Author Topic: Nintendo DS Launch Details  (Read 34487 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Launch Details
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2004, 01:33:31 PM »
I think that six hours is good!  More would be nicer, but it's unlikely that most players will use up six hours in one sitting.  I only recharge my GBA about once a week as it is, I think this is a small sacrifice - and Nintendo is usually pretty honest, even conservative, about battery life.  When Sony says 2-10 hours for PSP, I take that to mean 2 hours 90% of the time, and 10 hours 1% of the time.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2004, 01:41:42 PM »

This makes me think if 6hours is the min battery life for the Ds then how can the psp possibly last longer than 3 hours with moving parts and a huge screen.

The rumored numbers on the PSP's battery life are "2-10 hours". The "10 hour" figure is for playing Sony-branded MP3s, which run off the Memory Stick (which is like a cartrige) not the mini-DVD drive, having the screen turned completely off, and probably listening with the headphones, not the built-in speakers. The "2 hour" figure is if you try to watch a movie on the thing. Videogames will be in-between somewhere, likely on the bad-end on the scale.

Mabye the battery is as big as the unit itself.

They've already talked about a "Battery Expansion Pack" for the PSP, which you can strap onto your forearm.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS Launch Details
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2004, 01:43:09 PM »
"They've already talked about a "Battery Expansion Pack" for the PSP, which you can strap onto your forearm. "

Seriously? No, seriously?
If that's true, just chuck the "coolness" factor right out the window.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2004, 01:50:29 PM »
IGN PSP

According to the article, the PSP battery pack is meant to be worn on players' wrists -- we're not sure how this works, considering that the battery was nearly the size of the PSP at E3 (the article mentions that the final version will be 8mm thick). Running time of either the battery pack or the system itself was not discussed.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2004, 01:51:59 PM »
I'm a tad bit confused on this whole "not using the gba/gbn link cable".....  If it plays gba games it should have been relatively simple to include this...  Does this just mean a ds can't play a gba game with a gba and it can play a gba game with another ds? or neither?  I'm a might been confused as it sounds awfully silly.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2004, 02:01:01 PM »
The DS does not sport the cabe, and doesn't support multiplayer that utilizes the cable, I don't know about the new Pokemon Games that use the Wireless adapter, those may work. So just count on no being able to use the Multiplayer function on any of the GBA titles.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2004, 02:27:26 PM »
Nintendo's official site said that the DS is only compatible on the GBA games side only the SINGLE PLAYER features.  I think Nintendo just put the GBA port on the DS just for people who want to play single player GBA games and/or as a "expansion port" for DS games ect. ect.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2004, 02:39:21 PM »
Hmmm, 6 hours? That's not so good considering Nintendo are encouraging people to take it outside to find other DSs and all that, and if you leave it on for a whole day for communication or whatever, the battery would die before you can get home... AND you'd have to remember to recharge it every day.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2004, 03:06:43 PM »
I thought that was 6 hours of active use.

The Spidey Senses energy-saving Sleep Mode doesn't count towards the 6 hours as normal operation would, I'm inclined to think.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2004, 03:14:04 PM »
... and pokemon is denied ...
So nintendo is officially gonna make us start pokemon over AGAIN.  =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2004, 03:42:06 PM »
It should be obvious that a Pokemon DS will be made...Just keep your SPs...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2004, 03:45:12 PM »
Everything has pretty much been said, but I just cant contain myself, so bear with me, I just have to say one thing.   This is Nintendo's way of saying Sony Can Suck It.  The DS looks great and I cant wait to get my hands on one.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2004, 03:51:03 PM »

this is like watching your favorite sports team suddenly get an all star player out of nowhere and then lighting their opponents on fire.

how those two go together...just use your imagination
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2004, 04:19:31 PM »

The GC MP wasn't basically done in the last 6 months, just because they only showed the Space Station. That's all they felt confident about showing, among other reasons

No seriously, that's what Nintendo told us at E3 this year.  In terms of level-design, the space station was all they had complete.  They did that entire planet between E3 and November.  Of course, just like any game, it takes time to get your engine and assets all put together first.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2004, 05:05:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Chongman
this is like watching your favorite sports team suddenly get an all star player out of nowhere and then lighting their opponents on fire.

Ninty may have gotten their all-star player, but they havent set the PSP on fire.........yet.  Maybe now sony will realize that they cant just expect to be the leader of any video game market, just because they are sony.   I am glad to see that Nintendo is taking sony seriously this time.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2004, 05:23:41 PM »
I can't believe more of you didn't mention this:  

I thought the best number I read when reading this wasn't 149 (although that was incredible), but was instead 40 million.  That just blew me away.  $40 million on marketing, nice job Nintendo!
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2004, 06:12:38 PM »

Originally posted by: b0rg
Hey all..

I am a little confused about the WiFi/Multiplayer.  Will you be able to link up over the internet and play anybody online around the world, or is this strictly for playing with someone next to you?

Thanks!

The built-in WiFi adapter makes it compatible with 802.11 wireless internet adapters, meaning it can be connected to the internet for (broadband) internet play.

The DS ALSO has a separate multiplayer connectivity for nearby players.
"wow."

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2004, 06:59:59 PM »

even if nintendo doesn't sweep the consoles like they did last year, they'll still win this holiday season...so regardless of how well halo2 sells, ninty can stand their ground.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2004, 07:07:48 PM »
It's about time Nintendo got it's stuff together when it comes to system launching. The launch is the most important time for a system. Especially for the DS which will only have a short lead on the PSP. It's nice to see that Nintendo is apparantly thinking ahead on this one.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2004, 07:33:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Chongman

how those two go together...just use your imagination

LOL thats exactly what it seems like to me. I couldnt have put it better

Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2004, 11:37:24 PM »
Bloodworth: Not complete != not started. They could have finished all but one room in a sector and call it "incomplete".

The 6 hour minimum is likely a lab number, full load all the time. WiFi eats lots of power and I'm sure their full-load test also included full WiFi use over that entire time. Nintendo is REALLY conservative when it comes to these numbers, not saying anything they haven't made the system do. 6-10 hours is probably like the GC doing 10Mtris/sec maximum. People like me, who always turn off e.g. the sound of a handheld in public, are likely going to have more battery life than an all out online gamer. WiFi is the main power eater and it's not going to be used that much in a real life situation.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2004, 11:59:04 PM »

They could have finished all but one room in a sector and call it "incomplete".

How about we breathe and re-read my entire post instead of treating one sentence like an isolated statement?
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2004, 02:19:22 AM »
Yeah I'm definately getting the DS (probably the black model), but there is something holding me back from buying it at launch and that is that I haven't seen any launch game list. I don't care if it comes with a Metroid demo, to me that just seems like they aren't going to have enough or any good games for launch so they just throw in a demo to shut us up in the meanwhile.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2004, 03:14:54 AM »

Battery: Lithium ion battery delivering six to 10 hours of play on a four-hour charge, depending on use; power-saving sleep mode; AC adapter
has nintendo specified if that's 6-10 hours when playing a DS game?  could it be ~6 hours when playing a DS game (which uses 2 screens) and ~10 hours when playing a GBA game or a DS game that only uses a single screen?    
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2004, 04:36:49 AM »
The "they did all of it between E3 and release" bit sounded like your conclusion.

Caliban: Silver&Black is one system color, the thing just has two colors in its design.

kingvudu: I'd guess that means DS games. WiFi makes much more of a difference than DS/GBA.