Author Topic: Pokemon Black and White  (Read 118823 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Pokemon Black and White
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »
Considering that you can't even see any Generation I-IV Pokemon until after you beat the Elite Four, I wouldn't be surprised. One of the complaints about Generation III though was the lack of evolutions/pre-evolutions of past Pokemon (Azurill and Wynaut were the only ones with connections to existing Pokemon). I hope the rumor is not true though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
There can always be Pokemon from that generation that you couldn't get until you beat the game.

But yeah, I can't believe a 40/40. I'm more hyped than ever.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2010, 02:52:43 AM »
Awesome info! As much as I love pokemon I just now realized I never ever payed attention to the behind the scenes stuff.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Pia_information_begins_to_surface
Information and pictures from Pokémon Pia, a special magazine on sale September 10th, have begun to surface on 2ch. Among the information revealed so far is an interview of art director Ken Sugimori, in which he discusses the development of the Pokémon Black and White starter Pokémon and their evolutions.
    The Sugimori interview, discussing the starter Pokémon In the article, Sugimori explained that Tsutarja, Pokabu, and Mijumaru's final evolutions had been divided into Western, Chinese, and Japanese designs, respectively. He elaborated especially on Mijumaru's final evolution, which can be seen in the translation of the interview provided below:

“ [/t] Ken Sugimori, primary illustrator: I really struggled the most with the Water-type [starter] this time. Yusuke Ohmura, illustrator: There was talk of, "Wouldn't a sea otter be good for the Water starter?" But it was a really close decision in terms of what this sea otter would become once it evolves. In the end, we decided to have it evolve into something with a completely different appearance.
Sugimori: Of course, we want to make the starters into Pokémon that remain with the player throughout the game, so we hope to make them evolve into creatures that offer a surprise to the player. We always make an effort to throw in some twists and create third-stage evolutions that have an impact.
Ohmura: There was also talk this time about dividing the three starters into Japanese, Western, and Chinese styles of design. Tsutarja was based on Western design, and Pokabu was rooted in a Chinese style, so I was told, "Let's make Mijumaru into a more Japanese-style design." Someone even asked, "Can't you make Mijumaru into a samurai?" [laughs]
Everyone: [laughs]
Sugimori: I worried about it for a while, and I eventually went to go see the sea otters at the aquarium. I happened to catch the sea lion show while I was there, and I became aware of the sea lion's power. "Well, let's try blending a sea otter and a sea lion," I thought. I came up with the idea of making the shell on Mijumaru's stomach into a sword (katana) and using it to fight, and that's how I completed Mijumaru and its evolution."

AND ONE MORE!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/intervi...ol1/index.html

Originally Posted by Sabonea_Masukippa
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/intervi...ol1/index.html

Part 1: Making The Second Main Series Game on the DS
Masuda says he always wanted to make 2 titles for the DS (Being Gens 4 and 5), especially because the DS is so popular worldwide. There were very aware that having a second title on DS could mean the games would feel the same, and have done their best to avoid that with these games.
He realised ideas like "Go to a Pokemon Centre and trade" were fixed in his mind and did his best to break them down, because he's been working on the games since the start. They took this as an oppurtunity to re-evaluate rules and systems in the game.

They wanted to make the games more accessible to older players to lower the number of people who were "growing out" of Pokemon. Stuff like adding Kanji to make it easier to read.

The producer of the games (Iwahara (?)), was very happy when Masuda suggest all these radical changes to the games. He says even he had the idea that each generation of Pokemon games had to come out on a different system, but because of the DS's long life and popularity worldwide he was glad for the freedom that creating on the same platform gave them. Iwahara, who Iwata calls a 'veteran' of the series thought "Can it be changed that much? Can we really pull it off" when Masuda told him of the changes that he wanted.

Sugimori thought Masuda's suggestions were a bit crazy. When he was told all the Pokemon would be new he said "Gimme a break! Couldn't we lower the number a bit?" but Masuda refused to budge. Iwata comments that Masuda is stubborn, and Masuda agrees.

Part 2: The Brand New World of Pokemon
Sugimori said he was resistant to Masuda's ideas, but also says that he knew Masuda was not mistaken. There were around 200 pages of planning sheets for new features, explaining exactly what crossing a bridge would mean, or how we'd show the player going into someone else's game world. They didn't do it with DP this way, in fact this is the first time they have. This was to do with all the new challenges they were facing with these games. Once again, they confirm that they used New York as a motif. This was primarily to fulfill the goal of giving these games a new feel, and also so he could have a concert there (like they do in Japan in the region where the games are based off, using music from the relevant games. Apparently), but it might be impossible this time. After deciding this they began deciding where to place towns etc. In doing so they visited the Museum of Modern Art.

While he was sitting in the garden of the Museum, he came up with the idea of using a hexagon. Also, because he’s heard about children not being able to complete the game he decided to try and make the direction you travel in more linear. He says there's people who have the idea that the real fun of Pokemon doesn't start until after the main story has been completed. Then he talks about the hexagonal shape of the region, and the peirs and sky scrapers in Hiun.

The name Isshu comes from "isshurui" which means "one type/kind/species" according to Masuda. He says unconnected races, Pokemon and people come together to form "many types/kinds/species" in the region. They want to avoid designs that are impossible, or ones they can't explain how they work. 17 people designed Pokemon this Generation. All the Graphic Designers were involved as well. It's like that every time. Even if it's only one idea, every comes up with one, or draws one.

Less than 10 people were involved in total for R/B's designs. Sugimori still draws all the final, official designs. He also does the drawings from various angles that are given to the sprite artists (the ones for the starters can be seen in popup). They talk about this "filtering" all the people's designs and finally making them "pokemon-like" and maintaining the one image.

Sugimori acknowledges this is the first time since red and green that they've only used new Pokemon in game. He says he had to make sure that all of the new Pokemon had their own ecological system to them. Iwata mentions that it's not just thinking up new Pokemon, but also thinking of the balance. Sugimori says that they go to Aquariums and Zoos to make sure the Pokemon have a strong base in reality, but also consider how much they can surprise us and look for the line that can't be crossed over.

Masuda says that his imput tend to be in the later half of development, when they line up all he images of the new Pokemon on the wall of the conference room and he looks at them and goes "Hmm, this sectiion has too much of this color." or "Was this Pokemon alright being this color, again? Could we change it?" But other than that he really leaves the designing up to Sugimori and doesn't butt in much.

Part 3: Connecting Online
Masuda talks about how he'd hoped the DS game card could talk directly to the PC, but of course that's impossible, so they stuck with Wi-Fi. Setting up the dream world took a long time. They originall played to have Mii-like avatars, but then realised that was silly because you looked different from your in-game self. So they decided to have only Pokemon appearing in the dream world. It was around that time they noticed that Sugimori's team had already designed Munna and decided to use it as the mascot. They wanted to make a global community where people communicated, not just to get berries and items. In all it took 2 years to get right.

They originally had no plans to include infra-red, especially because when they tested it it cut the battery life in half. So, you connect via Infra red but then switch over to wireless. You can trade anywhere anytime, even from boxes.

The live caster was initially thought up as a way to talk to Professor Araragi during the game.

Part 4: The Unchanging Pokemon-ness
They talk about all the parts of Pokemon that are unchaning. And talk about the thoughts behind TMs being infinitely usable and why they thought players would like it, rather than having them not use them for fear of wasting them and making them like collectibles.

Part 5: New World, New Meetings
Masuda thinks that the plot and characters are different to those of previous games and think people will be surprised by it. He wants people to experience it without being spoiled, to the point that none of them will even give their opinions or reactions to the climax.

Sugimori and Iwata talk about the many people who's only new pokemon is the starter each game, relying on the old ones to fill out their team, and how it's refreshing that in this game you're forced to have to learn about and try out new ones. He wants you to feel like you did with Red and Green, discovering news ones and hopefully finding a few new favourites. Iwahara wants there to be a feeling of accomplishment once you finish the games. He says that he's played the games three times, each with a different starter, and says he thinks he's only done about 1/5 of all the stuff there is to do, not including the Dream World, which he hasn't touched yet.
[/t][/t]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:05:02 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »
According to Serebii.net, there are 156 new Pokemon, and numbers 638-649 are legendaries. This includes the first Bug type legendary, not counting Arceus with the insect plate.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »
If that is true, then that means this would be the most amount of Pokemon ever introduced (Gen I had 151, II had 100, III had 135, IV had 107). I guess they had to since they are having 12 legendaries (way too many) and not letting you even see old Pokemon until after the Elite Four.

6 days until the Japanese release.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »
ALL the new pokemon! Don't look if you don't want to be spoiled. Some awesome and some strange!

http://www.pokexperto.net/index2.php?seccion=nds/blanco_negro/isshu_pokedex

And just in case you are wondering fire and electric get a major boost in numbers!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:20:49 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »
I'm pretty excited about all the new dual types. Bug types in piticular.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »
I was fairly disappointed in the art direction of many of these Pokemon.  I think the initial Pokemon the "cute" ones mostly look good to great....but too many of the evolutions went to become humanoid instead retaining an animal like design.   I dunno...the designs just seemed uninspired or just trying to be cool. 

I do like the idea of having more and more dual type Pokemon, because that helps more Pokemon be viable in teams, but the designs were lack luster.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2010, 10:23:14 PM »
I like the ice cream cone, love it.  I like the first turtle form, not the second.  I like the second crocodile form, not the third, due to coloring.  I like the first duck.

All in all, I actually like these Pokemon a lot.  They seem creative enough to be fun to play with.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »
Overall, I'm really impressed with this generation. 

Lots of really cool bug type pokemon.   I like.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2010, 12:49:38 AM »
So does this confirm that none of the earlier Pokémon from previous generations have new evolutions?

Also, I like the overall designs and think they did a good job this generation with a few exceptions, like the ones where karate clothes (although I will probably get used to it since Hitmonchan is similar in terms of wearing human clothes).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2010, 01:53:41 AM »
So does this confirm that none of the earlier Pokémon from previous generations have new evolutions?

Also, I like the overall designs and think they did a good job this generation with a few exceptions, like the ones where karate clothes (although I will probably get used to it since Hitmonchan is similar in terms of wearing human clothes).

Don't forget Jynx!

And it is true, not older Pokemon relations, in 4-6 years we will get in in the 6th generation.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2010, 03:59:28 AM »
Special Edition Pokemon Black and White DSi bundle has been announced
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/irbj/index.html

Nov 20, 2010 - 19800 yen

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »
Oh man I like that! Too bad I decided on waiting until the 3DS. Boo!

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #239 on: November 22, 2010, 10:35:18 PM »
English names are beginning to be announced. SPOILERS below.

Grass type (Tsujarata) - Snivy (snake + ivy)
Fire type (Pokabu) - Tepig (Tepid + pig)
Water type (Mijumaru) - Oshawott (name of a Japanese samurai + otter).

Region is called Unova.

I'd complain about the name but it gave us an awesome MGS reference: http://i54.tinypic.com/2nopz9.jpg
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #240 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
I really like the names, but haters gon' hate
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2010, 10:29:14 PM »
I really hate the names, but likers gonna like.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2010, 09:55:22 AM »
The grass one is OK, the fire one is acceptable, but the water one is terrible IMO. As for the region, what was wrong with keeping it as Isshu?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
Two more names were announced via Nintendo's official pokemon.com site. They announced that the 13th movie will air in the US on Cartoon Network on February 5. It will be called Pokemon: Zoroark - Master of Illusions. This means that they decided to keep the Japanese name of the Pokemon, and it's pre-evolved form of Zorua.

They also announced three more giveaways for the US, all of which will require you to go to GameStop (rather than through Mystery Gift) but can be downloaded to any of the 5 Generation IV games. From January 3 to 9 you can get a shiny Raikou with a Rash nature, has a Micle Berry, and knows Zap Cannon, Weather Ball, Aura Sphere and ExtremeSpeed. From January 17 to 23 you can get a shiny Entei with a Adament nature, has a Custap Berry, and knows Flare Blitz, Crush Claw, Howl and ExtremeSpeed. From January 31 to February 6 you can get a shiny Suicune with a Relaxed nature, has a Rowap Berry, and knows Sheer Cold, Aqua Ring, Air Slash and ExtremeSpeed. Transferring any of these to Black or White will get you a Lv. 25 female Zoroark.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 22, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
Awesome thanks for the heads up! Bout time Entie got a good physical fire move. Now we just Flareon to join the Flare Blitz club.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »
Nintendo just announced that Black and White will launch in North America on March 6.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Spoilers, Nintendo unveiled more English names for Pokemon, abilities, a character, and a city:

*Munna will keep that name
*Mamepato will be Pidove
*Meguroco will be Sandile
*Shimama will be Blitzle
*Chillarmy will be Minccino
*Giaru will be Klink
*Hihidaruma will be Darmanitan
*Gigaiath will be Gigalith
*Hiun City will be Castelia City
*Professor Araragi will be Professor Juniper
*The ability Pidgeon Breast will be Big Pecks
*The ability Brute Force will be Sheer Force
*The ability Overconfidence will be Moxie
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:28:50 PM by TJ Spyke »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »
When I saw Big Pecks at first I was like this:  ::)

Then I thought about it for a second and realized the double meaning, and it wrapped around to being funny.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline draggingalake

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Pokemon Podcast
« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
Oshawatt name also has to do with some city related in Canada.
Check out the Pokémon Podcast! Visit www.pokemonpodcast.com for more info. Rate us in iTunes!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 30, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »
Just as long as I can migrate my LeafGreen/FireRed critters over...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality