Author Topic: EA sends out Warnings!  (Read 7262 times)

Offline iMoron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:EA sends out Warnings!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 10:32:41 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Nope

Thats why I hate them...

Burnout sold well on the cube... and they desided, since they are total retards, not to realease it for the cube...

If they keep on realeasing so many sequels at the rate they realease them (every 6 month)... they will inundate the market with crapware... oh, wate, thats whats hapenig already....

the worst thing of it is that the few good game get ignored under the pletoa of "so, so" games...

EA... go to hell...
Frustrated game developer...

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »
I wouldn't say they kept the gameplay intact, i think they made it more mainstream to attrack more gamers

they made it similar to warcraft/ starcraft / age of empires, they eliminated the left hand task bar for unit and building production which is what made it unique, that and missles (projectiles) fired in red alert were never guarenteed hits like in WC SC and AoE, you could move out of the way to reduce dmg, although i can't remember if they are in generals

either way red alert was westwoods greatest hit and in my opinion none of their other games were as good, in fact i perfer red alert over any other strategic type game (unless you categorize pikmin under there)

i also here EA is releasing a Comand and Conquer compilation pack

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: EA sends out Warnings!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 09:40:07 PM »
Only homing projectiles (and obviously hitscan but that's not a change from C&C) were guranteed hits in Generals I think and considering the number of anti-missile measures in Generals you'd be better off relying on tank cannons instead. I don't think they properly balanced missile and non-missile weapons though since anti-missile systems weren't a big part before Zero Hour.

The sidebar was a relic, a piece of gameplay that was only introduced because they didn't know any better. It prevented you from building two units at once and made it impossible to maintain two bases at the same time. There are games that implemented sidebars without the drawbacks involved but C&C wasn't one of them and in that case I prefer the Warcraft style of production.

I was quite young when I still played Red Alert and I'm not sure I ever grasped the basic strategies of the game before moving on but overall I'd say that Total Annihilation beats C&C. Perimeter and Earth (even 2160) were superior to (pre-Generals) C&C as well IMO.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 04:19:59 AM »
Ah, buts thats where the beauty of the game was, the fact only one unit could be produced at a time meant stricter measure of game play, no starcraft style of sending in everything to die, because you have 17 factories/ hives / gateways that will reproduce everything in 5 mins, units were treated with care i that game, thats what i liked most about it, that and money storage

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: EA sends out Warnings!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2006, 05:10:00 AM »
In Star Craft you can't afford to do useless rushes either because ressources don't regenerate. All the sidebar meant was that you'd have to watch it and click it again immediately when a unit was produced to keep up maximum output. The queueing in later C&Cs reduced that problem but those queues were still limited and buildings had no queue. When you're used to Total Annihilation's interface any arbitrary restrictions feel cumbersome. Personally I prefer less micromanagement in my games to let me concentrate on the macromanagement.