Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 667761 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #2875 on: December 25, 2009, 05:01:04 AM »
Yeah but I have no idea how to actually find that quality stuff.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: December 25, 2009, 07:14:23 AM »
I own a PSP-2000 and will NEVER buy an iPhone for gaming or else.
No physical buttons = no sale. Period.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: December 25, 2009, 08:24:43 AM »
Yeah, it's limiting but it'll probably work fine for pointer-based games.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: December 25, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »
I compared the iPhone to the PSP because it's not better than the DS, but if you remove Nintendo's titles from the DS's library it's not that far off. There is a tremendous amount of quality software on the iPhone and it's a platform that anyone who calls themselves a gamer should own, or at least want to own.

You must have a really focused tastes in games. 2/3 of my DS games are 3rd party. If you got rid of Nintendo games, the only ones I would really miss would be the Zelda's, Advance Wars, Mario Kart and maybe Fire Emblem on the handhelds. I would still consider it a good purchase.

The problem with both the PSP and the Iphone beyond the control issues is the kind of games they attract. Iphone pulls in more shovelware than the entire combined history of computing in the multiverse without the accompanying good games.

The PSP can't make up it's mind as to what it wants to be and flips personality more than the Fonz tossing a coin. One minute it wants to be a media player, the next a cut down console with cinematic games, after that a Sony PSP lifestyle machine, then it decides it's vag lips are too long and shortens them with a revision every year. Like the PS3, it's conception was born out of insanity. While both made up some of it's short coming like Forest Gump by raw effort, money and dumb luck, the damage was done.

I like Apple and what they do in general, but I can't pay Apple prices. I like them so much in fact I spent 2 solid days building a Hackintosh and countless hours before the build researching just so I can run OSX. I am glad they have found success in the Iphone, however, their luck in getting a foothold in the gaming market is just that, luck. All cellphone for most the last decade have had games, but not until recently has CPU power, battery life and interface made it a possibility make games on phones that might not automatically suck. You do remember the Ngage? Wasting all of 30 seconds playing snake before deleting it? The endless clusterfuck of model restrictions and performance differences? Terrible controls?

The more Apple chases gaming, the more their own slice of the market fragments as each revision slowly breaks it's ancestor by being faster to soon, too incrementally. Add the fact it's also competing with regular phones. Throw on the dollar store toxic shovelware and it loses it's credibility as a gameplayer or a phone. It would be like Germany after D-Day fighting on 3 fronts stretched to breaking point. You can't have a device actively openning itself up to that much competition.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: December 25, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
The iPhone's graphics are fine, its weak point are the controls.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: December 25, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
That's true to a point, but it's kind of like saying the problem with the Wii is the controls because developers keep making games that use unnecessary forced waggle. If you play to the strengths of the hardware, the touch screen and the accelerometers (I know you've had negative things to say about motion controls using something that a screen's attached to, but there are some great examples of tilt controls working really well, like Rolando, Dr. Awesome, TaxiBall and one of my personal favorites, Space Evader), you get better results. Touch screen buttons and d-pad are workable, but there's a reason I bought Real Soccer, Asphalt 4, and Castle of Magic a second time when they came to DSiWare. As for the shovelware, yeah, there's a ton of it, so what? There's a ton of shovelware on the Wii and DS and that hasn't stopped me from finding over 50 games on each of them that I enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:58:16 PM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: December 25, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »
As much as touch controls can get in the way, Fieldrunners on the iPhone worked and hooked me more than any DS or PSP game this gen. And as many duds as I've played since then there's no denying the potential is still there.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: December 25, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
If you added a few buttons on the side it'd be more comfortable for games, playing Quake on my PDA feels more natural than playing NOVA on my iPod since Quake is controlled with a physical d-pad (you click it to fire) and the stylus can be used purely for aiming, I can aim and shoot fluidly while also making sure that my thumb never slips off the d-pad because I can feel its shape. Most iPhone games try to replicate a d-pad. The Wii has motion controls but it doesn't have ONLY motion controls, they realize that you always need some buttons.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2883 on: December 25, 2009, 11:35:54 PM »
People play games on their PORTABLE COMMUNICATORS?

The casual/non-casual nonsense isn't the issue anymore (never was).  Casuals on the rise is just noticeable evidence of SERIOUS GAMERS dying off.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: December 27, 2009, 08:11:56 AM »
To be fair, couldn't the touch screen add something like a D-pad onto itself? It wouldn't provide the same tactile sensation as a real button, but it would do the job.... the one issue I can see with that if you wouldn't be able to feel what you were pressing so you would have to look (game character dies), or you have to take a guess and hope you are hitting the right button (game character dies).

This would suck during things like boss fights, but might be okay the rest of the time.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: January 08, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »
I was just given a PS3. I've never owned a Sony console before. Does it hurt?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: January 08, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »
I was just given a PS3. I've never owned a Sony console before. Does it hurt?

"You've just taken your first steps into a larger world..."

Congrats.  Did you get any games as well?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: January 08, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
I was given Little Big Planet and Prince of Persia. I've been looking at the list of games and most PS3 games I would be interested in I've played. Has anyone tried Siren 3?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: January 08, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
I was given Little Big Planet and Prince of Persia. I've been looking at the list of games and most PS3 games I would be interested in I've played. Has anyone tried Siren 3?

Well, not a bad duo, though I'm not the biggest fan of Little Big Planet.  You should scoop up Batman: Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 as soon as funds allow, though.  Bioshock (if you haven't played it yet) and Dead Space are a couple other good titles, as is Valkyria Chronicles if you like Strategy RPGs.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: January 08, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »

Two of my favorite games so far (I only got a PS3 when the slim was released) have been Uncharted / Uncharted 2 (the 2nd game is better in various ways, but the first is absolutely a great game, and well worth getting), and Assassin's Creed 2.

Assassin's Creed 2 may be a multi-platform title, but man, it has the most amazingly huge and intricate environments, and fun sandbox gameplay; it's also gorgeous, and avoids the "repetitive sparse environments" problem that some other sandbox games have.  Uncharted 2 has even cooler and more detailed environments, but it's very linear, and keeps you strictly within a certain path/area; A.C.2 lets you roam entire cities (and the surrounding countryside) freely, and still manages to be intricate and interesting!

The strong narrative drive of Uncharted2 and the free roaming of AC2 are good alternatives I think.

[I've avoided buying Bioshock as I get the impression it's way overhyped.]

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: January 08, 2010, 11:52:28 PM »
Planning on getting a PS3, but need some quick advice.

- While HD makes the games look better, is SDTV ok?
- Does the Playstation Network cost anything?
- Is Bayonetta any good?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: January 09, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »

- Is Bayonetta any good?

I have a (small) SDTV, it looks fine as far as it can do... the only "problem" is that some games seem to have a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio and use letterboxing on a 4:3 display (I thought I'd be annoyed by this, since my TV is already really small, but actually I ended up not really noticing after 5 seconds).

The playstation network seems to be free; I've only signed up tho, and haven't really done much there (no wifi, and only one network cable in my house, and it's annoying to switch it between boxes...).

Dunno about bayonetta; most of the coverage I've seen was drooling over the main character...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: January 09, 2010, 12:04:46 AM »

- Is Bayonetta any good?

1.  Well, I've seen PS3 games on an SD TV before, and they're passable but you really should have an HD TV and HDMI cable for the PS3.
2.  Nada, so far.  Sony's talking about charging for some new features in the near future, but nothing definite so far.
3.  I played the PS3 demo and wasn't impressed.  It also looks pretty horrible on the PS3, like an upscaled PS2 game.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: January 09, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
HD games look perfectly fine on an SD tv.  The only difference will be the resolution (same as you are used to) and you won't have to spend extra money on cables and stuff.  A few HD game developers screwed up and made the writing too small but it is very rare since about half the people don't play in hd.

If anyone gets a new console now, any console, do not buy the new hotness games.  All the systems have been out for years and will have good older games you can pick up super cheap.  Most recommendations will be new games because these poeple already played the old ones and the new ones are fresh in their mind, I do the same thing.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: January 09, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »
Certainly you can pick up Uncharted 1 for very cheap, and it's a great game.  [Uncharted 2 has some improvements, but they're not fundamental, just a few details here and there.]

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: January 09, 2010, 01:18:12 AM »
That is good to know. Shame to hear about Bayonetta though, was thinking of getting it with the PS3 because I wanted to support Platinum.

Oh well... Sucks the PS3 isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: January 09, 2010, 01:52:14 AM »
That is good to know. Shame to hear about Bayonetta though, was thinking of getting it with the PS3 because I wanted to support Platinum.

Oh well... Sucks the PS3 isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games.

Take it from someone who has an 80 GB backwards compatible model, it's not all it's cracked-up to be.  Sony didn't get it quite right with the software emulation models (the only model you can really find with some amount of ease and in working condition these days), leading to many games I really want to play (Wild Arms 4-5 and Shadow Hearts 2-3) being completely unplayable on the thing.  It's rare to find a PS2 game that runs on my PS3 without some kind of glitch.  If you want to play PS2 games, I suggest you use a PS2 (as I will have to, when I reacquire one sometime in the future).  A pity, because they do look good upscaled on my PS3.

As for Bayonetta, you probably want to get multiple opinions on the game but I suggest you try the demo for yourself.  It's free, so there's really no reason not to.

Incidentally, most of the games I listed are comparatively old and can be obtained for a reasonable price these days.  Mac and I just have to agree to disagree on Uncharted 2 vs. its predecessor, as I find the first game a dull chore that's not worth playing if you can play the sequel.

As for Bioshock, it has been overhyped over the years (much as Portal is now), but I replayed it a few months back and it's still a very solid, very well-designed FPS that's still up there among my favorite games.  You do yourself a disservice by not playing it, Mac.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:49 AM »
At what point did this "Sony getting hit hard" thread transform into the "I am getting a PS3" thread?
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: January 09, 2010, 04:20:11 AM »
To be fair, couldn't the touch screen add something like a D-pad onto itself?

Yes but it doesn't work all that well. It's done all the time on the iPhone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: January 10, 2010, 12:57:49 AM »
To be fair, couldn't the touch screen add something like a D-pad onto itself?

Yes but it doesn't work all that well. It's done all the time on the iPhone.

It usually works well enough, but there's a reason I've bought several games I already owned on the iPhone when they were released on DSiWare.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent