Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 665711 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
According to Media-Create, the PS3 sold just 18,727 units in the week of 1/29/07 - 2/4/07. Amazing, since the PS2 sold 17,540 that same week.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Kairon
According to Media-Create, the PS3 sold just 18,727 units in the week of 1/29/07 - 2/4/07. Amazing, since the PS2 sold 17,540 that same week.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

The start of Sony's domination.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
I dont know why but I get this feeling 1 of two things is about to happen, either Sony is preparing to drop a major bomb and pick up sales, unliky but still possible, or they are about to drop the ball alltogether and vbe screwed for the next five years. Its too early to predict the real winner now but something tells me its getting closer to that critical point where its make or break for Sony.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
They are going to drop a bomb. On themselves. Price Cuts.

That said, if many of the games that SHOULD come out DO come out this year, the PS3 actually has a pretty good lineup.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
Well if Sony really decided to compete they could, first they would have to drop the price CONSIDERABLY, second they would have to rethink thier ads and get something a littlebetter, sicne launch Ihavent seen any ps3 ads.

Third they will have to start gettign some big name games out and marketing the hell out of them then on top of all that the serioulsy need to flood the market with BR movies all at once, nothing significant has to be done just flood the market so that consumers actualyl see the sheer number of BR movies, then after all that they could very well have a good chance. Now in all honesty I dont see much of that happening, PS3 price cut sure but I dont see them getting low enough to compete with Wii.

Now Nintendo is still going to have to put up a fight because if Sony does decide BR is the way to get ps3 in peoples doors they WILL flood the market and go on a marketing blitz, its all a matter of how much they are willing to spend to do it.

I seriously think that they have made enough mistakes that Nintendo could very well pull itoff, but I also know Sony ha something up its sleeve that could turn things around and its just a matter if time before they do unleash something big.  
You can call me

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: segagamer12
Well if Sony really decided to compete they could, first they would have to drop the price CONSIDERABLY, second they would have to rethink thier ads and get something a littlebetter, sicne launch Ihavent seen any ps3 ads.

Third they will have to start gettign some big name games out and marketing the hell out of them then on top of all that the serioulsy need to flood the market with BR movies all at once, nothing significant has to be done just flood the market so that consumers actualyl see the sheer number of BR movies, then after all that they could very well have a good chance. Now in all honesty I dont see much of that happening, PS3 price cut sure but I dont see them getting low enough to compete with Wii.

Now Nintendo is still going to have to put up a fight because if Sony does decide BR is the way to get ps3 in peoples doors they WILL flood the market and go on a marketing blitz, its all a matter of how much they are willing to spend to do it.

I seriously think that they have made enough mistakes that Nintendo could very well pull itoff, but I also know Sony ha something up its sleeve that could turn things around and its just a matter if time before they do unleash something big.

What makes you think they have something up their sleeve? They have botched about every aspect of the PS3 since it was first announced, so I don't see how you can think they have something big up their sleeve because they sure haven't shown any indication whatsoever they know what they are doing.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I usually see a PS3 ad or two whenever I watch tv which isn't often. They're all weird. I don't know what happened. The PSP had pretty cool ads.

I don't think Sony's made enough mistakes. We still haven't seen the dropoff in support that Nintendo experienced between SNES and N64. Sony has done some boneheaded moves so far, but they haven't totally alienated 3rd parties like Nintendo did. That's why Nintendo has too keep their guard up and keep scoring small victories like Guitar Hero and Manhunt 2... and even Dragon Quest IX. Yeah, it's on DS, but at least it's not on PS3.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Adrock
I usually see a PS3 ad or two whenever I watch tv which isn't often. They're all weird. I don't know what happened. The PSP had pretty cool ads.

I don't think Sony's made enough mistakes. We still haven't seen the dropoff in support that Nintendo experienced between SNES and N64. Sony has done some boneheaded moves so far, but they haven't totally alienated 3rd parties like Nintendo did. That's why Nintendo has too keep their guard up and keep scoring small victories like Guitar Hero and Manhunt 2... and even Dragon Quest IX. Yeah, it's on DS, but at least it's not on PS3.

Um most of the drop off from SNES to N64 was caused by cartridges, this is a whole different situation. Probably a better comparison would be GC and how 3rd party support dropped off, it took awhile but you could see a trend towards it, the same can be said about PS3 with many companies now reluctant to make games exclusive.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
It was more than just cartridges. Nintendo just became difficult to deal with. The hardware architecture was atrocious and licensing fees were significantly higher than Sony's. Then, there was that whole "Dream Team" of developers Hiroshi Yamauchi wanted to put together, further alienating 3rd parties. We can all agree that cartridges played a huge role, but that wasn't all Nintendo got wrong.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
what makes me think Sony will do somehting huge is history, I mean thisis PLAYSTATION for crying out loud, Sony made mistakes and I think we can all agree that a lot of thier mistakes have cost them a lot of money and support, but come on Playstation is still a HUGE name and it still has HUGE franchises that havent jumped ship. I am all for sony dieing and I can easily see it happeneing.

The thing is Sony has beun shifting things around, they demoted PS creator, that tells me that they *are* taking his screw ups serioulsy. To be honest I dont think PS3 has a snowballs chance in hell at coming out on top, or killing off the wii, but I still think that if they really wanted to they could put up more of a fight. It seams to me that either they are preparting to concede this round to NIntendo and focus on the BR aspect of things or they are going to use BR to really try and turn things around.

I mean I hate Playstation, I really really do and I would love to see Sony shut down the gaming divison altogether or at least revert back to Sony Image Soft status and leave the console business.

I dont know I could be blowing smoke but having sat back and watched Sega get creamed by those #*&^$holes and seeing Nintendo forced to fight tooth and nail just to stay alive I am not at all ready to let my guard down and count sony out just yet. I know this is not the tune I been singing and to be honest I hope I am wrong but it just seams like a lot of people have counted them out too early and that theres things we dont know yet. I mean PS3 is brand spankin new and it takes more to make a game for it than Wii and Wii still isnt seeing as many game annuncments as some people would like.

I could go into extreme details why I think things could turn around, not that I think they will but I think they could. But I have already typed more than I intended and havent organized my thoughts well enough and its getting late so I will leave it here. I just dont think its safe to count SOny out just yet. i mena Ps2 is still making money and they could restructure themselves enough to stay profitable and then it wont take much to turn things around.

I dont know if it could happen but i can see two Sony made games coming out on Ps3 that could have an impact strong enough to turn some heads, both are MMO, Everquest and SW Galaxies. I dont think it will happen right away but seeing that it sure as hell is capable of runningthose games, the first console by sony to be able to, I can see them bringing those to the ps3 and gaining mmo fans support. Not that Everquest matters as much in the grand sceme of things but offering it to console owners not just pc gamers would be a huge step up. Anywyas I said more than I intended and dont have strong support so take it as is and im going to bed.
You can call me

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Adrock
It was more than just cartridges. Nintendo just became difficult to deal with. The hardware architecture was atrocious and licensing fees were significantly higher than Sony's. Then, there was that whole "Dream Team" of developers Hiroshi Yamauchi wanted to put together, further alienating 3rd parties. We can all agree that cartridges played a huge role, but that wasn't all Nintendo got wrong.

All the same, it was much different than Sony's errors with the PS3.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Nintendo's error was going with cartridges, driving up expenses to the consumer. Sony's error was going with Blu-Ray, driving up expenses to the consumer.

It's not as cut and dry as that, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the situations pan out in similar ways... although Sony won't have their own games to fall back on, like Nintendo did during that generation (and made a nice profit with their array of million sellers).  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Arbok

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Nintendo's error was going with cartridges, driving up expenses to the consumer. Sony's error was going with Blu-Ray, driving up expenses to the consumer.

It's not as cut and dry as that, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the situations pan out in similar ways... although Sony won't have their own games to fall back on, like Nintendo did during that generation (and made a nice profit with their array of million sellers).

Actually I would say the carts drove up the expenses more so on the developer, weren't they around 20$ a piece? Not to mention they had limited storage, which was a double whammy that really chased away developers who wanted more storage and not have to pay an arm and a leg for each cart.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
It seems that you are forgetting about the $60 to $80 N64 games Golden. Saturn and PS games were $50.  
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile

Golden Phoenix wrote:

Exactly. The difference being the reliance on 3rd parties. As we've seen, Nintendo has been able to support an entire console almost entirely by themselves. There's reason in my mind that Sony can't do the same. They have a few strong brands such as God of War and Gran Turismo, but they clearly aren't established enough to support a whole console. Should they alienate 3rd parties as Nintendo had, they most certainly would be screwed beyond all reason.

I think that's the real difference here. Sony's mistakes affect 3rd parties less directly. I'd say Sony's biggest problem is the financially crippling price of PS3 which they're mostly absorbing themselves while placing the rest of the load on consumers.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Sony beat Nintendo because it disrupted the market!

Sony knew how Nintendo treated its partners - it got a firsthand look when the two tried to partner up for a SNES CD add-on.  When Sony decided to continue with the CD system and created PSX, it took advantage of Nintendo's weak spot: third parties.  High liscencing fees, censorship, and an overall controlling attitude (Nintendo used to limit the number of games you could release each year) were Nintendo's weak point.  The added cost of cartridges was just the last nail in the coffin: third parties were totally ready for a change.

So Nintendo's support was stolen, not just by CD vs. cart, but by Sony's better third party policies.  Then to top it off, Sony opened up new markets: it grabbed a slightly older demographic and also set up shop in countries Nintendo ignored.

Now it's Nintendo's turn to disrupt the market: the Wii is capturing new audiences, it costs less to develop for than the other systems (possibly by a long shot) and Nintendo is less controlling than Sony in some respects (Sony censors stuff Nintendo doesn't, all PS3 games must support HD, and Sony supposedly has an anti-2D bias).  The Virtual Console is another disruption: want to put your classic game on Xbox Live Arcade?  Better add online play, achievements, and more.  But on Wii you just slap the game and an emulator together, test, and it's good to go.  CHEAP.  If Nintendo can make it cheap to develop original games, as it claims it wants to, that's even better.

Sony isn't totally losing third-party support, and I think some of this is wariness on the part of developers.  Square Enix has been on both sides of the battle, and has paid for it.  It paid when it was stuck under Nintendo's control, it paid when it left Nintendo and Yamauchi wouldn't let SE develop for GBA (until the GameCube deal was struck) and it's starting to pay as Sony drives up the requirements for gaming with PS3.  Not surprisingly, Square Enix's reaction has been to say, "We're going to support everyone, we don't want anybody getting too strong."  The company is tired of being pushed around by the first parties, so its going to try to balance out their power and avoid burning bridges by supporting all of them.

I don't think Sony is going to fall from #1 to total failure in a single generation - it will probably get a little boost from brand loyalty and the remaining third party support.  But I think it could easily wind up in third place.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
that a lot of what I was going to say cm but damn i was soo tired last night I quess i was rambling on about
nothing happens alot though.

See what made me change my mind about SOny totally bombing was the last time I went to town, even with Wii dominating in sales and what not, it was still a Playstation world out there, and even KNOWING PSP is not selling as much as DS you ant tell that to anybody, there is MORE PSP and PS3 stuff on the shelves everywhere than Wii and beleive it or not that makes Nintendo look bad in the public eye.

This is when it hit home Ps3 still had a chance, my friend has been looking for a Wii since day one, hasnt been able to find out yet, we doesnt just want one for hisself either want sot get one for his family so he can have his own and they can have thiers, he live on his own so it works out better that way too. Anywyas he currently has a 360, nwo we went to town just 8 days ago and went shopping for a Wii, we hit EVERYSTORE and not only were they non existant, the controllers and games were like nowhere to be found, and beleive it or not a *LOT* of people were commenting on how Nintendo must have already folded. Now thats silly but public perception can mold a console generation.

Now getting back to my story, we hit EVERY SINGLE store in town that sold electronics, games, toys everything. Finally we gave up, and I noticed, didnt point it out but noticed every where we went the Ps3 area was healthy and over stocked, now I tend to think that would mean they arent selling out, but eevry store still had 1 per customer signs on all the ps3 stuff and even had ps3 stuff covering up wii stuff!

My friend stopped and looked at a ps3 for like ten minutes saying since he still cant find a wii almost three months latter he might as well geta  ps3 and screw nintendo, this guy who had a GC and nothing else last gen, has a N64 and didnt touch ps1, and now has a 360 only for xbox live and came that close to caving in and throwing Nintenod out altogether, and he isnt the onlyf riend Ihave who was blown away by the wii who is so tired of looking for one that has started cnsidering ps3 since they *are* available. THAT is sonys BIG advantage riight now like it or not, public perception, the sales mght not be there but a lot of people will grab a ps3 out of haste due to impatience.

I managed to talk my freind out of it cuz he hates sony, and he decided to grabb some 360 games instead but i was shocked to see him come so close to caving in like that and to tell you the truth if I hadnt gotten my wii on launch adn ws still hunting for one I would have goten a 360 by now and said Ill get a wii latter. It *IS* affecting them sure the sales are strong but that could all change and the market is ripe for change. Its too early to tell either way but if you gotoa  store and EVERYTHING says Playstation on it and Wii is crammed in with GC that doesnt look good for Nintendo. Plus no one knows what kind of games they do have in they have in the works, we knowit takes alot to develop for ps3 but Sony has the resources to get gamews made when they need them if they wanted to.

Not only all that but this is the time of the year people *have* money to spend and is when the sales will matter the most because of the droughts. If Sony can pick up some tax time sales they will be on thier way to set themselves up. I hope that they fall I REALLY REALLY DO, I just have to be realistic because Sony KILLED my favorite game makers and I can see they are trying despperatley to kill Nintendo.

You can call me

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Segagamer! Don't wish for Sony's downfall so quickly, who will stop MICROSOFT FROM KILLlING OFF NINTENDO?!?!?!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon.aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Did anyone read the Jack Trenton interview in EGM? It was one of Sony's chances to own up, and instead blamed 'society'. EGM asked some good questions, but failed to follow up on questions that got bs answers. Though they did try to push Jack about 'sold' versus 'shipped' with Jack offering $1200 to the interviewer if he could find a PS3 that was sitting on a shelf for more than 5 minutes. Jack was then informed that 9 out of 18 stores reported readily available stock of PS3s. Jack's mouth then went off to claim that 50% means sales are great.

Hubris will be Sony's downfall this generation.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
Quotes like that make me wonder if everyone at Sony who could potentially be interviewed are given a manual or a guidebook with BS answers to common questons, as well as other ludicrous things to say.

I mean, they can't all be stupid...can they?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
EGM asked some good questions, but failed to follow up on questions that got bs answers.

Interviews rarely follow up on these, partially because the questions are prewritten and partially because a BS answer usually means he won't answer it anyway.

Quotes like that make me wonder if everyone at Sony who could potentially be interviewed are given a manual or a guidebook with BS answers to common questons, as well as other ludicrous things to say.

I think the marketing division is going to make damn sure of that.

Wikipedia describes the marketing division of the Sony Computer Entertainment Corporation as "a bunch of mindless jerks who were the first against the wall when the revolution^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HWii came".  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I still think Sony is trying to win a bet by making sure the PS3 fails. Its the only thing that makes sense, but even then it doesn't really make sense.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I still think Sony is trying to win a bet by making sure the PS3 fails. Its the only thing that makes sense, but even then it doesn't really make sense.
I said it before...it's a conspiracy!  o_0  Nintendo and Sony may actually be owned/controlled by the same phantom company.  They play "Sony" and "Nintendo" "against each other" in a big act that generates more interest in video games.  Since the PS2 was so far ahead in terms of sales, they deemed that it was time for the so-called Sony to take a really big dive so that Nintendo can have a turn in the spotlight.  After a couple generations, they may mix it up again.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
It's Tose.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.