Author Topic: Zoo Tycoon DS Review  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zoo Tycoon DS Review
« on: November 10, 2005, 04:52:21 AM »
 Finally, after a four year wait, Zoo Tycoon has gone portable. While I hate to rain on anyone's parade, you may want to stop yourself from rushing off to the store until you finish reading this review.

This game is bad. It's not painfully bad, but it will bore you into hatred.

Zoo Tycoon's features include situational play, free play, and card viewing. Yup. That's it.

Since the game refused to be even remotely entertaining, the rest of this review will be in the form of a dialog between hope and reality so I can say I got some enjoyment out it.

HOPE: You say that the game is dull, but there's got to be so much depth in the game! It's a sim, after all!

REALITY: No. This is the baby pool of sim games. The challenges are simple to meet: build your zoo to specifications while on pause; unpause and let the game take its course; pause and meet any other time-based requirements if necessary (only on the harder levels); unpause and wait an interminably long time until you win. If you get bored, you can do some simple R&D projects and develop more animal toys or attractions, but that's about it. You don't even have control over pricing anything but the actual zoo admission fee.

HOPE: But the rewards for winning must be so sweet!

REALITY: Wrong again. All you get for meeting the weak sauce challenges are more obnoxious challenges.

HOPE: The game looked really nice on the PC;; on the DS hardware, it must be gorgeous!

REALITY: These are the ugliest graphics you'll find on the DS to date. The sprites are poorly animated, ugly, and washed out. Trying to decipher what is an anteater from a rhino, or a leopard from a tiger requires selecting the animal in question or memorizing exactly what you put in a particular spot. It's games like this that make me wonder why more pharmaceutical companies don't invest in in-game advertising. This game could sell buckets of Tylenol.

HOPE: I can just imagine how excellent it would be to use the stylus to build the zoo, so much more intuitive than using a mouse, since you could build by touching the map grid.

REALITY: That's half right. The game allows you to alter terrain and fences using the stylus on a map grid. The problem is that the grid provided on the touch screen is damn near incomprehensible. Essentially, you have to aim a too-large grid over an area in your zoo, using the d-pad, and match it with the grid on the bottom screen.

And while choosing from the menu is all done by touch screen, implementing any other changes to your zoo is done using the A and B buttons. So basically, you'll end up switching back and forth constantly from the stylus to the buttons because the interface is so poor.

HOPE: Well, what about the sound?

REALITY: Let's just say this game takes advantage of the fact that the DS has speakers. Minimal advantage. There are sounds in the game, but good luck figuring out what exactly it is you're hearing. I couldn't tell if the sandpaper sound I heard so often was my fountain or some animal frolicking in the grass.

HOPE: And the card collecting? That sounds fun! Like Pokemon!

REALITY: You can purchase animal cards while playing a scenario. If (okay, when ) you win, you get to keep those cards for your viewing pleasure at the menu screen. The cards are informative but lackluster, and collecting them isn't particularly exciting since it's such an easy accomplishment.

HOPE: Is there anything about the game you can recommend?

REALITY: Absolutely. Turning it off.  

Pros:
There are plenty of missions to keep you occupied.

Cons:
Awful graphics.
Worst possible control scheme for any game ever.
To mimic this game's sounds, simply roll around in a pile of dry leaves on an empty stomach.

Graphics: 1.0

The sprites are small and ugly, the color faded, and everything is choppy. Differentiating between your animals is a chore, and there's no way you'll figure out where your staff is just by looking at the screen. The camera has a zoom-out option which only shows you how much worse the game can be as navigating around the map becomes slow and choppy.

Sound: 1.0

There is sound. Most of it isn't worth hearing, but it's there. Most of the sound effects seem to be variations of paper being torn.

Control: 2.0

Control is the the only aspect of the game that isn't boring, because it's so painful. You'll need your stylus at the ready to navigate through the menu, build fences, and change the terrain; but don't forget that you have to use the B button to do just about everything else.

Gameplay: 3.0

Build and wait. Your emotions will be stirred, since this game exists only to make you hate it.

Lastability: 7.0

There is plenty to do in this game, though I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would want to do it.

Final Score (Not an average): 3.5

Zoo Tycoon DS wants to anger even the most die-hard sim fans. This game is just a cash-in for those who hoped for PC style games on the DS. While it gives you plenty of challenges, none of them are worth playing. Avoid at all costs.

"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Zoo Tycoon DS Review
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 01:50:24 PM »
Haha, wow. There was one stage there when I was actually interested in this game!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Zoo Tycoon DS Review
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 02:01:16 PM »
For some reason, this game found it's way into my collection...lol.

It really does have a ton of flaws. I'm amazed at how zoo simulations made in the early 90's are lightyeards beyond this in terms of depth, interface, AND excitement.

Nevertheless, I seem to have the odd ability of enjoying games because I want to enjoy them. With this game, I keep telling myself that I have to collect all the delightfully education animal cards!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »
I disagree with putting a 7.0 for lastability just because the content is there. For me a game could have one level but if it's addictive then 10.0 for lastability.

Offline FireEmblem87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 07:33:31 PM »
Heh, thanks for the warning, and for the funny story.

I had a feeling this game would suck, and apparently I was right.
If there was HTML, there'd be a cool sig here.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 08:47:10 PM »
"Lastability: 11/10
Lasts as long as you want and probably much longer."

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
RE:Zoo Tycoon DS Review
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 08:49:49 PM »
Hahaha.  Well, I had to be fair.  For those who do play it, it will last!  

And I was actually hoping it'd be good, too.  I was a huge fan of Roller Coaster Tycoon on the PC.
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »
Wasn't ZT made by Microsoft and was already panned when it came out for the PC? Chris Sawyer was the man behind RCT and I don't think he had a hand in ZT.