Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553282 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1325 on: July 03, 2010, 02:27:35 PM »
The Last Airbender - 5/10 (2D version)- Well, this wasn't the utter raping of my neo-childhood like I thought it would be, merely the equivalent of M. Night beating it half to death with a baseball bat.  I haven't seen such a perfect example of a spectacularly average movie in a long time, but let's get the good stuff out of the way: the music is good, the costumes (aside from the Fire Nation's, which are hideous) are excellent, the sets are good, and 3 actors were good-to-pretty decent (Katara, Zuko, and Iroh).  Some of the effects were also pretty decent, as was the bending choreography.   Everything else, though, was mediocre to awful. 

The thing that's most frustrating about the movie, though, is that it's often one step away from being awesome but never moves beyond that.  Every time it approaches that the threshold of being incredible, the movie suddenly turns skittish and backs down as if it's afraid that it was being presumptuous.  The bending itself is odd, because while the movement looks great (except for Fire Bending, which isn't kick-centric like it is in the TV series despite being based on the Northern Shaolin fighting style) the effects are so minimal it's ridiculous.  For example, early in this movie there's a bunch of Earthbenders staging a revolt.  They'll do this extremely complex movement that takes 5-10 seconds to execute, and a frickin' pebble will get thrown at someone.  And there's always a considerable delay in the character movements and the actual elemental bending, which is very distracting since it was fairly 1:1 in the TV series.  It's so frustrating in an action-centric movie like this that there isn't a single good action sequence in the entire movie.

The pacing is all over the place as well, with the first half tripping over itself to establish some sort of cohesive narrative.  As you might expect, the movie's full of plot holes, some of which the movie's kind enough to point out for us ahead of time.   :confused;   While Zuko' story and characterization is handled fairly well, no one else's is.  Katara and Sokka don't do a damn thing in this movie, either, and the movie conveniently overlooks that Katara always is a better bender than Aang the entire series.  Then you have the casting...man, the casting is this movie is incredibly hit-or-miss.  By far the worst actor is Aang himself, followed by that travesty of a little girl they apparently casted to play Azula (Azula's supposed to look evil and crazy, damnit!  Not a sweet little girl!).

This movie perplexes me.  It's not as horrible as I feared, yet not as good as I hoped.  Maybe it's just due to incredibly low standards after seeing all the reviews, but I can't bring myself to hate this movie.  It's just so...average.  On the upside, M. Night did the impossible and managed not to cast himself in a main role in this movie, which surprises me because the guy they have playing commander Zshao looks just like him.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:43:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 03, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
so instead of just throwing the pebbles first they do a dance to make the pebbles move? Its like kung fu idiocracy?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 03, 2010, 06:05:48 PM »
so instead of just throwing the pebbles first they do a dance to make the pebbles move? Its like kung fu idiocracy?

In the movie, that's what it looks like.  In the TV series, it's much more organic (pun not intended) and powerful.  The complication of the movements in the TV series is proportional to the size of the attack, but in the movie it's just completely random.

EDIT: Link to fairly spoiler-free Avatar TV fight scenes so you get the general idea what the ones in the TV series are like (ignore the silly "Mortal Kombat" music.  It's hard to find Avatar compilation footage that doesn't use it).  As you can see, the movement is so fast in the TV series I have to wonder why they decided a Live Action movie was a good idea.   :confused;
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:45:53 PM by broodwars »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 03, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2NKQZNMAO0

all Americans should watch this movie before they try to make a kung fu movie  2:28

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 04, 2010, 04:32:01 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2NKQZNMAO0

all Americans should watch this movie before they try to make a kung fu movie  2:28

The above is normal.

With Americans you end up crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon which is a very meh, kung fu movie. It funny that they almost, always restrain themselves when making Kung Fu movies, but are happy to go Michael Bay at a drop of a coin.

A lot of those old HK Kung Fu movies are based off folk tales, of which a number are converted to comic books first or direct to movie.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 04, 2010, 05:52:26 AM »
Prince of Persia - Yes i'm a little late but i did enjoy this film. It reminded me heavily of The Mummy 1/2.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1331 on: July 04, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »
Date Night: Not as bad as you think going in/10

First off, it was my wife and my anniversary today. July 4th, easy to remember! Seemed like a fitting movie to see.

Certainly not a bad movie. Tiny Fey and Steve Carrell are both hilarious, and I find the former oddly attractive. It's one big running gag, but it's pretty well done.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 05, 2010, 02:29:27 AM »
Prince of Persia - Yes i'm a little late but i did enjoy this film. It reminded me heavily of The Mummy 1/2.

Interesting, I loved both of those movies.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1333 on: July 07, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »
Karate Kid part 3.
4 out of 5.
Enjoyable movie. Ties up some loose ends from the first movie. Entertaining to watch.

Was the one where Daniel went to Japan part 2?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 07, 2010, 02:35:34 AM »

While the show has a flow between the kung fu move and the attack, there is no thrown punch that doesn't attack with something and the movement and the element movement fit together the movie is often nothing like that.

The movie attacks can often best be described as casting a spell by dancing.  After they finish their moves they complete the "spell" and the attack begins.  Considering that I fell in love with the show because of the amazing way they did the element bending this pretty much destroys the movie for me.

It is terrible.  I can't believe Night even changed how you say Avatar to (ovatar) because he says thats how they do it in the original sanskrit or something.  This is an american english movie, using american english.  I didn't hear anybody bitching about James Cameron's Avatar saying it the American way.  Kung Fu is english taking the word Gong Fu.  That doesn't mean I can change it back, its an english word now.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:11:19 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: July 07, 2010, 05:30:58 AM »
The Last Airbender - 5/10 (2D version)- Well, this wasn't the utter raping of my neo-childhood like I thought it would be, merely the equivalent of M. Night beating it half to death with a baseball bat.  I haven't seen such a perfect example of a spectacularly average movie in a long time, but let's get the good stuff out of the way: the music is good, the costumes (aside from the Fire Nation's, which are hideous) are excellent, the sets are good, and 3 actors were good-to-pretty decent (Katara, Zuko, and Iroh).  Some of the effects were also pretty decent, as was the bending choreography.   Everything else, though, was mediocre to awful. 

The thing that's most frustrating about the movie, though, is that it's often one step away from being awesome but never moves beyond that.  Every time it approaches that the threshold of being incredible, the movie suddenly turns skittish and backs down as if it's afraid that it was being presumptuous.  The bending itself is odd, because while the movement looks great (except for Fire Bending, which isn't kick-centric like it is in the TV series despite being based on the Northern Shaolin fighting style) the effects are so minimal it's ridiculous.  For example, early in this movie there's a bunch of Earthbenders staging a revolt.  They'll do this extremely complex movement that takes 5-10 seconds to execute, and a frickin' pebble will get thrown at someone.  And there's always a considerable delay in the character movements and the actual elemental bending, which is very distracting since it was fairly 1:1 in the TV series.  It's so frustrating in an action-centric movie like this that there isn't a single good action sequence in the entire movie.

The pacing is all over the place as well, with the first half tripping over itself to establish some sort of cohesive narrative.  As you might expect, the movie's full of plot holes, some of which the movie's kind enough to point out for us ahead of time.   :confused;   While Zuko' story and characterization is handled fairly well, no one else's is.  Katara and Sokka don't do a damn thing in this movie, either, and the movie conveniently overlooks that Katara always is a better bender than Aang the entire series.  Then you have the casting...man, the casting is this movie is incredibly hit-or-miss.  By far the worst actor is Aang himself, followed by that travesty of a little girl they apparently casted to play Azula (Azula's supposed to look evil and crazy, damnit!  Not a sweet little girl!).

This movie perplexes me.  It's not as horrible as I feared, yet not as good as I hoped.  Maybe it's just due to incredibly low standards after seeing all the reviews, but I can't bring myself to hate this movie.  It's just so...average.  On the upside, M. Night did the impossible and managed not to cast himself in a main role in this movie, which surprises me because the guy they have playing commander Zshao looks just like him.

While the show has a flow between the kung fu move and the attack, there is no thrown punch that doesn't attack with something and the movement and the element movement fit together the movie is often nothing like that.

The movie attacks can often best be described as casting a spell by dancing.  After they finish their moves they complete the "spell" and the attack begins.  Considering that I fell in love with the show because of the amazing way they did the element bending this pretty much destroys the movie for me.

It is terrible.  I can't believe Night even changed how you say Avatar to (ovatar) because he says thats how they do it in the original sanskrit or something.  This is an american english movie, using american english.  I didn't hear anybody bitching about James Cameron's Avatar saying it the American way.  Kung Fu is english taking the word Gong Fu.  That doesn't mean I can change it back, its an english word now.

Wow. You two just totally shat on my hopes and dreams. I've been so hyped about this movie for two years. TWO YEARS! I really hope it's not as bad as you say it is.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 07, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »
Wow. You two just totally shat on my hopes and dreams. I've been so hyped about this movie for two years. TWO YEARS! I really hope it's not as bad as you say it is.

Dude, my review is probably as objective and kindly as you're going to find, considering this movie is already being widely hailed as a candidate for the worst film this year so far.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 07, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »

Abandon all hope.  I was a big fan of the show so I had a lot complaints like the bending being different and I don't like the all white main characters and pretty much all asian extras.  Katara is basically a background character.  The acting is terrible, Iroh is the only one who stood out as doing a good job to me.  (though in the movie they say Eeroh).

If you weren't a fan I think the movie will be worse.  There were times when I wasn't barely sure what was going on because they jump from place to place with almost no explanation.  Without the show to help you know the different scenes it has to be really weird.  They even tell a ****load of stuff through exposition.  I'm watching the movie, don't tell me "Sokka loves Yue," don't tell me "Aang is having trouble with waterbending" show me!

Something I would have overlooked if the movie was good but since its not I couldn't get it out of my head is Noah Ringer's (Aang) jowls.  Every close up, and theres a lot show me this kid with an inexplicably (seriously he is really skinny) fat face and looks like he is always really sad because of it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:22:35 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
The movie is so bad I accidently posted twice.  Dev Patel was ok and I really hope this movie doesn't kill his career.  I really liked Slumdog and would like to see him around some more.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:30:19 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 07, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
M. Night needs to stop making movies.
or atleast stop getting big studio movies and go independent.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1340 on: July 07, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
The Last Airbender (3D): Basically everything Broodwars said except I hated Katara's acting. It's like she was always crying for no reason. Aang looked like iCarly with her hair shaved off. The narration was over done at times. A lot of people said there weren't concerned with the casting of the extras (being too "white"), but it really just seemed all over the place (which was bad and confusing).

One major thing was how almost everything was pronounced wrong. This can work with a book, where pronunciation is up in the air, but with a TV that actually has sound, you can't mess that up. Both As are pronounced in "Aang," "Avatar" is AH-VAH-TAR, and the list goes on.

On to the 3D: It was barely used out side of the opening credits (company logos and such) and those little subtitles to tell you where the characters are. In fact, there was more 3D in the trailers before the movie than in the entire movie.

Overall, I give The Last Failbender a 3/10. It's still not a bad as Dragon Ball Evolution. As a general movie it was bad. As an adaptation it was worse.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 07, 2010, 03:43:13 PM »
yeah, i think he needs to go independent for a while. I think he has the capability to be a good director, its just that when you look at things to macroscopically it is easy to screw up.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
Last Failbender????

*weeps*

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 08, 2010, 12:04:09 AM »
Meet The Hollowheads WTF/WTF???

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 08, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »
Last Failbender? :confused;

*weeps*

I'm kind of obligated to post this.  I saw this over at the Toonzone.net forums and no...I don't know who drew it, but it's pretty hilarious and sums the movie up well.  It's the Avatar "Gaang" reacting to seeing the movie!   :P:

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »
Haha that's pretty good. I had to look for more.

Check this one out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDk3I6di5E

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 08, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »
Haha that's pretty good. I had to look for more.

Check this one out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDk3I6di5E

Yeah, there's been a lot of speculation that "The Ember Island Players" episode near the end of Season 3 was made pretty much to address the creators' opinions of the Last Airbender movie script.  I'm inclined to believe it was, considering just how out of completely nowhere that episode pops up right before the Series Finale.  Regardless, there's been a lot of referencing that episode from the fans in reacting to that movie.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: July 08, 2010, 01:04:05 AM »
But the episode premiered before the M. Night signed on. How is that possible?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: July 08, 2010, 01:07:04 AM »
But the episode premiered before the M. Night signed on. How is that possible?

The announcement that there was going to be an Avatar Live Action movie came out not too long after the Series Finale aired, so it isn't unreasonable to suspect that the producers saw which was the wind was blowing and decided to write their own commentary on the matter beforehand (remember, animation on that scale takes half a year or more to complete from the time the script is submitted to the animators and the lines are recorded).

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 08, 2010, 01:11:41 AM »
Maybe they heard it might become a movie, but there is no way they saw a script. I think they made that episode to make fun of the idea of a movie and not the actual movie that came out. That's why it's so funny how well it worked out.