Author Topic: Games you DON'T want to see come out  (Read 13686 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Games you DON'T want to see come out
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:19:33 PM »
We are always talking about what we want to see come out, but would be fun to have a discussion of the opposite. What games do we NOT want to see announced. There can be various reasons for this as well. Maybe a series has wrapped up its story and like a good TV show, needs to wind down to end of a good note, or maybe you feel the series gets recognition it doesn't deserve and resources should go to something better. Or maybe you don't have faith a current dev team in existence could ever do a sequel justice (Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross as an example of a sequel that didn't stick the landing).

I do not want another Mario Kart for a good while. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still a solid game that hits pretty much all of the MK notes a system installment needs. Sure, they could try something new to refresh the game/genre, but I'd rather see Nintendo focus on other great racing titles. F-Zero, Diddy Kong/Donkey Kong Racing, Excite Bike/Truck/Bots. There are plenty of ways Nintendo could scratch the racing itch while also meeting other needs on the system.

Another series I have no desire to see is another Golden Sun. I think aside from being a pretty demo of the GBA graphical capabilities it was a very basic and lackluster set of games. This is also borne out of me not wanting to see Issac or whoever from the series in Smash as there are more deserving games and series that deserve representation.

What about everyone else? What games do you NOT want to see sequels to? What is better off left in the past?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Games you DON'T want to see come out
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:43:04 PM »
At my old age, I feel like I can very easily ignore a game I don’t want or need at the moment. Just because I don’t want something doesn’t mean someone else feels the same way. I wouldn’t want to take that away from someone else.

To play along, most Nintendo IPs from a plot perspective, or Metroid and Zelda. I live with the fact that Nintendo’s games do not exist to tell good stories though some do in spite of Nintendo. Just DON’T make me sit through a bad one. Nintendo is at its best when it sets the stage then gets out of the way. Even Breath of the Wild had too many cutscenes.

Also, remakes of good games. Why do companies remake good games? They’re already good. Remake the bad ones, and make them good.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:35:49 PM »
There are lots of movies/books/TV shows where I feel the story concluded in a very satisfying way and there is no reason to go back to it.  The story is told, you told it well, leave on a high note.

But videogames are different because they're not just based on narrative.  Often videogame sequels are actually better because they refine the gameplay mechanics.  So when I think of how to make a sequel to a game I don't think primarily about the story but more about how the gameplay could be improved or expanded upon.

So in that sense something like Mario, where the story is irrelevant, can keep making sequels forever provided they still have good gameplay ideas.  If the gameplay gets stale and the level design becomes dull then you call it a day.

I don't want to see more DKC Returns games.  I just don't really like them.  Hard to describe why but I don't find them fun.  Also Retro Studios only releases one game at a time and I feel they're clearly talented so I would like them working on something a little more ambitious than a 2D platformer.

I also don't want to see more Metal Gear Solid games since they won't have Kojima and that series really is his baby and wouldn't be the same without him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:20:02 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 01:56:53 PM »
This is a really hard one to figure out. There's lots of games or franchises I don't have any particular positive feelings about, but to actually say that they should NOT come out and basically be restricted? That's a very high bar to meet to say that other people can't enjoy another game in that vein if that's what they're there for.

I guess maybe another Mother title? Itoi seems to be completely done with that series and I can't imagine going forward with it in light of its creator's refusal. Maybe way down the line it can be revived as another creator's vision, but right now it'd feel probably too much like disrespecting Itoi's wishes.

So I guess basically if a creator centrally important to a game's spirit says it's "done", then we shouldn't be trying to overrule them to exploit that IP against their wishes. Similar I guess to how Bill Watterson resolutely refuses that Calvin and Hobbes be used in mass licensed merchandising, we should 100% respect that.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »
I wouldn't want to play a game where the object is to put ghost peppers in your urethra. I'm not sure how you would turn that into a video game, but the idea of it is unpleasant.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »
Another release of Urban Champion.

Heck, most NES games at this point unless developers want to remake them like Metroid Zero Mission's rethink of Metroid NES.

Saw this image the other day of Mega Man:

If the early Mega Man games looked a bit like that or their Smash representation then I'd have a greater desire to playing them instead of seeing this:

2D Platformers today can have some beautiful and fluid animations and visuals today:

I'm more likely to play (and did play) the latter over the former because it is visually more striking and knowing that it was made with modern game design and not the home arcade type of design that the NES and early GB games had. Update and refine those games and I think you could spark new interest and appeal to people gaming today rather then having to provide caveats and qualifiers about why the game is good or understanding why it plays the way it does to newer or younger gamers learning about them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:50:22 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 03:39:49 AM »
Khushrenda:  I actually disagree with your take because Mega Man NES games hold up better visually to me than the SNES updates.  The style is just perfect.  However, the difficulty of those games are just too much for me.  But I love them dearly.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 04:29:11 AM »
How about Wario Wears.  A dress up game for Wario and Luigi.  I don't want to see that. 

Or Waluigi's Birds and the Bees.  An educational Visual Novel about puberty and reproduction.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »
Khushrenda:  I actually disagree with your take because Mega Man NES games hold up better visually to me than the SNES updates.  The style is just perfect.  However, the difficulty of those games are just too much for me.  But I love them dearly.

Agreed. The Visuals of Mega Man are definitely NES era but they're readable and have a distinct style, and more importantly I think the Gameplay is solid and not arcane. Of course, the games tend towards difficulty so much that I can only beat Cut-Man's stage in the original Mega Man! ^_^'

Urban Champion though... Ooof that's a pretty good answer for this thread's topic.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 04:33:46 PM »
How about Wario Wears.  A dress up game for Wario and Luigi.  I don't want to see that. 

Or Waluigi's Birds and the Bees.  An educational Visual Novel about puberty and reproduction.

Sweet Georgia Brown!! You came up with two great game ideas and dismissed them both!

I can see WarioWears being like a Savvy Style game only with Mushroom Kingdom characters. Help design clothes and party decor for Pauline and opening night of New Donk's City Jazz Festival, design the clothes and ball room for a Toad and Toadette's Wedding Party, or put together the party decor and design clothes for Peach and others at the Annual Mushroom Kingdom Fireworks Festival. You can design things more traditional with Mona, more gothic with Ashley, more Nintendo flavored with 9-Volt or completely garish with the Wario man himself! See the party and events play out after you've designed them. What a game!

And as for the Waluigi game, I would tweak it slightly more to a dating sim game as Waluigi tries to find love and his romantic misadventures. That has the makings of comedy gold!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »
Going back to an earlier point, I guess things got a bit sidetracked by using Mega Man as an example.

(Although I think you defenders are wrong. What is the downside to having Mega Man games freshened up like Metroid: Zero Mission? Seems like a win to have better controls for combat and more detailed environments. Ducktales Remastered vs Ducktakes NES? You're telling me the NES game is still better?)

However, the main point was to NES games in general. I get its cheap for the publishers and developers to just keep re-releasing these 30 year old games again and again on new hardware but I have to think interest in them has fallen from the Wii VC days. If we are remastering and remaking games that are 20 years or less already like Spyro, Crash, FF7 or Shadow of the Colossus then why isn't the same being done for those NES titles? I get some people are nostalgic for the pixel and 8-bit look but I'm not saying those have to be deleted or unavailable from now on. However, if you want to breath new life and renew gaming interest in some of these franchises or titles then I don't think re-releasing the same old NES rom on Switch 2 is going to do it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 12:48:37 AM »
Going back to an earlier point, I guess things got a bit sidetracked by using Mega Man as an example.

(Although I think you defenders are wrong. What is the downside to having Mega Man games freshened up like Metroid: Zero Mission? Seems like a win to have better controls for combat and more detailed environments. Ducktales Remastered vs Ducktakes NES? You're telling me the NES game is still better?)

However, the main point was to NES games in general. I get its cheap for the publishers and developers to just keep re-releasing these 30 year old games again and again on new hardware but I have to think interest in them has fallen from the Wii VC days. If we are remastering and remaking games that are 20 years or less already like Spyro, Crash, FF7 or Shadow of the Colossus then why isn't the same being done for those NES titles? I get some people are nostalgic for the pixel and 8-bit look but I'm not saying those have to be deleted or unavailable from now on. However, if you want to breath new life and renew gaming interest in some of these franchises or titles then I don't think re-releasing the same old NES rom on Switch 2 is going to do it.

The problem is Capcom DID freshen up the Mega Man Games with Mega 8 for Super Nintendo and Mega Man X series.  Mega Man X as a series is brilliant, but I won't lie I though the X and Extreme look look some of the appeal from it.  I could have used all the gameplay enhancements and had classic Mega art and be happy. 

The thing is that Mega Man was simplistic but it was beautifully simplistic much better than the modern retro games, and I think Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 the Retro Style sequels show that...it looks better than Mega Man 11.  Now, the slow down and difficulty which is partly because of the technology back then being limited, and partly because creators were still mastering the craft of design. 

And about my joke games...I actually could See Nintendo pulling both of those off, but I was making jokes.  Wario Wears is probably the easier sell.  But a comedy of Waluigi trying to find love and having bizarre silly and non-factual information about relationships would be hilarious. 

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 09:36:33 AM »
Any more Paper Mario games.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »
Any more Paper Mario games.

;D

Awwww. And I heard they were already working on the next game Paper Mario: The RPG Sequel You've All Been Waiting For. Well, guess that's the end of that.

Offline Michie_

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 02:54:04 PM »
I would definitely want a new Mario Kart. I love 8 but I'm getting bored with it after playing it for years

Offline TheHumbleSavage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2021, 05:42:56 PM »
one franchise I really don't wanna see get a new game coming soon is those godforsaken Raving Rabbids....

Hate em, they, Assassin's Creed, & Just Dance killed our boy Rayman.

Offline TheHumbleSavage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2021, 05:51:26 PM »
My hatred for the Rabbids is unlimited, they,Bubsy Bobcat, & CID The Dummy are the worst game characters IMO ever because they're annoying,unlikeable,dumb,insufferable, and ruin everything, not to mention they're examples of poorly written idiot heroes as the Rabbids are just jerks IMO, they ruin everything for Rayman & Friends and act cruel to characters like Rayman, in Mario+Rabbids 1 and 2 they started the whole events because of their own stupidity yet you never see Mario & Co at least give them comeuppance for their actions as rather than beat them up and abuse them they just accept them and all is forgiven, wow, lame ending, their actions could get them arrested too, plus along with AC and JD they are part of the main reason why we haven't gotten a new main series Rayman game.
IMO all their merchandise is terrible, their TV Show sucks, their games (IMO even the Mario crossover because they could have chosen Rayman! Why not him? They just chose the Rabbids because they thought they would work better when IMO they don't!) all are trash, and one thing I like is seeing the Rabbids get abused and beat up and punished in all kinds of ways, the Rabbid abuse I approve of, serves them right for us Rayman fans who hate them.

if you like them,Bubsy, & CID I respect your opinion, but I conclude that in my opinion the Rabbids aren't worth my time and if I wasn't wasting my time with these sad excuses for a mascot then nobody else should.

End of Story. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 04:09:28 AM »
one franchise I really don't wanna see get a new game coming soon is those godforsaken Raving Rabbids....

Just Dance is innocent in this. Great game series and fun for a lot of people at my office.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 10:55:26 AM »

Kind of hard to say they killed Rayman when Rayman Origins and Legends did get released to critical acclaim while the Rabbids seemed to be running out of steam at the point. Slow sales for Rayman Legends seemed to have killed Rayman more than those other series. There was a Rabbids game at the launch of the Wii or close to it with Rabbids Land. Rayman Legends came out much later. I didn't think there was another Rabbids game until Mario + Rabbids but looking over the series on Wikipedia, I see there were some other games for mobile and XBox/PS. That said, I think most gamers had stopped caring about the Rabbids around the time Wii U launched and Rayman was gaining popularity again with Origins but the delays of Legends being released seemed to have killed some possible momentum for your boy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 07:00:16 PM »
Mario & Rabbids did very well, enough to get a sequel, but I don’t think the Rabbids were a huge part of that, it’s just a great game that happens to include them. 
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 07:27:31 PM »
Another release of Urban Champion.

Heck, most NES games at this point unless developers want to remake them like Metroid Zero Mission's rethink of Metroid NES.

Saw this image the other day of Mega Man:...
I agree with you on this point, but I think choosing Mega Man as an example was probably a bad idea as you saw from the responses, even though I actually agree with it as well. It seems to be some of the most popular pixel art, plus fans also didn't like the games which aren't 8-bit, so for better or worse everyone associates it with NES-style. It's a shame games like Mega Man 8 poisoned the waters since I think the series has a lot of untapped potential with more advanced hardware.