Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 420263 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #850 on: August 13, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
I've never been one to understand why people want just one game in each Nintendo series per system. I like the games so much that I don't want to have to wait until the next system is released before I get more. Not to mention that, more often than not, whenever a sequel is released on the same system, it is something quite different. Even if it isn't, it's such an improvement or refinement of the previous game (like Super Mario Galaxy 2) that it's still worthwhile.

Things have been like this since the days of the NES. Zelda II was pretty much a completely different game than the first, and to this day I still love it because of that. Super Mario Brothers 3 was huge compared to the original, and Super Mario Brothers 2 was something completely different that I enjoyed. I know some refuse to accept it as a Mario title, but as was stated before, Nintendo has re-appropriated plenty of games over the years. Majora's Mask may have been a "direct sequel" to Ocarina of Time but the only real similarity was using the same game engine. And of course, even more recently, we've gotten both a 3D and 2D Mario platformer all on one system.

What's great about Nintendo franchises is that they are so versatile, as long as fans don't fall into a mindset of what they should be. We can have our 3D and 2D Mario. We can have our first-person and side-scrolling Metroid. We can have our Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. In my eyes, things have never been better.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: August 13, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
I think it depends on the game/series. I can't really justify more than one Mario Kart per generation, for example.

Anyway, I just watched some English dubbed trailer for Other M which basically had Samus narrating the events of Metroid 1-3. Holy crap, the writing is terrible. I know the whole Metroid = baby thing has come up before, but actually hearing it in the trailer made me cringe... a lot. She says baby more than a Justin Bieber song. I'll probably enjoy the game, but goddamn that dialog....

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 13, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
I've never been one to understand why people want just one game in each Nintendo series per system. I like the games so much that I don't want to have to wait until the next system is released before I get more. Not to mention that, more often than not, whenever a sequel is released on the same system, it is something quite different. Even if it isn't, it's such an improvement or refinement of the previous game (like Super Mario Galaxy 2) that it's still worthwhile.

It's just the law of diminishing returns.  I know that no franchise can maintain the same level of quality forever.  My natural impatience wants these out bang, bang, bang so I can enjoy them sooner.  But I know if that happens the series will burn out too fast.  Deep down I know that I will enjoy the series over a longer period of time if the new entires are less frequent.  Eventually the series will no longer be interesting or exciting.  I want that to come along later rather than sooner.  Having a good space between releases also makes each game seem more special.  It's like how when you're a kid you want Christmas every day but as you get older you realize that that would make Christmas no longer special.  I want a new entry in a Nintendo franchise to be a special occasion, not just another day at the office.

The thing is I have already noticed that I am less interested in their franchises as the releases have increased in frequency.  There was a long period of time (too long actually) where there were THREE Metroid games.  That was it.  When Metroid Prime and Fusion were going to come out around the same time it was the biggest deal.  But Metroid games are now frequent enough that a new release has less impact.  We now have Metroid spinoffs too.

When a new Mario game is announced I don't care anymore unless it's a platformer and even then it's not as exciting.  Having Mario doing other things used to be a fun novelty.  Now it's a seasonal occurance.  I know that as things are going in a few short years I won't give a **** at all anymore.  It'll be "new Zelda!" and I'll be all "whatever, I've done Zelda."

If Nintendo spaces these releases out more then I know it will take longer for these franchises to get stale.  And at the same time they free up their teams to release new IP which stands a chance at becoming as beloved as the existing franchises.  So ten years from now if I'm sick of Metroid it won't matter as much because I've got Nintendo Franchise X that is still quite new and delivers a fresh, exciting experience like Metroid did when it was younger.  It's like a good sports team over time replacing their aging stars with new prospects.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 13, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »
I think it depends on the game/series. I can't really justify more than one Mario Kart per generation, for example.
Right, but that's kind of the point. It's just one of many Mario franchise games that have been released, almost all of which are different. If we got only one Mario game per system we'd never have gotten Mario Kart to begin with. Other Nintendo franchises can be this same way. We can have the Prime series as one part of the Metroid franchise, and some sort of side-scrolling Metroid as another part.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 13, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
By contrast, however, I just could not get into Metroid and Super Metroid (and it certainly wasn't for lack of trying.  I think I've tried to play through that game from the beginning at least 4 times now).  Metroid Prime is the game that made me interested in the series again, because it felt like a Sci-Fi Zelda (Zelda being my favorite Nintendo franchsie) with a high degree of immersion with the 1st person perspective.  This placating and pandering to Super Metroid and Fusion fans feels alienating to me, and then you add the control issues on top of it.  Yeah, I'm hoping this doesn't become the new standard for Metroid.

For the record, I'm not saying that I will like this new Metroid M either. Yeah, it is going to be 3rd person, but its a 3D game with what is essentially an NES controller so I have some doubts about how well that will work out. Nevertheless, I will keep an open mind and at least give it a shot before I pass judgement. I did play the Prime games, so its not like I'm judging them without ever having played them. Truth be told, they're okay... but like I said I'm not a fan of first person perspective. I want a game that captures the feel of Super Metroid but being in 3D. Being trapped inside of Samus' suit and viewing the world from inside her helmet makes me feel trapped and claustrophobic. I like the feeling of being open and being able to explore anyway I like.

Remember in Super Metroid how you could get to secret high places by performing hyper jumps and things like that? That was cool! But in First Person it just doesn't feel the same.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: August 13, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
As someone whose first experience with Metroid was Super Metroid on the VC, followed up a week later by Metroid Prime 3, I'd argue that the Prime games perfectly capture the feel of Super Metroid in 3D. I think the first person perspective accentuates the sense of isolation that is a hallmark of the series, and seeing the world through Samus' eyes adds a great feeling to the exploration.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 14, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
Check out this new trailer guys! I hope i'm not late with this.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14256

I still think the speed boost looks kinda awkward but man that sky rocketing jump is so cool. I think this trailer is trying to show how the cinematic cut scenes blend into the story. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 14, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »
Sky Rocketing Jump = Shinespark

And it was in Super Metroid and Fusion. God, I missed that. Doesn't look at cool without the shadow effect but it's still so nice to see it back.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 14, 2010, 08:20:58 PM »
Is that what it was called? As much as I love the move I never remembered the name.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #859 on: August 14, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »
Oh, man.  The new trailer is great. I love it.  And kudos to Adrock for remembering the name of the move in Super Metroid for the "speed jump" as I use to call it way back then.  The one move I could never get to work, though, and it's in the roll footage if you just let the title screen play out in Super Metroid, is the move where Samus can auto-heal herself.  I was always able to create the rotating rings around her for her other "charge" type move, but could never figure out the auto-heal thing.  Oh well.

Oh wait... did I just say that Super Metroid has an auto-heal move?  OH SNAP.

Looks like Metroid: Other M wins again. :)

God, I can't wait to play this game.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 14, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
That trailer was so cool. Come on Nintendo of America, publicize the hell out of that trailer on TV. The world needs to see how awesome Samus is.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 14, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
The one move I could never get to work, though, and it's in the roll footage if you just let the title screen play out in Super Metroid, is the move where Samus can auto-heal herself.
I never did either, I had to look it up. In order for it to work, you have to have less than 50 energy, and have 10 missiles, 10 super missiles, and 10 power bombs, in addition to the 1 power bomb you set to activate it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #862 on: August 15, 2010, 02:07:21 AM »
The one move I could never get to work, though, and it's in the roll footage if you just let the title screen play out in Super Metroid, is the move where Samus can auto-heal herself.
I never did either, I had to look it up. In order for it to work, you have to have less than 50 energy, and have 10 missiles, 10 super missiles, and 10 power bombs, in addition to the 1 power bomb you set to activate it.
I really never had to use the Crystal Flash technique. I usually am nearby a save station when I need to heal or I just farm in one area.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 15, 2010, 06:42:21 AM »
I've seen it used to glitch through the super missile block leading to the area behind Spore Spawn to avoid the fight with that boss and save time. By now they are able to get a super missile into that block without using the crystal flash and it doesn't look nearly as cool on video.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »
Oh, man.  The new trailer is great. I love it.  And kudos to Adrock for remembering the name of the move in Super Metroid for the "speed jump" as I use to call it way back then.  The one move I could never get to work, though, and it's in the roll footage if you just let the title screen play out in Super Metroid, is the move where Samus can auto-heal herself.  I was always able to create the rotating rings around her for her other "charge" type move, but could never figure out the auto-heal thing.  Oh well.

Oh wait... did I just say that Super Metroid has an auto-heal move?  OH SNAP.

Looks like Metroid: Other M wins again. :)

God, I can't wait to play this game.

It looks like that's the way it works in Other: M as well: http://www.vooks.net/story-19453-Metroid-Other-M-hands-on-impressions.html

Another new feature is the capability to recharge your health and inventory. Should your energy be critically low (HP < 50 or so) or should your missile count be depleted, you simply hold 1 and tilt the Wii remote up to regenerate whichever item is nearly depleted first. But note that this only fills a small portion of energy (1 bar) or 10 missiles.

So, if this is correct, then the auto-heal feature is limited in scope and it's use has direct precedence in the Metroid series, but it doesn't look as if it's as difficult to pull it off.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 15, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »
I like how her visor lights up to let you know serious business is about to happen
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
« Reply #866 on: August 15, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
I was reading on another site where someone made a mind numbing revelation of the abbreviation of the title. You guys may have already seen it, but it still kinda floored me of it's obvoiusness.

Metroid: Other M is  M: OM, and if you move the M in front of Other, you get MOther!  Coincidence?
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline balzzzy

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 15, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »
I was reading on another site where someone made a mind numbing revelation of the abbreviation of the title. You guys may have already seen it, but it still kinda floored me of it's obvoiusness.

Metroid: Other M is  M: OM, and if you move the M in front of Other, you get MOther!  Coincidence?
The acronym for Method Other M would be MOM without rearranging any letters. The one part of the opening sequence that was really interesting was when you see a young blonde girl in the fetal position with this energy or something around her before the camera zooms around to her face. One can assume its Samus but Other M could mean anything.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 16, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
Samus is in a fetal position when the out-of-suit blast happens in Super Metroid (on death or crystal spark).

The ads talk about unreliable memories, I hope they won't stick some retarded background on Samus...

Anyway, I think it's best if I leave the thread, the US release is earlier than the PAL one so I want to avoid spoilers.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
I think most people realized that when the name was first mentioned. It's a really stupid title but oh well, a title doesn't make a game.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: August 19, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #871 on: August 19, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »
Holy CRAP that was cool. Officially psyched.

HOW IS THERE NOT A METROID MOVIE YET?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 19, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
Props on that commercial. That was excellent. Now they just need to play it somewhere that it matters.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »
That's one hell of an awesome commercial. Now all they have to do is bombard the airwaves/fibres with it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 20, 2010, 04:38:53 AM »
Holy CRAP that was cool. Officially psyched.

HOW IS THERE NOT A METROID MOVIE YET?

Be careful what you ask for. It might end up being directed by Uwe Boll.

I don't know who directed the Super Mario Bros. movie with Dennis Hopper, but that one was a pile of crap... just because it has the Mario name attached to it doesn't mean it has anything at all to do with Mario, or that its even worth watching. So maybe its for the best that a Metroid movie hasn't been made...
is your sanity...