Author Topic: 3DS Helps Nintendo Achieve Profitable Quarter, Wii U Sales Falter  (Read 8713 times)

Offline paleselan

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 3DS Helps Nintendo Achieve Profitable Quarter, Wii U Sales Falter
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »
Last quarter was April, May and June.  The only Wii U game released in that time was a crappy Wario Ware spinoff at the very end of June.  In comparison this Fall has a main Sonic, Donkey Kong, Mario & Sonic, 3D Mario, Wii Party, and Wii Fit.  Also Nintendo hardware always gets a huge increase during the holiday season.

Once again this is just like the original DS and 3DS.  Both systems sold like **** at first because of lack of games, but when the major titles started coming out sales increased.  Hell, for the 3DS, Mario 3D Land and Mario 3D Kart alone carried the system during the 2011 holiday in the West into the first half of 2012.  The Wii U has one of the strongest holiday lineups in Nintendo history this Fall and has Mario Kart 8 coming out in the first half of 2014.

The 3DS is currently showing that Nintendo software is still very popular.  Once the Wii U starts getting the games it'll be just fine as well.

The 3DS/DS NEVER sold this bad.
Check out my NintendoNetwork64 Youtube channel and website:
https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoNetwork64
https://www.NN64.org

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 01:41:40 AM »
The 3DS/DS NEVER sold this bad.

And that means nothing.  When the DS was selling terrible in 2005, people thought the system was doomed because the GBA never sold numbers that low.  Then when the PSP came out and was actually outselling the DS by a large margin each month, people took it as a sign Nintendo had finally lost it's handheld market and that their audience was going to move on to the PSP.  Despite the fact the DS big games hadn't been released yet and the PSP was aiming at a different demographic then Nintendo handhelds, people still declared the system was finished.

And yet when the games where finally released for the DS at the end of 2005, sales increased by a lot.  Of course, even then the sales didn't truly lite on fire and become the monster it would be until the DS Lite and New Super Mario Bros were released in Summer 2006.

So it doesn't matter if the Wii U sales are lower then any previous Nintendo system right now because the system has no current major titles and is too expensive.  Once the games come out this Fall, and the price is hopefully cut the sales will finally increase.  I don't know why this is so hard for some of you to understand?  Now if the Wii U is still selling this bad next year then yes, the system will be fucked because it means Nintendo's big titles had no effect.  But right now, it's way too early to say the system is doomed when several of their biggest franchises have yet to be released and were huge hits on their previous console and currently huge on the 3DS as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 01:45:57 AM »
So it doesn't matter if the Wii U sales are lower then any previous Nintendo system right now because the system has no current major titles and is too expensive.  Once the games come out this Fall, and the price is hopefully cut the sales will finally increase.  I don't know why this is so hard for some of you to understand?  Now if the Wii U is still selling this bad next year then yes, the system will be fucked because it means Nintendo's big titles had no effect.  But right now, it's way too early to say the system is doomed when several of their biggest franchises have yet to be released and were huge hits on their previous console and currently huge on the 3DS as well.

And people say I'M an asshole.  Sheesh.  ::)

I think you reach too far declaring the Wii's recovery an absolute just because "that's what's always happened before".  There are an awful lot of things in this industry that have failed over this past generation despite history showing that "it's always succeeded before".  I don't see any indication that Nintendo will be any different.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 01:55:06 AM »
I don't see him saying that the Wii U's recovery is "an absolute".  In fact, right in his post, it says things like "if the Wii U is still selling this bad next year" and "it's way too early to say the system is doomed"

Sounds like he's being cautiously optimistic.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »
I honestly think Wii U will be fine. Nintendo tried selling hardware without much compelling software. This isn't rocket science. Expecting a 3DS-like turnaround is probably being a bit too optimistic though.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
The idea that the Wii U is "too expensive" is probably as much a sign then anything else.  You can probably throw a dart and find a thread where I've made the price comparison so I won't bore you here.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.