Poll

Which game should RFN podcast crew and listeners play and discuss for RetroActive?

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)
27 (42.9%)
Pokemon Pinball (GB/GBC Dual-Mode)
8 (12.7%)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (GBC)
4 (6.3%)
Wario Land 3 (GBC)
16 (25.4%)
Metal Gear Solid a.k.a. Ghost Babel (GBC)
8 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 01:27:32 AM

Author Topic: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition  (Read 30340 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
I don't want to sidetrack this discussion any more, but I do have the dusty old plans got the GB feature. Once I finish the one I'm on (which is really just waiting for Neal's DSiWare feature. You all should be reading that, btw) I have three in the works behind it. It is #2 at the moment, but I'm willing to shift it based on need.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 07:33:40 PM »
"Wario Land 3" all the way! It's so great!

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
A year ago my pal handed me a working Game Boy. I then went out to hunt for Metroid 2 and now I know why all of that had to happen. Make it so!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
I've changed my vote to Wario Land 3, considering it's the only game I'd like to hear about that has any chance of winning this poll.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
Vudu is dead to me.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
Metroid's been discussed to death.  In fact, I'm surprised it's even included in this poll since Jonny made it clear that he wanted to steer the direction of the polls towards games most people haven't played before.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
Wario Land 3 is a great game. I might even play it again if it doesn't win (don't let that dissuade you from voting for it!). Hopefully the 3DS will include a VC feature so we can do these more often-the selection of GB games is so huge!
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »
Metroid's been discussed to death.  In fact, I'm surprised it's even included in this poll since Jonny made it clear that he wanted to steer the direction of the polls towards games most people haven't played before.

I wonder how many on here have played Metroid II but not played Wario Land 3.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »
Metroid II was the first Metroid game I ever played, and I hated it. Now that I've become a fan of the series it'd be interesting to try it again. Unfortunately, I have no means of playing Game Boy games; I was recently bidding on a Classic NES GBA SP, but I lost.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
Metroid II was the first Metroid game I ever played, and I hated it. Now that I've become a fan of the series it'd be interesting to try it again. Unfortunately, I have no means of playing Game Boy games; I was recently bidding on a Classic NES GBA SP, but I lost.

As cool as the design for that is, you'd be better of getting a SP+ with the improved screen.  It's the best portable for GB/GBC/GBA games.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 02:34:30 AM »

Where and by whom has it been discussed to death? I feel confident in saying that Metroid II is the least played game in that series, and moreover, it might actually be even more a departure than Fusion.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 03:27:14 AM »
Games mentioned once seem to become classified as 'talked about to death'. Every poll seems to have one title that is accused of such.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 04:46:18 AM »

Where and by whom has it been discussed to death? I feel confident in saying that Metroid II is the least played game in that series, and moreover, it might actually be even more a departure than Fusion.

Not to play Devil's Advocate or anything but you guy's were discussing it back in Januaryish 2009. I don't think the other games had come up much at all.
Looking at the list again Pinball might be an interesting talk if nothing then becasue I gave that a try for the first time a few months back just looking for another decent pinball game for GBA. It seemed kinda shallow at the time, but knowing Nintendo I probably just wasn't looking hard enough at it. (Or I've just been playing Pinball of the Dead too long and am forever tainted)
"Fear of blood tends to create fear of the flesh"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
vudu always complains about RetroActive. I think the only time he was truly happy is when we played Ninja Spirit (a game he championed all the way). And I actually like Ninja Spirit, but it was pretty shallow for RetroActive.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »
I remember listening to that podcast. You all seemed to have similar opinions that it was a good/decent game but pretty short and not much to talk about (meaning it is a terrible choice to talk about to RetroActive).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »

Metroid has been discussed to death.  And while Metroid II isn't exactly the same as the other games in the series, it's close enough that I feel like I've had my fill.

vudu always complains about RetroActive. I think the only time he was truly happy is when we played Ninja Spirit (a game he championed all the way). And I actually like Ninja Spirit, but it was pretty shallow for RetroActive.

What can I say--I like to complain.  ;D

Maybe my problem is I don't view the purpose of RetroActive the same way others do.  I don't look at it as an excuse to replay my favorite games.  I like to think of it as a way to discover and discuss games I'm not familiar with.  Besides Ninja Spirit, I also really enjoyed the RetroActives on Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts and Shining Force II (two games I've never played before) as well as Luigi's Mansion and Secret of Mana (both of which I had only played once before a long time ago).

I love Mario, Zelda and Metroid but I've played all these games before and I've read/listened to/discussed pretty much everything there is about them--I just don't feel like anyone here going to be able to say much about these game that hasn't been said before.  (Except for the part about the Goombas in Super Mario World--I'm still floored that I managed to go 18 years without learning that the walking crab-apples were actually Goombas.)

Again, sorry if I seem like a prick--it's honestly not my intent.  I love the idea of the feature but I've been a little let down by the selections we've made.  I think we'd get more interesting selections if you stopped polling us and just chose the games between the 4 of you.   Or maybe switched off every other time.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
I was let down by Ninja Spirit and Ghosts N Goblins too, so I have to agree vudu, some of the choices have been terrible.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
Maybe we can have an 'RFN host's choice' RA from time to time where they do pick the game for us. They already do it sometimes like with Geist. Granted that was for a special reason but I have no problem with them occasionally choosing the title for us. Though the whole nomination/voting part of the feature is very fun for me. If I remember it was the RA feature that got me to finally join the forums because I wanted to have a say in the games that were selected and possibly have my comments read on the air. Participation like that is fun.

I was let down by Ninja Spirit and Ghosts N Goblins too, so I have to agree vudu, some of the choices have been terrible.

The way you were trying to strong arm my vote in the Ninja Spirit poll was rather funny in retrospect, GP. I felt like a store clerk talking to someone in the mafia offering me 'protection' if I went along with your opinion ;)

Not to mention the guilt tripping you tried to give me. You almost changed my mind too.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »
I mean, we're not all gonna love the same games. I really couldn't stand all the Shining Force 2 discussion, but I recognized that it's just not my kind of game. I'm sure other listeners were loving it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »
We would have to rotate who gets to pick, because there is no way on EARTH we could ever agree on anything.

It might be interesting if we were tasked with finding an obscure game in an area (be it a system, a developer, an era, a genre, etc) that we are deemed an "expert" in. We could open the floor to "who should pick, and under what parameter."

For example, vudu could suggest the following: "I want Jon to pick any game from the Hoop and Stick Entertainment System, since that's what he grew up with."
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Are you kidding? Jon lived through the K-T extinction. After that sh*t, they had to make up brand NEW games.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
I voted for WL3, not because I'm lame (I am, but it's not the reason I voted for WL), but because I've never completed it back in the day.

How expensive or hard to find is Gargoyle's Quest? I would have loved to see that game in the poll. Actually I expected more 3rd party games on there, and Gargoyle's Quest is not only really good, it's also short, giving everyone a chance to actually finish it before discussing it.

Oh well...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I like Gargoyle's Quest, but Demon's Crest (SNES) is much better. I would love to discuss that one on the show, especially if it ever comes to Virtual Console. (Why the hell hasn't it already?)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »
Revival?!?

I would be willing to help out with that if the staff aren't eager to move on a GB feature. My name is, after all, greybrick. The classic GB is where I got my gaming start, and some of the most memorable titles I have played are on that system. Since I am a lowly reader perhaps I can be the Anurognathus to the staff's Diplodocus :P
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »
Maybe my problem is I don't view the purpose of RetroActive the same way others do.  I don't look at it as an excuse to replay my favorite games.  I like to think of it as a way to discover and discuss games I'm not familiar with.

And how many here have actually played Metroid II?  Probably not many.

I've got my copy on the way from eBay ($10 including shipping).  If I have to replace the battery then it will be another $5.  I hope Metroid II wins obviously, but if not, at least I will have a game that I've always wanted to try but just never had the chance.