Author Topic: Define The GameCube: Game of the Generation.  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Define The GameCube: Game of the Generation.
« on: February 20, 2006, 04:40:07 PM »
Well there you have it folks.  It's over.  As another chapter in Nintendo history comes to an end, I believe now is the time.  Time to reflect on the glory of the Nintendo GameCube. Time to bask in the greatness of gameplay she has bestowed upon us.  It's time to "DEFINE THE GAMECUBE." If you had to pick a game (and a honorable mention) that defines the system what would it be? What did you feel was the pick of the litter?  Was it Smash Brothers, with it's phenomenal replay value? Metriod Prime with some of the finest gameplay ever? How about The Wind Waker? RE4? F-Zero GX maybe? What do you feel is the Best Game Of The Generation?

...and before you say it. In my eyes, The Legend of Zelda: TWILIGHT PRINCESS, no matter how good, great or perfect of a game it is sure to be, CANNOT define the GameCube. Its going to come out too close to the Revolution for it to stand any chance of "fairly impacting" the Gamecube or her fanbase. So please, until that day comes...
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Define The GameCube: Game of the Generation.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 04:51:38 PM »
For replay, it's Smash Bros and Animal Crossing but for the overall experience it's Metroid Prime or WW. It depends on your own tastes in style and genre though.  
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:11:21 PM »
Its hard to pic just one and a honorable mention. There were many great games, it all really depends on the genre.

The biggest highlights for this gen for me where:

Fighing you had:
-Super Smash Bros Melee
honorable mention: Soul Calibur II.

Racing:
-F-Zero GX
honorable mention: Mario Kart Double Dash

Sports:
-Super Mario Strikers
honorable mention: Mario Golf

FPS:
-Metroid Prime
honorable mention: Geist

Music:
-Donkey Konga (JP Edition)

RPG:
-Tales of Symphonia
honorable mention: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Might not have been the best game, But who cares all that matters is Square is back with the Big N!)

Virtual Life:
-Animal Crossing

Platformer:
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Sure it was a DreamCast game, But it was the first Sonic game on a Nintendo Console!)

Adventure:
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
honorable mention: Resident Evil 4  
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Define The GameCube: Game of the Generation.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:40:50 PM »
How can you know that TP is the best action-adventure game when you haven't even played it yet?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 06:14:37 PM »
Because it's Zelda, but I already DQ'd TP so I guess my words are meaningless and hollow (like my paycheck).  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »
Pikmin 2.

In Nintendo's greatest moments they have made games I would consider virtually perfect in that there's pretty much nothing you could say was wrong with them and that even now they still hold up.  Personally I felt the Cube was short on these types of titles and Pikmin 2 is one of only  three Cube games I would consider perfect.

The first game was fantastic but suffered from the 30 day time limit.  Metroid Prime is close but there are a couple issues in both of those games that hurt it slightly.  Wind Waker has tedious sailing and an annoying tacked on fetch quest.  But Pikmin 2 I find perfect.  What an amazing game.

The other two perfect Cube games are Super Smash Bros Melee and Ikaruga.  I can't find anything wrong with these games.  Pikmin 2 gets my pick because I just personally like it best of the three.

Metroid Prime is really close to perfect though.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
Too close to call between SSBM, Pikmin 2 and F-Zero GX. Even though F-Zero was a bit shallow, I loved that game. The pure gameplay just appealed to me so much.. Unlocking the AX Cup was an amazing feeling. And I wholeheartedly agree with Ian that Pikmin 2 was awesome. It was just beautiful.

Honourable mentions include Eternal Darkness (best of the rest), Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Sunshine & Wind Waker.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 07:19:35 PM »
Smells like a poll.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
The GameCube's defining moment was the finishing blow in Wind Waker. No other ending to anything has made me scream "YES!" in a rather orgasmic fashion like that ending did.

The GameCube's defining game is Metroid Prime. No other game does a better job at making you feel like you really are the protagonist. Plus, it's friggin gorgeous.  

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »
Another for Pikmin 2. The sequel made huge strides over the first while maintaining its charm. Metroid Prime is my second, also, but I'll admit that I don't consider that as the game because it's so universally praised. Pikmin 2 is an undersold, underrated underdog. And so it represents the GameCube better than any other game.  
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
For me Metroid Prime is not only the best game on the GameCube, next to The Ocarina of Time, it is the best game I have ever played. Never have I ever been so engrossed with the tidbits and tedium of a game. Scaning every bit of data, every creature, every weapon. Feeling lost on an alien world with only a faint idea of whats to come. Metriod Prime is P.O.R.N. (Perfectness Offered by Rerto & Nintendo).

After Metroid Prime it gets hard. F-Zero GX is the best racing game this gen(maybe ever?) from a gameplay standpoint. Resident Evil 4 is better than most action movies offered by hollywood in the five(5) years. SSB:M So good after all this time.  But I'm going to go with Star Wars: Rouge Sqaudron II. From the time I played it in the Cube clubs back in the summer of 2001 until I got it on that night 12:07(I still have the pre-order slip) from my man Tee on South Street later that November, till the first time I played the Battle of Endor, Star Wars: Rouge Squadron II was the reason I bought a Gamecube in the first place. And if it was the only game I ever played on the system, it would have been well worth the purchuse.

Thank you Nintendo GameCube, thank you.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:16:23 PM »
Metroid Prime or Wind Waker... Hm, both had those goddamn fetch quests at the end. But at least in Prime they were somewhat bearable (except for the two translation errors that made the hints point at the wrong rooms! Grrrrrrrrr). I'll have to side with Prime here. Or maybe Four Swords Adventures (which unfortunately was way too easy). Never played Pikmin 2.

Renny, no linking HOTU because they have a few ROMs on there as well

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:44 PM »
Too hard to say, so i'm going back to replay SSBM, Metroid Prime, Pikmin 2, Jungle Beat, and Resident Evil 4 right now, and i'll be back with a decision in a few years.

Mario Power Tennis wins best multiplayer though... and Sonic Mega Collection wins best Sonic collection.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 08:58:51 PM »
Pokemon Channel.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 09:52:35 PM »
Metroid Prime, no comparison.

Quoth a friend when the game came out: "So this is why you bought a Gamecube. It's a Metroid Prime Box."
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 09:53:55 PM »
No way I could pick just one.  Gamecube has had some of my favorite titles to date.  And it's impossible to say, because it's lifetime isn't quite over.
I have to say, Metroid Prime (both games), Wind Waker, Pikmin 2, Jungle Beat, and Paper Mario 2 are probably my favorite single player games.  Pikmin 2 also had really fun two player, my friend and I laughed so hard.

Multiplayer goes to Super Smash Brothers Melee and Mario Kart: Double Dash, easily.  Put tons of hours into these.
Four Swords (which I ever only played alone), Luigi's Mansion, and F-Zero GX get honorable mentions, for being quite fun but not as substantial.  Well, F-Zero is pretty substantial, just not among my top favorites.

Killer 7 may also be among my top favorites, for being the first video game story I ever truly enjoyed (aside from Link's Awakening, which is my favorite game ever).

My all-time defining game for Gamecube, however, is SSBM.  Played that game more than any other game ever, even more than Starfox 64, probably.  So many fun times had with this game, it'd the defining game of this generation, for me.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 07:11:19 AM »
SSB:M
No other game has kept me coming back more often, and to play more feverishly. Sure some games like RE4 will have me play a Mercenary Mode game for awhile, but SSB:M is one of those few classics that will hook me back in and make me addicited all over again to the point where it's hard to put the controller down.

Runner up for me would be Tales of Symphonia, which was such a blast to play that I beat it three times in a row.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 07:34:40 AM »
Geist, MP1, Donkey Konga (JP), Eternal Darkness, MGS, RE4, F-Zero GX and of course, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2.

The only thing memorable about WW was the ending. The rest of the game is a blur with the possible exception of when you first saw the 'dorf.

SSBM was an incredible disappointment because it shifted the focus of the game from skill and strategy to speed and reflex.

Pikmin was a cute idea but people with OCD should avoid games like that.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 08:54:40 AM »
Yeah, no polls...  This wouldn't turn out good.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram