Author Topic: LotR: RotK  (Read 11434 times)

Offline dus

• Report Me to a Moderator
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:LotR: RotK
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2003, 08:15:15 AM »
Man, that is my favorite movie of all time. Seriously! I went to the 13-hour trilogy showing and was blown away. My second and third favorite movies are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and My Neigbor Totoro (A Miyazaki Film).
Dustin O'Neal

Currently Liking: POP:TSOT, LOZ:MM, Miyazaki Films, Kayla

Currently Hating: Anything "Dragon Ball", anything Electronic Gaming Monthly

Offline krisdfish

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2003, 11:21:45 AM »
Well think about it this way, swordplay: If you liked the last 2 movies, and this one is supposed to be way better, then it probably be the most awsome movie ever.
If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers.

I am right 90% of the time. So why worry about the other 3%?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: LotR: RotK
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2003, 11:28:21 AM »
*grrrrrrrr.....*

If I could maybe MAKE SOME FRIENDS I could go to the MOVIES and eat POPCORN and sit on SEATS inside the BUILDING on someDAY.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline CardBoardBox

• Official Forum Blast Processor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2003, 11:30:04 AM »
Hi FRIEND *grins* yea..i think im gonna go see it tomorrow. Hobos ARE welcome to come with me.   I hear it is a verrrrrry good movie, and yea.  I wana go.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2003, 11:55:08 AM »
I want to tell all the fans here one thing- judge Return of the King as a movie, not as an adaption of the book. You'll enjoy it much more, trust me.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2003, 12:49:50 PM »
Saw it.  Very good.  Lots of splosions and elephants that squash people.

I read the books, but I was never a huge fan, plus it's been quite a while. . . there were many important parts that I could not remember until I saw the movie.  They left Sharky out, though.  Poor Sharky.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2003, 12:51:46 PM »
It's so weird.  I read the books only a couple years ago, but I have forgotten almost everything about them.  Holy crap I'll have to read them again. Not like that's punishment or anything.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2003, 02:51:44 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
I want to tell all the fans here one thing- judge Return of the King as a movie, not as an adaption of the book. You'll enjoy it much more, trust me.

Yes, there's certain things left out from the book that a lot of fans are pissed off about, but it wouldn't come across right in the film.  Books and movies are different mediums and have to be treated as such; what works in a book won't always come across well in a movie.  I don't want to spoil anything for anybody, but if they had kept everything in people would hate the movies... it would drag out way too much!  The movies were done better than I could have ever imagined, just watch the cartoons if you want to see a poor translation!  
Sleep
Those Little Slices of Death
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2003, 03:36:59 PM »
There's necessary changes in the movies and there's unnecessary changes in the movie- I don't agree with every addition and alteration Mr. Jackson has made, but for the most part they've been well done and work with the movie.

However, I will NEVER forgive whoever put elves in Helm's Deep- maybe it's just be geeking out, but I quite simply couldn't stand that.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2003, 06:18:13 PM »
I didn't mind the elves.  Sure they weren't there in the book, but there were wirtten in very well.  I also think it was jsut bad timing ont ehri part, the Elves were supposed to be an excuse to get Arwen to Helm's Deep, but when she was cut they had started filming and had probably done to much with the elves to cut them out completely.

As for Return of the King, I went to a midnight show.  We had someone who decided to take Pun to a new level.  Amongst the Hobbit and Elf costumes, there was a guy dressed as Elvis.

The movie was great.  Sarumon was perfectly cut out, and I don't mind since it will be there in the Extended Edition.  Was a big disapointed that there ins't the scouring of the Shire (And won't be even int eh EE) but it was a very obvious thing to be cut.  I'll jsut put that one along side Tom Bombadil in that it was cool, but didn't have to be there.  Loved that the rest of the ending was almost completly unchanged from the book.

The movie itself was great.  The battle at Minas Tirith was fantastic, the Army of the Dead was very creepy.  The battle with Shelob was jsut as I imagined it.  They managed to show most of the emotion seen in the books.  Not only has this trillogy surpassed all trilogies before it, but it has the ebst book to movie translation I think we can ever expect to see in film.  
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2003, 06:40:55 PM »
You have no idea how many themes of Lord of the Rings putting elves at Helm's Deep shattered. I'll refrain from listing them here, lest you wish to see the wrath of a geek. Besides, I've written about all I can write today. :\

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2003, 09:26:12 PM »

As for Return of the King, I went to a midnight show. We had someone who decided to take Pun to a new level. Amongst the Hobbit and Elf costumes, there was a guy dressed as Elvis.

He may not be as clever as you think.  If he read Soul Music by Terry Pratchett that pun is used.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2003, 10:22:22 AM »
Holy poop-on-a-stick! That was an amazing movie!

Spoilers ahoy!!! I was satisfied with the ending. They basiclly ended it where the book ends. Sam says "Well, I'm back...", but they skillfully removed the "Scouring of the Shire" plot, which was Ok, since the movie would have sucked with it. Imagine this: "Well, we're home... let's settle, OH NO! RUFFIANS AND THE WHITE WIZARD" Good in the book, but it just doesn't work like that in movies.  
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2003, 10:41:31 AM »
Oldskool: Believe me, the Scouring of the Shire is an essential part of the Lord of the Rings story, and while I can accept them cutting it out of the already very long theatrical cut, there's no reason to leave it out of the extended DVD.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2003, 10:43:43 AM »
I was going to write a really long review, but I don't think I need to. In fact, as sorry as I am to admit this, my review for the movie can be summed up in AIM jargon and emoticons gallore.

Berny's Review
omg!!!
(out of 5)
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2003, 05:19:30 AM »
I actually rather enjoyed the cartoons made from The Hobbit and LotR.  

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2003, 08:41:42 AM »
I never saw them but every review I ever hear is the sung to the same tune: Deck the Halls (with boughs of CRAP!!!)

You are the first exception, uglydot. I heard that they play one ANNOYING song througout the picture and it got old before they started playing it.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Swordsplay

• Burninating the country side
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2003, 08:59:30 AM »
I hope they make The hobbit as a movie to.  (Berny, i cant get a hold of you, you arnt on my buddy list, check your email)
Swordsplay, the great and cool almighty quote giver.  Ask and then you shall receive.  

-quote by manunited4eva22-
Would you like to spam some more with some blankety blank blank blank?
-end quote-

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2003, 11:39:08 PM »
All right, you are all probably going to kill me, but I just got back *well, a few hours ago* from my 4th viewing.  I am wiped and done for this run.  Next November can't come soon enough.

I got a group of around 25 together to go to Portland OR to watch the midnight showing.  After sitting in line for 6 hours, I was treated to an awesome something something of a movie.  Dark, but fun.

I left it thinking I liked TTT more, but seeing as I already had 2 more tickets purchased, I would see it again anyway.  After getting less then 2 hours of sleep I headed off to my school where literaly, less than one dozen students didn't see the opening.  That day (Wednesday) at 3, just as school got out, the movie magic began again.  Better the second time when I had less sleep.  A little weird.

The next day I played a concert, and on Friday I went to an all night party.  I went again at 3 o' clock on Saturday, with even less sleep, but the movie got better.  I have never cried in a movie before, and I kept that reputation even after watching ROTK, the first time.  I don't know if it was because I was tired or what, but I did shed a tear my third viewing.  Very impressive.  

As if that wasn't enough though, my friends were crazy enough to have a viewing of the trilogy today and they roped me in.  I can't complain; it was on the largest HDTV I have ever seen.  LOTR rocks.  I saw King again at 8 o' clock Sunday.

If you get the chance to see it, do.  You won't regret it.  Just try not sit next anybody if you can.  It has been out long enough that everybody wants to talk through it.  It can be pretty lame.

Foxtrot has some great comics this week too, if you get the chance.

SPOLIERS

OK, so I am keeping this vague, but when you see it a second time, during the reprise of a spider, just listen to the crowd.  One of the funniest things I have heard in a long time.  The gasps.  The wispers.  The thud.  You can really tell who has done their reading and who hasn't.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2003, 06:55:29 AM »
Saw it on Saturday and F*CK YEAH!!  That movie totally made up for some of the really dumb changes made to Two Towers.  Combined as one The Lord of the Rings is the best movie I have ever seen by far.  I thought that this one stayed quite true to the book and like in Fellowship the changes made were actually for the better.

*SPOILERS AHOY*

Merry didn't fight in the last battle at the gates of Mordor in the book but that's okay.  I think having Merry and Pippen united and fighting together to the very end is ultimately more satisfying.  The scene at the beginning of the last battle where Aragorn is the first to attack the orcs and Merry and Pippen follow second is a great little scene that wouldn't have been possible if Merry wasn't there.

The sons of Elrond and that Mordor general guy they meet at the gates were taken out but again that's okay because those are rather superfluous characters and it would have been too confusing to introduce all of them when they pretty much just stand around.  In a book you can explain in detail who they are but you can't in a book unless they do stuff.

There's no Scourging of the Shire in the movie but again that's okay because it really doesn't make sense for there to be a conflict after the Ring is destroyed.  The whole problem of the story is that the Ring must be destroyed.  Therefore it's just confusing and unnecessary to have ANOTHER problem after that.  Not only would it make the movie too long but it would just confuse the hell out of everyone.  And no that scene will not be added to the extended cut because they obviously didn't film it.  When the hobbits return everything looks the same as it ever did.  It's not like they simply removed a scene.  Plus in the commentary for Fellowship Jackson mentions how the scene where Frodo looks in the pool in Lothlorien and sees the Shire burning that that was their take on the scourging and how he didn't plan to put the actually scourging in the finished film.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2003, 07:19:32 AM »
You've done it now, Ian, you've incited the wrath of a geek.

[SPOILERS!! SPOILERS!!]

The Scouring of the Shire is an EXTREMELY important part of the story, and it makes perfect sense for there to be a conflict after the Ring is destroyed. The whole point the Scouring of the Shire represents is that just becaue you've destroyed the Ring does not mean you've destroyed all evil. A lot of people will get the impression from the movie that all evil is now gone and everything's peachy keen. The Scouring of the Shire shows that evil still does exist in the world, and always will exist. That evil is something you can never wholey destroy. Yes, a major evil, Sauron, was removed from the world, but that doesn't mean it was ALL removed. It also showed how one doesn't have to have inordinate power to work evil deeds, as we can see by the fact that Sauruman, despite being cast out of the order of the Istari by Gandalf, was still able to bring about the near enslavement of an entire race of people. And lastly, on a very basic level, it showed how hobbits aren't just a dumb country of farmers and peasents, that they'll stand up when they need to. The ONLY excuse I can accept for the Scouring of the SHire being cut out of the theatrical release was time- the movie was already 3 hours 20 minutes. But that leaves no excuse whatsoever to leave it out of the extended DVD, none at all. It's an essential part to the story of the Lord of the Rings and I think it needs to be told.

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2003, 08:04:16 AM »
I don't think there's any way they could have effectivly pulled off the Scouring of the Shire in the movie; it's anti-climatic.  While I understand it's important to the story and concepts of LotR (especially that the Hobbits aren't merely characters along for the adventure), I just can't see it working in a movie.  On top of that it would have dragged the ending out at least 30 - 45 extra minutes.  I just don't see how they could have pulled it off...
Sleep
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2003, 08:07:13 AM »
[SPOILERS!!!!]

That's why I said I can understand it being cut out of the theatrical release, but there's no excuse leaving it out of the extended DVD, which is almost entirely for fans.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2003, 08:34:11 AM »
"That's why I said I can understand it being cut out of the theatrical release, but there's no excuse leaving it out of the extended DVD, which is almost entirely for fans"

Yes there's an excuse.  It wasn't filmed.  It's also not as simple as merely adding it to the film.  That part wasn't just left out, the ending was constructed as if it was never meant to be included.  Adding it would require an actual CHANGE to the ending.  I think it's unrealistic to expect Peter Jackson to change his movie and film a different ending just for the Extended release.  For the most part the extended releases merely add new scenes and footage, they don't outright change them.

You obviously feel it was an important scene.  I don't and obviously Peter Jackson didn't either.  Neither of us is right or wrong but since it's Jackson's movie he gets the final say.  No matter what people are going to complain about stuff that's been changed or removed but if the film was a literal translation of the book it would have been REALLY long and REALLY boring.  I think Peter Jackson did pretty much the best job anyone could have.  Others would have changed too much and ruined it while others would have kept it too similar.

It's funny because on most forums people are complaining that the ending dragged on too long.  Here the big complaint is that it was too short.

Offline Ghost_of_a_Flea

• Master of Puppets
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2003, 09:15:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
You obviously feel it was an important scene.  I don't and obviously Peter Jackson didn't either.  Neither of us is right or wrong but since it's Jackson's movie he gets the final say.  No matter what people are going to complain about stuff that's been changed or removed but if the film was a literal translation of the book it would have been REALLY long and REALLY boring.  I think Peter Jackson did pretty much the best job anyone could have.  Others would have changed too much and ruined it while others would have kept it too similar.

I think that Peter Jackson seen it as being an important event in Middle Earth, but not an important event in Lord of the Rings.  Yes, it's semantics, but it's obvious that Peter Jackson believed that the trilogy should end with the destruction of the ring.  I don't want to say whether it should or should not have been in the film because movies and books are different mediums and I'm not qualified to create either, so I'll just offer my opinion.  

I see both sides of this issue; in the books there's a whole world, there's a ton more depth than you can pull across in three movies.  The movies are just that, a series of three movies; where as with the books the LotR trilogy is just part of an even greater picture.  So Peter obviously believed that the Scouring the Shire came after the climax or ending to LotR; so if I look at them as part of the universe of Middle Earth I can be upset... but I have the books for that.  I just see trilogy of movies as a great adaptation of one man's interpertation of the books (a lot of people interperate the books in different ways).  
Sleep
How I Loathe Them
- Edgar Allan Poe