Poll

Which one of these Game Boy Advance games (all included in the 3DS Ambassador program) should RFN crew and listeners play and discuss together?

Wario Land 4
51 (40.8%)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
52 (41.6%)
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
22 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Voting closed: January 12, 2012, 09:17:26 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #21 Poll: GBA Ambassador Edition  (Read 32023 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #21 Poll: GBA Ambassador Edition
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »
Note: These games may already be available to you for free as part of the 3DS Ambassador program. They are not available for purchase through the eShop at this time, if you bought a 3DS after the Ambassador program enrollment expired. However, all three are readily available in their original GBA cartridge format for approximately $20 or less, and they will play on any GBA system as well as the original Nintendo DS and Lite.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #21 Poll: GBA Ambassador Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
Voted for Kirby simply because I already beat Sacred stones. Kirby or Wario Land, I hope to play along which should make retroactive even more fun to listen to.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:37:39 PM »
I throwing my chips in for Fire Emblem because I started playing and I have to break my codependency on Minnish Cap otherwise I'll never beat it.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:03 PM »
Voted for Fire Emblem because I've not listened to the RFN crew discussing this series much.
Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
Wario Land all the way, I've only played the newest wii game and would love to play some of the others.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:13:06 AM by Lithium »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »
I would have preferred Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3. Since that is not an option, I went with Kirby & the Amazing Mirror.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:00:17 AM »
I'm gonna be busy revising for exams so I went with FE, simply because I've played the game to death, and would get the biggest kick out of listening to that discussion ^_^

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
My vote is for Warioland 4.  This will be my first Warioland game, and I am looking forward to playing through what seems to be a fairly challenging game (at least from the first few levels I've tried).
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »
Wow, awesome choices for this poll. I don't really care what wins: I'd happily play along for any of these games. With such a strong lineup of GBA Ambassador games, that's not a surprise though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
I love the Fire Emblem games, and would love to have them discussed on the podcast in depth sometime.

But many of the recent Retroactive games have been lenghty RPGs. Fire Emblem demands not just a large time commitment to get anywhere, but it's worse than most SRPGs in that death is permanent, so I'm afraid that few people will ever get particularly far in the time the Retroactive is...active.

So instead of Fire Emblem, I'm going to go with Wario Land, since I've never met a Kirby game I've particularly liked.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 11:46:30 PM »
I don't find Kirby games to be any fun.  I also think that Wario 4 is one of the weakest in the series.  So I vote for Fire Emblem.  Although I'll probably just talk about how much better the Gamecube game is.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »
Went with WarioLand 4.  Am delighted that this is an ambassador-edition retroactive, because i've blown all the remaining $$ I had on steam Sales.  Also assuming (maybe incorrectly) that i'd be able to play through and beat WarioLand 4 quicker than the other two.

EDIT: Changed to Fire Emblem.  Further comments about the series has piqued my curiosity.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:50:01 PM by lolmonade »

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 03:56:01 AM »
I'd be happy with any of these. As with most of the Ambassador GBA games, I've already played them and they are good games. I kind of hope Wario Land 4 doesn't win, though, only because it would make it less likely that Wario Land 2 or Wario Land 3 (better entries in the series) would be selected in the future.

For those wary of Kirby games: Amazing Mirror is actually closer to a Metroidvania game in structure.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:00:44 AM by TheYoungerPlumber »
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
Despite the presence of an RPG on the list, I voted for Wario Land. I've never played a Wario Land game since borrowing the original for 10 minutes when I was still in grade school.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
... I kind of hope Wario Land 4 doesn't win, though, only because it would make it less likely that Wario Land 2 or Wario Land 3 (better entries in the series) would be selected in the future.

Having recently played Wario Land 3, I strongly prefer the pacing and design changes they made in 4. But maybe it's better not to discuss until finding out which game wins the poll. Do you talk about your preference on one of the Radio Trivia or NWR podcasts?

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
I chose Fire Emblem, since that's the ambassador game I've put the most time into, and also my favorite of the three.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline frostybro24

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
god im hoping for fire emblem. id never played one until two days ago and ive already put 10 hours into it
You got a small key! You're on your way!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
Of course I'm saying Fire Emblem. I'm knee deep in a backlog of games (must.finish.Skyward.Sword) I'm starting to get into my thesis, and I have plenty of work to do. But of course I can devote 20+ hours for Fire Emblem.

I've also never played The Sacred Stones.  :-\
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Eyothrie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »
I'll be happy with either Wario Land 4 or Fire Emblem.  I've never played either game, and I've never played any of the Fire Emblem games before.  I do enjoy Kirby, but I'm pretty burned out on them right now having played Mass Attack and a little Return to Dreamland multiplayer just in the past few months
RTR!

Offline fordrob

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
My first Wario Land game was Shake It.  After playing a bit of Wario Land 4, I was surprised by how similar the two were.  Do prior games in the series follow the same formula as well?
The Dude abides

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »
I went with Fire Emblem.  Mostly because of the excellent Ogre 64 Retroactive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
My first Wario Land game was Shake It.  After playing a bit of Wario Land 4, I was surprised by how similar the two were.  Do prior games in the series follow the same formula as well?

Some parts are similar, but the formula changes from game to game...

The first Wario Land is more of a traditional platformer, although quite slow paced and focused on gathering treasure and finding secrets. The second and third games are quite different, adding a lot of puzzle and story elements that weren't really there before - especially notable for changing Wario's abilities after interacting with certain enemy characters. The most recent Wario Land games return to a more traditional platforming structure and add the race to the starting point once you "finish" each level.

My favorite game in the series is Shake It, in part because of the gorgeous audio/visual but also because it has the fastest pace and most interesting level design. Little things like the secret maps and achievement-like goals also give it a huge boost over the more straight-forward Wario Land 4.  However, all of the games in this series are still fun to play and it's neat to see what changed (or didn't) between each release.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »
Fire Emblem was my choice. I have little interest in Wario Land, and without multiplayer, Amazing Mirror is just a bastardization of its former self.

Offline intervenient

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »
I voted Kirby, solely because I have no idea what is going on, and Jonny gave it a high review when it was launch.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
I voted Kirby, I've already played Wario and for the love of all that is holy, I cannot "speed run" Fire Emblem.   Beating the game in a number of weeks, for me, is speed running.   I just don't have that kind of time.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 04:07:30 AM »
... I kind of hope Wario Land 4 doesn't win, though, only because it would make it less likely that Wario Land 2 or Wario Land 3 (better entries in the series) would be selected in the future.

Having recently played Wario Land 3, I strongly prefer the pacing and design changes they made in 4. But maybe it's better not to discuss until finding out which game wins the poll. Do you talk about your preference on one of the Radio Trivia or NWR podcasts?
I touch on what I don't like about Wario Land 4 in Episode 102, but I really haven't delved into why I think WL3 is great on Radio Trivia. WL3 was used in Episode 2, but the discussion isn't noteworthy. You might want to check out WL2 in Episode 21.
Nintendo World Report

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »

I touch on what I don't like about Wario Land 4 in Episode 102, but I really haven't delved into why I think WL3 is great on Radio Trivia. WL3 was used in Episode 2, but the discussion isn't noteworthy. You might want to check out WL2 in Episode 21.

Always nice to have a reason to go back and listen to old episodes. Will gladly check out the episodes you mentioned. Thanks!

PS - Kind of hope Wario Land 4 does win. Talk about just Wario Land 4 might be somewhat limited, but hearing a discussion about this game in context of the whole series could be really interesting.

Offline Oreanta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »
I voted Fire Emblem... I played the one on Wii and really got into it both through the gameplay and the story, but I didn't feel engaged by the story at all in this game. I want to see what the RFN crew thinks about it.
Check out "The Other Side of the Flagpole", featured on the site! --> http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/28260

Offline hoho23

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
Went with Wario Land 4. I'm always in the mood for some 2D platforming. WL4 is a very good game that strays from the classic Mario formula. You can also see that the WarioWare games originated from this.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
Never played any of them.

I tell myself I like TBS games but I never end up finishing them.  I love the idea of main characters dying and still being able to progress (that's the hook of FE, right?).  I guess I'm just worried that the game will play out like Advanced Wars where missions become trial and error until you find the one and only way to win...

I like kirby fine, I just find I don't think the games are all that interesting or worth discussing.

Voted for Wario Land 4 since I think I'd like it best (of the 3) or hate it.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

I tell myself I like TBS games but I never end up finishing them.  I love the idea of main characters dying and still being able to progress (that's the hook of FE, right?).  I guess I'm just worried that the game will play out like Advanced Wars where missions become trial and error until you find the one and only way to win...

To answer your questions,

1) nearly any character can die (save for your main character, or the two main characters in this game) and the story will still progress, although for some of the more important characters "death" gets demoted into "too injured to fight, but still there for story segments."

2) The games are generally open-ended. The developers know there isn't any way to know what characters you'll have recruited or still alive, so there's never just one way to approach any given level. So there's not much trial and error. There is, however, a lot of times where bad luck will hamstring you, especially after you've played the stage for half an hour...

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

1) nearly any character can die (save for your main character, or the two main characters in this game) and the story will still progress, although for some of the more important characters "death" gets demoted into "too injured to fight, but still there for story segments."

2) The games are generally open-ended. The developers know there isn't any way to know what characters you'll have recruited or still alive, so there's never just one way to approach any given level. So there's not much trial and error. There is, however, a lot of times where bad luck will hamstring you, especially after you've played the stage for half an hour...
Thanks, that actually sounds pretty good.  I've often considered buying one of the FE games but figured that it was going to be like playing advanced wars which I thought were ok, but never really got into.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
I voted for Sacred Stones, as I've actually already started playing it. Can't wait to hear what you guys think... that is, IF it gets chosen!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
Sacred Stones looks to be a done deal at this point, so I wouldn't be imprudent to start now.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 08:51:20 AM »
Sacred Stones looks to be a done deal at this point, so I wouldn't be imprudent to start now.

Is this based on insider knowledge or just from the comments here? I've seen a good number of Wario votes, so without counting anything it seems like this could still be up in the air...

Edit:
Having counted the "confirmed" votes from this thread, the tally look roughly like:
Fire Emblem -- 11
Wario Land -- 8 (my vote was here, although not specified in the thread)
Kirby -- 4

There are several people who don't specify a vote, the possibility of people voting without leaving a comment, and the potential that votes could change from what was originally listed. However, Fire Emblem probably will be the winner based on current trends.

Edit 2:
The comment below is worth more than mine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:03:56 AM by ejamer »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »
Speaking as someone with insider knowledge, I assure you that it is most certainly not a done deal at this point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »
Speaking as someone with insider knowledge, I assure you that it is most certainly not a done deal at this point.
Insider Trading.  Where the police.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »
Insider Trading.  Where the police.

At the risk of this comment being marked as political...

It's ok, he's a congressman. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
Also, don't put too much stock in people's posts in this thread. Over three times as many people have voted so far than are counted in ejamer's post. So don't let other people's votes sway yours.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Also, don't put too much stock in people's posts in this thread. Over three times as many people have voted so far than are counted in ejamer's post. So don't let other people's votes sway yours.

Good to hear there is a strong voting turnout. I'm eager to play all three games, hopefully others are too.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
Blast my inexpensive non-ambassador 3DS. Retro games on a handheld just feels right. Hopefully another retroactive will be on 3DS.

Offline evolution4life

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »
I have voted Fire Emblem as it is the series I know the least about, so naturally I would love to know more. Sucks that I cant play along with any of these as I only have a 3ds and did not purchase it during the time before the ambassador program.

Looking forward to to playing along with a non GBA retro active or hopefully nintendo will hurry up and put these games on the eshop I would buy a few of them in a heartbeat. I love retroactive and as a long time listener its a great feature which really adds to the depth of the RFN show helping it to satisfy all my modern and retro needs.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »

I've only played Radiant Dawn, but if that game is any indication there's very little in the way of strategy in the game as most maps were very choke pointy so all you needed to do was control those areas. Then again I'm someone who very much prefers the strategy heavy advance wars to the more RPG-like fire emblem. So maybe I'm just more used to having a chess mindset while playing these kinds of games.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:55:49 AM by Lithium »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
I voted for Wario Land 4, though I have never played any of the three so I'll probably participate regardless of what is selected. I'm most interested in Wario Land 4 though, as I own every other Wario Land game except this one, for some reason. Maybe it's because I could never seem to find a copy in good condition for a decent price...

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
I voted for Fire Emblem. I think the game will allow for a More in depth discussion, then Kirby or Yosh or Wario, for that matter, There is a lot More to discuss then a Mario platformer.
I think its the Best choise for a Retro active, Bassed on Indepth discussion potential.

Offline dococtorok

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
I'm definitely hoping for Kirby - out of my Ambassador games it's the one I'm most willing to jump in to.  I've never touched the Fire Emblems, and I'm not sure going to start now (with the second one, even if it is more playable than the first), and I've played enough Wario games to know that I'm not a huge fan.  But since I have them all for free, I'll play whichever gets picked!

I don't post much here but I'm always hoping that RetroActive coincides with something I plan to play in the future anyway.  Great idea for a category.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
I played all them quickly and Fire Emblem seems like a great game, just right now I don't want to get involved with it. Maybe in a slow period.
Kirby was really confusing and not very interesting gameplay wise.

I actually bought Wario Land 4 a few years ago used for a few dollars and couldn't get into it. I might try it again.

I think Fire Emblem would be a boring podcast, and not much to say about Kirby besides its confusing so I voted for Wario Land 4. I didn't give it a fair chance before and I might try again now.

However I think Wario Ware Micro Games should be on the list, that game holds up really well after all the sequels. So much fun to play around in.

Offline MegaLegends3

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 01:40:26 AM »
Fire Emblem, all the way. I've heard a lot of bad things about Kirby and I am annoyed with it myself, and Wario Land 4 is just confusing to me. Plus, I LOOOOooooOOOooOooOOoVE strategy games.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 05:36:29 AM »
Blast my inexpensive non-ambassador 3DS. Retro games on a handheld just feels right. Hopefully another retroactive will be on 3DS.

Next retroactive:  VC Gameboy games?  Oh, yes.

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »
I've got a feeling Micro Games isn't on the list because there saving for a different categoried Retroactive.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
I've never touched the Fire Emblems, and I'm not sure going to start now (with the second one, even if it is more playable than the first),

If you're worried about the lack of continuity, the games are usually stand-alone, like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Sacred Stones doesn't even reference the prior games. Besides, Sacred Stones is, like, the eighth game in the series, not the second. :P

I've got a feeling Micro Games isn't on the list because there saving for a different categoried Retroactive.

The "Should Be On LSD When Playing" Retroactive is going to be amazing.

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Voted for Fire Emblem because I've not listened to the RFN crew discussing this series much.

Same here, haven't touch any of these though.

Offline Geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
I (an ambassador) voted for Kirby.  Of the 3 choices, this is the only one I've had a chance to play a bit of.  I read about the game on another website and the opinion was that it was an uneven game with some metroid-like exploration.  Some thought it was much more difficult than most Kirby games.  I shied away from Fire Emblem because I thought that it would be rather long in comparison to the others.  Wario was a close second choice, but what I've read about it indicates it is far from the best Wario game.  My time is so limited that I need a quick play game.
I posted the above yesterday.  After writing it I had a chance to play the other 2 games.  Wario was surprisingly good.  I enjoyed it more than Kirby.  The RPG, is frankly quite boring in my opinion.  I've had little experience playing JRPG's.  Maybe, given more playing time, I would feel differently.  I've only played the first chapter, and I was left with the feeling that I was doing nothing but clicking my way through a hackneyed story.  Even the battling was out of my control.  But it looks as if Fire Emblem will get the most votes. :@  Dunno if I'm dedicated enough to go much further with it.
It's been about a week since I initially posted this.  Since then, I've played 5 chapters of the Sacred Stones.  I'm liking it better than I thought I would.  The game is well polished.  My impression thus far is that the battling is easy.  My units seem so much stronger than the enemy.  My attacks rarely miss.  The enemy's attacks often miss.  Maybe things become more difficult later in the game.  I've only played about 20 percent of it.  The least attractive thing about this game is the story.  I do rapid key presses in the textual parts and quickly skim read my way through.   But overall, I'm happy with it ;D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:39:08 PM by Geezer »

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »
Face it, it's going to be Warioland 4, muwahahahahaha.

Well, one way or the other, I finally have the damn game that is going to be played!
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline HellsAttack

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
I voted for Fire Emblem because I never beat them. I'm a perfectionist and get soo pissed when one of my units dies. Maybe retroactive will make me finally finish one, Advance Wars are some of my favorite games.

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
Yeah, please don't vote for Fire Emblem, people.  I have a demanding job!  :'(
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline Da Jarvis

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
I just have to say, I love how people saying don't vote for fire emblem and everyone else is voting for it anyways xD. Anyways, I voted for Fire Emblem. I have played the game so much I could probably breeze through the game in a week and this game is the easiest in the series, simply because it's way to easy to abuse the challange tower or whatever it's called to level your troops up to way higher then they should be. I am excitted though and whatever game gets picked I am sure will be a blast
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:39:21 PM by Da Jarvis »
3DS Friend Code: 4038-6986-6300

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
Easy, sure. Time-consuming, yeah that too.

People who aren't interested in seeing Fire Emblem played/discussed are probably people like me who can't commit to playing through a long game in a timely fashion, and don't want spoilers. If it is selected, that pretty much locks me out from participating and kills any interest I have in listening until after I do find time for the game.

Not a knock against Fire Emblem. Definitely a knock against having a full time job, family commitments, and interests outside of just video games though.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »
Fire Emblem is our winner, by ONE VOTE!

Thanks to everyone who voted! Wario will return soon in a Second Chance poll.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline xcwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »
Ah, the only GBA game out of the 10 ambassador games I already had played gets selected. Darn. I guess I should have voted for Wario over Kirby, it would be a tie right now.

I like Fire Emblem, but I have too many games to beat to go back to beat something a second time. But I'll chime in if I can remember some stuff about it. It's been 5+ years.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay. I'm already half way through it anyways, might as well chip in my few cents.

Ah, the only GBA game out of the 10 ambassador games I already had played gets selected. Darn. I guess I should have voted for Wario over Kirby, it would be a tie right now.

You voted for Nader!!!

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
I changed my vote from Warioland to Fire emblem just a day or so ago...does that mean it's my fault that we're playing it?  :Q

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
I changed my vote from Warioland to Fire emblem just a day or so ago...does that mean it's my fault that we're playing it?  :Q
You got a butterfly ballot!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »
*Burns*Excellent*/Burns*
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »
Well I'm sitting this one out. Fire emblem isn't my thing and i don't think I have time to complete this in time for the retroactive anyways.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:23:34 PM by Lithium »

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
Awesome. It will be nice to play a new Nintendo franchise and genre as a group. I might hate it or end up loving it. From the little bit I've played it feels like it can go either way for me. In Wario Land's defense it is a great game and I hope it does get picked in another round of return RetroActives. But for now- enough with the platformers, let's Strategize!!
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Well I'm sitting this one out. Fire emblem isn't my thing and i don't think I have time to complete this in time for the retroactive anyways.

Yeah, I'm out too.

I barely have time to play quick sessions of WarioWare lately. Sitting though lengthy levels of Fire Emblem madness is great fun, but not something I can commit to this month.  Guess I'll be skipping that part of the show to avoid spoilers since I'm pretty excited about playing the game (eventually).

Hope others enjoy the game! It really is a great series IMO.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »
I'm happy Fire Emblem won.  As I said before I don't think either of the other two games are very good.  And I've already played a significant amount of Sacred Stones in the last month.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
The only game I've dabbled in in this series is Path of Radiance. This will be a nice reason for me to play a game through to the end, hopefully.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »
Holy crap that was close...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »
I thought I might be out but started playing it this morning on my commute. So, I guess I am in.

Here are my thoughts so far, since there does not yet appear to be a dedicated thread.

1. I have never played a Fire Emblem game before.

2. I am playing this one on the easy setting because the description said that was the only one with a tutorial.

3. I watched the whole intro video and also the rundown of unit types that follows. Nice variety. And there's dead, re-animated units. Ooooh, spooky. Also, I like the art style of the anime character protraits. Reminds me of how Puzzle Quest is presented. I realize Puzzle Quest is the imitator here, I just played that one first.

4. So far, the music is quite good too, though more "rockin' arcade" than I was expecting in a typical Nintendo game. Reminds me of a Capcom action game, like Megaman or something (though admittedly I have played very little MegaMans).

5. The tutorial so far is excellent. Walking me through, step by step. And I quite like the time it is taking with setting up the story, too. If it was all just turn-based action I might get put off. But they have cleverly hooked me by getting me to first give a crap about the characters and the world politics.

6. The text does not scroll fast enough. But I can get it to jump to the end of the scrolling by hitting the A button. Problem solved and thank you.

7. I have played the two Age of Empires DS games. I liked them both, the first one (Age of Kings) a bit better than the second (Mythologies). They are turn based strategy with different unit types and all that jazz, so this game is not as foreign to me as I thought it might be. I am digging the heavier story emphasis in this Fire Emblem game.

8. I like the "weapon triangle" rock-paper-scissors mechanic. Lance-beats-sword, sword-beats-axe, axe-beats-lance. Easy to remember and should be fun to play around with in the strategy. I am sure more strategy layers are coming.

9. I am VERY impressed with the music. I noticed about half way through the prologue chapter that it changes dynamically depending on the action of the chapter. It is seamless and the shifting music is pleasing and sets the tone of the action very well. I am really floored by this. It was very unexpected.

10. I have finished the prologue chapter and am about half way through chapter one proper. Some friendly units just showed up to help my fleeing princess and her knight. I think I get to control them next. All-in-all, I am pleased so far.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:21:47 AM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
Have been now looking through the "guide" screens as the tutorial helpfully told me to go check them out by clicking the A button anywhere on the map that is otherwise unoccupied. Lots of good info in there and its also where you can save or suspend the game. Game also auto-suspends if you head back to the 3DS home menu with the Home button.

But, on the downside, they have white lettering on a pale blue background all through the guides. I can barely make out the text. Squiniting abounds!

Lord, I am old.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:23:41 AM by Fatty_The_Hutt »
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline WaTanooki

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »
Warioland 4 gets my vote

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »
The official discussion thread is now available:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=36721.0
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
Warioland 4 gets my vote

;D

Out of curiousity though, what would've happened if the poll ended in a tie?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »
Jonny said somewhere that he would cast the deciding vote, and that he doesn't vote in the polls in case he needs to do that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2012, 11:24:53 PM »
Jonny said somewhere that he would cast the deciding vote, and that he doesn't vote in the polls in case he needs to do that.

Another mystery solved!  ;D Thanks!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
Warioland 4 gets my vote

;D

Out of curiousity though, what would've happened if the poll ended in a tie?
Reality Implosion.

James would be the Podcast Host Junky.  Dr.Metts be only on RFN.  Lindy be the most Consistant.  Greg would be Canadian.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »
Damnit, really was hoping it wouldn't be Fire Emblem, for the reason that everyone else cited:  time and length.

Oh well, I knew this could happen, so I'll still do it.  Though, maybe in the future we could have a genre-specific retroactive, like platformers or Kirby games or something to that effect?

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:35 PM »
I feel like I always vote for the third party candidate of Retroactive polls. Sigh.
Nintendo World Report

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:33 PM »
I didnt get to vote but i really like the winner, i have played WL4 alot, in the other hand i know little about fire emblem for GBA
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308