Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 420245 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #875 on: August 20, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
You want a movie? Play the game because it has 2 hours worth of cutscenes. There.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 20, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
Holy CRAP that was cool. Officially psyched.

HOW IS THERE NOT A METROID MOVIE YET?

They were making a Metroid Movie years ago, after the first Prime came out. Got canned after a while.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 20, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
A Metroid movie would suck because videogame movies always suck.  Talented directors think that vidoegames are beneath them so those films get assigned to the hacks who have stupid ideas.  I think it's honestly that simple.  Metroid: The Movie would be an embarassing mess full of bad CG and stupid dialog.

Metroid is really about isolation.  To do it right you need the main character to more or less be alone for almost the whole film.  Do you expect the sort of directors who work on videogame films to get that and, if they somehow do, do a good job?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 20, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »
A Metroid movie would suck because videogame movies always suck.  Talented directors think that vidoegames are beneath them so those films get assigned to the hacks who have stupid ideas.  I think it's honestly that simple.

Hey, Silent Hill turned out alright and the director of that film certainly had a great deal of respect for the games.  It wasn't a perfect movie, but it was still a pretty good adaptation of the first game.  And, incidentally, the first half of the Silent Hill film is very similar to how a Metroid film would work, with an emphasis on isolation.

I do agree with you that a Metroid movie probably wouldn't turn out well, but it's not because it couldn't.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:21:40 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 20, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »
I do agree with you that a Metroid movie probably wouldn't turn out well, but it's not because it couldn't.

Well I think a good Metroid movie is possible in theory.  I just don't think it will happen so I'd rather that Metroid, and all Nintendo franchises in general, be left alone by the movie industry.  Someday maybe videogame movies will improve in quality to the point where I could trust that a Metroid movie would turn out all right.  But right now?  No.

Offline Marty

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 20, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »
It's certainly possible that a movie based on the character and events of Metroid could be done well, but I think that the quintessential Metroid experience is something that is wholly unique to gaming, that unique sense of place, the feeling of isolation, and the joy of building up a map of your surroundings through exploration, are experiences which would be difficult to retain in the transition to film.
"I'm just a humble M***** F***** with a big-ass D***"- The Bunk

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 20, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
A Metroid movie would be good if James Cameron directed it.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 20, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »
Just saw the commercial. I came. Twice.

Other M. Do. Want.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 20, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »
If someone is going to write a story or plot for a videogame franchise that would make for a good movie, I'd rather seen it used in a game instead. Finding a way to implement story, plot, and character development into a game without resorting to cutscenes is what they should work toward.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 21, 2010, 02:14:22 AM »
Metroid: The Movie would be an embarassing mess full of bad CG and stupid dialog.

Isn't that what Other M is?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 21, 2010, 04:29:46 AM »
If someone is going to write a story or plot for a videogame franchise that would make for a good movie, I'd rather seen it used in a game instead.

Why can't it be both?
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 21, 2010, 04:44:53 AM »

Well I think a good Metroid movie is possible in theory.  I just don't think it will happen so I'd rather that Metroid, and all Nintendo franchises in general, be left alone by the movie industry.  Someday maybe videogame movies will improve in quality to the point where I could trust that a Metroid movie would turn out all right.  But right now?  No.

You mean you wouldn't trust Uwe Boll to make Metroid? ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 21, 2010, 06:25:16 AM »

You mean you wouldn't trust Uwe Boll to make Metroid? ;)

I wouldn't trust that man to do a video on Youtube.
is your sanity...

Offline balzzzy

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 21, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
Hearing that man's name makes me cringe at the very thought. Blizzard turned him down recently and Hideo Kojima said "Absolutely not! I don't know why Uwe Boll is even talking about this kind of thing. We've never talked to him. It's impossible that we'd ever do a movie with him." I would never want Rocky Morton, Annabel Jankel or Roland Joffé to direct another Nintendo film either. Quite frankly I don't know who I would feel confident about being capable of directing a video game film anymore these days. With all the sequel syndrome that happens. Even Mortal Kombat is getting re-done. I agree with Mop. Integrate everything without the use of cut scenes.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 21, 2010, 07:31:46 PM »
I kind of feel like this game would have been perfect for 3DS. Full SNES layout and more importantly, slider controls.

I cannot wait to play this game! Ugh, so close....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 21, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
If someone is going to write a story or plot for a videogame franchise that would make for a good movie, I'd rather seen it used in a game instead.
Why can't it be both?
Because then, either one or both of them would end up being not as good as it could be (probably the videogame version. See: every movie licence videogame ever).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 21, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
I sure hope Kraid shows up again in Metroid: Other M

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 21, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »

I'd appreciate it if we had all new Metroid bosses instead.  Ridley, especially, is way overexposed in the series.  Besides, this game has more than enough Super Metroid fanservice as it is.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 21, 2010, 09:50:45 PM »

I'd appreciate it if we had all new Metroid bosses instead.  Ridley, especially, is way overexposed in the series.  Besides, this game has more than enough Super Metroid fanservice as it is.

Kraid hasn't been visualized in a 3D metroid game yet, I'd hardly say he is even close to being overdone, he has been 2 whole Metroid games, Metroid 1 and Super Metroid (I guess you can count Metroid Zero Mission even though that is a remake). Why can't you have both? Classic villains returning along with new ones can be wonderful if handled correctly. Ridley is the bowser or Ganon of the Metroid series so I understand why he is in them even if I may not be a fan of Ridley.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:00:43 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 21, 2010, 10:19:52 PM »
'Wonderful'? I allllllready killed them. When the bad guys keep coming back to life am I supposed to feel nostalgic and happy inside?

It's like winning the Special Zombie Olympics: even if you win, the retards keep coming after you. Eventually I'm not going to want to participate, not even for charity.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 21, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »
'Wonderful'? I allllllready killed them. When the bad guys keep coming back to life am I supposed to feel nostalgic and happy inside?

It's like winning the Special Zombie Olympics: even if you win, the retards keep coming after you. Eventually I'm not going to want to participate, not even for charity.

The bad guys can be cloned. I take you hate the Mario games then? Villains always come back in them, or Zelda? Nostalgia mixed with fresh elements can be a very good experience. It is like when the Koopa Kids returned in Mario and Luigi, it was a fun moment for fans of the series. It is ridiculous that Kraid never made an appearance in any of the 3D games, while Ridley is in every single one of them besides Metroid 2. Not only that but Kraid has potential be an awesome and intimidating boss considering his size. Also it is a shame that one of the two bosses of the first Metroid has never had the chance to be put into 3D.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:40:59 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 21, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
You're just making my point. Sure there's cloning in science fiction and it's plausibly perfected in other places of the universe but Mario games? How does an anthropomorphized dino-turtle man do it in a world inhabited by primitive mushroom-men and turtles? Or in Zelda, which is supposedly in the middle ages long before genetics were studied? It's absurd.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 21, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »
You're just making my point. Sure there's cloning in science fiction and it's plausibly perfected in other places of the universe but Mario games? How does an anthropomorphized dino-turtle man do it in a world inhabited by primitive mushroom-men and turtles? It's absurd.

I was referring to cloning in the Metroid series, it is a subject that has been approached before in it. My point, is that enemies from previous games returning aren't always a bad thing, even though you may be weeping that you killed a digital creature only to see them return later on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:44:43 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 21, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »

The bad guys can be cloned. I take you hate the Mario games then? Villains always come back in them, or Zelda? Nostalgia mixed with fresh elements can be a very good experience. It is like when the Koopa Kids returned in Mario and Luigi, it was a fun moment for fans of the series. It is ridiculous that Kraid never made an appearance in any of the 3D games, while Ridley is in every single one of them.

Here's the key difference, though: Mario, like Zelda for that matter, is a mockery of continuity.  Each branch of that franchise is essentially its own independent universe that shares similar things.  I am sick to death of certain enemies in the Mario universe (like Bowser and Bowser Jr.), but there's nothing really preventing them from being logical bosses in those games.

The Metroid universe, in the other hand, has had a fairly strong emphasis on continuity: each game takes place in a specified point in the timeline and events from each game generally matter in the game that follows.  Given that, it takes a great deal of fun out of the experience knowing that there's no real accomplishment to killing someone like Ridley: he'll just get resurrected for the next game in the line, usually with no explanation for it.  There's permanence to everything in the Metroid franchise except the enemies and it gets kind of tiring after a while in a franchise that's as pseudo-serious as Metroid.  If they're not going to even try to pretend that there's meaning behind taking these bosses down, I'd prefer new bosses that can be perma-killed.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 21, 2010, 10:46:55 PM »

The bad guys can be cloned. I take you hate the Mario games then? Villains always come back in them, or Zelda? Nostalgia mixed with fresh elements can be a very good experience. It is like when the Koopa Kids returned in Mario and Luigi, it was a fun moment for fans of the series. It is ridiculous that Kraid never made an appearance in any of the 3D games, while Ridley is in every single one of them.

Here's the key difference, though: Mario, like Zelda for that matter, is a mockery of continuity.  Each branch of that franchise is essentially its own independent universe that shares similar things.  I am sick to death of certain enemies in the Mario universe (like Bowser and Bowser Jr.), but there's nothing really preventing them from being logical bosses in those games.

The Metroid universe, in the other hand, has had a fairly strong emphasis on continuity: each game takes place in a specified point in the timeline and events from each game generally matter in the game that follows.  Given that, it takes a great deal of fun out of the experience knowing that there's no real accomplishment to killing someone like Ridley: he'll just get resurrected for the next game in the line, usually with no explanation for it.  There's permanence to everything in the Metroid franchise except the enemies and it gets kind of tiring after a while in a franchise that's as pseudo-serious as Metroid.  If they're not going to even try to pretend that there's meaning behind taking these bosses down, I'd prefer new bosses that can be perma-killed.

The thing is that Ridley and Kraid in continuity make sense, the space pirates are lost without their leader Ridley which is why he is cloned. Kraid makes just as much sense since he was a high command space pirate too. In terms of continuity and how the Metroid world is layed out, it makes sense to have both return since they are important to the space pirates and they have the technology to clone them. It would in fact be against established canon to not include them.

Also I would argue that Kraid has untapped potential as a 3D boss fight, he is an interestingly designed character and could prove to be a memorable fight like he was in Super Metroid (though that fight was more memorable because of his size now really the battle itself). He is still my favorite Metroid villain, so I'd be overjoyed if he was brought back for Other M for an epic well designed boss battle. I never really found the bosses in the Prime games all that interesting besides a couple anyway (Sadly Kraid was cut from Metroid Prime, I would have loved to see what Retro would have done with him).  Perhaps I'm a fan of him because he was a true villain back in the first Metroid game and killed me many times before I beat him.

BTW you two must really hate comics where the villains resurface when they were supposedly killed. :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:56:18 PM by GoldenPhoenix »