Author Topic: Old question: What PS2 games might I like?  (Read 6616 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Old question: What PS2 games might I like?
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 03:10:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Galford
Lament is better then Curse of Darkness by a long shot.  Lament has better level design with a DMC-like battle system.
Curse of Darkness is 3D SotN with boring level design and mindless button mashing.

Of course my views differ from many,  I believe the N64 Castlevanias are superior to both PS2 games.

I haven't played the PS2 games, but I at least think the N64 ones are underrated.  With some tweaking they could have been great, but for whatever reason people think there's something fundamentally wrong with them - I disagree.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Old question: What PS2 games might I like?
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 05:09:16 AM »
There's something fundamentally wrong with people this is comedy.

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Is Curse Of Darkness better or worse than Lament of Innocence?

And apropos Cv64, isn't Legacy of Darkness better?

I have both N64 Mudvanias.  Legacy is better all around in terms of visuals, upgraded/modified/additional stages, bosses, extras, and presentation.  But, some of the presentation bits, like the original opening sequence and some of the voiced narration, were cut out, some of which I did miss.

And since the N64 games were classical action-platformers, unlike PS2's DMC clones, the N64 games still maintained a raw sense of danger and challenge which nicely complemented the horror themes (something all the other modern CV's don't really capitalize) as opposed to PS2 CV's glitz and combos.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 04:26:47 AM »
I'd toss the Xenosagas in there though if you don't have the patience to play a TRPG you probably also don't have the patience to watch half hour cutscenes.

Another series I really got into was the .hack// series. OK, so it's a licensed tie-in, but it's also a very interesting action/RPG with some great characters. Kind of expensive to buy all four games though (which you really need to have any sort of resolution), even today that's likely to set you back $100 or so.

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 04:29:21 AM »
of, and if you liked Symphonia you'll likely also enjoy Tales of the Abyss

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 06:37:47 AM »
Someone mentioned the Silent Hill series...but I played the PSX version of Silent Hill long ago (emulated on a PC) and played 2-4 on my PC (3 and 4: The Room both just last year, actually).  I thought I said no PC games!

Then again, I am itching for a horror game.  Something that gets my adrenaline going.

I don't have that itch to get a PS2 anymore (must've been a phase) but if I do, I guess I'll check out the Fatal Frame games as per the suggestions here.

I don't mind turn-based RPGs, BTW, I love them, but I don't like the tactical ones.  You know, like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, that sort of thing.

And I never thought .hack// was a tie-in.  I could be wrong but I always thought the games and the anime series were developed together, in which case it's not really a "licensed" game in my mind.

Are there fully-working PS2 emulators up yet?  Hey, it's not illegal if I use the actual discs, right?  And if the money is all made on software sales, then Sony should be begging me to buy PlayStation/PS2 games but not their loss-inducing hardware.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 06:57:33 AM »
Oh, hm, I just noticed I didn't list Gungrave: Overdose. Yes, there is a Gungrave anime but the games came first. What's better than playing as a zombie who smashes people with his coffin when he doesn't feel like shooting them with his guns? Playing as a ghost of a rockstar possessing an ax and smashing people with said ax!

Oh and Rygar is a pretty nice game though I got stuck at the Icarus boss and gave up on it. The voice acting is one of the worst I've ever heard (horrible VA seems to be Tecmo's forte), they're not even trying, they're doing something completely WRONG! Icarus talks as if he's the narrator of a movie trailer. Other than that and the frustrating bosses it's a nice game. Mostly linear I think though it has a bit of exploration and "come back later when you have more items/abilities".

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung

Are there fully-working PS2 emulators up yet?  Hey, it's not illegal if I use the actual discs, right?  And if the money is all made on software sales, then Sony should be begging me to buy PlayStation/PS2 games but not their loss-inducing hardware.

I'm pretty sure that recently Sony had started making a profit on PS2... about time!
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€