Author Topic: Strange Video Game Ideas  (Read 10569 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Strange Video Game Ideas
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »
Recently I was in the Wii rumor thread and I made the suggestion that the Wii2 should include ports of all the consoles it is/might emulate on its Virtual Console. I was chastised for this suggestion, of course, and I did notice its ridiculousness, but I can not shake the feeling of having some kind of adapter that allows all the defunct controllers of yest year year to be used on the Virtual Console.

So, this is why I started this thread, so that everyone could share their weird and some what professional ideas for games and consoles.

Since I started this thread I am going to go first and elaborate on my idea of Virtual Console adapter.

Dimensions: The adapter would be about the same size as a 3.5 external HDD enclosure or perhaps a DSL modem. Essentially something that is big enough to accommodate the controller ports, but at the same offering portability.

Console Ports: The sides of the adapter would include ports for each console that is found(or might eventually be found) on the Virtual Console. Here the consoles and controllers:

NES
SNES
N64
Master System
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast
Neo Geo
TG-16
Commodore 64

The Master System, Genesis and Commodore 64 all use the same port(D(9M?), so there would only be one of those ports to accommodate those controllers.

Wired or Wireless:

This is the most intriguing part of my idea. Would there be a USB cord that runs from the adapter to the USB port of the Wii 2? This seems like the most logical answer until I decided that the device should be wireless. How would it be wireless?

Taking the concept of the Wavebird controller, the device would house a AA battery source to power the system. Everytime a button is pressed on any of the controllers, a chip inside the adapter maps that button to a signal that translate to a USB receiver that signals the game being played. This plan would be like plugging a controller into the Wavebird to play games. I like this plan, but cost, power supply and practicality seems like it would keep the adapter from happening.

If the adapter was wired, it could depend on the Wii 2 for power and mapping buttons.

Retail price:  $14.99 or $19.99
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:03:38 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Video Game Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »
i don't think that's a bad idea, all they really need to do is just create adapters for the usb port, and support usb drivers for these adapters. All you need to do is include a disc with drivers for these adapters. That sounds way too complex for Nintendo.

A simpler solution is to just create more types of classic controller.

or even crazier, include keyboard support for every classic game, and then just have the adapters pretend they are keyboards
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:36:44 PM »
i don't think that's a bad idea, all they really need to do is just create adapters for the usb port, and support usb drivers for these adapters. All you need to do is include a disc with drivers for these adapters. That sounds way too complex for Nintendo.

A simpler solution is to just create more types of classic controller.

or even crazier, include keyboard support for every classic game, and then just have the adapters pretend they are keyboards

The whole point of the virtual console is nostalgia. The only way to truelly enjoy these games is by using their original interfaces. This adapter would make that possible and might very well spur Virtual Console sales and that is a good thing.

As for the classic controllers, I was baffled that Nintendo and the other companies supporting supporting VC had never released classic controllers of their respective retro consoles. To play Neo Geo games all you need to do is plug it into the wiimote.

But we are living in the twenty-first century, right? What is with all these cords? I would not mind having wireless VC controllers. The only problem with this size and cost. I imagine that the technology that Nintendo used to make the Wavebird could be implemented into all these retro controllers. I find the idea of a wireless Genesis controller that is the same size as the original very appealing, including the other controllers, too.

Remember when I mentioned how Nintendo could bypass the controller situation if they were to include Gamecube emulation on the VC and remove its ports? I said that they could include a built in Wavebird reciever as a chip inside the console. All you would need is a Wavebird controller(s) and then set the channel for each individual controller to a frequency via a speciel menu. They could do the same with all the wireless VC controllers that I mentioned above.

The problem with my adapter idea is will it include just one port for each controller? What the N64, which included four ports? I am not sure how this could be accomodated, but how many multi-player VC titles are there anyway?

If the device is wireless, wouldn't drain power? What kind of power source would it use?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
Here is another idea involving the Virtual Console, but this time it does not have anything to do with the controllers. This involves holographic system built into the Wii2 console. This kind of technology is far off in the future but I have a good idea of how to implement it.

Everytime you activate a virtual console game, the holo technology inside the cosnole turns the Wii 2 into whatever console being emulated and the VC game shows up as a cartridge. When the system is shut off, it converts back to the Wii 2. For example, I am going to play Gunstar Heroes and when I turn the game the Wii 2 turns into the Genesis with the Gunstar Heroes cartridge sticking out. The same goes for everything eles. There you go, a shape shifting console.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »
Why stop at just having the controller ports for every system?

How about having the cartridge/disc ports for EVERY system ever made built into the console as well, along with using the actual same internal components to ensure complete 100% compatibility with every game and peripheral ever made?

This behemoth system would be about the size of a stereo cabinet, and would be so incredibly heavy that consumers would need to use a hand cart to load it into their vehicles. Did I mention that this console would also include every controller and peripheral ever made as well? That means it would have to come in a box at least the size of a refrigerator, and this of course would make it even heavier and so bulky that a pickup truck would now be necessary to deliver it home.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »

How about having the cartridge/disc ports for EVERY system ever made built into the console as well, along with using the actual same internal components to ensure complete 100% compatibility with every game and peripheral ever made?

This behemoth system would be about the size of a stereo cabinet, and would be so incredibly heavy that consumers would need to use a hand cart to load it into their vehicles. Did I mention that this console would also include every controller and peripheral ever made as well? That means it would have to come in a box at least the size of a refrigerator, and this of course would make it even heavier and so bulky that a pickup truck would now be necessary to deliver it home.

Try again, Chozo. Thank you for trying. *Places Dunce cap onto Chozo's head.*
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:08:00 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

You realise that he was being sarcastic, right?  -_-'
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 04:26:22 PM »
The thread title needs to be changed from "Strange Video Game Ideas" to "Dumbass Video Game Ideas"

I was trying to do a parody of you, so if I've earned a Dunce cap then my mission was accomplished.
is your sanity...

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »
I'd like Nintendo re-release old handhelds from the Game Boy line. I'm totally serious. A collector like me would eat that sh*t up with a spoon. Do you know how much I'd like to play my GBC games on an actual working GBC? Or my GB games on a GB Pocket?

They could release them on the system's anniversary or something. They'd be cheap to produce, too.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »
The thing with the controller ports idea is that you could just have four controller ports and have adapters to allow for the classic designs.  No console has had more than 4 ports.  You use adapters that plug in the ports and then you're set.

As a teen I though of how a universal system would work and how it would have to support all old systems.  Not like the VC, I mean it has the ability to play the physical copies of the games.  Having a disc drive would take care of a lot of them but what about cartridges?  I came up with the idea to have tons of different slots on the top of the unit for the different types of cartridges.  I was cool with using one controller type, designed to work with all of the supported models but I never thought of the obvious idea of having ONE cartridge slot with adapters Super Game Boy style for the specific types.  I called my design "the toaster" because of all the slots it would have on top.

Nowadays I think of the idea of adapters for both cartridges and controllers.  I however still think of the idea of a system that doesn't use emulation but has the guts of the old systems inside it.  The idea is that this would make sure things work EXACTLY as you expect them to.  Some space can be saved for backwards compatible stuff.  I don't need to put a PS1 in there because a PS2 will handle both.  Same with a Genesis (it has the guts of the Sega Master System) or a GBA.  Taking a step further some popular processors are used in multiple systems.  The Motorola 68000 and Zilog Z80 appear in multiple machines and are also used in many arcade machines so you can save space by using one chip to share over the multiple consoles.  Of course I don't really know what I'm doing.  I'm just assuming in theory that the same chip will work.  The Genesis uses a 7.67 MHz 68000 while the Neo-Geo uses a 12 MHz one.  So could you just use the more advanced Neo-Geo one and it would work for both?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
The thread title needs to be changed from "Strange Video Game Ideas" to "Dumbass Video Game Ideas"

I was trying to do a parody of you, so if I've earned a Dunce cap then my mission was accomplished.

I will make a deal with you, Chozo. How about you stay out of the topics that I create since they offend you so much? For the threads that other people create, you are free to express your opinion as much  as me or any one else because we all share this forum.

As for the dunce cap, I was being sarcastic as well.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:26:53 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
The thing with the controller ports idea is that you could just have four controller ports and have adapters to allow for the classic designs.  No console has had more than 4 ports.  You use adapters that plug in the ports and then you're set.

As a teen I though of how a universal system would work and how it would have to support all old systems.  Not like the VC, I mean it has the ability to play the physical copies of the games.  Having a disc drive would take care of a lot of them but what about cartridges?  I came up with the idea to have tons of different slots on the top of the unit for the different types of cartridges.  I was cool with using one controller type, designed to work with all of the supported models but I never thought of the obvious idea of having ONE cartridge slot with adapters Super Game Boy style for the specific types.  I called my design "the toaster" because of all the slots it would have on top.

Nowadays I think of the idea of adapters for both cartridges and controllers.  I however still think of the idea of a system that doesn't use emulation but has the guts of the old systems inside it.  The idea is that this would make sure things work EXACTLY as you expect them to.  Some space can be saved for backwards compatible stuff.  I don't need to put a PS1 in there because a PS2 will handle both.  Same with a Genesis (it has the guts of the Sega Master System) or a GBA.  Taking a step further some popular processors are used in multiple systems.  The Motorola 68000 and Zilog Z80 appear in multiple machines and are also used in many arcade machines so you can save space by using one chip to share over the multiple consoles.  Of course I don't really know what I'm doing.  I'm just assuming in theory that the same chip will work.  The Genesis uses a 7.67 MHz 68000 while the Neo-Geo uses a 12 MHz one.  So could you just use the more advanced Neo-Geo one and it would work for both?

I had a similar idea where a corded adapter with a USB plug that goes into the Wii 2 on one end and a port for each controller attached to end of each cord. Basically one of those USB hubs, but with the one single cord and the plug-ins replaced with Genesis and NES, etc, controller ports.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:44:32 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
this is why i don't get rid of my old consoles
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
The only controller ports a console needs these days are USB ports, and even that really isn't completely necessary because Bluetooth can also do the job. The Wii has only 2 USB ports in the back, but those quickly get ate up by things like Wii Speak and whatever else. 4 more in the front would have been nice.

Then all you really need is an adapter which can link old SNES or NES or Genesis or whatever controllers to the USB. The point of USB is that its universal, so if you do everything through that then you don't need to retain controller ports for the 3 dozen obsolete systems.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
The only controller ports a console needs these days are USB ports, and even that really isn't completely necessary because Bluetooth can also do the job. The Wii has only 2 USB ports in the back, but those quickly get ate up by things like Wii Speak and whatever else. 4 more in the front would have been nice.

Then all you really need is an adapter which can link old SNES or NES or Genesis or whatever controllers to the USB. The point of USB is that its universal, so if you do everything through that then you don't need to retain controller ports for the 3 dozen obsolete systems.

Finally we agree on something, Chozo. Altough Nintendo should follow the 360 slim approach and include 2 USB ports in the front of the Wii 2 and three in the back for auxillary. Although I would not mind having blue toothed enabled classic controllers that communicated with a built in chip inside the Wii 2 that registered button presses to the game.

If the Wii 2 does have an internal hard drive, there should be a plastic case similar to that of the 360 slim. Of course this one should just be there for the consumer to diassemble and then put there own HDD into for use on the console. Heck, I would see something like this as the second coming of both the expansion pack and in some ways the Nintendo cartridge.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:13:31 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 04:29:05 AM »
Finally we agree on something,

We've agreed before.
is your sanity...

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 03:41:08 PM »
You would only really one one port, with a 2 or 4-port dongle that plugs into that for each console (depending on the number of ports in the console).
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »
I'd like Nintendo re-release old handhelds from the Game Boy line. I'm totally serious. A collector like me would eat that sh*t up with a spoon. Do you know how much I'd like to play my GBC games on an actual working GBC? Or my GB games on a GB Pocket?

They could release them on the system's anniversary or something. They'd be cheap to produce, too.

Huh, I thought that's what the handheld drawer was for:
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
I am currently brain storming ideas on how Nintendo could bring back ROB and make it work as a credible accessory.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 02:20:14 AM »
I am currently brain storming ideas on how Nintendo could bring back ROB and make it work as a credible accessory.

Not gonna' happen (outside the possibility of some kind of joke peripheral on Club Nintendo) and no one cares, especially Nintendo.  Seriously, Kytim, leave the 80s where it belongs.  If the product had any merit whatsoever, Nintendo would have milked it three or four times by now considering their marketing machine.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 04:13:21 AM »
The best thing Nintendo could do with ROB is create a new franchise of games which would star him as the hero. I think Broodwars is right that the concept doesn't have much merit as a peripheral the way the original ROB was, but hey... there's no reason he can't live on in a digital form.

Another possibility is he could have his own channel on the Wii, or perhaps the Wii 2.0 where you can interact with him and whatever. Maybe make it possible to play the original ROB compatible games via the VC, albeit with a virtual onscreen version of ROB.

Actually, wasn't ROB in Smash Bros.? I wouldn't mind seeing him make cameo appearances in other franchises like Mario or Pikmin.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:15:11 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
The best thing Nintendo could do with ROB is create a new franchise of games which would star him as the hero. I think Broodwars is right that the concept doesn't have much merit as a peripheral the way the original ROB was, but hey... there's no reason he can't live on in a digital form.

Another possibility is he could have his own channel on the Wii, or perhaps the Wii 2.0 where you can interact with him and whatever. Maybe make it possible to play the original ROB compatible games via the VC, albeit with a virtual onscreen version of ROB.

Actually, wasn't ROB in Smash Bros.? I wouldn't mind seeing him make cameo appearances in other franchises like Mario or Pikmin.

I actually have a similar idea where ROB is placed inside the 3DS and Wii 2 as a liason of sorts for the OS system of the console. He would be like representative for the console and in some ways the embodiment of the console, too. He could walk you through tuttorials for the console and offer stats for both game play and memory storage.

If any of you own a DSi, do you remember that parrot in the DSi sound channel? If so, ROB would take the place of that parrot as the pet of the 3DS and Wii 2. Of course he would be inside every console and would appear in the same color shade as the one found on the system.

ROB could also be used as a representative of your console when Spotpass and wi-fi multiplayer is being used. Nintendo could also release an app store where cloths and accessories can be bought for ROB to wear(suit and tie?).

P.S. I would still like to have a new version of ROB simply because I never had one myself.  :P:

@ Broodwars

It is hard to let the 1980s go when I drive a 1986 Chevy Cavalier.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »
I remember playing with a NES-less ROB at my grandparents house years ago. I wonder if they still have him.
Nintendo really needs to do something with ROB. If I remember correctly, they even admit that he saved NOA.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
I actually don't think the Virtual Console is all about nostalgia actually.  It is about playing some really great games that happen to be older games.  Like really old movies that are still fun to watch even though there are newer movies with better effects and editing. 

But also realistically, the virtual console is also a means for software companies to protect their copyrights and IPs of old games because they are being used again.  So people justifying playing the games in emulation, really can't...because you can download the games for the Wii.