Author Topic: New Wii U Firmware Update Live  (Read 17447 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii U Firmware Update Live
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
I don't see Nintendo patching again to allow GamePad controls in Wii Mode. That's one of the main advantages of upgrading VC games. Nintendo won't give that for free if they're trying to sell people on upgrading.

I'm still hoping Nintendo just gets rid of Wii Mode altogether and lets us boot Wi games directly from the Wii U menu. Not sure that will happen, but a girl can dream...

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
I'm still hoping Nintendo just gets rid of Wii Mode altogether and lets us boot Wi games directly from the Wii U menu. Not sure that will happen, but a girl can dream...

I don't see that ever happening either. The system is literally rebooting as a Wii when it is in Wii Mode. If you know you want to play a Wii game, you can boot directly into Wii Mode from power-on.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »
I think Nintendo can do it; I'm not sure they ever will. Is it worth the trouble to make backwards compatibility friendlier? No, not when Wii U can use their full attention, but it sure would be nice.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »
so does this mean we can play VC games in Wii mode on the gamepad?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
I'm really happy to see the Wii Mode output to GamePad, but it stinks that you HAVE to have the TV on and using the Wii U in order to launch Wii Mode.  My family was watching TV all night last night while the Wii U was updating.  When the update finished, I excitedly went to launch Wii Mode to test out the new feature, only to be told that if the TV wasn't displaying the Wii U at the time you launch Wii Mode, that it couldn't launch the mode at all.  Seems like such a small thing, but now I have to hijack the TV for 2 seconds and then give it back which is just dumb.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
Yes I played Super Mario 3 last night on my gamepad with a wii remote

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
I'm really happy to see the Wii Mode output to GamePad, but it stinks that you HAVE to have the TV on and using the Wii U in order to launch Wii Mode.  My family was watching TV all night last night while the Wii U was updating.  When the update finished, I excitedly went to launch Wii Mode to test out the new feature, only to be told that if the TV wasn't displaying the Wii U at the time you launch Wii Mode, that it couldn't launch the mode at all.  Seems like such a small thing, but now I have to hijack the TV for 2 seconds and then give it back which is just dumb.

Actually if you hold the B button while booting the Wii U it'll go right into Wii mode. I did it last night.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
I think Nintendo can do it; I'm not sure they ever will. Is it worth the trouble to make backwards compatibility friendlier? No, not when Wii U can use their full attention, but it sure would be nice.

If someone could make the Dolphin emulator play Wii & GC games on my home computer with chips and graphic processors that are nothing like what was in the Wii/GC, then I'm sure Nintendo can make Wii games play on the Wii U w/o booting into the archaic Wii mode.

They just won't because they like to nickel and dime us, and they often lack the foresight to not create obstacles that are more trouble than their worth to overcome later on. This is why we often get into the cycle of stupid workarounds.

Offline Cyrian

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
Do these updates delete material from older updates that's no longer relevant? At file sizes this big it won't be long before people with Basic systems run out of room for updates. =/

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »
Do these updates delete material from older updates that's no longer relevant? At file sizes this big it won't be long before people with Basic systems run out of room for updates. =/
I'm a proud Basic owner, and my free space on internal hard drive hasn't decreased severely after the patch. It's was about 2–3 Gbs and stayed that way. Usually when you update OS it overwtites system files instead addingnew ones.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
Played some Wii games on the Game Pad today (Wario Land Shake It, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario RPG). Have to say, they looked good and played well. Considering the lack of titles, it's really a shame this wasn't here earlier-it's a halfway-decent selling point.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »
I agree with yoshi I'm now more willing to buy wii VC games instead of waiting

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 04:29:19 AM »
There are a few changes in particular that I really like from this update - the ability to see the amount of data downloaded for eShop titles next to the progress bar, eg. 18mb/22mb
I also like the fact that the friends list is now accessible from the main menu instead of the home button menu, it's much more straightforward.

I don't know how I feel about the new eShop music, though. I'd just gotten familiar enough with the old one to find myself humming along as I browsed the VC titles.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
What I want to know is what happens when I win the line up game that's going on while the eShop loads.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 12:24:45 AM »
so does this mean we can play VC games in Wii mode on the gamepad?

Yes. Played some Faxanadu yesterday.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
Actually if you hold the B button while booting the Wii U it'll go right into Wii mode. I did it last night.

When I do this while the TV is not tuned into the Wii U, I get a message on the GamePad stating that Wii Mode cannot launch, and that the TV must be on and displaying the Wii U before Wii Mode starts. 

There is literally no way for me to get into Wii Mode unless I have the TV on and showing the Wii U.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
That's odd I wonder why

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »
Is your Wii U hooked up via Component or HDMI?

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
Mine? HDMI

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Mine too.  I read somewhere that if you go into the Wii U settings and switch your display from "HDMI" to "Non HDMI" than my error goes away.

I tried it, and it worked. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
YES FINALLY I can connect the Wii U sound to my stereo. I guess it hasn't been long enough to say "finally" since I've had it for like a week, but still, it really bugged me.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »
I'm really struggling to make off-screen Wii playing useful.  It just seems like I have to lie the gamepad in an awkward position since I can't use the controls on that.  That takes a good deal of the fun since I'm in an uncomfortable position.  Anybody been able to make a decent set-up? 

Jokingly, I keep thinking of a virtual boy type device where the game pad is attached to my head. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
I'm really struggling to make off-screen Wii playing useful.  It just seems like I have to lie the gamepad in an awkward position since I can't use the controls on that.  That takes a good deal of the fun since I'm in an uncomfortable position.  Anybody been able to make a decent set-up?

If you really must use that feature, I suggest you set up something like a coffee table or nightstand in front of you and set the Gamepad on it in its charging cradle (if you have one. I'm assuming you got the Deluxe). That'll hold the Gamepad in a fixed position so you can free up your hands for using the Wii's controls.  That's just about the only way I can think of to make off-screen Wii play without GamePad controls remotely useful.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.