Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553205 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2325 on: June 05, 2011, 02:02:07 AM »
Bridesmaids - Don't see this movie.

You'll go in thinking it's about some crazy bachelorette party, but it's...not at all. Instead, it's about how Kristin Wiig's life is a trainwreck and she goes around destroying her friend's lives (and her maybe new boyfriend). There are some funny moments, but this is not a FUNNY movie. It's kind of a chick flick, at the end of the day.

But... but.... I heard it was the female Hangover but funnier.

I've been lied to!? How disappointing.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2326 on: June 05, 2011, 04:25:47 AM »
Remember that Adam Sandler/Seth Rogan movie, "Funny People," that was titled ironically? This is like that. The previews make it look like an entirely different movie in order to get people in the theaters, then they force-feed you some crappy chick flick.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 06, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »
X-Men First Class 9/10. Didn't like X3 too much and was about to walk out of Wolverine Origins, but I found this to be great! There was so much less flashy super abilities shown but man the characters played their roles well!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: June 07, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »
Troll 2 - 5/10

One of those b-horror movies thats SO BAD IT'S GOOD! Trust me, get some friends, get ready to mock the **** out of how bad this movie is and you'll be in for a good night. Drinks will help get you through it. By that, I mean have more than a couple of drinks before you even ATTEMPT to start watching, otherwise the first five minutes will be so bad you won't bother with it.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 07, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
Wasn't that a MFT movie or did we quit that before we got to it?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: June 07, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
No idea, I unfortunately didn't follow the thread all that closely. I'm up for it if other people are!
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: June 07, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »
No idea, I unfortunately didn't follow the thread all that closely. I'm up for it if other people are!

That's what everyone said the first time....

But I had fun doing it. I'm sure I'll be down to do it again pretty soon.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
hm, i'd say lets hold off until winter. Staying in and watching a movie is a more wintery thing in my eyes. I'll definitely do it this time, I've been showing my netflix a lot of love lately.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: June 07, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
hm, i'd say lets hold off until winter. Staying in and watching a movie is a more wintery thing in my eyes. I'll definitely do it this time, I've been showing my netflix a lot of love lately.
My Netflix thinks my family is needy and really into Frog Twins by now.  It gets a lot of use.  In fact I think my wife interacts with it more than my Son on a nightly basis...or me for that matter...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 12, 2011, 03:45:39 AM »
The Roommate - 4/10

This is Single White Female 2011
If you've seen that movie, then everything in this movie is 100% predictable and probably in the same exact order. They changed alot of the details, but it's like they took the original SWF script and played Mad-Lib with it.
In my opinion, go watch SWF instead. It was by far a better movie.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 12, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
My Netflix thinks my family is needy and really into Frog Twins by now.  It gets a lot of use.  In fact I think my wife interacts with it more than my Son on a nightly basis...or me for that matter...

Samsies; The original idea behind getting netflix was to share it between my girlfriend, brother, cousins and myself since we usually get together and have 'movie night' anyway, and that we'd split the ridiculously low cost among us to make it even lower; about a year in and i'm the only one paying for the service but the one who uses it the least.

Hangover 2 - utter ****, needs no explanation.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:55:05 PM by EasyCure »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 12, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Maybe you should, y'know, cancel the service then?

Really though. Netflix is all the entertainment you need. Cancel the cable/satellite instead.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
lol I'm not really complaining about the price, it's only $9/month, I'm just not able to use it much on my own (save for an Ancient Aliens marathon recently). It was meant as more of a passive complaint that can be said about many things;  I have a car I use more for work than say.. taking a road trip, but that doesn't mean I'll get rid of the car :P

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
Just saw X-Men FC and Super 8 last weekend; loved both of them.  9/10, 8/10 respectively.

I was probably more pumped for Super 8 than any other summer movie; it's well done and does invoke a lot of nostalgia, but the last 20 minutes of the movie feels like it's really missing something to resolve the main character arcs.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »
i liked most of super 8, but it felt like it was in the middle of the movie when it ended. It was like some amazing sex, but someone was done and rolled over.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: June 15, 2011, 02:10:25 AM »
Mr. Hulot's Holiday. 3.5 out of 10.

This was a tough film to slog through. Maybe I had high expectations for it but I think it wouldn't even meet low expectations. There were only two moments that I laughed. Another handful that got a slight chuckle. The rest of the movie is.... well, it seems to be all set-up and no punchline. It's very odd. The editing seems to be off. Scenes are shown that don't seem to have any relevance to anything, the movie just seems to want to hop to another scene before any sort of pay-off is reached in the preceding scene. I didn't mind the movie's main score but it just seemed to be one theme played over in various iterations.

Just thinking about it brings out a frustration of expectation unmet. The movies keeps establishing things over and over and you expect them to lead to something but that something never comes. Like the man who is always running to the phone because of business or the old man and lady out strolling everywhere or the young man always spouting Communist Manifestos. The weird thing is, thinking back I can think of all kinds of gags and bits that are sort of funny on their own but in the movie with the way it unfolds and the pace, it just seems to kill any humor.

What struck me as I was nearing the end of the movie was that this was like a real life Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing. You have all these defined characters in this little villiage and they all act the same every day as the wander about the villiage each day. After conversing to them for a little while, they all say the same thing over and over and do the same things over and over. Trust me. If you ever watch this movie, you'll know exactly what I mean and you'll find this comparison genius. And it is only for that, I recommend checking out this movie.

On a final side note though, as I was watching it and saw Mr. Hulot pop his head through a roof window I instantly recognized the scene as the avatar for our dearly departed Movie Critic and Pretty Awesome Guy Evan "Svevan" Birchfield. You can see the avatar in question here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=8492. He hasn't changed it since he left 2 years ago. I always thought the avatar looked like Jimmy Stewart. So mystery solved.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 15, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
X-men First Class - 8/10

My first thoughts, when the trailer was first out, was this movie was going to be cheesy and "teh g@y".

Eventually I'd hear critics and viewers say how good it is, so I had to see it for myself.

Wow. So much better than I thought, I was impressed. Had dips in quality in some parts, as most movies do, but god damn I loved the portrayal of these characters, brings a whole new side on it and.. I'd hate to use the phrase but.. a whole "fresh" new taste to it all.

The cameos were awesome but where was stan lee??

I've read this might be part of a new trilogy, which I'm sure will happen of this does well (has it? i don't really follow that stuff), but I don't think they should. I'd like them to explore other eras.. Days of Future Past anyone!?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: June 15, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »
I think at least domestically X-Men: FC has earned as much as TPTB had expected.   I heard that of all the X-Men movies (Wolverine Origins included), FC only outperformed one of them.  Word is that even if it doesn't do as well overall, Fox may keep making movies along these lines to keep the movie rights from reverting to Marvel.

I do wonder if we're really starting to reach our saturation point on comic book movies this summer.  Still, I want to see Captain America and Cowboys & Aliens.

Early reviews on the Green Lantern are even worse than I expected.  Currently 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: June 15, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »
Was Thor good?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:13 PM »
Early reviews on the Green Lantern are even worse than I expected.  Currently 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Even the previews looked bad, so I'm not surprised.
They still haven't fixed the CG suit that looks like it was done in photoshop after the movie was complete. That is a wait till DVD watch for sure.

Captain America and XmenFC are on my theater list though. I have 4 AMD movie tickets just waiting to be used. I might go watch XMFC this weekend.

Was Thor good?

Yes. Thor was pretty good.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »
Was it Iron Man 1 and The Dark Knight good?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »
Was it Iron Man 1 and The Dark Knight good?

lol

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2347 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »
Is that sarcasm? If not, yes, both are excellent.

Sadly, Iron Man 2 is not nearly as good. It shouldn't be called "Iron Man 2" as much as "The Avengers Prequel."
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 16, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »
It was only sarcastic if you think that Thor was good. I'll certainly agree that Iron Man and The Dark Knight was great superhero films. Iron Man 2 was a worthwhile followup, but as you pointed out, included too many lead-ins to the Avengers. We'll see if Rise of the Dark Knight follows suit, or if it ends up being as lame as Batman Beings was.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 16, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »
So you don't think Thor was good?