERYONE a winner and just stops the game!  And pretty much every character in the end is right where they were when the series began, with only minor changes happening in the show's world, making this entire story almost completely pointless!  ARGH!

When I finished the TV series, I wrote that I was giving the ending a pass conditional upon the 2 follow-up movies delivering a satisfactory ending.  Well, you can kiss that goodbye.  What's really annoying, though, is that a lot of these issues might have been ironed out if the TV series was just 26 episodes instead of a 12-episode series and 2 movies.  There's a lot of sloppy to terrible writing in the movies due to their abbreviated nature.  I lost count of the number of plot points that occur off-screen that had to be told later in sloppy exposition, when they could have been told in real-time in a TV series.  And because this is a direct continuation of the TV series, it casts a bad light on what was generally a good series.

Overall, the animation is good, the dubbing is good, the writing is abysmal.  If you're looking for closure to the TV series, I guess you get it but it's handled very badly.  It's like the writers forgot what made their story fun to begin with and just made things up as they went along towards the end.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:09:44 PM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: August 24, 2011, 07:53:39 PM »
Summer Rental A classic 80's comedy starring John Candy. The plot is typical but I have a nostalgia for movies like this. Three Stars

Actually, I have a question. In this movie there is a scene where the family can't get in to a restaurant and so they end up going to a run down seafood place, they order the special and they cut to a shot of the cook pulling frozen fish sticks out of the freezer. I COULD ALMOST SWEAR that I have seen a similar scene in another movie. Any idea what movie it was?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 24, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
The Bourne Ultimatum

Great action sequences, awesome car chase, and a fitting ending for the trilogy.

Battle: Los Angeles

It was good, I guess. More intense than anything.

The Departed

Holy ****, did they curse a lot in that movie. I lost count after 100.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2583 on: August 31, 2011, 01:54:45 AM »
Midnight in Paris: 10/10

Owen Wilson does a very good job (for him) in this one. The humor is very subtle in places but is still enough to make one burst with laughter. One plot line was kinda written off cheaply, but the rest of the script is brilliant. Even the one plot line I mentioned is concluded in probably the most hilarious way possible. The character development is great, and the story genuinely had me interested to see what was going to happen next. I highly recommend this one.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:24 AM »
Finally got around to watching Sucker Punch the other night, and yeah...it's complete and total crap.  It's surprisingly boring (there's no drama to make the action scenes interesting), the story isn't executed well at all, and the acting is pretty bland all around.  The movie might have been saved in the editing room if some of the Alternate Reality stuff had been spliced with what was going on in the "real world" (and if the Whorehouse world was removed altogether), but as it is the movie is just a terrible execution of a potentially interesting idea.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: August 31, 2011, 09:06:06 AM »
Agreed. Suckerpunch was little more than a bunch of extended music videos, framed by an otherwise boring dream sequence.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: September 02, 2011, 03:19:38 AM »
I've been trying to catch up on movies I missed this summer, and now I've seen Thor.  Overall, a good movie that falls just short of being a great movie on par with Marvel's first Iron Man movie.  One of my complaints with last summer's Iron Man 2 was that so much of the movie was devoted to setting up the Avengers film that there wasn't enough of an actual Iron Man story in the film.  He felt like a guest star in his own film.  Thor does not have that problem.  There is some setting-up for the Avengers, but the vast majority of the film is Thor's story and it's a decent and pleasantly-operatic story at that.  The acting is also pretty good, with the actor playing Thor turning in a surprisingly likeable performance as a character I don't usually like in other interpretations (he's kind of boring in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes TV show, for example).

There are two big issues I had with the movie, though: first, the fight scenes are kind of bland, especially since Thor seems uncharacteristically unwilling to actually use his Lightning in battle.  I actually had to laugh a bit at how the opening of the movie is staged, with the Frost Giant army and the Asgardian army standing in formation.  I couldn't help but mutter "A last alliance of elves and men marched on the Bifrost Bridge.  And on the slopes of Jotenheim, they fought for the Freedom of the Nine Realms."   ;)   And a lot of the fight scenes seem to be shot either so close-up you can't see what's going on, or the action moves so fast you can barely tell what's going on (which is what seems to happen every time Thor flings himself at something).

My second problem with the movie, which is somewhat linked to my first, is that it feels like the film keeps building for a climax it never quite pays off on.  There's just something not altogether satisfying about the film's 3rd act, leaving me with a bit of a "wait, that's it?" feeling to it.

Despite a few hiccups, though, I found Thor to be a much more entertaining movie than I would ordinarily expect from this character, and I look forward to seeing how he is handled in the Avengers film.  I look forward to finally seeing Captain America as well sometime in the next month or so as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:27:45 AM by broodwars »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: September 02, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »
30 Minutes or Less 6/10

Not as funny as I'd expect with guys like Danny McBride, Aziz Ansari and Nick Swardson (Jessie Eisenberg is okay..) but still enjoyable to watch..

until I found out its (somewhat) based on a true story!
ctrl+f "Brian Douglas Wells"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2588 on: September 02, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
Yeah, I already knew they took the basic plot from a real story. I remember seeing it covered on America's Most Wanted years ago. I may see the movie eventually, though probably on DVD.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: September 02, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
30 Minutes or Less

(somewhat) based on a true story!

I had read about that as soon as I had heard about the movie. It was a pretty entertaining story in itself. I thought I posted about it here on NWR, but I guess not...

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: September 02, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »
I got dragged to see Our Idiot Brother last night.  Didn't really have any expectations but it turned out to be decent enough.  Theres some good laughs in it and has somewhat of a Big Lebowski feel to the main character.  I'd say you could do worse for a date movie.  (6 or 7)/10 range.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: September 03, 2011, 01:06:10 AM »
I got dragged to see Our Idiot Brother last night.  Didn't really have any expectations but it turned out to be decent enough.  Theres some good laughs in it and has somewhat of a Big Lebowski feel to the main character.  I'd say you could do worse for a date movie.  (6 or 7)/10 range.

Agree with everything except getting dragged to it. I wanted to see it, why?

Zooey Deschanel.

Bonus: Elizabeth Banks as a saucey brunette. **** yeah.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: September 04, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »
Just got back from a day at the movies again. Only watched 3 this time.

1st up was Apollo 18
At first I was like WTF is this **** and thought I had got roped into some documentary on the Apollo 18 space flight, but then I recognized one of the actors from Alphas and was also wondering how a space doc could be PG13/R rated. A lot of the movie was from onboard camera angles and is sorta Blair Witch meets Moon. My girl was scared the entire 2nd half once things started to pick up, and overall, I would say that it wasn't bad. DVD rental though.
p.s. They also try to pass it off as actual footage and a real government conspiracy.I think that's half the reason my girl was scared while watching it.

Next up was Rise of the Apes.
Easily the best movie of the 3 watched. Ceasar was a BADASS and looked it at every moment he got to put his mean mug on.The movie could've been longer and I wouldn't even have minded. I don't remember too many details from the original series of movies, but this was a damn good reboot/make and very deserving of a sequel ASAP. I would love to see where they take it next.

Last but not least was Fright Night
Very entertaining. I couldn't help but think that the GF in this movie was a young Sarah from Chuck. She just looked so much like her from so many different angles, right down to her teeth and smile. Anyway, everything was decent in this movie up until a face they show at the very end. I assume it was some sort of attempt at a cheap scare just before the end, but it was cheap CG and looked really bad. Other than that, it was some decent Vampire action and worth a Saturday Redbox rental when it releases on DVD.

as a bonus I watched a DVD called Dylan Dog the other nite.....
OMG what a waste of time that was. I thought it was gonna be a fun & cheesy modern monster flick, but damn was I wrong. It stared Brandon Routh and co-starred that werewolf guy from Being Human.... This movie was terrible. Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, gargoyles, Monsters and things of that sort and yet nothing about this movie was worth watching for someone that is a fan of all those things.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: September 04, 2011, 02:53:21 PM »
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is intended to be a series reboot so direct sequels are a definite, especially considering how well this movie has been doing (last I heard anyway)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: September 07, 2011, 01:10:03 AM »
The Perfect Host - 7.5/10

What a CRAZY movie.... ok maybe the movie wasn't crazy, but the people in it were..... ok, maybe not people, but one person in particular. and I don't mean crazy like he's doing things I would do crazy, I mean certifiable insane crazy. Should be locked away crazy and I'm not sure how he is still loose in society crazy. Interesting movie over all.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: September 07, 2011, 03:02:22 AM »
What is this crap?? I need to talk to my lawyer.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
I *almost* **** my pants because I thought my account got hacked or something, then I saw the name over my avatar...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
This account is hacked. It can no longer be held responsible for political statements or endorsing software piracy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: September 09, 2011, 03:11:14 AM »
Just got back from what was supposed to be yet another 3-peat movie marathon.
Only got to watch 2 of the movies though since the 3rd didn't end up being played since no one bought a ticket to it.

Started off with Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark
This is the latest from Guillermo Del Torro before he finishes up The Hobbit. I wouldn't say it was scary, so much as it is pretty intense throughout, but I don't really find anything scary. Honestly, I watch so many "horror" movies, that I think they did a good job if they keep you wanting to see what happens next vs just waiting for it to be over. Some things didn't make sense like how no one ever bothered to look at the dozens of pictures she took with the polaroid and some some other things were kinda predictable.... or atleast I called it long before it was revealed, but it was a pretty good movie. Would make a nice rental.

Next up was Shark Night 3D (in 2D)
It was exactly what I expected minus any female nudity at all. Seriously, there was none. They teased it, but they never actually show anything. There was a naked guy in there though. Full body shot for a good 10 or so seconds (back turned pose). Everything was pretty predictable, but I'm sure some 3D would have made for some of the visuals to stand out a little better. It was kinda like a high quality SyFy movie or something you would've seen on late night USA back in the day. Entertaining, but lacking.

The last movie would have been Conan 3D, but sadly no one bought a ticket, so they didn't play the movie. It's ok though, since I wasn't really looking forward to it anyway. My girl was really bummed about it though. That's the 2nd time we didn't get to watch it, so I just take it as a sign that it should just wait for netflix.

edit: I have to ask though. It's 2011, when are these theaters gonna start showing movies in HD? It's like a vaseline filter is on every projector. Some better than others, but none where crisp and clear like HDTV/movie at home.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:15:32 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: September 09, 2011, 11:36:21 AM »
Only got to watch 2 of the movies though since the 3rd didn't end up being played since no one bought a ticket to it.

That should tell you something. :P