Author Topic: Final Fantasy XI - Who's Playing?  (Read 2855 times)

Offline DrForester

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XI - Who's Playing?
« on: November 28, 2003, 05:47:14 PM »
Well, chances are none of us are on the same server, but how is everyone doing who's playing?  Level, character, server?  What are you up too?

I only made one character so far.

Name:  Miyara
Race:  Mithra
Class:  Red Mage
Level: 10
Server:  Pheonix (Though i've signed up for world emmagration with friends)
City:  San D'oria

So far i'm having a blast.  FFXI has fixed a problem i've had with MMORPG's where it doens't feel like you're making progress.  Yes, like the Penny Arcade guys I did get my butt kicked by a rabbit, but at only level 5 I was able to take on low level orcs and start making money.  At level 10 I can fend for myself in a few dungeons and it just doens't feel as pointless as with say Ultima and Everquest.  The aution system has a very quick learning curve and can be a good way to make money with the random items you get off kills.

The server thing can be a pain, but it really isn't that hard to pick your own server.  You can create, view server, and delete a character in the span of about 60 seconds or so, so you can just keep doing this till you get the server you want.  Pheonix must have been a full server, becasue it took me about 2ish hours to get in.  But durring that time I saw a good dozen other servers so, again, you can get in.  No clue how many there are total (Though there may be 3 more on the way next week).  Ian from machall.com got onto pheonix, and with the large readership at the site, I think a lot of people went for it.  Don't remember if the PA guys let out their server......probably good if they didn't.

The games pretty diverse, and people seem friendly enough.  Only once have i gone to one of the town gathering points to hear two people arguing at eachother.  There is a nice balance of races, and no race seems to be overwhelming the others.  The Tarutaru (the real small characters) are much more popular than I thought, as are the Mithra (The female only cat people) and Galka (The huge male only race).  I expected most people to be elvaan so it's nice to have the diversity.  Only real downside (Though hasn't effected me to much being a red mage) is the lack of White mages to heal party's, though this is a problem in many MMORPG's.  As such if you like to party up, be a white mage and you'll be very popular.

So if you're looking for a new MMORPG, or wanting to get started i'd definatly try it.  If you've had bad experiences i'd still give it a shot on PC since you get the month free.  It's a lot different than what I've palyed before.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE: Final Fantasy XI - Who's Playing?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 06:52:38 PM »
Forester, something tells me you are the only one here playing this (other than Gup probably).

Me personally, I have serious problems with the game, and would likely die before playing it.  I would shoot myself if I did.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 07:36:41 PM »
Oh, my only problem is it being an MMO game. I hate playing online, I hate realtime interaction with people I don't know. I think I'd consider it if there was a hacked server-app that makes your comp simulate a server (with LAN-play, maybe).

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 07:36:42 PM »
You should try a PC Gamers board, those guys always seem willing to continually throw money at the same game
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 09:44:03 AM »
MMORPGs give me hives.  I hate spending all my time fighting monsters to level up to fight more monsters.  There might be some treasure too, I guess.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Final Fantasy XI - Who's Playing?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 06:12:34 AM »
Slow paced games give me hives especially games like Morrow wind. UGH
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 09:35:56 PM »
I'm enjoying it though its a flawed product. I never used a program that ctd so much. (I have to running on three computers at my house because I have a FF nut living with me.

I'm on Ragnarok, and I know the way around the server thing.

They have flaws they can fix, the only one flaw they can't is having to deal with the other players. With the alias they have they can be more of a jerk than in real life.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 05:40:42 AM »
"ctd"?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 01:54:33 PM »
Crash to Desktop is my best guess.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline NarmaK

• View Profile
RE:Final Fantasy XI - Who's Playing?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 11:31:10 PM »
I gotta wait till xmas for the game along with a pc that can play it. Then the day after xmas I'm heading to Iran for 3 weeks so I probably wont be playing the game till I get back.

But when I do finaly get to play I will be making an Elvaan Male, probably a warrior or monk to start off with. Then Ill eventualy become a dragoon or maybe ninja.
And I will be living in Bastok to start off with. Go snow!

Ill let you know what server I get on. Ive heard good things about Alexander, maybe Ill shoot for there.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »
I'm bumping this bad boy cause i am getting super into this game right now.

Here is my info, find me if you are on my server...

Server/World: Titan
Name: Palewile
Residence: Windurst
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram